Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

vyelkin posted:

Can you get pictures for existing designs in existing games, or does pretty picture mode only apply to new designs or new games? How do you see the picture anyway?

It's not 100% automatic but it reduces the whole image process to point and click, drag and drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

Pharnakes posted:

You've got very lucky then. You can and will suffer Tsushima style disasters if you neglect extended armour before your subdivision and damage control tech has caught up. Loosing battleships to 6" guns is shameful, don't do it.

In a game where you can 100% control going into battle or not based on the conditions you should not be losing battleships in a knife fight, I think.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

NickBlasta posted:

In a game where you can 100% control going into battle or not based on the conditions you should not be losing battleships in a knife fight, I think.

On the other hand, refusing battle every time tends to lose wars.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Wait, people refuse battle? I don't play to win, I play to smash fleets against each other. If mine comes out ontop its a small bonus.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Wait, people refuse battle? I don't play to win, I play to smash fleets against each other. If mine comes out ontop its a small bonus.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Sorry, stupid doublepost. I guess i'll eat a probation.

Party In My Diapee fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Nov 27, 2015

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Pharnakes posted:

Pharnakes posted:

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Refusing battle seems like it's supposed to be something you actually weigh doing. I don't mind eating 200 points in war score or whatever to turn down a size 1 battleship encounter if that means my fleet will be at full strength during the inevitable fleet battle.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Has anyone ever had anything bad happen from building oil-fired battleships without oil access in the late game?

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

xthetenth posted:

On the other hand, refusing battle every time tends to lose wars.

Not really. The penalty, even from constantly refusing, is extremely small compared to the VP gain from even a medium sized victory.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

NickBlasta posted:

Not really. The penalty, even from constantly refusing, is extremely small compared to the VP gain from even a medium sized victory.

If you're regularly sinking cruisers with battlecruisers you can decline every other battle and still be thousands of VP ahead.

And if you can get a blockade in place you can basically decline every battle except ones that massively favour you, get well out ahead in VP, and starve out the other country while invading colonial possessions.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Arglebargle III posted:

Has anyone ever had anything bad happen from building oil-fired battleships without oil access in the late game?

I have not seen anything related to this.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

Everybody gets oil after 1920 isn't it?

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
This game could be a beautiful friendship destroyer if it had multiplayer. Not talking about nation vs nation, but everyone beeing a high ranking navy officer in the same navy, fighting over a shared budget and control of fleet assets. A large part of my enjoyment comes from all the political highjinx that goes on in the background and constantly ruins your carful planning, knowing that part of the problems you're facing are a direct result of other players action would just be too good of a game. :allears:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Back To 99 posted:

Sorry, stupid doublepost. I guess i'll eat a probation.
Double-posting is not probatable anymore. Post as much as you want.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Pharnakes posted:

Everybody gets oil after 1920 isn't it?

Yeah, don't think you can build oil fired ships without access at all either.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Arglebargle III posted:

I've taken an oil-fired ship as reparations before 1920, as a country with no oil access, and I think it still worked.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
I think it only matters when building(maybe rebuilding as well).

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
One of the really stupid things is you can't rebuild a ship made in a foreign yard in your own yard - the foreign builders have to be willing and able to rebuild it for you using their own tech.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Well that's not true.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
It is if the boat was made with tech your shipyards still do not have, even if your refit has nothing to do that particular technology/feature.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

As far as I can tell I have everything I need here:

But I still can't rebuild these ships with Directors. +Director, -2 UW torpedos is the only change I'm making.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
You need to select something in the "Build at yard" menu I think.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Amidst massive dreadnought fleets and roaming invasion forces.

:allears:

edit: I just ticked 'Unrestricted' for submarine warfare as tensions other than the country I was at war with are very low. 33 ships sunk in one month. :psypop:

TehKeen fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Nov 29, 2015

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

TehKeen posted:

edit: I just ticked 'Unrestricted' for submarine warfare as tensions other than the country I was at war with are very low. 33 ships sunk in one month. :psypop:

The problem with unrestricted warfare isn't tensions, it's that sinking neutrals tanks your prestige fast. You won't lose the war, you'll straight up get sacked.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Yeah, I wasn't entirely sure of the downsides. I wanted to try building a big-ship navy for fun but with subs to actually win the war and I didn't think to tick the box until I had ~40 70%+ reliability SS's. God drat, Italy tanked so hard after that. I was getting roughly three messages about Italian food shortages per turn.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

TehKeen posted:

I'm sure this sub captain decided to exercise the deck gun and got a bit more than he was expecting. Or something.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

TheDemon posted:

But I still can't rebuild these ships with Directors. +Director, -2 UW torpedos is the only change I'm making.

See the "Build at yard in" box on top left? Select "Local yard" there.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

TehKeen posted:

I've used a lot of subs in all my games so far and I've had turns where they sink 70+ ships. The cost/benefit is absolutely crazy. Has anyone done a sub-only approach?

To that end, I tried a full-on guerre de course approach with my latest Germany game: for my legacy fleet I didn't build any battleships at all, just a horde of cruisers that I'd use solely as raiders. The plan long term was to not build any battleships until I could build proper ones and instead rely on these two designs for everything:

The CAs were able to stand up to Bs at least long enough to give them something to think about (they should, they weighed as much or more) and of course they ate anything lighter for lunch. The CLs were fast enough to run from anything scary and outclassed every other CL to the point where they could normally sink an opposing CL 1 on 1.

The kaiser buffooned his way into war with the UK in 1903 (I think) which was WAY earlier than I wanted and it went on for a long time. We were blockaded of course, but the raiders did pretty brilliantly so both me and the Brits were suffering food shortages, demonstrations, etc. They absolutely wrecked the British cruiser fleet and even had very successful fleet battle (at night, in the rain of course) versus the battleships. We were both near collapse by 1907; that year I got two things that broke the deadlock: 24 subs, and a pair of modern battlecruisers that were more or less gamebreaking. I DIDN'T SAVE A SCREENSHOT OF THEM which sucks, but I think they launched in 1907, weighed 27k tons, had 6x13 with 12" belts, and could make 29 knots (they got a big boost during "trials"). So, I think at the time they were launched, they were simultaneously the heaviest, best armed, best armored, and fastest ships in the world. They started wrecking legacy battleships and the subs started sinking merchants and the UK ended up collapsing probably a couple of turns before I would have.

edit - also, has someone figured out the optimal 52k ton design yet? I went with this cir 1918:

I think that's AoN armor, and it is very well protected compared to her competitors (the Brits 50ktn BB has an 11" belt which seems ridiculously low for that size of ship, with the same armament). I'm curious what the optimal design is, I doubt this is it.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Nov 29, 2015

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Does anyone here continue to build capital ships with submerged tubes after the first year or so? I don't think I've ever actually a B or CA launch a torpedo, even at knife-fight ranges at night. I've always saved the displacement for other things on new construction, and removed them at first refit. More main gun ammunition is better use of the weight. Anyone have a counter argument?

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
When you're at knife-fight ranges or at night, you can manually launch your capital ships' torpedoes and kill dozens of enemy ships in one battle.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

bewbies posted:

I've used a lot of subs in all my games so far and I've had turns where they sink 70+ ships. The cost/benefit is absolutely crazy. Has anyone done a sub-only approach?

To that end, I tried a full-on guerre de course approach with my latest Germany game: for my legacy fleet I didn't build any battleships at all, just a horde of cruisers that I'd use solely as raiders. The plan long term was to not build any battleships until I could build proper ones and instead rely on these two designs for everything:

The CAs were able to stand up to Bs at least long enough to give them something to think about (they should, they weighed as much or more) and of course they ate anything lighter for lunch. The CLs were fast enough to run from anything scary and outclassed every other CL to the point where they could normally sink an opposing CL 1 on 1.

The kaiser buffooned his way into war with the UK in 1903 (I think) which was WAY earlier than I wanted and it went on for a long time. We were blockaded of course, but the raiders did pretty brilliantly so both me and the Brits were suffering food shortages, demonstrations, etc. They absolutely wrecked the British cruiser fleet and even had very successful fleet battle (at night, in the rain of course) versus the battleships. We were both near collapse by 1907; that year I got two things that broke the deadlock: 24 subs, and a pair of modern battlecruisers that were more or less gamebreaking. I DIDN'T SAVE A SCREENSHOT OF THEM which sucks, but I think they launched in 1907, weighed 27k tons, had 6x13 with 12" belts, and could make 29 knots (they got a big boost during "trials"). So, I think at the time they were launched, they were simultaneously the heaviest, best armed, best armored, and fastest ships in the world. They started wrecking legacy battleships and the subs started sinking merchants and the UK ended up collapsing probably a couple of turns before I would have.

edit - also, has someone figured out the optimal 52k ton design yet? I went with this cir 1918:

I think that's AoN armor, and it is very well protected compared to her competitors (the Brits 50ktn BB has an 11" belt which seems ridiculously low for that size of ship, with the same armament). I'm curious what the optimal design is, I doubt this is it.

That isn't AoN armour, it would say if it is. You must have missed getting that tech, so that ship would probably sink relatively easily to bow/stern hits. Also you have way to much secondary armour, not enough turret, conning tower or deck armour and BBs should always have speed priority engines, in my opinion at least.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Pharnakes posted:

That isn't AoN armour, it would say if it is. You must have missed getting that tech, so that ship would probably sink relatively easily to bow/stern hits. Also you have way to much secondary armour, not enough turret, conning tower or deck armour and BBs should always have speed priority engines, in my opinion at least.

I was going off this post:

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Naw, that's the confusing part. It just kicks in when you get the tech, and any ships built after with no DE and BE and "Flat Deck on top of Belt" will be considered to have AON.

I definitely have the tech, did I miss something?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
It should say AoN to the right of the box you click to select armour schemes.

Like so:

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Are you on the latest patch? The AoN sign wasn't in at launch.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Am I using an old version then? That definitely isn't in my game.

edit - yep I sure was

bewbies fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 29, 2015

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

bewbies posted:

Am I using an old version then? That definitely isn't in my game.

edit - yep I sure was

You also have 18 secondaries in double turrets, which means there are two guns extra or to few. Not sure if you only get 8/8 or if it will give you 9/9... 16 secondaries in doubles, and some torpedo racks on both sides would be my choice. You won't need the torpedo tubes for most battles, but when you do, they will gently caress something up really bad. The guns will gently caress things up just fine, torpedoes is just the extra gently caress you. The faster something sinks, the sooner you can target something else.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Dunno-Lars posted:

You also have 18 secondaries in double turrets, which means there are two guns extra or to few. Not sure if you only get 8/8 or if it will give you 9/9... 16 secondaries in doubles, and some torpedo racks on both sides would be my choice. You won't need the torpedo tubes for most battles, but when you do, they will gently caress something up really bad. The guns will gently caress things up just fine, torpedoes is just the extra gently caress you. The faster something sinks, the sooner you can target something else.

The Manual posted:

Secondary guns: are only recorded as to the total number. Note that they have a quality value, just like main guns. Secondary guns are assumed to be placed half on each side of the ship. Note that the graphic representation of the secondary guns is generalized. You can have an odd number of secondary guns. The graphics logic can't really handle odd numbers of secondaries, but any odd guns left over are assumed to be on the centerline by the gunnery logic.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Well. Free centerline secondaries for everyone, then!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Thank you! I no longer have to sperg about the visual conforming with my numbers, or the other way around! Wouldn't that also make odd numbers better, since you get secondaries that can fire both ways? I can see how 3 12" secondaries in a quadruple turret would be good.

• Locked thread