Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Yes, in vats you fire a burst of a few shots per 'shot' instead of a single bullet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eustachy
May 7, 2013

Mega64 posted:

Tried a punchy woman today and realized how dumb it was that someone who could make heads explode with her fists can't intimidate anyone worth a drat because her CHA is 1. Wish they would've stole New Vegas's thing where you unlocked various dialogue options based on different stats rather than everything being based around CHA. It's not like CHA isn't powerful even without some dialogue options being assigned to STR or Luck or whatever.
With a CHA of 1 you are essentially a loving super mutant or feral dog, the fact that you can hurt people is not enough to make people do what you want, when you have no ability to convince them that you wouldn't even if they did. Trying a persuasion check with no CHA should make them pull out their pipe pistols and start shooting you

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
To be fair this is not like the other fallout games. 1 in a stat is not "exceptionally bad". 1 is default. 1 is OK. It's another thing they changed to make the game approachable to more people.

In my entire gameplay I finally found a check that wasn't a charisma check - in The Ship you can repair poo poo if you have 9 INT.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
If you build a bar inside your settlement, settlers will hang out there after work instead of wherever they normally take off to, so you can use that to keep them inside your fortresses. Just make sure you provide enough chairs.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Internet Kraken posted:

I find it really funny that people keep harping on thiswhen replicating extinct animals is one of the most sensible things they could be doing with synths.

How so, really? It's not like they can self-replicate--they don't age, they don't sleep, they don't eat. It's not like they're really bringing them back or anything.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Yeah I don't really see how making a robot that looks like an extinct species of animal is a sensible thing to do. How would you even begin creating the AI when you don't have a living specimen to study?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

BenRGamer posted:

Also Synth Gorillas are equally pointless/stupid, if they wanted to show the institute as smart, it'd be synth dogs as less suspicious recon units than people.

Hmm, isn't this the first Fallout game with cats? :tinfoil:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

BenRGamer posted:

How so, really? It's not like they can self-replicate--they don't age, they don't sleep, they don't eat. It's not like they're really bringing them back or anything.

Seashell Salesman posted:

Yeah I don't really see how making a robot that looks like an extinct species of animal is a sensible thing to do. How would you even begin creating the AI when you don't have a living specimen to study?

There are a lot of reasons replicating an extinct animal could be useful for the Institute. The main one that occurs to me is restoring ecosystems to their prewar state. In order to do so, a lot of extinct animals would need to be replaced or revived. Synthetic animals is one way to go about doing that. I dunno about the exact biological nature of synths but the game does say they are medically almost indistinguishable from real humans. If they dedicated more resources to the project, they could probably create a synthetic animal that functions almost identically to a real one. This would be a crucial step to creating a balanced prewar ecosystem, as opposed to the irradiated mess that people currently live in.

There's also the potential of creating synths that can serve a variety of purposes for the Institute out in the field. Stuff such as transportation, reconnaissance, construction, etc. Specialized creatures could perform many functions more efficiently than a human, synthetic or otherwise, can. I mean this is something we're doing with robotics in real life. A lot of prototype robots have been based off various animals. Creating synths that go beyond the human form would be very useful to the Institute.

Of course the obvious question is "why gorillas", the answer to which is that its a proof of concept. Up until now, the only synths that have been produced are humans. The bioscience team is testing the idea of creating animal synths, and a gorilla is actually a good choice to replicate as they are one our closest ancestors. The gorilla synth itself probably won't be used for anything but it serves as a point from which they can build off into making more creatures.

Anyways I realize that is a lot of :words: but creating synthetic animals sounds useful to me, so I'm not sure why so many people see it as the Institute's dumbest action. Its certainly more useful than the bioscience divisions previous project of "lol lets keep injecting people with this green goop".

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
I gave up on settlements once I had to start travelling the world to repair corn

Ah but that's the brilliance of it all. Since no one has ever known what a gorilla acts like then they won't know if the institute gets it wrong. It's the whole Matrix "Flavour of chicken" thing

Personally I'm a little disappointed that the synths are Blade Runner human. I would rather they be more on a terminator level.

Like have Glory end a major fight with half her flesh face missing and a robot arm exposed. Make synths be something other than a title.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
I haven't done settlements with the factions other than Minutemen, but does anyone know what the actual cause and effect of the: Radio Freedom quests, quests that get randomly given to you by settlers in settlements (these may be the same ones as the radio ones), kidnap missions you get from Preston, and the "Help defend X" missions that randomly pop up and aren't given by the radio or NPCs? Are the "Help defend X" missions the only ones that can cause your stuff to get broken? Does doing any of them lower the incidence of the others? The whole thing feels so futile, and the more settlements I take over and build up, the more I seem to get piled with this poo poo. Like, the more you invest into the settlement mechanics the worse your game gets.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Zephyrine posted:

Personally I'm a little disappointed that the synths are Blade Runner human. I would rather they be more on a terminator level.

Like have Glory end a major fight with half her flesh face missing and a robot arm exposed. Make synths be something other than a title.

I was so disappointed at how piss easy coursers were after everyone was talking them up as being Terminator deadly. They should've had like 75% uptime on their cloak while teleporting all over the place while firing at you with a gauss rifle.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Baronjutter posted:

They're basically just vat-grown humans that are "programmed" with a set of memories and training and indoctrination and then sent off to be functionally identical to humans because they actually are humans. Super mutants are less human than synths but no one has a problem accepting they're "real" creatures, just mostly dumb incredibly violent people.

Making synths actually biological ruins the entire possibility that people could have different views on them being "alive" or worthy of rights or not. If they were actually fully robotic like Valentine there'd be room for interpretation. They're just humans with incredibly slightly different construction.

Also do Synths like the mayor actually have a perfect copy of the person they replaced memories? Wouldn't that just make them a copy of the person and if not told they were a synth make them basically act the same way and identify as that person? Wouldn't they then just be mostly pissed that the real them was killed for no reason? I'd want to go get revenge for my real-self.

You've already put more thought into it than Bethesda did.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Eustachy posted:

With a CHA of 1 you are essentially a loving super mutant or feral dog, the fact that you can hurt people is not enough to make people do what you want, when you have no ability to convince them that you wouldn't even if they did. Trying a persuasion check with no CHA should make them pull out their pipe pistols and start shooting you

With 4 charisma what I do is this: whenever I see a dialogue option pop up I just walk away from the dialogue and pop a berry mentat and chug a beer and almost always pass the speech check. I only really use it on dialogues I really want to succeed on but its still really effective.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

ToxicAcne posted:

Do you actually get any tangible rewards from the settlements? Because the caps from the stalls are a pittance.

You get to farm purified water, and corn/tatos/mutafruits which you can cook into adhesive.

Vehementi posted:

To be fair this is not like the other fallout games. 1 in a stat is not "exceptionally bad". 1 is default. 1 is OK. It's another thing they changed to make the game approachable to more people.

In my entire gameplay I finally found a check that wasn't a charisma check - in The Ship you can repair poo poo if you have 9 INT.

I miss the mode in Fallout 2 where if you had a super low INT (like <3 I think), there was actually different dialogue for a ton of NPCs who all treated you like a mouthbreathing idiot.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Mantis42 posted:

Hmm, isn't this the first Fallout game with cats? :tinfoil:

This was my first thought when I found a cat sealed inside of a burnt-out diner with no way in or out, and no food inside apart from a single slice of preserved pie in a dispenser. Something's up with those cats.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

blue squares posted:

So I started over again as a sneaky guy in survival difficulty with a mod that lets me give both the enemy and me a 3x damage multiplier to everything. I am already having more fun in the combat than I did in the entire 60+ hours I played already. I can be killed in just a few shots and the enemy can be killed in just a few shots. It's very tense.

That sounds unplayable. Given how enemy accuracy tends to be on-target, how can you survive when there are more two enemies? Especially if they have explosives!

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I thought the gorillas were some bored institute nerd's pet project, i recall them saying this when you enter or ask about it. I really doubt making the two gorillas was a giant institute wide project.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Internet Kraken posted:

There are a lot of reasons replicating an extinct animal could be useful for the Institute. The main one that occurs to me is restoring ecosystems to their prewar state. In order to do so, a lot of extinct animals would need to be replaced or revived. Synthetic animals is one way to go about doing that. I dunno about the exact biological nature of synths but the game does say they are medically almost indistinguishable from real humans. If they dedicated more resources to the project, they could probably create a synthetic animal that functions almost identically to a real one. This would be a crucial step to creating a balanced prewar ecosystem, as opposed to the irradiated mess that people currently live in.

There's also the potential of creating synths that can serve a variety of purposes for the Institute out in the field. Stuff such as transportation, reconnaissance, construction, etc. Specialized creatures could perform many functions more efficiently than a human, synthetic or otherwise, can. I mean this is something we're doing with robotics in real life. A lot of prototype robots have been based off various animals. Creating synths that go beyond the human form would be very useful to the Institute.

Of course the obvious question is "why gorillas", the answer to which is that its a proof of concept. Up until now, the only synths that have been produced are humans. The bioscience team is testing the idea of creating animal synths, and a gorilla is actually a good choice to replicate as they are one our closest ancestors. The gorilla synth itself probably won't be used for anything but it serves as a point from which they can build off into making more creatures.

Anyways I realize that is a lot of :words: but creating synthetic animals sounds useful to me, so I'm not sure why so many people see it as the Institute's dumbest action. Its certainly more useful than the bioscience divisions previous project of "lol lets keep injecting people with this green goop".

Well, for one, to create genuine human-like synths in the first place they needed pre-war human DNA. Good luck finding that for anything else out in the wild, so these are either nowhere near similar to actual gorillas physically, or it's a plot hole. Wouldn't put it past them.

Again, Synths don't age, Synths don't eat, Synths don't sleep. They wouldn't really interact with the ecosystem in those ways.

Finally, it's never mentioned in the game that it's a proof-of-concept, just that it's a pet project of the division head. Who according to terminals also wants to build a huge-rear end water tank to make Synth fish for some reason?

I'm talking more outside of the story than inside of it. If they wanted the institute to appear smart, at least more than superficially so, they screwed the execution up. Synth cats and dogs that nobody in the commonwealth suspects would've gotten a much more :aaa: reaction. Synth gorillas is more :confused:.

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Full Dialogue Interface has been updated to Beta7. It now comes in an all-in-one installer and supports eight different languages. In addition, every single line that could be extended from a paraphrase has been extended, to the best of my knowledge. All non-English versions are now fully updated and the Lite version has also been brought up to par. A variety of other small bugs have also been addressed.

With this infrastructure in place, I can pretty much guarantee compatibility for all future patches and DLCs within days of release, barring me being hit by a bus or something. Or getting a life, one of the two.

Cirosan fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Nov 30, 2015

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

Cirosan posted:

Full Dialogue Interface has been updated to Beta7. It now comes in an all-in-one installer and supports eight different languages. In addition, every single line that could be extended from a paraphrase has been extended, to the best of my knowledge. All non-English versions are now fully updated and the Lite version has also been brought up to par. A variety of other small bugs have also been addressed.

With this infrastructure in place, I can pretty much guarantee compatibility for all future patches and DLCs within days of release, barring me being hit by a bus or something.

This rules, and you rule.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

BenRGamer posted:

I'm talking more outside of the story than inside of it. If they wanted the institute to appear smart, at least more than superficially so, they screwed the execution up. Synth cats and dogs that nobody in the commonwealth suspects would've gotten a much more :aaa: reaction. Synth gorillas is more :confused:.

That would imply nobody has ever killed a synth dog or cat to find the the synth component inside it, which doesn't seem likely given how easy it is for animals to die. People in Boston are so paranoid that as soon as they found out they were making synth versions of pets they would probably round up and kill all of them anyways. It wouldn't really work.

I'm still not sure if the brahmin with synth components inside them are supposed to be infiltrator cows or just a joke about them eating anything.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

That would imply nobody has ever killed a synth dog or cat to find the the synth component inside it, which doesn't seem likely given how easy it is for animals to die. People in Boston are so paranoid that as soon as they found out they were making synth versions of pets they would probably round up and kill all of them anyways. It wouldn't really work.

I'm still not sure if the brahmin with synth components inside them are supposed to be infiltrator cows or just a joke about them eating anything.

I'm betting it was an unintentional consequence of how they likely set up the game to determine which of your settlers was a synth, it caught animals because they forgot to make an exception for them and they decided it was too funny not to keep.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Honestly, you can say the same about Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, where the idea PROBABLY came from. They built tons of extinct animals with the intent of... something, but not alot of data to go on due to how fast everything started dying.
The tech and reasoning didn't make sense there, and whoever was in charge of writing the institute probably thought just doing that would be fine, too.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ToxicAcne posted:

Do you actually get any tangible rewards from the settlements? Because the caps from the stalls are a pittance.

if you build really basic farms you can mass produce vegetable starch and modify everything forever, because they count as 5 adhesive.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I think the minutemen quests in my game have gotten stuck in a loop. It's ALWAYS Sanctuary ghoul problems and then poor Blake Abernathy has had everyone he has ever known kidnapped dozens of times each (I think he's gotten paranoid).

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Gonkish posted:

It's ALWAYS Sanctuary ghoul problems and then poor Blake Abernathy has had everyone he has ever known kidnapped dozens of times each (I think he's gotten paranoid).

Nah, see, that's the swindle he's got going on. He sells a member to a bunch of passing raiders for caps, then goes :qq: HALP SOLE SURVIVOR I LOST SOMEONE AGAIN :qq:, points him in the direction of those raiders, and repeats the process.

EDIT: This reminds me of a time where I went to the place that the Abernathy farm directs you to (can't remember the game) on another quest. I had been there before (on the Abernathy Rescue Quest), the raiders had reset to their original low level. Much to my surprise, there was one of the Abernathys, tied up and asking to be rescued.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Nov 30, 2015

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Finished the Institute ending. No one gives a poo poo about it except Piper and Nick, and they're just kind of irritated. Also there's no option to be like "we're going to stop kidnapping people, don't worry. That was really dumb and whoever wrote that decided that should be ashamed."

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I hate how "AI has free will and should be treated like a person" stories are always the same thing in popular culture. The synths are automatically sentient beings for :reasons: and anyone who isn't automatically on board with this is a xenophobic slave driving monster.

Someone should invent an iOS app that makes your phone randomly refuse to perform basic functions or follow commands, and instead does it's own random tasks, based on some heuristic feedback for which tasks work better. Then we can have a real life railroad that goes around stealing phones and installing said app on them.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

counterfeitsaint posted:

I hate how "AI has free will and should be treated like a person" stories are always the same thing in popular culture. The synths are automatically sentient beings for :reasons: and anyone who isn't automatically on board with this is a xenophobic slave driving monster.

Well, if they have free will, they kinda are automatically sentient beings.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

counterfeitsaint posted:

Someone should invent an iOS app that makes your phone randomly refuse to perform basic functions or follow commands, and instead does it's own random tasks, based on some heuristic feedback for which tasks work better. Then we can have a real life railroad that goes around stealing phones and installing said app on them.

Bethesda are really hamfisted at any kind of subtlety when it comes to writing. I dunno what you were expecting.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Can you romance multiple companions, or is it one romance, many friends?

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

counterfeitsaint posted:

The synths minds' are copies of living people (see Nick), so in that sense they have truly human minds and thus are sentient.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Azhais posted:

Can you romance multiple companions, or is it one romance, many friends?

You can romance them all with no consequence if you cuck your previous lover

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Kurzon posted:

The synths minds' are copies of living people (see Nick), so in that sense they have truly human minds and thus are sentient.

Are they? On multiple occasions it's pointed out that Synths act noticeably different (actually better) than the people they're trying to replace.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

frajaq posted:

You can romance them all with no consequence if you cuck your previous lover

Haha, cuck. Love this original content from lovers of Bethesda videogames.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

I'm a bit surprised over how hard they're pushing this parent thing. You can't just tell a player "this is your husband, this is your baby. Start caring about them" it takes a lot of developer work and a long in game time to get a player to care about an NPC. Never mind that the baby is an item rather than an NPC. Even less than an item. Most items have uses or the option to interact with them. The baby has no uses and interacting with it is mandatory to advance the game. I would have felt more for the baby if it had just been a mininuke wrapped in a blanket. At least that has uses.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Zephyrine posted:

I'm a bit surprised over how hard they're pushing this parent thing. You can't just tell a player "this is your husband, this is your baby. Start caring about them" it takes a lot of developer work and a long in game time to get a player to care about an NPC. Never mind that the baby is an item rather than an NPC. Even less than an item. Most items have uses or the option to interact with them. The baby has no uses and interacting with it is mandatory to advance the game. I would have felt more for the baby if it had just been a mininuke wrapped in a blanket. At least that has uses.

I'm not really surprised Bethesda tried to make me care about a forced NPC family member because they did the exact same thing in the last game.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

MisterBibs posted:

Well, if they have free will, they kinda are automatically sentient beings.

That's the point, how do you know they have free will? I'm not saying you should automatically assume they don't, but no one ever seems to ask that question. Except the mustache twirling bad guys of course, and they don't count.

Edit: Unrelated, Preston is wearing power armor, and he will not speak to me except to ask if we can raid the castle. Is there any way to compel him to get out of it?

counterfeitsaint fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Nov 30, 2015

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Zephyrine posted:

I'm a bit surprised over how hard they're pushing this parent thing. You can't just tell a player "this is your husband, this is your baby. Start caring about them"

Why not? Family (specifically the loss of it) is one of the things your audience can immediately empathize with. It's why 1 and 2 have your ongoing motivation as "You need to get ~this~ thing to save your friends and family" and 3 had "Find your father".

Zephyrine posted:

Never mind that the baby is an item rather than an NPC. Even less than an item. Most items have uses or the option to interact with them. The baby has no uses and interacting with it is mandatory to advance the game. I would have felt more for the baby if it had just been a mininuke wrapped in a blanket. At least that has uses.

:goonsay:

A baby is a baby. Normal humans generally get attached to babies pretty darn quick.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I'm not really surprised Bethesda tried to make me care about a forced NPC family member because they did the exact same thing in the last game.

You wouldn't have the character of Benny in New Vegas if it wasn't for 3's story, according to the dude who begged to voice a character.

counterfeitsaint posted:

That's the point, how do you know they have free will? I'm not saying you should automatically assume they don't, but no one ever seems to ask that question. Except the mustache twirling bad guys of course, and they don't count.

If throughout media (going well beyond games) a question only mustache-twirling bad guys ask is one you yourself ask, that probably should clue you in as to what it says about that question and who asks it. Especially since, ya know, real life mustache-twirling bad guys asked that about not-artificial intelligent folks a lot.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Nov 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I already loved Liam Neilsen so that worked.

If Shaun had been voiced by... Joe Pesci then I would have been totally into it.

Edit: my current run has been tricky. I died probably 20 times as a legendary super mutant chassed me Benny Hill style around a buss booth. A single hit from his SMG was lethal so I would have to wait for him to reload and then run up and shoot him in the face with my double barrel. He came with a patrol of three super mutants but one of them was a suicider and a lucky hit from my pistol detonated his nuke which killed the three and took 50% of the legendarys health.

I'm also having problems with raiders who one shot me from 50 meters with heat seeking molotovs.

• Locked thread