Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Devian666 posted:

Looks like some serious just world fallacy going on here. In addition being brought up poor does actually change the way people think. The effect on their decisions is all short term thinking, rather than having a long tern view. It doesn't lead to the best financial decisions.

When society, family and teachers say you need a degree to get anywhere in life and it leads to someone studying fine arts with no connections or potential network of buyers to make money then the person has been failed by others. In fact you can question the morals of the person or department that made the decision to approve his student loans.

Student loans are still bad with money, and bad for economic growth in New Zealand even though the interest rate is 0%.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/wairarapa-times-age/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503414&objectid=11552435

Why are people even getting degrees when they end up in low paying low skill jobs?
I think people are pointing out that the whole avoidance/burying his head in the sand thing is the character flaw. Not the lack of financial literacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Dik Hz posted:

I think people are pointing out that the whole avoidance/burying his head in the sand thing is the character flaw. Not the lack of financial literacy.

That is a character flaw in a large proportion of the population. I don't think it's the moral issue it's being made out to be. A fine arts degree doesn't really teach you how to deal with overwhelming levels of debt.

We wouldn't have a thread if people didn't stick their head in the sand about their finances.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

Devian666 posted:

Why are people even getting degrees when they end up in low paying low skill jobs?
There's more to life than money.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

berzerker posted:

I don't think we need to do this debate for the hundredth time. It's simple: more to life than money, but at some point the amount of money you are making is so little that it makes it not worth the value you enjoy from it.

It's like a Laffer (sp?) curve I guess.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

As the wise man Kanye West once said, "Money isn't everything, but not having it is."

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Devian666 posted:

Obviously people who go to college do not imagine themselves working at unskilled low paying jobs when they graduate.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Guinness posted:

As the wise man Kanye West once said, "Money isn't everything, but not having it is."

Money isn't everything, but having more if it than most people can absolve you of most material and practical problems in a way that is unprecedented in all of human history

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

berzerker posted:

In the facebook discussion associated with the article I linked one guy said that getting a degree was the worst decision of his life. It seems there's more to life than getting degrees as well.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Obviously people who go to college do not imagine themselves working at unskilled low paying jobs when they graduate.

Their parents and teachers say they need a degree to get decent pay, so it's a reasonable conclusion to make.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Friend told me today about his brother in law, who went from the US to England for a master's degree in Viking and Medieval Studies. No PhD, and no plans for one, but a gazillion dollars in student debt for it.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

canyoneer posted:

Friend told me today about his brother in law, who went from the US to England for a master's degree in Viking and Medieval Studies. No PhD, and no plans for one, but a gazillion dollars in student debt for it.

If he's smart he'll go into business making really accurate weapons/garments/games whatever and get lots of BWM nerds to drop a ton of cash on him

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

pig slut lisa posted:

Update on Mary's GoFundMe:

:siren: Mary update :siren:

After a dozen or so posts, Mary stopped blogging and has in fact wiped her blog entirely. Her GoFundMe also got pulled after never netting more than $50.

I only thought to check on her progress because Facebook served up a post by her announcing that she has signed up for Digit, which appears to be an algorithm that pulls small amounts of cash from your checking account every so often to force you to save. Oh, and you can withdraw from it at anytime. I would be very curious to know how many people use this without raiding the account every few months.

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

I should have known better.

pig slut lisa posted:

:siren: Mary update :siren:

After a dozen or so posts, Mary stopped blogging and has in fact wiped her blog entirely. Her GoFundMe also got pulled after never netting more than $50.

I only thought to check on her progress because Facebook served up a post by her announcing that she has signed up for Digit, which appears to be an algorithm that pulls small amounts of cash from your checking account every so often to force you to save. Oh, and you can withdraw from it at anytime. I would be very curious to know how many people use this without raiding the account every few months.

I just saw an ad for Digit. It has a "no overdraft guarantee" - which I interpreted as them calculating their withdrawals so that you won't overdraft your account because they've been moving bits to savings. But no, it is a guarantee that THEY will not overdraft your account. If you're so close to overdrafting that you're worried that $5-50 bucks a month will push you over the edge...

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
At least they'll pay for the fee if they overdraft you.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Devian666 posted:

Looks like some serious just world fallacy going on here
It is not a fallacy when the world *is* just in disciplining him. Ignorance is *not* a legitimate defence when we are talking about the spawn of Satan here, the actual holy grail of a degree in fine arts. Lol.

In any case, I already addressed financial ignorance previously, as paraphrased by Dik Hz,

Dik Hz posted:

Devian666 posted:

“When society, family and teachers say you need a degree [that is not fine arts]”
Correction made on your behalf to reflect the spawn of Satan status that fine arts degrees enjoy in society.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
But you can't put a price on dreams! Someone will buy my paintings for five figures. I just know it.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
What if you do get a fine arts degree but have your degree paid for in full by financial aid because of your family's low income bracket? GWM or BWM?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

DrSunshine posted:

What if you do get a fine arts degree but have your degree paid for in full by financial aid because of your family's low income bracket? GWM or BWM?

BWM because they should have forged transcripts and invested the money in an index fund. They'd still be unemployable, but they'd have earned 10% on average.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Nice article in the New York Times about a woman with $450,000 in student loans. Her "unremarkable" decisions include starting and stopping two graduate programs, finishing another, and then never making a payment in 20 years.

I almost feel like she's GWM in that her life has been financed by the federal government for decades. She just needs to keep it going a bit longer.

This makes me wonder: is there anything preventing someone from just enrolling in degree after degree and never paying anything back, amassing a million in loans?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

^^^^^^ yes, there is a lifetime cap on most federal loan programs, and grad plus loans do a credit check. You can get more depending on what kind of school you're in (medical, law school) but eventually the well dries up.

DrSunshine posted:

Gwm if grants/scholarships. Bwm if loans.

Several friends of mine from law school had a bfa (painting, ceramics, dance). Gave them something cool to talk about with recruiters, all are successful lawyers now. Obviously anecdotal, but hey, works for some.

Hot Dog Day #91 fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 30, 2015

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

John Smith posted:

It is not a fallacy when the world *is* just in disciplining him. Ignorance is *not* a legitimate defence when we are talking about the spawn of Satan here, the actual holy grail of a degree in fine arts. Lol.

Okay okay, calm down Ayn Rand, this much excitement isn't good for you. Have a cigarette and just enjoy the stories hey?

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
My girlfriend does digit and it worked exactly like that-- signed up, forgot, received email a while back, and saw she had $1k in the account. Promptly used it for vacation, but she has the financial freedom to do that so it's not BWM or anything.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

^^^^^^ yes, there is a lifetime cap on most federal loan programs, and grad plus loans do a credit check. You can get more depending on what kind of school you're in (medical, law school) but eventually the well dries up..

The article points out that the woman got fresh loans to pursue a PhD in Education when she already had $250k in loans that she had never made a payment for in the previous decade. So it appears that the "credit check" can't be too rigorous. If she hadn't left the PhD right away, it sounds like she might still be taking on new loans.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Insurance fraud is bad with money.
https://np.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/3tzh8n/fl_wifes_niece_staged_an_accident_blamed_other/

quote:

[FL] Wife's niece staged an accident, blamed other (innocent) driver, lied in court under oath, pretended to be hurt, made fake insurance claims and filed a fake lawsuit (self.legaladvice)
submitted 7 days ago by stagedaccidentq
This is not something I did, it was my wife's niece (her sister's daughter) did. I don't know much about the law myself and have a question about what kind of consequences she is facing for what she did, because my wife is really upset right now and I don't know what to tell her. Basically what happened is that my wife's niece was in a car accident. The other driver was found at fault and was charged criminally for the accident. My wife's niece testified in court under oath about what happened. Insurance paid her claims for hospital bills and physiotherapy. She filed a lawsuit against the other driver. She also filed a report against the other driver at her work because the other driver was an off duty reserve police officer. After she testified the other driver’s dashcam came out and it proved that my wife’s niece actually caused the accident. It was all staged. There was also video from a private investigator showing my wife’s niece at the gym, going out in heels and at the beach proving she wasn’t actually hurt.
So she has been caught staging the accident, lying on the police report and in court under oath, making over $100,000 in false insurance claims, pretending to be hurt when she is not, filing a false lawsuit against the other driver and also filing a false complaint against the other driver at work because the other driver is a reserve police officer. My wife thinks nothing should happen to her niece because the dashcam video was not disclosed until after she testified under oath, so the court entrapped her into committing a crime she would have not committed otherwise. My wife also thinks the other driver probably got special treatment because she is a reserve police officer and that the prosecutor was against her niece from the start. Personally I think she deserves everything she gets for being so stupid. My wife is really upset and I just want to be able to tell her what to expect will happen to her niece. This happened 2 days after her niece turned 18 and this is the first time her niece has ever been in an accident or been in any trouble with the law. Apparently she caused the accident because she wanted money for a spring break trip which her parents were not going to pay for because they wanted her to save herself. I just want to know what, if any, charges or other consequences is she facing now that he lies have come out?

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

quote:

My wife thinks nothing should happen to her niece because the dashcam video was not disclosed until after she testified under oath, so the court entrapped her into committing a crime she would have not committed otherwise

"Yeah, but she wouldn't have broken the law if she knew she'd be caught!"

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

:stare:

quote:

Apparently she caused the accident because she wanted money for a spring break trip which her parents were not going to pay for because they wanted her to save herself.

:stare: :stare: :stare:

Now that is some loving thread content. That wasn't just a single "oopsie" that got a little out of hand, that was some severely malicious intent to defraud and deceive.

And of course it was in Florida.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Providing this isn't STDH, the dashcam video could be an issue. This isn't Perry Mason - I don't think you can dramatically reveal evidence without having disclosed the existence of that evidence with the other side's attorney.

Granted, it could be they did include that evidence and her attorney sucks and didn't look at it or didn't have the expertise to identify the telltale signs of insurance fraud.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I don't think the defense has a duty to disclose ahead of time in a civil case, do they?

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
I'm actually concerned for the reddit guy actually. His wife seems to be able to pull some extravagant mental gymnastics about responsibility.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Krispy Kareem posted:

Providing this isn't STDH, the dashcam video could be an issue. This isn't Perry Mason - I don't think you can dramatically reveal evidence without having disclosed the existence of that evidence with the other side's attorney.

Granted, it could be they did include that evidence and her attorney sucks and didn't look at it or didn't have the expertise to identify the telltale signs of insurance fraud.

She was a witness in the guy she set up's trial. The defense doesn't have to disclose any evidence to her.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

the talent deficit posted:

She was a witness in the guy she set up's trial. The defense doesn't have to disclose any evidence to her.

quote:

She filed a lawsuit against the other driver.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

She'd already perjured herself at that point.

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

Krispy Kareem posted:

If you bring a lawsuit against someone and lie under oath, I'm not sure the other said has any obligation to stop you from doing that. How would the defense even know the prosecution's main witness was going to perjure themselves on the stand ahead of time?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

I don't think the defense has a duty to disclose ahead of time in a civil case, do they?

If discovery was requested, they certainly do. It's pretty much malpractice to take a case to trial without having done Amy discovery. Most courts I've practiced in required disclosure of all trial exhibits a free weeks ahead of time. It would also be malpractice to not review those exhibits.

Both sides should be well apprised of the theories and evidence of their opponents.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Guinness posted:

And of course it was in Florida.
"Of course it's Florida! How could it not be Florida?!"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

If discovery was requested, they certainly do.

Not if the evidence is used to impeach testimony.

(Per the insurance attorney in the Reddit thread and the two non-insurance attorneys I asked this morning, at least. None practice in Florida, though.)

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Thesaurus posted:

Nice article in the New York Times about a woman with $450,000 in student loans. Her "unremarkable" decisions include starting and stopping two graduate programs, finishing another, and then never making a payment in 20 years.

I almost feel like she's GWM in that her life has been financed by the federal government for decades. She just needs to keep it going a bit longer.

This makes me wonder: is there anything preventing someone from just enrolling in degree after degree and never paying anything back, amassing a million in loans?
I don't get it, how has she not had her paychecks garnished?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Cicero posted:

If they're private loans, they'd have to sue her and get a judgment against her first, but it begs the question why they haven't.

Subjunctive posted:

Not if the evidence is used to impeach testimony.

(Per the insurance attorney in the Reddit thread and the two non-insurance attorneys I asked this morning, at least. None practice in Florida, though.)

In what scenarios would this happen? Does that mean that one side would intentionally withhold evidence to disprove someone's testimony?

1. That's allowed?
2. Wouldn't it be harder to get that evidence admitted later? Why do it that way?

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 1, 2015

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Cicero posted:

Probably by never having a paycheck.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

NancyPants posted:

Why do it that way?

To nail the rear end in a top hat that broke the law and tried to sue me under false pretenses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Inverse Icarus posted:

To nail the rear end in a top hat that broke the law and tried to sue me under false pretenses.

A good strategy is let the criminal accumulate as many crimes as possible so as to remove any doubt when she is prosecuted. Trying to use the non-disclosed dashcam as a defense for perjury isn't going to work out, unless she wants to really piss off the next judge she deals with.

From one of the comments.

quote:

Insurance attorney here - but in different area (work comp). I am not your lawyer, this is not legal advice, blah blah blah legal disclaimers.
This way to produce video evidence is exactly what I do in my fraud work comp cases. I let the person lie a bunch of times then destroy them with the video as impeachment evidence. It doesn't have to be shown ahead of time in my cases, because it is used to show the person is lying.
Your wife's niece is super-hosed (yes, technical term of art). She needs a lawyer ASAP... but to be honest they aren't really going to help her much other than try to limit how much she is punished. The damage is already done. She lied and got caught.
The insurance company and district attorney are going to foam at the mouth on this case (I would!). Rarely do we get such damning evidence, so they usually make an example out of the person. Insurance fraud means potential jail time, significant monetary fines, payback of all the benefits she has received, and potential civil lawsuit. Not to mention this will be on her insurance records. So if she ever tries to file any other lawsuit/insurance claim, any good insurance company will be able to get the old records of this fraud.
They are going to throw the book at her, and to be honest this is probably going to ruin her credit, insurance, and possibly criminal record for decades to come. I'm not sure if they should really fork out the big $$$$ for an expensive attorney. The damage is done. Your wife's niece needs an attorney that can play damage control and beg for lighter punishment. Find a attorney that has a good relationship with the judges, opposing counsels, and district attorney's office (that may require two attorneys, as you may need criminal and civil).
Does the family know a friend that is a lawyer? You might want to have them, or even a $100 1 hour consultation explain this to the family. I do not suggest you or your wife try to tell the family what you've read here. Why you ask? Because people get protective, angry, and emotional when this stuff happens. I've seen families ripped apart because one side was trying to defend the fraudster while the other explained reality. Don't get into it. Let a professional explain it to them to diffuse the situation.
Good luck.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 1, 2015

• Locked thread