Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

sticklefifer posted:

"Yippee-ki-yay, Mr. Falcon" is top tier, especially since there was nobody called Mr. Falcon.

I'm also partial to "forget you".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4t6zNZ-b0A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
When I was a teenager, my copy of Die Hard was recorded off ITV and the dubbing was atrocious. The guy doing it sounded like Yogi Bear and it contained the amazingly inconsistent line "No no no, you stupid motherflipper! Turn the loving truck around!":v:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

sticklefifer posted:

"Yippee-ki-yay, Mr. Falcon" is top tier, especially since there was nobody called Mr. Falcon.

I'm also partial to "forget you".

They actually insert totally new dialogue where a character refers to him as Mr. Falcon in an earlier scene.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The worst Die Hard censorship is how they made the fourth one just PG-13 so he doesn't even say it in the theatrical version. It's just "yippie ki yay mother *gunshot*"

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Esroc posted:

TV shows with theme music an order of magnitude louder than the general dialogue volume. I'll be trying to watch an episode in the middle of the night while everyone is asleep and the opening is a reasonable volume, then the theme starts and suddenly I'm front stage at a live concert and smacking the volume down button like it dispenses money, only for it to drop the volume back down afterwards forcing me to turn the volume up again.

It's so common that I keep my hand on the remote out of sheer habit for the first ten minutes of any show.

Check your sound settings and see if there is an "apartment setting". My tv has one and it makes all the volume levels equal so no sudden spikes in volume.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Check your sound settings and see if there is an "apartment setting". My tv has one and it makes all the volume levels equal so no sudden spikes in volume.

Oh is there a setting that does that now? That's great, I might have to check that out, thanks.

Still these assholes should balance the volume levels of their poo poo before they shove it out the door. :mad:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The name of the setting will differ by manufacturer but just about every TV has it now.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

glitchkrieg posted:

I wish I could get ahold of the ITV shown-in-the-afternoon edit of Robocop.

It's probably about 14 minutes long.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Arrath posted:

Oh is there a setting that does that now? That's great, I might have to check that out, thanks.

Still these assholes should balance the volume levels of their poo poo before they shove it out the door. :mad:

The Blu-Ray of Dredd has an apartment setting. Awfully considerate of them.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

When someone gets shot in the chest and then looks down and unbuttons their shirt to show a bulletproof vest.

Even more so if the audience knows they are wearing one.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
When a villain "dies" 45 minutes into the movie, but they never show the body. Immediately afterwards every character has to comment, "He's dead. Finally!" and if anyone doubts the death is permanent, 3 or 4 other characters will make sure to comment, "Don't worry, he's dead and NEVER COMING BACK."

Is anyone in the audience fooled by this? Are these scenes there just to show us that our plucky hero is the only one who can see the truth? Why?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

When the shapeshifter looks at the camera and turns back to his/her real form for no reason when the other characters leave the scene.

It's like, Get it, you guys? I'm a shapeshifter!

donquixotic
May 1, 2007
When I see someone get shot that I feel could survive even though we're led to believe they're dead I always assume they are alive unless they get shot in the head. Body shots alive head shots dead

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Not to mention the backwards logic of movie injuries.

Real Life: Someone hit hard enough in the head to be knocked out for hours is probably dead or suffering from severe brain damage.

Movie: Single punches can knock people out for hours and everyone wakes up later from a light nap.

Real Life: Being shot in the chest multiple times and left on the ground will result in the person bleeding out or dying from shock 90% of the time.

Movie: If you are shot anywhere but the head, you can just walk it off by yourself.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ignite Memories posted:

When the shapeshifter looks at the camera and turns back to his/her real form for no reason when the other characters leave the scene.

It's like, Get it, you guys? I'm a shapeshifter!

They do this a few times in the X-Men movies. Mystique changes back to her very noticeable blue form as soon as she passes the security guard or whoever it is she needs to get by.

I remember in one of the movies she breaks into some place by posing as someone else, then there's supposed to be a tense "Will she get caught?!" moment because instead of staying as whoever she's posing as she has changed back for no reason.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

oldpainless posted:

When someone gets shot in the chest and then looks down and unbuttons their shirt to show a bulletproof vest.

http://www.theonion.com/article/nation-demands-more-movies-where-guy-reveals-he-wa-51886

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

After the fight was over it's the first thing I'd do. Be pretty loving curious what was going on down there.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Real Life: Being shot in the chest multiple times and left on the ground will result in the person bleeding out or dying from shock 90% of the time.

Movie: If you are shot anywhere but the head, you can just walk it off by yourself.
Or, if there a bunch of bad guys attacking the hero, each of them will die instantly if hit by a single bullet anywhere on their body.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

donquixotic posted:

When I see someone get shot that I feel could survive even though we're led to believe they're dead I always assume they are alive unless they get shot in the head. Body shots alive head shots dead

I like how in John Wick he always puts one in his target's head, just to be sure.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Tiggum posted:

Or, if there a bunch of bad guys attacking the hero, each of them will die instantly if hit by a single bullet anywhere on their body.

I like to imagine that a bunch of them just got grazed and are playing dead (because wouldn't you?). After the hero leaves they crawl out of the room and call an ambulance for everyone else.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The villain wasn't dead stuff is just one of those annoying clichés we'll never get rid of albeit a much more annoying one as it has no catharsis. Knowing the leads will have a romantic sub-plot or w/e has emotional catharsis if done well or even decently. Villains 'dying' is never convincing and as such never has any weight.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I also wonder where movie characters buy those L-Shaped sheets that people lay in immediately after having sex. Somehow James Bond's side of the sheet goes all the way down to 1cm above his pubes, but the exotic she-devil to his left has the exact same sheet up to her collarbone.

Uhhh...it's a sheet. Made of thin fabric. It's very easy to get it to do that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Parasol Prophet posted:

I like to imagine that a bunch of them just got grazed and are playing dead (because wouldn't you?). After the hero leaves they crawl out of the room and call an ambulance for everyone else.

This is basically what happened in Arrow season one.

When he'd shoot minions with an arrow they'd go down and stay down like they were dead, but then there's a scene in a later episode where they give his body count as much lower and mention a whole lot of guys put in the hospital.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I like how in John Wick he always puts one in his target's head, just to be sure.

Here's link to a handy info graphic detailing shots fired, shots hit, and headshots. Spoiler alert: don't gently caress with Wick's dog.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/infographic-details-the-deadly-kill-count-in-john-wick-20150320

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010

BrigadierSensible posted:

Another reason is I heard that planes really don't want you thinking about flying/possibly crashing whilst you are up in the air. So they usually won't show any films to do with explosions/hijackings/air-rage etc.

I was on a flight once where they played the movie Knowing with Nic Cage. It has a scene in it where a plane crashes into a highway in a very graphic way. This was played on all the monitors of the flight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPdwCnwuZ8w

Hilarious.

PuntCuncher
Apr 21, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Just re watched Prometheus. Nothing between the opening and closing credits makes any sense whatsoever.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

PuntCuncher posted:

Just re watched Prometheus. Nothing between the opening and closing credits makes any sense whatsoever.

It's pretty simple. Stupid petty people land on planet for stupid petty reasons. Meet God, God hates them and fucks them up.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

My IMM is how The Onion doesnt think mobile phones exist so I get a teeny tiny strip of the middle of sentances in between the constantly scrolling menu and other article columns.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
I just got done watching Mockingjay Part 2.

IIMM: When and why did President Snow booby trap THE ENTIRE CITY? Like was that poo poo always there, kinda seems a little unsafe, and if it wasn't then that seemed like an awful lot of masterplanning to get done in the middle of a war? And where did the completely unexplained "mutts" come from, they were clearly just eyeless vampires from I Am Legend.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

FreudianSlippers posted:

It's pretty simple. Stupid petty people land on planet for stupid petty reasons. Meet God, God hates them and fucks them up.

Checks out

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Pidmon posted:

My IMM is how The Onion doesnt think mobile phones exist so I get a teeny tiny strip of the middle of sentances in between the constantly scrolling menu and other article columns.

I like how the videos randomly autoplay on non-mobile.

PuntCuncher
Apr 21, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Roll credits.

I think my wife is the angriest she's ever been at me after selecting it for movie night.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

glitchkrieg posted:

I wish I could get ahold of the ITV shown-in-the-afternoon edit of Robocop.

Not the whole thing but have a few videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pjThvRQ0gs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyoDt6t33dw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWRzVyEv_lw

(the above are really poor quality)

BiggerBoat posted:

It's probably about 14 minutes long.

Close. I saw the edit on a plane once, run time was just over an hour.

E: Crumbag

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

ultrabindu posted:

Not the whole thing but have a few videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pjThvRQ0gs
:psylon: "Come quietly or there will be… trouble."
:human being: "Yeah…" (pumps shotgun) "FOR YOU!"
I never knew that there was a swear word until I saw the unedited version in my early 20's. Then it became a little in-joke between me & my friends.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Not sure how irrational this is but I recently watched 3:10 To Yuma (the Christian Bale & Russel Crowe one) and it irritated me how, when holding Crowe prisoner, they never tied or cuffed his hands behind his back. I don't know if it's meant to illustrate that people were dumber in cowboy times but he manages to murder two of his captors and nobody thinks "Gee, maybe we should stop him from being able to do that".

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

dpack_1 posted:

IIMM: When and why did President Snow booby trap THE ENTIRE CITY? Like was that poo poo always there, kinda seems a little unsafe, and if it wasn't then that seemed like an awful lot of masterplanning to get done in the middle of a war? And where did the completely unexplained "mutts" come from, they were clearly just eyeless vampires from I Am Legend.

Part 2 (potential) spoilers:

Wasn't there a scene where Snow talks about bringing in the "Gamemakers"? I think they probably had technology like what we saw in the first films where they could "deploy" things (e.g. the traps and mutts) pretty much at will.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

dpack_1 posted:

Mutts were in the first movie too, they were the awful CG dog people things that attacked them on top of the giant metal thumb. They kinda mention that they can do all kinds of freaky forced mutations, between those and the tracker jackers.

In the book the mutts in the first one are actually the reanimated, monsterized corpses of the tributes that had died already, pretty sure.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

Ryoshi posted:

In the book the mutts in the first one are actually the reanimated, monsterized corpses of the tributes that had died already, pretty sure.

That's the moment I decided that the Hunger Games series was not for me.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I lost interest in the film when I heard Jennifer Lawrence say "drat you gale" in the most :effort: voice ever. I also just couldn't get my head around how loving stupid the concept was. Battle Royale was less stupid than it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I really love Battle Royale so I've just never been able to get over how extremely similar but dumber every aspect of Hunger Games is.

Not that Battle Royale is like the smartest poo poo ever written or anything, but it has really good characters and great pacing and tension.