Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Capn Beeb posted:

Haha poo poo, I can't do any work with the Feds out in Arexe because I'm not even Allied with them yet. Guess I just need to be careful when I go bounty busting.

Also do rings get random haz RES added to them?

That's the problem I'm running into as well. I'm friendly with them, but still no ranks. Run what missions I can for the subfactions in system but it doesn't seem to boost my faction rank enough. I'm allied to both the Fed players in Arexe now.

Edit: Right after I posted this, I got my promotion mission. Aaaaand it's an assassination. :negative:

Thronde fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Nov 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Thronde posted:

That's the problem I'm running into as well. I'm friendly with them, but still no ranks. Run what missions I can for the subfactions in system but it doesn't seem to boost my faction rank enough. I'm allied to both the Fed players in Arexe now.
You need to do quite a lot of missions for each rank-up. I think I ended up doing about 80 odd 'kill pirate' missions to go from petty officer to chief petty officer. One nice thing about 1.5 is that they're adding a progress bar for both faction rep and rank.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
I got to Xihe and where the hell are the gimballed C3 pulse lasers good lord

Thronde posted:

Edit: Right after I posted this, I got my promotion mission. Aaaaand it's an assassination. :negative:

Are those still guaranteed Anaconda fights? I did one once, jumped in, and immediately got plasmaed through the windshield :gibs:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

So yeah this Vulture is pretty awesome, its big lasers chew things up. Thanks for the tips guys.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Capn Beeb posted:

Zhen Dock should have basically everything that isn't Anaconda-sized. Sort by name and double-check?

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Capn Beeb posted:

Are those still guaranteed Anaconda fights? I did one once, jumped in, and immediately got plasmaed through the windshield :gibs:

The best thing to do when lazy/in a poo poo fighting ship, is to just refresh the bulletin board until you get a rank-progression mission that involves transporting two tons of space poo poo. It's a lot easier than taking on an anaconda.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Capn Beeb posted:

That's near Jotunheim, right?

If so, Beta-1 Tucane was usually my goto fitting stop.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010
This game is frigging fantastic - another $15-on-steam-sale buyer here. It's everything I wanted from EVE, but fun!

I'm rocking around in a Viper now and got up to an Asp, but sold it because gently caress that thing handles like a brick.

Rah! posted:

The best thing to do when lazy/in a poo poo fighting ship, is to just refresh the bulletin board until you get a rank-progression mission that involves transporting two tons of space poo poo. It's a lot easier than taking on an anaconda.

What's the trick to refreshing the bulletin board? I want some more of those easy "donate 2k for ++++rep w/ faction" missions.

Urit fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Nov 30, 2015

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
I'm coming back to this after not playing since shortly after powerplay launched.

Mostly I flew around hires belts in a Cobra taking on big ships thanks to two banks of shield boosters and a class A powerplant. I heard they nerfed shield bosters. Should I throw out the boosters for something else or did little actually change?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Cirofren posted:

I'm coming back to this after not playing since shortly after powerplay launched.

Mostly I flew around hires belts in a Cobra taking on big ships thanks to two banks of shield boosters and a class A powerplant. I heard they nerfed shield bosters. Should I throw out the boosters for something else or did little actually change?
Shield cell bank changes aren't going in until Horizons/1.5 actually go live which we're assuming will be in about two weeks so you're good to keep doing what you're doing for now. Even after the change all you really need to do is fit a heat sink launcher for each shield cell bank you're using and you should be golden.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

AndroidHub posted:

My goondolences (I'm starting a new job tomorrow so I wanted to get most of the changes out of the way.)

I thought there was also a cobra mk4?

Edit: never mind didnt notice the line above every thing =V

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Shine posted:

Zhen Dock should have basically everything that isn't Anaconda-sized. Sort by name and double-check?
Zhen Dock's selection always felt pretty limited to me. Nisgayo is another great system for fitting, and is conveniently right next door to 63 g.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Shine posted:

Zhen Dock has some really weird gaps in fittings, it's bizzare.

INARA is pretty awesome for finding things near you under the galaxy tab -> outfitting. (Be sure to set your location.)

In other news, I finally reached my final two pre-Horizons goals tonight: 1B Cr in assets and Elite rating (in trading -- thanks <<REDACTED>>!)

I celebrated by buying the Federal Dropship family at Jameson Memorial because :homebrew:

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
So, controls.

Anyone else here use a controller? What bindings do you use? The 'advanced' config works great for me with a few tweaks (like target ahead on Y+shoulder button rather than Y+Dpad), but the one thing that bugs me about it is that I cannot find a combat-viable way to work in lateral thrusters alongside roll and yaw. Maybe if I put the throttle on the face buttons, I could put lateral thrust on the shoulder buttons? Would mean giving up yaw and vertical thrust for a second in order to adjust speed, but that doesn't sound crippling.

What's your favorite config, if anyone else uses a controller at all?

As far as joysticks are concerned, how about opinions regarding the Logitech 3d Pro vs the Thrustmaster T-Flight X? I'm kinda leaning towards the Logitech, because while a full HOTAS would be a really fun novelty, what matters to me more in the long term is the quality of the stick. I tend to trust logitech on this. Plus, most reviews praise the smoothness and tight control range of the logitech, while criticizing the large deadzone and greater tendency to develop wallow on the Thrustmaster, both of which are are things that bother me. Thoughts from anyone who's owned either?

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

Cathair posted:

As far as joysticks are concerned, how about opinions regarding the Logitech 3d Pro vs the Thrustmaster T-Flight X? I'm kinda leaning towards the Logitech, because while a full HOTAS would be a really fun novelty, what matters to me more in the long term is the quality of the stick. I tend to trust logitech on this. Plus, most reviews praise the smoothness and tight control range of the logitech, while criticizing the large deadzone and greater tendency to develop wallow on the Thrustmaster, both of which are are things that bother me. Thoughts from anyone who's owned either?

This doesn't help you much, but I have a Saitek X52 Pro and it's amazing for this game. You can bind everything! If you're going for a joystick make sure it has a billion buttons because you're going to need them. I actually honestly wish I had a 4th hat switch for some of this stuff.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

My biggest issue with my 3d extreme is more an issue with my playstyle. I use freelook a huge amount- to navigate all the inflight menus, situational awareness, and just to see the sights. I can't beat the fluidity of pressing the middle mouse button to switch in and out of it, and the hat switch on the joystick is terrible for that purpose. I feel like I fly way better with a mouse and keyboard- until I spend the dosh on a TrackIR for headtracking, I'm sticking to the simple solution.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I know the OP is busy but any chance they could read over these last few threads and put the advice being dispensed out in the OP? Some great information that will sadly be lost to time within a week.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Urit posted:

What's the trick to refreshing the bulletin board? I want some more of those easy "donate 2k for ++++rep w/ faction" missions.

Switching between open and solo mode usually does it (which is a way that you can stack up trading/smuggling/assassination/combat missions as well, until 1.5 drops at least), as does waiting around 10 minutes. Though at some point you'll end up seeing 20 rank-up missions available at the same time, and then you can just choose whatever looks easiest or the most fun.

edit: but never take more than one rank progression mission at the same time, because that apparently fucks them all up.

Rah! fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Nov 30, 2015

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Cathair posted:

So, controls.

Anyone else here use a controller? What bindings do you use? The 'advanced' config works great for me with a few tweaks (like target ahead on Y+shoulder button rather than Y+Dpad), but the one thing that bugs me about it is that I cannot find a combat-viable way to work in lateral thrusters alongside roll and yaw. Maybe if I put the throttle on the face buttons, I could put lateral thrust on the shoulder buttons? Would mean giving up yaw and vertical thrust for a second in order to adjust speed, but that doesn't sound crippling.

What's your favorite config, if anyone else uses a controller at all?

I currently use the Xbox 360 controller and I've dwelt on this problem since I started playing at launch. I honestly think the true solution is to buy a HOTAS but for now I am using this config that I purloined from the Interwebs. It is not perfect and has a few weird assignments that take some getting used to or just need to be reconfigured but as a starting point it is serviceable.

An alternate setup would be:

Vertical Thrust - Left stick Y axis
Horizontal Thrust - Left stick X axis
Pitch - Right stick Y axis
Yaw into roll - Right stick X axis

My issues with the alternate setup are: I already learned from the setup linked above and re-learning on something that's not a HOTAS is annoying, and the yaw into roll is really finicky. You have to be very precise with your stick movements to get the intended results and I struggled there. Also I rely a lot on roll for obvious reasons and yaw for quick corrections when aiming and interdicting so I kinda need both of those to be accessible.

Good luck on sorting your config out.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I know the OP is busy but any chance they could read over these last few threads and put the advice being dispensed out in the OP? Some great information that will sadly be lost to time within a week.
Honestly I think I'd say hold off on doing that until the Horizons beta has been out for a week or it goes live and we can consolidate it with the new stuff. Probably doesn't seem like a ton of changes at the moment but the rebalancing of hull/SCB in 1.5 along with the planetary stuff/crafting/possible new weapons in Horizons is going to change the playing field a lot very quickly. Seems a bit of a waste to add a bunch of stuff about how things work only to have to update it again rapidly.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Cathair posted:

I'd recommend the Thrustmaster T.16000m (about the same price as the T-Flight) over either of those if you're worried about deadzone issues or the stick becoming loose over time. It's solid as hell, and probably the least expensive stick out there using magnetic Hall effect sensors (also found in the Thrustmaster Warthog) rather than traditional linear potentiometers that tend to go crappy over time. They're very well-regarded. I've had mine for about a year and it's just as precise as the day I got it.

The only thing coming close to a gripe with it that I might have is that the throttle on it kinda sucks, but a) that's true of pretty much any non-HOTAS throttle, and b) I never use it anyway since I keep my other hand on the keyboard (where all my thruster controls are).

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Helter Skelter posted:

I'd recommend the Thrustmaster T.16000m (about the same price as the T-Flight) over either of those if you're worried about deadzone issues or the stick becoming loose over time. It's solid as hell, and probably the least expensive stick out there using magnetic Hall effect sensors (also found in the Thrustmaster Warthog) rather than traditional linear potentiometers that tend to go crappy over time. They're very well-regarded. I've had mine for about a year and it's just as precise as the day I got it.

The only thing coming close to a gripe with it that I might have is that the throttle on it kinda sucks, but a) that's true of pretty much any non-HOTAS throttle, and b) I never use it anyway since I keep my other hand on the keyboard (where all my thruster controls are).

:stare: Holy poo poo, thanks for bringing this to my attention. I didn't know there was such a good option available in a relatively affordable price range. I'm trying to keep the price as low as possible for a device that I'm not going to use for very many games, but that's not too much more to pay for Hall Effect sensors and really solid action.

Like you said, I don't care about having a throttle on a flightstick's base either. It's far too out of the way to constantly keep a hand on, which negates the biggest advantage of an analogue throttle. Keyboard throttle is fine.

How does the hat switch feel? It looks a bit crappy. Which isn't a dealbreaker, just wondering.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

INARA is pretty awesome for finding things near you under the galaxy tab -> outfitting. (Be sure to set your location.)

:stare: how long has this been a thing because holy poo poo

also I hit up the top ten results near Xihe for the C3 gimballed pulse lasers and got nothin' :argh:

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
I was playing about at our own station in 63 G and noticed we had gimballed C3 pulse.

The outfitting isn't all that bad

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

JosephSkunk posted:

How do you takes those beautiful screenshots, that include your own ship?

There is an unbound key in your bindings (I believe it's still defaulted to unbound) for a debug or third person camera. It's clunky and you're limited on angles you can choose to snap a picture from but it works well enough to get some pretty screenshots when you want them.

Someone else can give you the actual name of the bind you're looking for. I haven't looked in my bindings since they gave us that feature some time ago and I've forgotten it's name to be honest.

I laughed too hard at this. I send little nonsense messages to every player I see so I've always got a list of 8-10 people in my contacts who I'm not friends with.

LCL-Dead fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Nov 30, 2015

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Cathair posted:

How does the hat switch feel? It looks a bit crappy. Which isn't a dealbreaker, just wondering.
That was actually something I was a bit worried about when I bought it, but it turns out it actually feels pretty good.

I will say that the buttons on the top of the stick feel a bit mushy (a bit like a membrane keyboard), but it doesn't affect their reliability or anything.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Honestly, the changes to shield cell banks left me cold until yesterday, when I had to fight a loving Adder which just refused to die. That NPC-fucker just blasted off shield cells repeatedly to stay alive and just before it finally died, it lasered my Imperial Eagle through the canopy.

Limping home across multiple systems, just using my radar, was a fun experience at least. :v:

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

If you ever end up in a situation where you’re going to run into something you don’t want to run into, your best bet is to turn flight assist off and put 4 pips into SYS. Most of the damage when you run into poo poo isn’t from the initial collision, it’s from your thrusters continually pushing you into the wall or whatever other poo poo you’ve steered yourself into. Just kill everything and let yourself bounce around until you’ve bled off momentum and can get your bearings again.

Also, unless it's changed since I last played you brake slightly faster with FA off. That's saved me a few times when I boosted too close to the station entrance.

Cathair posted:

Cobra M5 is best cheap(er) joystick. Has hall sensors like the TM16000 but also multiple hats, pinkie switch and dual stage trigger. Though availability is an issue. Easier if you're in Europe, can order it off various Polish or German sites.

Libluini posted:

Fresh from my override-xml:

<MatrixRed> 0.21, 0.29, 0.93 </MatrixRed>
<MatrixGreen> 0, 1, 0 </MatrixGreen>
<MatrixBlue> 1, 1, 1 </MatrixBlue>

There's also a green one I shamelessly stole from another goon you'll see appearing in later screenshots, but when I got back home I noticed there's some text you can barely make out with it, so I changed back to this one.

Thanks.

it dont matter fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 30, 2015

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Turning FA off and "bouncing around with 4 pips in sys until you stop" just seems like a bad idea to me.

If you boost at the wrong moment and know you're going to hit the wall, 4 pips to sys is a must, outside of that you should be providing proper throttle management to mitigate as much of the damage as possible. You know, putting on the brakes.

Once you've hit the wall and your forward momentum has been effectively erased, zero out your throttle and allow Flight Assist to bring your ship to a complete stop. Then you can adjust course as needed to get back to where you were originally going.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

LCL-Dead posted:

Turning FA off and "bouncing around with 4 pips in sys until you stop" just seems like a bad idea to me.

If you boost at the wrong moment and know you're going to hit the wall, 4 pips to sys is a must, outside of that you should be providing proper throttle management to mitigate as much of the damage as possible. You know, putting on the brakes.

Once you've hit the wall and your forward momentum has been effectively erased, zero out your throttle and allow Flight Assist to bring your ship to a complete stop. Then you can adjust course as needed to get back to where you were originally going.

I have a keyboard-key bound to zero speed for that exact reason. Hammering my emergency-stop-button has saved my rear end more then once.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Protip: deploying the cargo scoop makes you slow down faster.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

I have a keyboard-key bound to zero speed for that exact reason. Hammering my emergency-stop-button has saved my rear end more then once.

Mike the TV posted:

If I am trying to stop as fast as possible I deploy all of the things. Hardpoints (Even though this does nothing), landing gear and cargo scoop.

I'm a joystick + keyboard player so I have a -50/0/50/100 keybinding set up on F1-F4 for speed control with fine tuning done via W/S. When landing gear is deployed WASD becomes directional as well so not only do I hit the reverse thrust key and then mash S to drag it up to -100% but depending on the angle I'm moving I'll use my lateral thrusters to try and bleed speed as well.

When I first flew the Asp I promptly splashed it into the station wall just shy of the mail slot and exploded. This was because I had come from a Vulture and left the landing pad like I was still flying one.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Mike the TV posted:

Same with landing gear. Throw your landing gear down, slam reverse, and 4 pips sys. This is how you survive accidental ramming.

This is the only way to use a landing computer, btw. If you have a docking computer, boost on into the slot, then zero the throttle and let it do the final approach. Skips the whole "waiting your turnnnn" bullshit that will gently caress you when smuggling.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

What should I aim for with my Eagle?

This is my current, bounty hunting loadout:

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Rah! posted:

Switching between open and solo mode usually does it (which is a way that you can stack up trading/smuggling/assassination/combat missions as well, until 1.5 drops at least), as does waiting around 10 minutes. Though at some point you'll end up seeing 20 rank-up missions available at the same time, and then you can just choose whatever looks easiest or the most fun.

edit: but never take more than one rank progression mission at the same time, because that apparently fucks them all up.

I've noticed a distinct lack of "give money for rep" missions recently but it might be my garbo luck

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Inacio posted:

What should I aim for with my Eagle?

This is my current, bounty hunting loadout:

An Imperial Eagle :D

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

AndroidHub posted:

Just finished updating the op for 1.5/horizons and got a new thread title, check it out. As always suggest things that you see missing or contribute guides or w/e and I'll change/update the op as appropriate.

Nice OP updates. And it's a great subtitle, no doubt, but "Elite Dangerous: Horizons - This Game Just Got Buggier" will always hold a special place in my heart

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I wonder if it's worth it to not pay smuggling fines, considering that I'm flying a Cobra, which is not that expensive to buy.
I haven't died once yet, so I have no idea how death work in Elite but I was thinking that maybe skipping the fines would save me more money than enough money to re-buy the same ship after an eventual death to some bounty hunter.

Also, does anyone have any tips on how to dock without getting your cargo scanned? No matter how fast I try to dock, and if I do it manually or via a module, whether I get scanned or not seems to be entirely random.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

I wonder if it's worth it to not pay smuggling fines, considering that I'm flying a Cobra, which is not that expensive to buy.
I haven't died once yet, so I have no idea how death work in Elite but I was thinking that maybe skipping the fines would save me more money than enough money to re-buy the same ship after an eventual death to some bounty hunter.

Also, does anyone have any tips on how to dock without getting your cargo scanned? No matter how fast I try to dock, and if I do it manually or via a module, whether I get scanned or not seems to be entirely random.

You will be forced to pay fines when you die - it'll be part of your respawn cost. Fines are not bounties, either.

I've found that getting in with the ruling party seems to mean my ship gets scanned less. Also there are no cops at Outpost stations (the ones without the mailslot to fly though, they're just open-to-space pads).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Urit posted:

You will be forced to pay fines when you die - it'll be part of your respawn cost. Fines are not bounties, either.

I've found that getting in with the ruling party seems to mean my ship gets scanned less. Also there are no cops at Outpost stations (the ones without the mailslot to fly though, they're just open-to-space pads).

Not always true. I've run into outposts with cops that scan you as you come in. But it seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

• Locked thread