Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
That Forbes article just makes me more upset than anything.

"Oh, you're upper-middle class, ergo you're not allowed to empathize with the working poor. :smug:"

It's not worth the digital ink on the virtual page it's printed on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

McAlister posted:

Yep, probably a good way to settle a jealous hubby down. God says your wife wasn't sleeping with the mailman, you can relax now.

However, the entire charade would be based on the belief that the pregnancy would be divinely aborted if she'd been cheating on him. A God that didn't respect choice would not use such a deception given that premise.

Edit:

Hell, a God that didn't respect choice wouldn't create plants with the same active ingredient as the abortion pill and plant them all over the world ... And yet rue, hellebore, sysphium, etc ... Created by God for a rather obvious purpose.

Miscarriages aren't uncommon, and I'm pretty sure any woman unlucky enough to have one any time after drinking that potion probably was in for a bad time.

And I'm no historian on the topic of midwifery, but I'm reasonably sure humans have had ways to induce abortions for a really, really, REALLY long time. The backlash against it is relatively recent and really quite weird.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Who What Now posted:

Miscarriages aren't uncommon, and I'm pretty sure any woman unlucky enough to have one any time after drinking that potion probably was in for a bad time.

And I'm no historian on the topic of midwifery, but I'm reasonably sure humans have had ways to induce abortions for a really, really, REALLY long time. The backlash against it is relatively recent and really quite weird.

For as long as stairs existed I'm sure.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Who What Now posted:

It's not weird at all. People were ok with women ending their pregnancy early before because they were still sexual property of their husbands. Childbirth and the discretion to end it was part of their "domain". Now that women have gotten airs about controlling their own body, they can't be allowed to do it anymore.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I read somewhere that something like 40% of all conceptions end in a miscarriage.

Anyway, I'm not sure that middle ages people were cool with abortions as the woman who did the abortions was often thought to be a witch.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

rkajdi posted:

Considering Trump was talking about camping some Muslims last week, the comments about this reporter are sort of chump change. He hasn't gotten to the point were he's talking about doing similar stuff to other unfavored minorities (like LGBT people, disabled people, or athiests) but I give him a few weeks until that comes up. With the comments about the PP killer being transgendered, I'm expecting that sooner rather than later.

Chump change, sure, but it's an especially odious black mark on his already ink-black stained character.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

zoux posted:

I read somewhere that something like 40% of all conceptions end in a miscarriage.

This is only true if you count failure to implant as miscarriage, if this happens the woman will probably never even know about it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

haveblue posted:

This is only true if you count failure to implant as miscarriage, if this happens the woman will probably never even know about it.

That's what I mean though, if life begins when the egg is fertilized, then why is God harvesting all these secret souls?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

zoux posted:

Anyway, I'm not sure that middle ages people were cool with abortions as the woman who did the abortions was often thought to be a witch.

They were cool with it. Not openly, though, and they'd just conveniently dump the stigma on the people doing their dirty work, so to speak.

Also see re: usury and Jews.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

zoux posted:

That's what I mean though, if life begins when the egg is fertilized, then why is God harvesting all these secret souls?

Why does god need a starship?

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JT Jag posted:

It's not weird at all. People were ok with women ending their pregnancy early before because they were still sexual property of their husbands. Childbirth and the discretion to end it was part of their "domain". Now that women have gotten airs about controlling their own body, they can't be allowed to do it anymore.

This is the root of the whole thing. Just remember that the Christian Right outside of Catholicism wasn't even pro-life until Nixon tried to make a wedge issue out of abortion. In reality, a lot of this stuff has been internalized as blowback against feminism/sexual revolution/modernity so the issue is now more about just putting a boot on uppity women for wanting decided if/when they spit out kids. You see the same issue in a secular sense ever time there's an article on women not wanting children. Some men just feel they get to tell women when they are going to be sexually available and what the consequences of that availability will be.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

If the PP shooter is assessed as incapable of standing trial then there won't be a trial, right? He won't get his day in court and the media can ascribe any motives they like to him. Is that correct?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I think that nothing really shows that the abortion debate is about sexual agency than the fact that the pro-life movement has been trying to push the idea that birth control in general is an abortion for years. If you actually look at the science and method in which they are indented to work, birth control pills are not stopping implantation except in very small theoretical chances that other drugs also do (and for some crazy reason pro-lifers don't care about).

If they were interested in stopping abortions they would be encouraging sex education as well as giving up on the whole abstinence thing but it's always been about slut shaming.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Nov 30, 2015

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Will Trump say "I saw thousands of Christians celebrating the Planned Parenthood shooting!" after spending an afternoon on Twitter?

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

haveblue posted:

Yeah most women won't notice if they miscarry even if it the fertilized egg implants. There are a ton of things that can go wrong and most of them happen very early into a pregnancy so while miscarriages happen over a third of the time most women won't notice that they miscarried.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Cnidaria posted:

Yeah most women won't notice if they miscarry even if it the fertilized egg implants. There are a ton of things that can go wrong and most of them happen very early into a pregnancy so while miscarriages happen over a third of the time most women won't notice that they miscarried.

If they do though they should be suspect of premeditated murder.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

rkajdi posted:

You see the same issue in a secular sense ever time there's an article on women not wanting children.

It's great fun hearing the backlash to your decision to not want children. I'm going on 28 and apparently some baby alarm clock is supposed to be going off, but really I'm wanting to stay away from something that so heavily ties down my independence. Some women couldn't be so lucky as me. You saw this when childhood abandonment was made legal in Arkansas (I think), but kids of all ages from different states were getting dropped off until the law was restricted to under 1 year and in state only. Something like 10% of kids are not wanted at all with 30% unplanned. So 40% of kids are unwanted/unplanned. Studies have found parents of unwanted kids harbored resentment, which can have damaging psychological affects.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Cythereal posted:

Maybe I'm naive, but I don't get why anyone would care that the Planned Parenthood shooter may be transgender. Women are just as capable of terrorism as men are, and what gender he or she was born as should be doubly irrelevant.

Because transgender = liberal, therefore not a result of a constant right wing incitement, as far as those who care are concerned.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Personally as a supporter of trans rights I feel that our duty as allies is to support what trans people do, and if that includes gunning down the public then so be it. My real opinion.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
They lost to the gay agenda so trans people are the new thing to be scared of wrt to gender.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think Ted Cruz was just saying the most liberal thing he could think of and then implied that even if that was the case it doesn't mean all liberals are murderers, just like it doesn't mean that all prolife people are murderers if this one prolife guy is. Not that it isn't absurd coming from Mr. Broad Brush himself but i don't think he was saying that the shooter was literally a trans person.

Conservative Humor, everyone

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 30, 2015

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

zoux posted:

I think Ted Cruz was just saying the most liberal thing he could think of and then implied that even if that was the case it doesn't mean all liberals are murderers, just like it doesn't mean that all prolife people are murderers if this one prolife guy is. Not that it isn't absurd coming from Mr. Broad Brush himself but i don't think he was saying that the shooter was literally a trans person.

He was literally saying the shooter is a literal trans person. Apparently Dear's voter registration lists him as a woman for whatever reason, which the far right has spun to mean that he's actually a trans woman and therefore a liberal and therefore this isn't about abortion and they're not responsible.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
What are people's thoughts on The Ascent of Money by Niall Ferguson? I know the man himself is a blood-gargling rich-fellating imperialist asshat who hasn't been right about anything relating be to economics, domestic policy, or foreign policy since at least 2000. But is the book good as a descriptive text and explainer? Or is it too embedded in his ideology?

I'm assembling a reading list for a friend and trying to decide if I should put this on it. Kind of "baby's first modern leftist syllabus", though given his background I can cut all the higher minded political theory and ethical philosophy (he studied it in school) and stuff on the women's/gay rights movement (given his background it would be like trying to teach Einstein physics; he's well past anything I could suggest)

Thought so far, in reading order:

Money/Finance
Debt: The First 5000 Years
Money: The Unauthorized Biography
I need a good source on finance/banking/economics in the revolutionary and napoleonic era. One on Jackson would probably be good as well
The Half Has Never Been Told
I need a source on the primary role of monetary policy in finance/banking and American political discourse between the end of the civil war and the Progressive era
The Deluge: The Great Was, America and the Remaking of the Global Order
Lords of Finance: The Bankers Who Broke the World
The Wages of Destruction
again, if there is a good one or two for the financial warfare against the soviets, fights over monetary policy/bretton woods, financial deals for the rebuilding of Europe and the spread of the Anglo-Saxon legal/banking system it would be great
Confessions of an Economic Hitman
Liar's Poker
is there a bigger book for the finance/banking/deregulation of the 80s? LP is very tightly focused
Griftopia
The Big Short
Treasury Wars
A Game as Old as Empire

Idea with this is backgrounders (Debt, Money, possibly Ferguson's) then walk through chronologically to see the big picture about finance/banking/monetary policy as a structural force acting on national policy and development. Though the last 40 years are much more tightly focused, largely because it is so recent so there isn't the long time to see all the fallout and all the disclosures about what is really happening. I also tried to focus more on concrete events and less on the big picture abstractions (eg talk about how the mortgage interest deduction is regressive and increases inequality, not what inequality is and how it is increasing and how it is bad)

I have half lists for others as well but I don't want to type them up on my phone, but topics are basically foreign policy, war, intelligence services, the federal bureaucracy, federal vs states (this one isn't fleshed out at all, basically just Forner's Reconstruction), police, immigration and assimilation, the government's dealings with minorities, and a general "black history" category drawing from reconstruction to the myriad of ways they got screwed over the years and how that led to the current alignment where it dips back in to the finance and police reading lists

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Swan Oat posted:

Personally as a supporter of trans rights I feel that our duty as allies is to support what trans people do, and if that includes gunning down the public then so be it. My real opinion.

Strictly speaking it is running them over with your car, not gunning them down

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Fried Chicken posted:

Strictly speaking it is running them over with your car, not gunning them down

And of course that car was made in a UAW plant to solidify their democratic principles.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Notorious QIG posted:

He was literally saying the shooter is a literal trans person. Apparently Dear's voter registration lists him as a woman for whatever reason, which the far right has spun to mean that he's actually a trans woman and therefore a liberal and therefore this isn't about abortion and they're not responsible.

A genealogy website, not voter registration. Voter registration says UAF, which means "unaffiliated" but they have decided means United Against Fascism, a left wing activist group opposed to, well...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Notorious QIG posted:

No he was saying "look, if we're going by media reports..." as a rhetorical tactic. I doubt that Ted Cruz even thinks that trans people are a real thing.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

zoux posted:

No he was saying "look, if we're going by media reports..." as a rhetorical tactic. I doubt that Ted Cruz even thinks that trans people are a real thing.

Why are people acting like it can't be both? Brush off the point that it was his side that did it, beat back the press so they won't push the issue that the right wing is killing people, boost his supporters by blaming an other for their actions. It silences critical while increasing standing. An action can accomplish multiple things at once.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
As an aside if I could officially register as an antifascist, that would be really cool.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Fried Chicken posted:

Why are people acting like it can't be both? Brush off the point that it was his side that did it, beat back the press so they won't push the issue that the right wing is killing people, boost his supporters by blaming an other for their actions. It silences critical while increasing standing. An action can accomplish multiple things at once.

Yeah, this. Cruz used the "well the media :v:" argument as a framing device. I don't know if he truly believes that Dear is a trans person, but he is in fact saying that Dear is a trans person and his base is going to eat that poo poo up.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

For your reading list, I thought Tim Harford's The Undercover Economist Strikes Back did an excellent job explaining how monetary policy works, how debt works, why inflation happens, what the Fed actually does, why anyone telling you we should go back to the gold standard is a complete moron, but it's also very practical and informative, a basic primer of why Keynesian macroeconomics is correct and why we should ignore the idiots who are trying to ruin things, so if they aren't totally familiar with how things function right now, as opposed to how they might think it functions...

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Toph Bei Fong posted:

For your reading list, I thought Tim Harford's The Undercover Economist Strikes Back did an excellent job explaining how monetary policy works, how debt works, why inflation happens, what the Fed actually does, why anyone telling you we should go back to the gold standard is a complete moron, but it's also very practical and informative, a basic primer of why Keynesian macroeconomics is correct and why we should ignore the idiots who are trying to ruin things, so if they aren't totally familiar with how things function right now, as opposed to how they might think it functions...

Thanks. I just realized I left IOU: Why Everyone Owes Everyone off the list, but that's on it

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Kicking Away the Ladder, Bad Samaritans and 21 things I didn't know about capitalism, all by Ha-Joon Chang are three good books that analyze and debunk the myth that free trade economics is what powered the assent of every industrialized/advanced economy during the industrial revolution through to the economies of South Korea and Singapore

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

Swan Oat posted:

As an aside if I could officially register as an antifascist, that would be really cool.

agreed. get on this, obama

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I'm glad someone is finally telling it like it is.

http://www.okwu.edu/blog/2015/11/this-is-not-a-day-care-its-a-university/

quote:

This past week, I actually had a student come forward after a university chapel service and complain because he felt “victimized” by a sermon on the topic of 1 Corinthians 13. It appears that this young scholar felt offended because a homily on love made him feel bad for not showing love! In his mind, the speaker was wrong for making him, and his peers, feel uncomfortable.

I’m not making this up. Our culture has actually taught our kids to be this self-absorbed and narcissistic! Any time their feelings are hurt, they are the victims! Anyone who dares challenge them and, thus, makes them “feel bad” about themselves, is a “hater,” a “bigot,” an “oppressor,” and a “victimizer.”

I have a message for this young man and all others who care to listen. That feeling of discomfort you have after listening to a sermon is called a conscience! An altar call is supposed to make you feel bad! It is supposed to make you feel guilty! The goal of many a good sermon is to get you to confess your sins—not coddle you in your selfishness. The primary objective of the Church and the Christian faith is your confession, not your self-actualization!

So here’s my advice:

If you want the chaplain to tell you you’re a victim rather than tell you that you need virtue, this may not be the university you’re looking for. If you want to complain about a sermon that makes you feel less than loving for not showing love, this might be the wrong place.

If you’re more interested in playing the “hater” card than you are in confessing your own hate; if you want to arrogantly lecture, rather than humbly learn; if you don’t want to feel guilt in your soul when you are guilty of sin; if you want to be enabled rather than confronted, there are many universities across the land (in Missouri and elsewhere) that will give you exactly what you want, but Oklahoma Wesleyan isn’t one of them.

At OKWU, we teach you to be selfless rather than self-centered. We are more interested in you practicing personal forgiveness than political revenge. We want you to model interpersonal reconciliation rather than foment personal conflict. We believe the content of your character is more important than the color of your skin. We don’t believe that you have been victimized every time you feel guilty and we don’t issue “trigger warnings” before altar calls.

Oklahoma Wesleyan is not a “safe place”, but rather, a place to learn: to learn that life isn’t about you, but about others; that the bad feeling you have while listening to a sermon is called guilt; that the way to address it is to repent of everything that’s wrong with you rather than blame others for everything that’s wrong with them. This is a place where you will quickly learn that you need to grow up!

This is not a day care. This is a university!

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

cheese eats mouse posted:

It's great fun hearing the backlash to your decision to not want children. I'm going on 28 and apparently some baby alarm clock is supposed to be going off, but really I'm wanting to stay away from something that so heavily ties down my independence. Some women couldn't be so lucky as me. You saw this when childhood abandonment was made legal in Arkansas (I think), but kids of all ages from different states were getting dropped off until the law was restricted to under 1 year and in state only. Something like 10% of kids are not wanted at all with 30% unplanned. So 40% of kids are unwanted/unplanned. Studies have found parents of unwanted kids harbored resentment, which can have damaging psychological affects.

I agree completely. I've been on the wrong end of it (being denied actually effective family planning by a doctor) and I'm a man. I can't imagine what it's like being second guessed with birth control both by your employer and your doctor when you have all the real burden of the child, instead of just being out some money for 18 years.

All that said, less people having kids means we need more immigration to make up the additional population growth. I see it as a win-win since I'm all for seeing the current ruling demo made less dominant, but I have to think that maybe part of the issue the right has with people not having kids is that they're scared as hell of any non-European gracing our shores and possibly altering the culture. I mean, just little things like adding more different kinds of food is something that halfway set old people off. Anecdotally, I saw this with my 80 year old father a few years ago when I suggested eating at a Mexican place. Man never in his life had Mexican food (or even the American version) and the whole concept was pretty ripe with challenges for him. If small stuff like that is offputting, or dare I say triggering, then the whole idea of a bunch more people for places you've never really understood must be frightening. Not saying he's justified at all (he's an old racist coot) but part of the less kids thing is definitely fear of no longer being in the majority. But it's definitely in second place behind continuing the family line in way that costs you exactly the amount of dollars and effort that you feel like putting forward that day.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

Who What Now posted:

This is true. There was a plant that was known in greek/roman antiquity to be an abortifacient, and they loved that poo poo so much they harvested it to extinction.

E: one country loved it so much they put it on their money. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silphium

A Man With A Plan fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 30, 2015

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Swan Oat posted:

Be careful about your timing, you don't want to end up a premature antifascist! :ohdear:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Some hot Cyber Monday deals up on the US Government Publishing Office store. Check out the sale price on the 2010 dietary guidelines manual!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

rscott posted:

Kicking Away the Ladder, Bad Samaritans and 21 things I didn't know about capitalism, all by Ha-Joon Chang are three good books that analyze and debunk the myth that free trade economics is what powered the assent of every industrialized/advanced economy during the industrial revolution through to the economies of South Korea and Singapore

For anyone else reading this, Kicking Away the Ladder isn't available as ebook. Same with Mark Ames' Going Postal, which examines workplace violence and rampages from the frame of inequality, or anything by Richard D Wolff (last time I checked)

Edit: ok Wolff's stuff started getting converted in 2012, so two of his are ebooks now

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 30, 2015

• Locked thread