Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I nearly teared up at Rider's last stand. This entire arc was executed perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
The post-acid Genos shows that he at least has human bones left. Although that seems to be it.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Perfect ONE face all the way down.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!
I think I saw some stretches of muscle tissue on his shoulders as well.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I'm pretty sure that's all synthetic and Genos is a full-body cyborg at this point.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Genos is totally a Battle Angel Alita style cyborg where the only human part is a brain in a box.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

AnonSpore posted:

The one thing I'm sorta disappointed about was the sequence where the Sea King grabs Genos and tosses him into the wall wasn't done like the original. That was such a wonderful scene.

He did that.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

AtomikKrab posted:

He did that.

I know, but it wasn't framed like it was in Murata's version, with the fixed background and then the Sea King just being the only thing moving in between the cuts. Gave it this awesome sense of motion.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

true love

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

Genos is totally a Battle Angel Alita style cyborg where the only human part is a brain in a box.

They also share a habit of completely trashing their bodies just about every time they get into a fight.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i thought mumen rider was a joke but he's actually really cool

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Dreggon posted:

This show has deep and complex characters.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Dreggon posted:

He's both

Every character in One Punch Man is both

Every

One

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Torquemadras posted:

He's both

Every character in One Punch Man is both

Every

One

NEET guy is a necessary character and a great joke but is not cool at all. gently caress that guy.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Did not know the guy who sang the DBZ intro is now with Jam Project and did the OPM intro too.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Hellsau posted:

NEET guy is a necessary character and a great joke but is not cool at all. gently caress that guy.

Yeah, that guy sucks. I do think the anime did a better job of showing just how unbelievable Saitama's strength is, it really does take on an unreal quality when you see it in motion.

I love his punch blowing away all the rain, such a perfect moment.

Licenseless Rider will always have a license... to my heart :allears:. He's also the one of few heroes on the Genos and Saitama level of embodying everything a hero should be, and the perfect guy to hold down the rank C #1 spot.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Honestly, he's hundreds of tiers above Genos and Saitama on the "real hero" scale.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

yeah he's no where near as lazy as saitama and cares way more about being a hero than genos. attitude-wise he's pretty much perfect

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Honestly, he's hundreds of tiers above Genos and Saitama on the "real hero" scale.

I love licenscless rider, but that's shortchanging Genos. The guy jumped in front of a giant ball of acid to save one little girl and he consciously fights to avoid civilians getting hurt.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
He's a pretty cool guy, but remember that there's a simmering pot of revenge on his back-burner, just waiting to turn him into a pile of angst.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
He has already changed a lot, he's already compared himself to someone else as being like him before he met Saitama.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Licenseless Rider's logic of "it's not about winning or losing, I have to fight regardless" pretty much mirrors Saitama's earlier statement of "if the heroes run away, who'll beat the threat" during the Meteor arc. Both of them choose to fight against every threat, regardless of level, though the results and expectations are obviously wildly different given their power levels. Rider fights despite knowing that he might lose, whereas Saitama pretty much knows (to his dismay) that he'll win instantly. Even a threat like the Sea King, who took out 2 S Ranks, 3 A Ranks, 1 B Rank, and 3 C Ranks registers on the same level as a monster with a Disaster level of Tiger or lower.

Neither are too concerned with ranking and popularity and the whole politics of hero business. In Rider's case, it's cause he genuinely simply cares about doing good. Whereas in Saitama's case, ranks themselves don't hold much meaning other than not having to meet a quota because, again, the implied power levels of each rank don't matter to him. From the perspective of pretty much everyone else, there's a massive difference between ranks - even Rider, who's 1st in C Rank, admits that he can't make it in B Rank - but for Saitama, the only notable difference is presumably that higher rank dudes know more tricks. From where he's standing, the power difference between himself and Genos is not much different between the power difference between himself and a random C Rank.

So from Saitama's viewpoint, it's not about how strong you are as a hero, it's about your attitude.

This is probably why Saitama is appreciative of Rider and even tells him "nice fight", given that he hardly ever offers someone heartfelt admiration.

brotato
May 14, 2013

Cthulhuchan posted:

He's a pretty cool guy, but remember that there's a simmering pot of revenge on his back-burner, just waiting to turn him into a pile of angst.
He's got a pretty nasty temper considering he was gonna torch the hell outta saitama's second letter (and the mean letter writer.) C'mon dude, don't start fires in the house it is dangerous.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

We already saw a bit of Genos' character development in last week's episode.

He stopped doing the Naruto run.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

genos is a hero because he thinks that will make him stronger, not because he really cares about the good work he does

whether that actually matters or not when you're using your body to shield a little girl from deadly acid, i don't know.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There's at least the argument to be made that Genos could reliably predict he'd survive it, given his robot body. He has shown willing to die for the greater good so it's not like he's selfish at all but getting a free re-do when you get body destroying injuries will give you leeway to sacrifice your body for others more often.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Holy gently caress this latest episode has crossed the threshold and out-murata'd Murata, loving incredible art and animation on display!! awesome. Absolutely awesome. In fact there are segments in episode that are shockingly MORE EXCITING than the manga, the animators really should be commended.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 30, 2015

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

There's at least the argument to be made that Genos could reliably predict he'd survive it, given his robot body. He has shown willing to die for the greater good so it's not like he's selfish at all but getting a free re-do when you get body destroying injuries will give you leeway to sacrifice your body for others more often.

He could survive the acid, but even if he didn't know "this will turn me into literally an armless skeleton" he had to have known that taking the hit would lower his chances of winning, and the Sea King's not the type to say "oh good fight see you next time when you're fixed up."

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Pretty much.

I'm wasn't saying Genos is an rear end in a top hat or anything like that when I first said what I said, it's just that Licenseless Rider is purity and heroism personified.

He's in a league of his own.

Steak Bentley
Jul 16, 2011

Alright, sonny. Consider yourself pinched.

He's in a league of his own.

He's the spirit of C-Rank incarnate.

Fubuki's feelings of inadequacy, Sweet mask's narcissism and Tatsumaki/Blast's mysterious and self serving attitudes all capture what their classes are about.

C-Rank is just normal people doing their best and while it's good that Saitama gets promoted all the time I always get a little sad when he surpasses rider.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 30, 2015

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Steak Bentley posted:

He's the spirit of C-Rank incarnate.

[snip]

C-Rank is just normal people doing their best and while it's good that Saitama gets promoted all the time I always get a little sad when he surpasses rider.

We haven't met one of those people and we've barely met the other two, this is still the anime thread.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

didn't fubuki get a cameo a little while back? still too early to talk about that though yeah

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

didn't fubuki get a cameo a little while back? still too early to talk about that though yeah

yeah, she was in a post-credit bit.

Steak Bentley
Jul 16, 2011

Alright, sonny. Consider yourself pinched.

gnome7 posted:

We haven't met one of those people and we've barely met the other two, this is still the anime thread.

sorry chief I'm excitable

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

dogsicle posted:

yeah, she was in a post-credit bit.

Briefly with some people with nice suits earlier in that episode, too

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Steak Bentley posted:

C Rank's gonna be fine; it's the higher ranks that all need a swift kick in the rear end a training regime of 100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats and a 10 KM run EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. to rise above their problems and be the heroes they were always meant to be.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Nah there's plenty of jackass C-ranks too.

Licenceless Rider is just A Cool Guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Shugojin posted:

Nah there's plenty of jackass C-ranks too.

Licenceless Rider is just A Cool Guy.

Right. That's why C Rank will be fine.

• Locked thread