Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

So yeah fallout rules pretty hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Remember the Wicked Shipping Fleet Lockup? After some evidence of foul play in the manifest terminals, one of the side buildings has two skeletons slouched apart on the opposing sides of the room, one with a gas canister and one with a pistol. There's a holotape on the table of one of the business partners calling up the other for a heart-to-heart meeting about skipping town after one of their black deals went really bad.

It looks like they shot each other after a terrible argument... until you clamber on the roof where you find a third skeleton with a duffle bag full of money, lying right by a pair of holes in the roof. Seat yourself on the bones and peer down, the holes line up perfectly with the skeletons down below.

TontoCorazon posted:

So yeah fallout rules pretty hard

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I like how human enemies dying in a hail of automatic weapons fire will do that dance you see in the movies where the bullets knock them around for a while before they fall over, or the time I killed a super mutant with a .308 round to the guts and he grasped his stomach, doubled over and took a few stumbling steps, then fell. It's such a big improvement over 3/NV, where the combat was so static.

My death animations tend to be from exploded heads, causing the arms to meagerly flop around. Sort of like a puppet on strings waggling about, I love it.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I had a jihadist super mutant trying to close the distance between us, felt like a total bad rear end when I caught him with a sick nasty head shot and his body goes limp and face plants.

I know it's been said but the death animations are pretty great.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

There are people that don't aim for the suicide mutants arms first thing :confused:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I have a shotgun with exploding bullets, I just point it in a direction and everything tends to die. Who has time to aim?

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

ShootaBoy posted:

There are people that don't aim for the suicide mutants arms first thing :confused:

I think of it as more of a challenge.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ShootaBoy posted:

Recovering that sweet sweet mini-nuke is top priority.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

scamtank posted:

Remember the Wicked Shipping Fleet Lockup? After some evidence of foul play in the manifest terminals, one of the side buildings has two skeletons slouched apart on the opposing sides of the room, one with a gas canister and one with a pistol. There's a holotape on the table of one of the business partners calling up the other for a heart-to-heart meeting about skipping town after one of their black deals went really bad.

It looks like they shot each other after a terrible argument... until you clamber on the roof where you find a third skeleton with a duffle bag full of money, lying right by a pair of holes in the roof. Seat yourself on the bones and peer down, the holes line up perfectly with the skeletons down below.

I collect pool balls for chuckles. Every pool ball I find goes on the Big Table at home, and each one is like finding a piece of candy. Obviously, each time I find a pool table with a ton of them it's like christmas.

I found a table halfway through a hole in the second floor. Four balls were stuck on its lining, ten more scattered around the diner, under tables, behind counters and such, one just outside the door... and one had rolled outside and all the way down the hill into a lake, 30+ yards from the pool table.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Mass Effect 2 :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-CDNLYZ0zA

Archibald Tuttle
Jan 10, 2006

ShootaBoy posted:

I usually aim for the nuke. :getin:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Evilreaver posted:

I collect pool balls for chuckles. Every pool ball I find goes on the Big Table at home, and each one is like finding a piece of candy. Obviously, each time I find a pool table with a ton of them it's like christmas.

I found a table halfway through a hole in the second floor. Four balls were stuck on its lining, ten more scattered around the diner, under tables, behind counters and such, one just outside the door... and one had rolled outside and all the way down the hill into a lake, 30+ yards from the pool table.

I remember in Timesplitters 2, when you found a pool table, you could shoot the balls to sink them into the pockets. Is there anything like that in Fallout 4? I'm not really expecting it, but I think that'd be a fun little detail in the game.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Leavemywife posted:

I remember in Timesplitters 2, when you found a pool table, you could shoot the balls to sink them into the pockets. Is there anything like that in Fallout 4? I'm not really expecting it, but I think that'd be a fun little detail in the game.

Goodness no. Throwing pool balls is about as effective as throwing koosh balls. They roll 6 inches tops and knock into each other as wimpy as a physics engine can possibly wimp out.

Same thing when I found a bowling alley. I got a huge running start halfway down the alley, threw a bowling ball at some pins, and it didn't even make it.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

ShootaBoy posted:

Only when I fast travel into the area and he's ten feet away. Kneecap!

edit: whenever these reminders come up, it just makes me want another Timesplitters game. :(

Leavemywife posted:

Grey Fox has a new favorite as of 23:45 on Nov 28, 2015

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Thin Privilege posted:

It's the right (direction) option so O on PS4 and B on Xbox and I assume right arrow on PC? When some dumbass is giving you their life story hit that button to skip their lines. Now that I got it to work she just went " blah blah blah...." At some dude.

I've been using left mouse button on PC and just been getting the default skip lines. I'll try the right arrow key next time.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

To chime in the the Fallout 4 stuff, just found this place called Libertalia off the coast, its a bunch of boats tied together to form a little town. It might be a Waterworld reference but I think its a joke about the libertarian plans for their own island outside any laws where they could be Randian capitalists or whatever. Of course its all raiders.

I know, I know Bioshock did it first but its so ramshackle and poo poo its probably a better representation of what happens one week after they all move in and what initial conditions would be like with no building regulations.

Edit Other things that have greatly pleased me

They seem to have gotten the amount of health a mob should have mostly right. For example a highish relatively hp mob like tough ghoul isn't a gigantic hitpoints bag but if you are in a building and it gets close its going to be a little rough to take down before you start taking rad and regular damage but you can just chop his legs off which renders him pretty much impotent and you can then finish him at your leisure which is another little thing I like because I remember back in 3 and vegas the removal of a limb was instant death anyway.

They also improved the stealth. Some of the mobs are real slow to spot you while the robot type enemies are faster. But when you start shooting people it isn't like every other Bethesda shitshow where they stand around doing nothing or at best comment is someone out there as all their friends die in spectacular fashion around them. The mobs reason your position out, start firing at it "blind", take appropriate cover and even try to flank. And when you move to another spot they continue to fire on the old one. Its not ubisoft polished but it doesn't feel like abusing the retard ai anymore

Goofballs has a new favorite as of 06:06 on Nov 29, 2015

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I really love this skip thing. I'm siding with The Institute and I went to the railroad hideout. Desdemona started giving a speech about how bad The Institute is and how we have to kill themand my character just went rear end. HOLE. I don't know if that's intentional or a coincidence but it is hilarious.

Haha just did another skip with her and my character says mockingly, "miss high and mighty..."

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!

Anatharon posted:

Killer7 is one of the best games ever.

Yes, I agree. One of my favourite little things is how the weird speech the NPCs use is just filtered and/or distorted English, since they spoke clearly (if not correctly) in English in the original version.

http://youtu.be/WkM57JcactU?t=234

Bertram Weatherby has a new favorite as of 08:08 on Nov 29, 2015

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

And Travis talks with that same text-to-speech whispering that introduced all of the bosses in the first No More Heroes. Neat.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I liked Killer is Dead but it got a bit of flak for billing itself as a Suda51 game when he didn't actually work on it beside giving some story ideas, and whether it was them copying Killer7 or their own thing it has animated cutscenes for some missions too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zysgw72RwzE&t=1367s

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

When you get into a vehicle in Star Wars Battlefront, it doesn't just fade to black or flash darkness for a second or instantly transport you.

Instead, it does a left-to-right screen wipe.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

Babe Magnet posted:

I have a shotgun with exploding bullets, I just point it in a direction and everything tends to die. Who has time to aim?

yeah, got one of those, maxed it out with mods. I can kill even legendary alpha deathclaws now, with basically zero effort.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I like how Snake just can't open the box and get his new gear, he has to get INTO the box and burst out of it wearing the new stuff.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

So. Neko Atsume is a phone game based around being a crazy cat lady. You buy furniture and food to attract cats to your yard, and the cats give you a little bit of the game's currency in thanks for letting them play with the toys, sleep in catbedd, etc.

It's also got some of the most realistic cat behavior I've ever seen. Of course the cats just chill out with their assholes pointed at you. That's what real cats do.

And then there's this Fucker. He's named Bolt, but I have renamed him Fucker. I had just spent about 5 bucks on this game's premium currency to expand my yard, change its style, and get some nice new things for it.

So naturally, Fucker sits in the lone loving cardboard box.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Alteisen posted:

I like how Snake just can't open the box and get his new gear, he has to get INTO the box and burst out of it wearing the new stuff.

:hfive: Yeah that's awesome - unless you're in a boss fight and in a hurry and it's just "DAMMIT SNAKE JUST PICK IT UP gently caress"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

death .cab for qt posted:

So. Neko Atsume is a phone game based around being a crazy cat lady. You buy furniture and food to attract cats to your yard, and the cats give you a little bit of the game's currency in thanks for letting them play with the toys, sleep in catbedd, etc.

It's also got some of the most realistic cat behavior I've ever seen. Of course the cats just chill out with their assholes pointed at you. That's what real cats do.

And then there's this Fucker. He's named Bolt, but I have renamed him Fucker. I had just spent about 5 bucks on this game's premium currency to expand my yard, change its style, and get some nice new things for it.

Yep, that's realistic cat behavior alright. :haw:

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!
I just noticed that in the Japanese audio of the Doublethink tape in MGS5, Boss calls Ocelot "Junior" (since he's The Boss' son). It was a nice touch.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

death .cab for qt posted:

That tiny cardboard box is one of my favorite items.

Try the glass vase if you haven't already.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

graybook posted:

That tiny cardboard box is one of my favorite items.

Try the glass vase if you haven't already.

I like the wicker goatse basket at the bottom.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Super Smash Bros 4: In the credits scene you need to fill in a picture by hitting a credit when the credit is over a blank spot in the picture. If you get 99.99% it just gives you 100% :3:

More games need to do that.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Thin Privilege posted:

FO4 I love how you can see the little Fatman nuke coming straight for your face before you die :allears:

This is how I learned that mobs will pick up better weapons that their friends drop.

I had to clear out an outpost full of raiders once. It was being led by a guy in power armor with a fat man. I had a gauss rifle so I crouched down and blasted his head off. This alerted his buddies which I couldn't see at the moment because I was on a hill.

I repositioned myself and set up to take another shot, only to see a mini-nuke growing steadily larger in my scope.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

bewilderment posted:

When you get into a vehicle in Star Wars Battlefront, it doesn't just fade to black or flash darkness for a second or instantly transport you.

Instead, it does a left-to-right screen wipe.
I must say I really enjoy Battlefront for all the little audio-visual touches it contains. Blasters, explosions, effects sounding exactly like in the movies but the bigger deal are the locations which just feel like interactive Star Wars. That side of the game is pretty mind-blowing to me.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
I like in FO4 that some of the named raiders know of other raider groups, and will mention their demise in their terminal journals.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe

RaspberryCommie posted:

This is how I learned that mobs will pick up better weapons that their friends drop.

I had to clear out an outpost full of raiders once. It was being led by a guy in power armor with a fat man. I had a gauss rifle so I crouched down and blasted his head off. This alerted his buddies which I couldn't see at the moment because I was on a hill.

I repositioned myself and set up to take another shot, only to see a mini-nuke growing steadily larger in my scope.

I kept laughing as every approach of mine failed. I'd try a new position and weapon, take a shot and then hear the whistle! I had the misfortune of both him and a legendary raider at the same locale.
I'm mostly melee, so I tried running in and I'd disarm him, and the other rear end in a top hat would grab the fatman and shoot it point blank.

I finally decided to port to the nearest settlement, upgrade it to carry artillery, and just shelled them from a distance. The first round that came in caused him to yell "gently caress!" and he started popping off nukes in random directions. What an awesome fight!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Syrian Lannister posted:

I like in FO4 that some of the named raiders know of other raider groups, and will mention their demise in their terminal journals.

I've had some chatter like them warning the others that I'm probably using a stealth boy (I was), and their taunts seem based on how much damage they've done. After taking a few dozen rounds that I survived through copious use of drugs they just started screaming about what it would take to just kill me already.

El Diablo Bob O
Sep 3, 2011

Hay nada mas,
Oh si' my way!

TontoCorazon posted:

I had a jihadist super mutant trying to close the distance between us, felt like a total bad rear end when I caught him with a sick nasty head shot and his body goes limp and face plants.

I know it's been said but the death animations are pretty great.

I was on my way to get Strong and this happens.

The ragdoll death does work in certain situations.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

Bertram Weatherby posted:

I just noticed that in the Japanese audio of the Doublethink tape in MGS5, Boss calls Ocelot "Junior" (since he's The Boss' son). It was a nice touch.

Couldn't tell you 100%, but I'm pretty sure, going with the 1984 theme, it's "Julia."

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!

Thinky Whale posted:

Couldn't tell you 100%, but I'm pretty sure, going with the 1984 theme, it's "Julia."

http://i.imgur.com/oerCIFi.jpg

ザ・ボスの息子(ジュニア) = Son of The Boss (Junior)

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

Bertram Weatherby posted:

http://i.imgur.com/oerCIFi.jpg

ザ・ボスの息子(ジュニア) = Son of The Boss (Junior)

Woah, dang! I've had that completely wrong. Mind blown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
More Resident Evil 6 stuff: Jake Muller's campaign is full of terrible design decisions, but his hand-to-hand combat is not one of them. Many of his moves are slower versions of the moves used by Albert Wesker in RE5, and are hilariously effective as a result. The basic charge attack will not only knock a targeted J'avo out from cover, it can chain to 2 other targets and will knock them down. And melee attacks often flinch/stun/knockdown highly mutated J'avo to boot.

The only time I use a gun is to shoot the Snake Emblems or if there's enemies that I cannot physically reach. I charge in, knock everyone to the floor, and my partner cleans up with the cattle prod (instant kill on a downed enemy). Teamwork!