Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Can anyone with a 32gb 5x let us know how much working storage they have after the baseline OS install and default apps? I am thinking of grabbing one during this sale.

Optimus Subprime fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Nov 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Optimus Subprime posted:

Can anyone with a 32gb 5x let us know how much working storage they have after the baseline OS install and default apps? I am thinking of grabbing one during this sale.

My wifes replacement 5x (purchased hers two weeks ago, needed to buy another to take advantage of the price drop) is arriving today. Will try to take a look at it if I can grab it before she does.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
The issue with USB-C cables being lovely only applies to A-to-C cables, not C-to-C, correct? I need a 6ft C-to-C cable and the pickings are slim so far, it will be worse if I need to check if they might blow up my house.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Optimus Subprime posted:

User partition is 24.9GB, about a gig of which is used out of the box I think.

Require More Fire posted:

The issue with USB-C cables being lovely only applies to A-to-C cables, not C-to-C, correct?

Correct.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

SouthLAnd posted:

The Turbo 2 is awesome. It's a Moto X Pure Edition on steroids. The 6p probably has it beat in the camera department though, especially in low light. I don't know how much of a time difference there will be on Verizon for major Android updates. I was under the impression that Motorola's are still close to Nexus devices for updates, but I guess that's carrier dependent.

well if the Turbo 2 is remotely similar to the Turbo 1 w/r/t updates it will take 8-9 months to see anything

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

this_is_hard posted:

well if the Turbo 2 is remotely similar to the Turbo 1 w/r/t updates it will take 8-9 months to see anything

I love my Turbo but the lag time for updates is not ideal.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Plus Motorola's done some weird stuff lately, like (possibly) indicating they won't even be upgrading the carrier variants of the 2014 X to Marshmallow. Yes I'm mad about it.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

hooah posted:

Plus Motorola's done some weird stuff lately, like (possibly) indicating they won't even be upgrading the carrier variants of the 2014 X to Marshmallow. Yes I'm mad about it.

Let this serve as a warning to the unwitting buyer who might consider a carrier variant of any phone.

(Assuming you care about such things as operating system upgrades)

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

hooah posted:

Motorola announced they are upgrading the Turbo 1 to Marshmellow. The question is more when it gets it. I would assume Verizon wants them to support their carrier exclusive phone for at least 2 years.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Require More Fire posted:

The issue with USB-C cables being lovely only applies to A-to-C cables, not C-to-C, correct? I need a 6ft C-to-C cable and the pickings are slim so far, it will be worse if I need to check if they might blow up my house.
Worth noting that the one on the Google Store is that length and seems decent quality.

Deadlink
Aug 18, 2003
Va Va Voom bought me this account, what a fine gentlemen he is
I got a 2nd gen Moto G, now I am looking at the 3rd gen Moto G.
the plan would be to hand over the 2014 version to my girlfriend (who has a bad habit of dropping her phone. it's a Samsung though, so thats ok), so that we both have a phone that is at least ok at making baby photos and videos once said baby is upon us.

so my question is this: is the 2015 a solid idea? the 2GB ram version is pretty much the most I can justify spending on a phone right now (260€, in germany btw).
on top of that, I was wondering if there is any dual sim phone around that I missed. I was looking at the ZenFone 2, but that ends up being more than 100€ pricier, so screw that.

edit: cheers, was already looking at amazon.it. I don't have a credit card and I asked a friend to help me out for the moto maker (the 16gb version isn't available outside of the moto maker in germany), but I'm not sure if she is willing to use her CC on a foreign site, because crazy internet terrorists or something ;)

Deadlink fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 30, 2015

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Deadlink posted:

the plan would be to hand over the 2014 version to my girlfriend (who has a bad habit of dropping her phone. it's a Samsung though, so thats ok), so that we both have a phone that is at least ok at making baby photos and videos once said baby is upon us.

so my question is this: is the 2015 a solid idea? the 2GB ram version is pretty much the most I can justify spending on a phone right now (260€, in germany btw).
on top of that, I was wondering if there is any dual sim phone around that I missed. I was looking at the ZenFone 2, but that ends up being more than 100€ pricier, so screw that.

Order it from Amazon.fr
Last I checked the 2GB version is 230€.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Never used Messenger before, but I literally can't get any MMS' if I use it. It will just show "downloading" and never come through. Go SMS works fine, if I use that. I'd RATHER use Messenger though... I've verified my APN settings and the fact that it works fine on other apps makes me think it's a Google issue. My carrier is Cricket, maybe it's MVNO status causes some conflict?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Captain Yossarian posted:

Never used Messenger before, but I literally can't get any MMS' if I use it. It will just show "downloading" and never come through. Go SMS works fine, if I use that. I'd RATHER use Messenger though... I've verified my APN settings and the fact that it works fine on other apps makes me think it's a Google issue. My carrier is Cricket, maybe it's MVNO status causes some conflict?

Had this issue on Cricket with Messenger across several phones, never got it working. Had to switch to Textra (which I've grown to like anyways). Many people have had this exact issue, not sure if I've seen a resolution.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Lol OK thank you, I was thinking I had to be missing something obvious. Glad (is that the right word?) Its not just me

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I had the same issue with Messenger and Hangouts the other day, but it downloaded fine in Textra.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Question about USB-C Cables 2.0 vs 3.1 cables

USB-C 2.0 cables - http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030319&p_id=13009&seq=1&format=2
USB-C 3.1 cables - http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters...c+cable+matters

Why is it that the Monoprice USB-C 2.0 cables are sold as 2.0 but in the description it shows it is able to do "USB 3.1 SuperSpeed+ supports up to 10Gbps data rate". So what is the difference between the above two cables then?

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Tunga posted:

Worth noting that the one on the Google Store is that length and seems decent quality.

Goddammit, how did I miss that. I bought their 3ft A-to-C cable, it's very nice.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Busy Bee posted:

Why is it that the Monoprice USB-C 2.0 cables are sold as 2.0 but in the description it shows it is able to do "USB 3.1 SuperSpeed+ supports up to 10Gbps data rate". So what is the difference between the above two cables then?

I suspect the description is wrong - it appears to be the same cable that Google sells and that's only wired for USB 2.0 data. But it doesn't matter because that's all the 5X and 6P support anyway.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Deadlink posted:

edit: cheers, was already looking at amazon.it. I don't have a credit card and I asked a friend to help me out for the moto maker (the 16gb version isn't available outside of the moto maker in germany), but I'm not sure if she is willing to use her CC on a foreign site, because crazy internet terrorists or something ;)

I would feel really bad for your girlfriend tbh. I have a 2014 Moto G now and it's the biggest piece of poo poo android phone I've ever used. Can't use google maps and music together because they kick each other out of memory constantly. Can't stream music over bluetooth because it constantly sutters, pops, pauses and unpauses itself. Performance is abysmal.

E: seriously don't give your gf that phone or she'll probably leave you

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 30, 2015

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
My mum has had none of those issues with her 2014 G - actually seems to perform more consistently than my G3

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Speaking of Motorola and OS upgrade footdragging, should I be concerned that my (unlocked) Nexus 6 hasn't gotten the Marshmallow update yet, or is it just taking this long? (I have gotten previous OTA updates, including a security patch of some description like two weeks ago.)

I suppose I could find the image and do it myself, but :effort:

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

I have this issue with Messenger, but only if I'm connected to WiFi. If I'm on LTE they come through fine. I'm on LTE pretty much all the time so it's no big deal to me, but it is weird.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

docbeard posted:

Speaking of Motorola and OS upgrade footdragging, should I be concerned that my (unlocked) Nexus 6 hasn't gotten the Marshmallow update yet, or is it just taking this long? (I have gotten previous OTA updates, including a security patch of some description like two weeks ago.)

My unlocked nexus 6 has marshmallow, but it came from a goon with it already on there...

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

The rear end Stooge posted:

I have this issue with Messenger, but only if I'm connected to WiFi. If I'm on LTE they come through fine. I'm on LTE pretty much all the time so it's no big deal to me, but it is weird.

I think it HAS to be Cricket related as the other poster was thinking... I'm almost always lte FWIW

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

I think it HAS to be Cricket related as the other poster was thinking... I'm almost always lte FWIW

Forgot to mention I'm also on Cricket.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I also encounter this issue, on cricket. I wish MMS would just die already so I could port to GV and just hangouts. I get added to too many group texts for work to do it now.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Yeah, cricket hosed up the way they handle their MMS proxies and I guess they still didn't fix it yet. I posted about it with a link to a detailed explanation I found a few weeks ago in the prepaid thread.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
My 5x arrived today. I haven't done much with it yet but I like it so far.

One thing though. Why is the analogue clock not centered and how do I fix this? It's the official "Clock" app and not some third party thing I installed isn't it?

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

xcore posted:

My 5x arrived today. I haven't done much with it yet but I like it so far.

One thing though. Why is the analogue clock not centered and how do I fix this? It's the official "Clock" app and not some third party thing I installed isn't it?

Long press, widen it

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

nocal posted:

Long press, widen it

This works for the digital clock (although it only widens the invisible box, not the actual numbers) but not the analogue clock.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

docbeard posted:

We had this conversation a while back. Carriers can hold up OTAs for updates and it does so based on what SIM is in the device. If I remember correctly, AT&T hasn't approved the Marshmallow OTA which is why there's a November security update for Lollipop.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

xcore posted:

This works for the digital clock (although it only widens the invisible box, not the actual numbers) but not the analogue clock.

Download another clock. You should have at least three, one of which must be off by at least a minute.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

xcore posted:

Why is the analogue clock not centered
Because it's a 2x2 item on a 5 wide grid.

xcore posted:

and how do I fix this?
Different clock.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Probably should have checked before ordering it but is the Z5 Compact still the phone to go for when you want the smallest phone with a good camera, battery life, and bells and whistles?

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.

ijyt posted:

Probably should have checked before ordering it but is the Z5 Compact still the phone to go for when you want the smallest phone with a good camera, battery life, and bells and whistles?

I'd say yes. It's only potential issues could be the SD 810 getting too warm (as every 810 device) and I've been hearing that the camera app is not the fastest out there. Once you get it, could you please post a 3 or 4-line review? It'd be helpful!

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

OK can I get some recommendations or advice or whatnot, since I am incapable of making decisions on my own?

I've got an Xperia z1 at the moment, chosen primarily because I love a great battery life, camera and am uncoordinated so being waterproof was a great thing. All have turned out to be awesome, and I've been super happy with my choice.

Now my contract is almost up, I'm weighing up my choices. The z5 is an obvious choice. The z5P is too, mostly because I play a lot of ps4 and the remote play would be great (I love my wiiu and my wife watches a lot of reality TV). The 6p looks good, as does the edge+.

Help!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

LastInLine posted:

We had this conversation a while back. Carriers can hold up OTAs for updates and it does so based on what SIM is in the device. If I remember correctly, AT&T hasn't approved the Marshmallow OTA which is why there's a November security update for Lollipop.

Ah okay, so even if my phone isn't branded T Mobile, if I have their SIM, that'd hold it up? Makes sense.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.

iajanus posted:

OK can I get some recommendations or advice or whatnot, since I am incapable of making decisions on my own?

I've got an Xperia z1 at the moment, chosen primarily because I love a great battery life, camera and am uncoordinated so being waterproof was a great thing. All have turned out to be awesome, and I've been super happy with my choice.

Now my contract is almost up, I'm weighing up my choices. The z5 is an obvious choice. The z5P is too, mostly because I play a lot of ps4 and the remote play would be great (I love my wiiu and my wife watches a lot of reality TV). The 6p looks good, as does the edge+.

Help!

I'd go for either the Z5 or the 6p.

Z5: Good battery life, integration with Ps4. Software layer toned down and more similar to stock Android than previous Sony phones.
6p: Stock android, cheaper if you're in the US. Very solid phone.

I wouldn't recommend the Z5P. If the reason for considering it is the PS4 integration the normal Z5 has this as well, and the PS4 doesn't output 4K so you're not going to use this (not like you could tell the differente between qhd and 4k anyways).

Edge+ is not a bad choice but note Samsung's problems with Touchwiz, poor battery life and ram management.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

docbeard posted:

Ah okay, so even if my phone isn't branded T Mobile, if I have their SIM, that'd hold it up? Makes sense.

It can. I think T-Mobile had the OTA available for a while and then not? I'll admit to not following N6 releases too well.

The thing is that on Lollipop, T-Mo had its own build (to account for wifi calling) so finding the right OTA now might be a bitch. Assuming your bootloader is unlocked you might want to use fastboot and factory images to flash your way up to current (shouldn't be a need to wipe if you flash each component separately). If your bootloader is still locked, you could look for the OTA chain to get you where you need to be using the stock recovery.