Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
I found that incredibly annoying in both the way it crammed the reference down your throat and broke up the pacing of the video/conversation. Somebody saying dunkaroos doesn't deserve a twenty second diversion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I really wish FFX didn't get such a weird bum rap.

Like everybody will hone in on the forced laughing scene, Tidus being whiny even when he deserves to be, the ending being what it is and all that stuff but honestly I enjoyed it more than most FF. At least in a lot of places I apparently have controversial opinions in that I liked X, X-2 and XII as some of my favorites. :shrug:

(Although with XII I do wish they had stuck with the original idea to make Basch the protag)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Yardbomb posted:

Like everybody will hone in on the forced laughing scene, Tidus being whiny even when he deserves to be, the ending being what it is and all that stuff but honestly I enjoyed it more than most FF. At least in a lot of places I apparently have controversial opinions in that I liked X, X-2 and XII as some of my favorites. :shrug:

I like FFX but it is really loving dumb.

It is however very good to laugh at so the LP should be great.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Yardbomb posted:

(Although with XII I do wish they had stuck with the original idea to make Basch the protag)

The thing I never got about people pointing out how bad that scene was is that it was supposed to sound like forced laughter. Like, that was the whole point of the scene.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Also everyone (including Matt) making GBS threads on Tidus's voice actor, when he has like a billion roles and he's perfectly fine in them.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
James Arnold Taylor is one of the better actors in that game and yeah, he's a really good voice actor and sounds a lot better in stuff like Dissidia

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

turns out everyone in that game sounds bad because it's an early 2000's anime dub

the dub for X-2 is a ridiculous improvement

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Final Fantasy X may have a dumb story at times but it is actually fun to play? Like the combat is super good and most of the bosses are challenging with interesting mechanics. Allowing you to see the turn order helps a lot when you are doing fights in that game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Matt shits on James Arnold Taylor? That sucks.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Help I found a copy of hyper dimension neptunia in my brothers Vita. What should I do?

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

cmykjester posted:

Help I found a copy of hyper dimension neptunia in my brothers Vita. What should I do?

His existence is punishment enough

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

cmykjester posted:

:sever:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

cmykjester posted:

Replace it with a quality Japanese import

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

FFX is a god drat terrible game and X-2 is even worse, but it's true that a lot of the common things people point to aren't necessarily actually faults (laughing scene, for example) or unique to it (the voice acting in general).

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

cmykjester posted:

Enjoy it together through brotherly love.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Captain Invictus posted:

Wait, it just showed up now. Weird

edit: MATT YOU gently caress meet our protagonist, MEG RYAN now I'll never be able to not see that

Haha, did you watch Spoony's review of this, Matt?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Rodyle posted:

FFX is a god drat terrible game and X-2 is even worse

How so though, I mean even the people that usually griped because X-2 was pretty princess dressup usually agreed the game part is actually really good.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

How so though, I mean even the people that usually griped because X-2 was pretty princess dressup usually agreed the game part is actually really good.

I mean A: I would say a terrible story and characters make pretty much any long jrpg not worth bothering with mechanics be damned B: it has the same obsession with obscure secrets and lovely minigames that X did C: the return to ATB from a true turn based system doesn't work very well, animation cycles stack on top of each other and can make the AI behave very strangely

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

The Boss. The CEO. The J-Cup Lover.

Charles Martel posted:

Haha, did you watch Spoony's review of this, Matt?

I saw his review of VIII. He did FFX?

If you're talking about the Meg Ryan thing, there was some website that had a million images of video game characters and celebrities they looked like, and that was at the top of the list.

Going back to FFX, I actually enjoy playing the game alot, except for the cloister of trials dungeons and how frustrating/stupid Blitzball is. Those puzzles are so incredibly unfun to do. Just horribly paced trial and error bullshit. It's the one thing I reallllly dislike about the game. The wacky story, bad voice acting and stupid plot twists are all fine for me. As for Tidus's voice actor, I honestly have no idea what stand out roles he's played. I'm sure he's fine as time goes on, but we're playing FFX right now, not a retrospective career analysis of him. And he's terrible in this game.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
FFX's voice-acting in general is not stellar and it says a lot that James Arnold Taylor is one of the more standout roles because he's got goofy delivery in a lot of that game. X's a fun game though, I don't particularly care for a lot of the stuff you didn't like as well and appreciated X-2's style more in several different ways it even has good voice acting.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

TheRealestMatt posted:

I saw his review of VIII. He did FFX?

If you're talking about the Meg Ryan thing, there was some website that had a million images of video game characters and celebrities they looked like, and that was at the top of the list.

Going back to FFX, I actually enjoy playing the game alot, except for the cloister of trials dungeons and how frustrating/stupid Blitzball is. Those puzzles are so incredibly unfun to do. Just horribly paced trial and error bullshit. It's the one thing I reallllly dislike about the game. The wacky story, bad voice acting and stupid plot twists are all fine for me. As for Tidus's voice actor, I honestly have no idea what stand out roles he's played. I'm sure he's fine as time goes on, but we're playing FFX right now, not a retrospective career analysis of him. And he's terrible in this game.

He certainly did, along with X-2 and XIII. He makes a Meg Ryan reference near the start of his review and I believe even named Titus that as well. He goes a bit over-the-top with hating Titus, but it's worth a watch to hear him rant about Blitzball and the minigames.

He hated XIII so much, he literally starts the review off issuing an apology for everything he said about VIII, if that tickles your fancy as well.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I think FFX's voice-acting is fine, especially for the time. People react and talk accordingly to the scene which is more than what I can say for even modern games at times. Tidus's performance is fine, his script however is mediocre to bad at times and that's a big difference. Nolan North and Troy Baker ain't saving that script either.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

I'm a sucker for dumb minigames and enjoyed blitzball more than anyone probably should.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Tidus is supposed to be a whiny, annoying character, and that comes across perfectly. The performance is fine, but the directing is shoddy and evident of the time in which it was done. The frequency of characters randomly saying lines at 1.5-2x speed so they can match the lip flaps is way higher than it should be, but for some reason Tidus does it the most.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Tidus does it most because in Japanese he speaks in short bursts of dialogue so it's hard to convey that in English in the year 2000 without it sounding awkward as hell. That is no longer an issue in the year of our lord, 2015.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Baal posted:

Tidus does it most because in Japanese he speaks in short bursts of dialogue so it's hard to convey that in English in the year 2000 without it sounding awkward as hell. That is no longer an issue in the year of our lord, 2015.

Yeah S-E didn't figure out easy lip-flap changing technology till Kingdom Hearts

it would have been really interesting if they had redubbed this game for the HD release

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Give me FF9 or give me death.

Or an FF7 update at PSX, that would also be nice.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Blitzball is cool because you can get a 1 point lead and hide in your own goal for the rest of the game.

Final Fantasy X also has that weird thing where you can tell actors are talking too fast or too slow in order to try to match with the lip flaps which doesn't help its VO. I wonder how much extra stuff Matt is willing to put himself through, there's a lot of extra side quests that can make your party ridiculously strong if he wanted. This is probably like months away at this point though.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

cmykjester posted:

Blitzball is cool because you can get a 1 point lead and hide in your own goal for the rest of the game.

Final Fantasy X also has that weird thing where you can tell actors are talking too fast or too slow in order to try to match with the lip flaps which doesn't help its VO. I wonder how much extra stuff Matt is willing to put himself through, there's a lot of extra side quests that can make your party ridiculously strong if he wanted. This is probably like months away at this point though.

Time to dodge 200 lightning bolts :suicide:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Matt is not and should not ever touch the extra poo poo that isn't Beglemine and Anima because that game gets much worse when your only options are the loving mini games. Also if this is the HD Version he can do an entire episode where he just Zanmatos all the extra bosses.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Baal posted:

Matt is not and should not ever touch the extra poo poo that isn't Beglemine and Anima because that game gets much worse when your only options are the loving mini games. Also if this is the HD Version he can do an entire episode where he just Zanmatos all the extra bosses.

counterpoint i wanna see matt dodge the lightning feel the stooooorm

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
has anyone mentioned to matt he's getting ancestor/descendant confused in the devil's third video text

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

It's time for Pat to abandon his hero Jim Sterling. He called Xenoblade X's soundtrack the best in the world.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Didn't they somehow make Blitzball worse in X-2?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Rhonne posted:

Didn't they somehow make Blitzball worse in X-2?

No. You might be confusing it with the new minigame in X-2 which involves math puzzles

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Blockhouse posted:

No. You might be confusing it with the new minigame in X-2 which involves math puzzles

Really fun math puzzles but I can undertand why people give it poo poo. X-2 turned Blitzball into focusing more on the management sim side of it, which means it was very popular in Europe but no one in NA gave two shits.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I also don't remember if the blitzball management was needed for 100% completion but winning one of those math tournaments definitely was

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

I also don't remember if the blitzball management was needed for 100% completion but winning one of those math tournaments definitely was

Only crazy or stupid people try do 100% completion in that game.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's not that hard just tedious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tae posted:

Matt shits on James Arnold Taylor? That sucks.

Dude that guy voices Johnny Test. It's fine.