Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I drink a lot of water when drinking likker and it makes all the difference.

I've never understood why the alcohol delivery mechanism affected how drink one got or how badly hungover. Please can someone explain why wine alcohol affects me differently to beer alcohol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
...it's almost as though liquor, wine and beer affect people differently based on sugar content, hydration, tolerance, how much food they ate, digestion, ABV of their beverages, mood, size, weight, how fast they drank, etc. SO CRAAAAAAAZY!!!

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I can drink gin and tonics all day long. I also regularly do 5+ shots of tequila within the span of an hour and been good. 2 shots of tequila and 1 gin and tonic wrapped me around a toilet while my friends weren't looking (and then later couldn't find me cause I was hiding in a stall).

So yeah, at least in some people, never ever mix.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

...it's almost as though liquor, wine and beer affect people differently based on sugar content, hydration, tolerance, how much food they ate, digestion, ABV of their beverages, mood, size, weight, how fast they drank, etc. SO CRAAAAAAAZY!!!

How does mixing them affect hangovers?

Apparently it doesn't, at least not because anything intrinsic in the mixing per se:
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20140428-does-wine-beer-huge-hangover

http://theconversation.com/mondays-medical-myth-mixing-drinks-causes-hangovers-5055

http://www.diffordsguide.com/encyclopedia/2014-09-18/530/bws/does-mixing-drinks-cause-a-worse-hangover

First three google results.

Having reread my post, yes, of course different alcohols affect people differently. But what I never understood (or accepted) was that mixing drinks somehow magically led to a worse hangover, like there was some kind of negative synergy to mixing that made a hangover worse.

therattle fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Nov 30, 2015

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
I'm thinking it's at least partway anecdotal but also uncomparable samples. On nights where I've been drinking beer, wine, mixed drinks, shots, etc, odds are I've been drinking in a much less, umm, let's say controlled manner than when enjoying a few good bottles of wine.

That night when someone suggested Tequila slammers to follow our beer and whisky adventure, you know, the one where I woke up in the backseat of a bus that had been depot'ed, wearing someone else's shirt, a McDonalds cap (also not mine) and with the name "Susanne" written in permanent marker all over my arms and neck, feeling like my head and intestines had had an unfortunate liaison with a heavy-duty excavator?

That night when I polished off a bottle and a half of good tequila with a good friend? We weren't slamming them back, we were drinking sedately and enjoying the process. We still got slobbering-I-love-you-man-no-really-I-love-you-drunk, but, yeah, the hangover was not one you had to use the Richter scale to measure.

Comparable as far as amount of alcohol intake, I'm sure. Not comparable samples when factoring in everything else.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
No magic synergy, but more in the not managing things in terms of overall ABV and absorption rates or in terms of mixers. I always feel 1000x worse when I don't eat, or some shots sneak up on me an hour later or I drink a lot of sugary mixers.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I've never been presented with a satisfactory mechanism that would explain how the interaction between impurities in different alcoholic beverages can intensify your bad experience at the end. It's like Dane said – to mix 3 or 4 different alcohols, you have to have at least 3 or 4 drinks. It's only possible to truly drink moderately if you only have one or, at most two different sorts of beverages. Spread all these experiences over a population of people and you're more likely to get worse hangovers when you're mixing alcohols and less likely when you're not.

But since nothing compares with the power of stupid idiosyncratic anecdote when it comes to discussing booze culture, I'll add that all my wickedest hangovers come when I've made a massive bowl of punch and a few too few people show up to join me, because I almost immediately lose track of how much I've had to drink and I feel compelled to try and finish the bowl.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Mixing drinks doesn't gently caress me. Its total number of drinks. Its why I stay away from beers above 7%. If Im in a beer drinking mood Ill have 4 or 5 of those fuckers. And at 9%+ Ill get just drunk enough that drunk spoon thinks a gin martini and a tequila shot sounds righteous.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

A couple things that will significantly worsen your hangover that are dependent upon the types of alcohol drunk:

1. Sulfites in red wine. If you're drinking wines with a higher sulfite content (no clue of the concentrations for this) they can make things feel worse.

2. Certain liquors will have a higher concentration of ethyl acetate in them. This is a co-distillate with ethanol in the distillation process and the "heads" heavy spirits will contain more and can cause a more severe hangover.

Hydration and eating will help with all of these, but these are things in different types of booze that can worsen effects. No real evidence that I can see for why mixing types of drinks will make things any worse though. Probably has more to do with getting a buzz on something you wanted to drink, then ending up drinking a lot more of something you probably wouldn't have been drinking otherwise.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Sulfites in red wine are a non issue barring extreme disorders necessitating extreme dietary restrictions. Just as a comparison, a single dried fruit has like 3 or 4 bottles worth of sulfites in it. Sulfite headaches are actually unproven medically, and less than 1% of the population suffer from an allergy to it. Also red wines have fewer sulfites than whites, on average.

Consider this myth, busted.

Secret Spoon fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Nov 30, 2015

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I get angry when people tell me that tequila makes them angry.

Tequila isn't some magical rage juice, you're just a lovely drunk.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I get angry when I drink lovely tequila.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I have no evidence one way or the other beyond anecdotes, but I've always thought the "don't mix drinks" claim was a post hoc rationalization of drinking too much, and a separate group who's heard the claim a lot and internalized it as truth.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Drink and Fight posted:

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Teeter posted:

I get angry when people tell me that tequila makes them angry.

Tequila isn't some magical rage juice, you're just a lovely drunk.

Drink and Fight posted:

These posts contradict each other. All tequila is lovely and is therefore rage juice.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Marta Velasquez posted:

These posts contradict each other. All tequila is lovely and is therefore rage juice.

You probably shouldn't talk about things you're so wrong about.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

bartolimu posted:

You probably shouldn't talk about things you're so wrong about.

I guess Cafe Patron isn't too bad. :shrug:

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Marta Velasquez posted:

Marta Velasquez posted:

You are a bad person with bad opinions.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Secret Spoon posted:

Sulfites in red wine are a non issue barring extreme disorders necessitating extreme dietary restrictions. Just as a comparison, a single dried fruit has like 3 or 4 bottles worth of sulfites in it. Sulfite headaches are actually unproven medically, and less than 1% of the population suffer from an allergy to it. Also red wines have fewer sulfites than whites, on average.

Consider this myth, busted.

Really?

*pubmedding furiously*

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Marta Velasquez posted:

:barf:

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Marta Velasquez posted:

MODS

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

That Works posted:

Really?

*pubmedding furiously*

It might be a sensitivity to tannin's, but its most likely dehydration as well as the fact that all alcohol should, in large quantities of consumption, hurt a bit the next day. If it is same day, chances are you are also consuming sugary stuff alongside it. But for real, if you had a tannin sensitivity, you would probably have had an idea about it before you ever drank alcohol.

Tequila and Mezcal rule. I hope you can find someone to help you get a good bottle so you aren't drinking the "gold" swill sold here in america.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Marta Velasquez posted:

Enlighten yourself.

Yes, I know it's not technically "tequila", but shut up! :ese:

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

You are a bad person with bad opinions.

:cheeky:

Captain Bravo posted:

Enlighten yourself.

Yes, I know it's not technically "tequila", but shut up! :ese:

I'll try this. My wife isn't much of a drinker, but she does like tequila. If I don't like it, at least it won't be completely wasted.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
I get more hungover when I drink mixed drinks, than if I drink wine or beers, I believe this to be the case because I tend to get sated on beer, to such an extend that I not only am drunk, but also full, and the fullness prevents me from drinking too much. I've never gone above 20 beers in one sitting, while I have been above 5 bottles of wine.

Also - when I had my gallbladder infection, I couldn't drink half a bottle of red without puking my guts out.

My wife is convinced that she feels better when drinking white than red - this is fine by me.

Also - chartreuse is the devils semen,it will induce dementia.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
SubG, FGR and SteveYun want to know /why/ champagne bubbles are the way they are vs why soda bubbles are the way they are.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

dino. posted:

SubG, FGR and SteveYun want to know /why/ champagne bubbles are the way they are vs why soda bubbles are the way they are.

Ones caused by fermentation the other by a machine.

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

Happy Hat posted:

I've never gone above 20 beers in one sitting, while I have been above 5 bottles of wine.

Uh, and here I thought that I drank a lot :stare:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Secret Spoon posted:

Ones caused by fermentation the other by a machine.

I call BS on this. There is no "type" of carbonation. It probably has more to do with residual sugars and possible surfactants affecting the gas bubble formation than whether one is "natural" and the other "artificial".

edit:

quote:

Other beverages that are supersaturated with CO2, such as soda water and beer, differ in their characteristics with respect to median size and ascent velocity of CO2 bubbles (Fig. 6). The differences can be seen at a glance between seltzer (Fig. 6a), champagne (Fig. 6b), and beer (Fig. 6c). Bubbles rise fastest (and are largest) in pure mineral water. Champagne contains natural surfactants that accumulate at interfaces between CO2 and the beverage, and thus — despite the higher pressure — retard diffusion of CO2 into the rising bubbles, and thus their growth. Champagne bubbles grow at ca. 350 – 400 μm/s at 20 °C (68 °F). Beer contains especially large amounts of surfactant proteins and hops components, and the CO2 pressure is lower than in champagne, so CO2 bubbles in beer are especially small, and compared to champagne they ascend significantly more slowly (100 – 150 μm/s) [22].
http://www.chemistryviews.org/details/ezine/969415/Sparkling_Wine_Champagne__Co__Part_3.html
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/ed082p673

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Dec 1, 2015

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

It's widely stated among wine drinkers (and corroborated with a very significant sample size of my own experimentation) that the longer sparkling wine stays on the lees, the finer the bubbles become. This may be because the surfactants mentioned are byproducts of yeast autolysis, or that yeast breakdown slightly increases the viscosity of the liquid which has the effect of increasing the effectiveness of existing surfactants, or maybe a combination of the two. Or it might be a sensory illusion; human perception is both very suggestible and very prone to simple wrongness.

Either way I'd claim with reasonable confidence I can tell the difference between something produced via méthode champenoise vs. a batch-carbonated prosecco on perception of carbonation alone.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

bartolimu posted:

Either way I'd claim with reasonable confidence I can tell the difference between something produced via méthode champenoise vs. a batch-carbonated prosecco on perception of carbonation alone.

I do not totally understand the science behind it, but I am confident I can make this assessment.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Secret Spoon posted:

I do not totally understand the science behind it, but I am confident I can make this assessment.

I'll third this claim.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
It's pretty easy to taste, carbonic acid is fairly tart, that's why you have to adjust the sugar content of drinks you use it with... Force carbonation creates a different sort of bubble as well.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

guppy posted:

I have no evidence one way or the other beyond anecdotes, but I've always thought the "don't mix drinks" claim was a post hoc rationalization of drinking too much, and a separate group who's heard the claim a lot and internalized it as truth.

I regularly drink a shitload of wine - the same goddamn white wine day by day, week by week. It adds up to a lot of standard measures of alcohol. I never have a hangover beyond dehydration and being a bit groggy in the morning.

If I drink half the standard measures of alcohol I normally consume, but do it by shooting some rum, then tequila, then whiskey, then a beer, then a red wine - I feel completely and utterly destroyed the next day. I don't even get drunk or whatever - because I'm drinking no where near my normal level of consumption - but christ it kills me - throbbing headaches, nausea, the whole nine yards. I don't claim to have any explanation beyond experience, but I surely have a great deal of experience.

this also could be one of those things where it just affects different people differently because of genetics or whatever, but enough people in the world have the 'oh god don't mix liquors' stigma that I feel like it can't possibly just be me.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Dec 1, 2015

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

mindphlux posted:

I regularly drink a shitload of wine - the same goddamn white wine day by day, week by week. It adds up to a lot of standard measures of alcohol. I never have a hangover beyond dehydration and being a bit groggy in the morning.

If I drink half the standard measures of alcohol I normally consume, but do it by shooting some rum, then tequila, then whiskey, then a beer, then a red wine - I feel completely and utterly destroyed the next day. I don't even get drunk or whatever - because I'm drinking no where near my normal level of consumption - but christ it kills me - throbbing headaches, nausea, the whole nine yards. I don't claim to have any explanation beyond experience, but I surely have a great deal of experience.

this also could be one of those things where it just affects different people differently because of genetics or whatever, but enough people in the world have the 'oh god don't mix liquors' stigma that I feel like it can't possibly just be me.

Like I said, I have the same exact experience. It's happened enough times in a variety of situations that I'm pretty convinced for myself at least. My friends and I shoot a LOT of tequila when we go to this one bar which have super cheap top/middle shelf shots. And the times I've mixed gin and tonics in, I've taken way less shots (like 2) and only 1 gin and tonic. It's not amount of alcohol for me, and I'd like to think that I'm not stupid enough to fall for confounding factors given my degree in stats.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I woke up this morning to an open freezer door :(

the42ndtourist
Sep 6, 2004

A half-dead thing in the stark, dead world, clean mad for the muck called gold

mindphlux posted:

yeah, this. I'm 32, drink a ton regularly. just hydrate, and don't go from drinking a ton to drinking none - or drinking none to drinking a ton. build yourself up - and again, hydrate intensely if you decide to drink well outside your normal bounds. also don't mix liquors/wines/beers. I get a hangover maybe once every 3 months.

that's all really good advice - I completely agree and I actually have spent a xmas in Prague. It was very memorable and completely beautiful - but I think our path won't take us through praha this time. we're planning on doing like 4 nights in budapest, 2 in vienna, then going to this cool austrian "salzkammergut" salt mine valley area for xmas proper, then going to munich to catch a direct flight back to Atlanta to save a bit of cash.

This town - Hallstatt - was one of my favourite stops in my early-20s railpass wandering. Train stops across the lake and you take a ferry (like a little fishing boat, basically) across to the town, which is mostly two streets deep/high. Fantastically beautiful spot. Just be warned if you stay there - all the tourist buses leave by 5, at which point almost every restaurant/bar/shop in town closes and it's dead quiet.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I feel very strongly that red wine dehydrates me worst then anything else and cheap fizzy lager gives me worse heartburn. I believe that there is enough other stuff in wine and beer to effect one, especially as you could be drinking 60-80 ounces of the stuff in a night.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

bunnielab posted:

I feel very strongly that red wine dehydrates me worst then anything else and cheap fizzy lager gives me worse heartburn. I believe that there is enough other stuff in wine and beer to effect one, especially as you could be drinking 60-80 ounces of the stuff in a night.

Just gonna go back to that's the level of alcohol. Depending on the glass, you could be drinking something as high as 15% alcohol. With beer your drinking like 5-7% on average, which means you need to drink more, which can upset your stomach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
People need to drink less stuff high in sugar.

Also, someone gave my cheap good vodka a high rating, and now I can't find Monopolowa anywhere. loving vodka snobs, taking my cheap mixers.