Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
I get 18 days of pto and the usual holidays off. After five years they give you another week, ten years another and so on until fifteen years. It tops out at 33 days.

My boss doesn't count sick days if you only take one or two. He also encourages us to work from home if we're sick, but still able to function.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
When I was hired the rule was that there was no PTO bank. People could just take whatever time they wanted or needed with a supervisor's approval. Then a few months ago they changed the rule to 3 sick days and... no mention of PTO, vacation or personal time. They struck the whole section from the employee handbook. When I asked what the new policy was my boss said "We'll be getting that out to you all soon."

I don't take days off so it doesn't affect me but there are a lot of people (including department heads) wondering that they're supposed to be doing. On top of that for reasons no one can explain salaried staff have to fill out a timesheet each week.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

You should take days off.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

We get 4 weeks leave per year which is separate from the 120 hours we can take as sick/bereavement/family leave. If you are with the company for five years you get an additional week of annual leave.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

GreenNight posted:

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
At my place, everyone gets a month's worth of days off. Sick time isn't tracked. Work from home is encouraged.

It's pretty sweet.

You should take time off.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

GreenNight posted:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Health Experts Recommend Standing Up At Desk, Leaving Office, Never Coming Back

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

GreenNight posted:

DT especially.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
3 weeks worth of PTO, plus 9 holidays.

Not every company in the US is horribad.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

My company has decided that if we get a day off for a holiday (which means any holiday that US schools would take), we get that day off AND the day before. Unfortunately, I'm still a temp because they are holding off bringing me on full time until the next fiscal year, which means all those lovely days off are UNPAID for me. Everyone else gets paid holidays.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Dick Trauma posted:

Last week I could hear the office manager making arrangements for the Christmas party. The boss decided it should be at his house. In the front yard, because the back yard landscaping is too lumpy. There won't be any seating because he feels that will encourage people to mix. We won't be allowed in the house to use the bathrooms so there will be a couple of porta potties. And I got to overhear how everyone gets absolutely loaded.

So... I'll be skipping this one if I still work there in the middle of December.
Where do you live again? Unless you're in south Florida an outdoor party in Decemeber sounds like a horrible idea.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
2 weeks of paid sick/errand time and most major holidays paid off plus the week of Christmas. Since I work for a healthcare client, a whole week is unfeasible, so they gave us 3 out of 5 days as floaters. Nobody cares if you take vacation as long as you communicate ahead of time and there isn't a major project going on, which hasn't happened in years and likely won't for years longer.

This is a big reason why I'm holding out for a promotion instead of looking elsewhere.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Knormal posted:

Where do you live again? Unless you're in south Florida an outdoor party in Decemeber sounds like a horrible idea.

Los Angeles. Even here the middle of December is not when I want to spend a few hours standing around outside at night.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
This gentleman is so upset that his dialup service stopped working, and that no one was on the telephone for him to yell at on a Sunday night, that he is going to call an old CEO of a company that does not exist anymore, the attorney general, and the better business bureau. It is causing him great discomfort, and stress, and I think he needs to get rid of us as a service provider.

http://tindeck.com/listen/tswfo

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FireSight posted:

My company has decided that if we get a day off for a holiday (which means any holiday that US schools would take), we get that day off AND the day before. Unfortunately, I'm still a temp because they are holding off bringing me on full time until the next fiscal year, which means all those lovely days off are UNPAID for me. Everyone else gets paid holidays.

Let me tell you about being paid hourly as a contractor for a regular 40-hour-a-week job :shepicide:. Time off in any form is an expensive proposition. Pay's admittedly good, but I'd much rather something with benefits.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

anthonypants posted:

This gentleman is so upset that his dialup service stopped working, and that no one was on the telephone for him to yell at on a Sunday night, that he is going to call an old CEO of a company that does not exist anymore, the attorney general, and the better business bureau. It is causing him great discomfort, and stress, and I think he needs to get rid of us as a service provider.

http://tindeck.com/listen/tswfo

You could just hire 12 year olds to do this!

You're irresponsible!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dick Trauma posted:

Los Angeles. Even here the middle of December is not when I want to spend a few hours standing around outside at night.

Wait what the hell? I figured you were in some not-podunk-but-not-huge Midwestern metro area. How the hell do you keep ending up at such terrible companies in a major metro?

:smith:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I have been getting a ton of tickets where I need to uninstall Office 2010 and Lync 2013, then install 2013 click to run off of Office 365. I want to automate it. All of the computers have scripts disabled, though. Any ideas?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I have been getting a ton of tickets where I need to uninstall Office 2010 and Lync 2013, then install 2013 click to run off of Office 365. I want to automate it. All of the computers have scripts disabled, though. Any ideas?
When you say "scripts disabled" do you mean that you need to turn Set-ExecutionPolicy to Unrestricted, or that it's company policy to not use scripting, or what?

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
I would think that would all be doable with a batch file combined with using the setup.exe /admin Office Customization Tool.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Setexecutionpolicy is set to restricted.

Does that impact .bat files? I just remembered I ran a .bat off of Microsoft's technet to force uninstalling a leftover bit of antivirus so I could install sophos.

We also have a ton of sites in remote locations with slow internet connections. So I feel like doing it off the central NAS might not be ideal. Or would it be the same level of bad as downloading it off of Microsoft's website?

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Nov 30, 2015

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

22 Eargesplitten posted:

2013 comes with a .MST creation program that does uninstalls, settings, activation, everything. You can point to it with setup.exe /adminfile $location. It hates conflicts between 32-bit and 64-bit, though. Might not do everything you're looking for here but it's been able to do everything I need in the past

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Let me tell you about being paid hourly as a contractor for a regular 40-hour-a-week job :shepicide:. Time off in any form is an expensive proposition. Pay's admittedly good, but I'd much rather something with benefits.

You don't need to tell me, I know all about it :smith:

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Setexecutionpolicy is set to restricted.

Does that impact .bat files? I just remembered I ran a .bat off of Microsoft's technet to force uninstalling a leftover bit of antivirus so I could install sophos.

We also have a ton of sites in remote locations with slow internet connections. So I feel like doing it off the central NAS might not be ideal. Or would it be the same level of bad as downloading it off of Microsoft's website?

No, that only impacts Powershell. Typically you can run a command like powershell -executionPolicy bypass -file "script.ps1" and it will get you where you need to be, it will just require that you run it from an elevated command prompt.

It sounds like you'll need to distribute content in a few locations, then script the uninstall/reinstall so that it pulls from the correct location based on IP or some other location specific parameter. Should be easy enough in Powershell.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Ghostlight posted:

The file server went down.

McAfee had choked the entire system to death by repeatedly trying to scan its own files quicker than it could respond to the suspicious process trying to gain access to core McAfee files.

I had this a couple times the week before last. I ended up working with McAfee support, which is about as fun as it sounds, to put an exception to scanning for the offending McAfee INI file which was doing some weird recursive scanning poo poo at the time the server hung.

Gealar
May 2, 2013
email came in: the DC is dead!

Which means I can't log in to our ticketing system. So no tickets today!

Now everyone is just walking in or emailing me directly, which is not so great.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Apparently they only want to use the installer off of the Office 365 website. I sent a link to the technet doc about deployment options, but I'm not optimistic.

Our lead admin is confident he already knows the best way to do everything. Two of his superiors are gone because he was arguing with them all the time, and he's part of the southern good ol' boys club that runs the company. I need to get out of here.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Apparently they only want to use the installer off of the Office 365 website. I sent a link to the technet doc about deployment options, but I'm not optimistic.

Our lead admin is confident he already knows the best way to do everything. Two of his superiors are gone because he was arguing with them all the time, and he's part of the southern good ol' boys club that runs the company. I need to get out of here.

Do you guys not have a deployment mechanism like SCCM or PDQ Deploy? PDQ Deploy is cheap.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Nope, we don't. It's ridiculous. We still have PCs without antivirus. And nobody has adblockers.

I'm Tier 1 help desk, but I also seem to be the only one interested in automation.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Do you guys not have a deployment mechanism like SCCM or PDQ Deploy? PDQ Deploy is cheap.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Nope, we don't. It's ridiculous.

If you have a domain and admin credentials, the free version of PDQ Deploy will still be able to save you plenty of time.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I only have SmartDeploy running at a couple clients and pxe boot images, but use the mentioned .msi file in a powershell script to deal with Office upgrades. It's not fast, but at least you don't need to be there the whole time for it.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Crotch Fruit posted:

I am in US. Instead of any sort of holiday pay, I sorta can accumulate up to 7 days of "holiday hours" each year, in addition to 7 days pto. The key difference between the two is one satisfies the CEOs ability to say "we are giving you 7 holidays every year!". The shifty part is I have no sick leave, if I call in sick, it's a holiday! I need a new employer.

Holy poo poo, that's abysmal, gtfo of there.

and a ticket came in (again):

"engineering would like 6 test accounts to troubleshoot our new Lync product on the corporate Lync EV server."

yeah, not happening.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I only have SmartDeploy running at a couple clients and pxe boot images, but use the mentioned .msi file in a powershell script to deal with Office upgrades. It's not fast, but at least you don't need to be there the whole time for it.

They won't let us use the .msi, just the click to run on the O365 website.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
While we're at it. I just setup an Office 2013 (Office 365) deployment via SCCM and I'm finishing testing of it now. What it's not doing is upgrading our Office 2010 install, which means I need to come up with a clever way to uninstall that after 2013 has been deployed.

I've literally JUST started learning SCCM, so any tips or pointers on the best way to do that would be helpful.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Build the application for Office so that it runs the Office 2010 uninstaller as a prerequisite. Also, work with Applications over Packages whenever you can.

This will help you a bit:

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/office/How-to-Deploying-Office-0f954e7f

If you just Google Office 2010/2013 SCCM Deployment you'll find a ton of resources. Be sure you understand how requirements, prerequisites, etc. work in SCCM and how they're different.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

22 Eargesplitten posted:

They won't let us use the .msi, just the click to run on the O365 website.

Alright I did some digging and could potentially share a script that does the upgrade process using the click-to-run installer. PM me if you would like such a script. It runs entirely in Powershell though so you'll need an execution policy that allows it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I don't have PMs. Could you send it to my email at Eargesplitten the abbreviation for this site @yahoo.com?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Our IT department. Or maybe our vendor's IT, in this case. We have an electronic sign-in system for the building to log visitors and part of that system involves registering potential visitors. To do so, we have to log in to the sign-in system. However, when I try to log in, I get this:

quote:

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpRequestValidationException: A potentially dangerous Request.Form value was detected from the client (Password="password with special character").

So it seems the login form isn't properly escaping (I think this the proper term in this case?) inputs in the login form, which is great because of course our password requirement includes special characters.

I also don't know if it's normal for the password to show up in plain text on an error like this but it does.

Well, I guess I just won't register a new potential visitor, then. They can check themselves in without me registering them anyway :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
If it's pitching a fit about special chars in the password then I guarantee you it's getting stored somewhere in plaintext.

• Locked thread