Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

djw175 posted:

So what I did was save the thing to my drive and then download the whole thing. Once you extract it, you can click on the html links and it'll put the pages together

This seems to work, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Mince Pieface posted:

Oh yeah agreed, and it would be a pain to do in that way in the character builder anyway. I was thinking more along the lines of locking certain feats that are sometimes considered 'OP' like the Dragonmark feats or Wintertouched/Lasting Frost or say the Morninglord PP. I could see this maybe being still a little problematic for some builds, so I'm not 100% committed to the idea yet. I do want to find a way to give unique rewards for side objectives though.

I think if you make magic items/boons/etc. the Optional Rewards thing and have inherent bonuses on, that would fine.

Honestly, trying to restrict items & feats & whatnot based on what's 'OP' is just gonna get the game mired in opinion (are charge kits OP? combos that grant perma CA? perma stealth? how much bonus damage is 'too much'? etc.).

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

Generic Octopus posted:

I think if you make magic items/boons/etc. the Optional Rewards thing and have inherent bonuses on, that would fine.

Honestly, trying to restrict items & feats & whatnot based on what's 'OP' is just gonna get the game mired in opinion (are charge kits OP? combos that grant perma CA? perma stealth? how much bonus damage is 'too much'? etc.).

I mean the point wouldn't be to ban those thing entirely, just to make you work for them. But I see your point about the difficulty of making such a list in a reasonable way. Maybe I'll just have above-level items in the optional rewards while the normal rewards have at-level items.

Mince Pieface fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Nov 30, 2015

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
So Slayers literally just attack, huh? That's it, that's all they do?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

alcharagia posted:

Sometimes they attack harder

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Sometimes they attack harder

What a dumb class.

I clearly need to play one.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Let me see if I can get this straight:

Immediate Actions can only be used once per round, where a round is defined as one loop through the initiative count.

Immediate Actions are further subdivided into Immediate Interrupts and Immediate Reactions.

If the power is an Immediate Interrupt, and you choose to use it, it kicks in before the thing that triggered it.

If the power is an Immediate Reaction, and you choose to use it, it kicks in after the thing that triggered it.

===

An Opportunity Action can only be used once per turn, where a turn is defined as a single character's initiative count.

This means a character can use their Opportunity Action multiple times per round, but only once per turn.

Opportunity Actions kick in after before the thing that triggered it, unless otherwise stated or necessary for the effect to work/make sense.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Nov 30, 2015

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I believe opportunity actions typically precede their trigger, as do free actions.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

The Crotch posted:

I believe opportunity actions typically precede their trigger, as do free actions.

I think it's OAs = Interrupt speed, Free actions = Reaction speed unless they must be interrupts to function, but it's been so long since I've had to look it up and I don't have the RC in front of me.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

The Crotch posted:

Okay, yeah, I got confused by the "Other Triggered Effects" paragraph that follows below the standard definition. Fixed.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

alcharagia posted:

So do Rangers, but no-one complains about them.

If you build a slayer using only essentials materials it will be dull as poo poo and also mediocre.

if you use pre-E materials, you can make it pretty loving impressive.

My favourite is Half-Orc/Draeven Marauder/Gouge/Rending Axe/Ghost of the Past/MC Avenger, also picking up Deadly Axe when you finally start running out of feats. Note that Rending isn't a free action and not subject to free-action attack limits. Roll 2d20 for everything, roll a loving bucket of extra dice when you crit (and you will, you'll be attacking 3 or 4 times a round for the first round or two) then attack again.

It's a plus numbers class at its core, but that's not so bad in 4e, and it does do pretty solidly at it.

Generic Octopus posted:

I think it's OAs = Interrupt speed, Free actions = Reaction speed unless they must be interrupts to function, but it's been so long since I've had to look it up and I don't have the RC in front of me.

This is correct on both counts. No actions are not defined anywhere IIRC.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

What is the elf knight build mentioned once here where you add your Con 2 or 3 times to damage?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, I've found the Slayer, Scout, Hunter (yes, really), and especially Thief to be quite effective in play, at least through high Paragon. But yeah, you definitely need to use pre-Essentials material, especially for the Hunter. A Hunter really needs to multi Seeker and pick up Primal Eye to hit that striker/controller spot.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

What is the elf knight build mentioned once here where you add your Con 2 or 3 times to damage?

Half-Elf Knight (Dilettante Eldritch Strike CON, take Melee Training in Heroic, retrain to Versatile Master in Paragon) using a lighting warhammer. MC Warden, take Crippling Crush (using Defend the Line stance to slow) and then Lyrandar Wind--Rider. I think you can get at least one more too.

But honestly, it's not going to be GOOD, because Knights don't generally make enough attacks for big static bonuses to help, and if you want to go Epic, you lose Crippling Crush a lot of the time because Overwhelming Impact >>>>>>> some damage.

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah, I've found the Slayer, Scout, Hunter (yes, really), and especially Thief to be quite effective in play, at least through high Paragon. But yeah, you definitely need to use pre-Essentials material, especially for the Hunter. A Hunter really needs to multi Seeker and pick up Primal Eye to hit that striker/controller spot.

Hunters are just plain worse than regular Rangers past about mid-Paragon. The regular ranger can start picking up a decent amount of control at that stage, and the Hunter never gets better than Blind/Dazed/Immobilised, which all start being a lot less useful at late Paragon/Epic. It's symptomatic of the issues with weapons-based controllers, particularly at range, generally, that their conditions tend not to scale very well, which is a problem for two reasons, because in Epic, you really need to be imposing hefty conditions, and because they are rarely more than single target which means even more so that you need to be having a big impact.

Hunters could easily have been fixed by making their encounter thingy scale better (more targets, more conditions) but Mearls

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

thespaceinvader posted:

if you use pre-E materials, you can make it pretty loving impressive.

dwarf74 posted:

But yeah, you definitely need to use pre-Essentials material

I am a total dink at actually making good characters, but my Fun New Slayer Character for a Bright and New Campaign is still level 1 so there's plenty of time to learn. I wanna deal truckloads of damage so I've got a greataxe and Unfettered Fury and stuff. What sort of feats should I be taking?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

thespaceinvader posted:

Hunters are just plain worse than regular Rangers past about mid-Paragon. The regular ranger can start picking up a decent amount of control at that stage, and the Hunter never gets better than Blind/Dazed/Immobilised, which all start being a lot less useful at late Paragon/Epic. It's symptomatic of the issues with weapons-based controllers, particularly at range, generally, that their conditions tend not to scale very well, which is a problem for two reasons, because in Epic, you really need to be imposing hefty conditions, and because they are rarely more than single target which means even more so that you need to be having a big impact.

Hunters could easily have been fixed by making their encounter thingy scale better (more targets, more conditions) but Mearls
All I can speak of is having one on the other side of the table during mid/high paragon. The Hunter made his presence felt during every battle, and stayed effective. I needed to take his capabilities into account as much as I did any other character.

They certainly aren't optimal, but I wouldn't put them in the same "actively bad" category as Bladesingers and Binders after seeing them in action.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Race? Any free feats?

First feat should be Gouge proficiency, almost certainly. This is what mine looked like last time I played him:

quote:

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Ka'cha, level 14
Thri-Kreen, Slayer, Draeven Marauder
Slayer Weapon Specialization: Brutal Axe
Background: Born Under a Bad Sign, Dragon Coast, Durpar, Occupation - Revolutionary, Recent Life - Mercenary Work, Silent Hunter (Born Under a Bad Sign Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 22, Con 13, Dex 20, Int 11, Wis 15, Cha 9.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 17, Con 12, Dex 14, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 8.

AC: 29 Fort: 28 Reflex: 25 Will: 25
HP: 115 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 28

TRAINED SKILLS
History +12, Intimidate +11, Athletics +20, Endurance +16, Religion +12

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +12, Arcana +7, Bluff +6, Diplomacy +6, Dungeoneering +9, Heal +9, Insight +9, Nature +11, Perception +9, Stealth +12, Streetwise +6, Thievery +12

FEATS
Level 1: Weapon Proficiency (Gouge)
Level 2: Spear Expertise
Level 4: Disciple of Divine Wrath
Level 6: Surprising Charge
Level 8: Axe Strike (retrained to Reserve Maneuver at Level 11)
Level 10: Martial Cross-Training
Level 11: Impaling Spear
Level 12: Weapon Focus (Spear)
Level 14: Superior Will

POWERS
Martial Cross-Training: Rain of Blows
Reserve Maneuver: Bash and Pummel
Slayer utility 1: Poised Assault
Slayer utility 1: Berserker's Charge
Slayer utility 2: Single Out
Slayer utility 6: Profound Flashback
Slayer utility 7: Mobile Blade
Slayer utility 10: Clearheaded

ITEMS
Dwarven Wyvernscale Armor +3, Horned Helm (heroic tier), Bracers of Mighty Striking (heroic tier), Javelin of Long Range +1, Lesser Badge of the Berserker +3, Strikebacks (heroic tier), Ring of Giants (paragon tier), Boots of the Mighty Charge (heroic tier), Frozen Whetstone (heroic tier) (12), Rending Gouge +3, Demonskin Tattoo (paragon tier)
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

I'd probably go with Half-Orc if you're planning on getting to Epic though, and Trip Up might well be a better power to pick up than Rain of Blows or Bash and Pummel, but I was running with a Bravura Warlord so I kept screwing up on free-action attack limits. Don;t forget that Boots of the Mighty Charge make a whole encounter power a charge, so you get Surprising Charge and Horned Helm etc on all the attacks of e.g. Rain of Blows.

Grab as much of the charge kit as you can, too.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

thespaceinvader posted:

Race? Any free feats?

He's a homebrew race called a Crocodilian; stat boosts to Strength and Dexterity, +1 to attacks, +5 to stealth, and +2 to speed in water, a tier-scaling grab attack with his powerful crocodile jaws, and he can treat two-handed weapons as versatile. Also, he is 10 feet tall and weighs 1300 pounds, which was the deciding factor in picking it over Half-Orc or other similar smash-killer official races.

I'd never actually heard of Gouges before this somehow, but it's clearly a pretty fantastic choice, so I suppose that Weapon Proficiency (Gouge) is gonna be my first feat. Every other feat on the list is open. His character background (theme, I don't know, maybe these two things mean something different) is Gladiator from the Dark Sun setting supplement, and his at-wills are Berserker's Charge and Unfettered Fury. I didn't actually know I could take Fighter powers with Paragon feats, that's pretty neat.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

+1 to hit as a racial? holy poo poo that's OP

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

thespaceinvader posted:

+1 to hit as a racial? holy poo poo that's OP

In water.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

gradenko_2000 posted:

Let me see if I can get this straight:

Immediate Actions can only be used once per round, where a round is defined as one loop through the initiative count.

Immediate Actions are further subdivided into Immediate Interrupts and Immediate Reactions.

If the power is an Immediate Interrupt, and you choose to use it, it kicks in before the thing that triggered it.

If the power is an Immediate Reaction, and you choose to use it, it kicks in after the thing that triggered it.

===

An Opportunity Action can only be used once per turn, where a turn is defined as a single character's initiative count.

This means a character can use their Opportunity Action multiple times per round, but only once per turn.

Opportunity Actions kick in after before the thing that triggered it, unless otherwise stated or necessary for the effect to work/make sense.

You have it right.

As usual in 4e, it all comes down to keywords. Immediate is once a round, Opportunity is once a turn. Interrupt is before the action that triggered it resolves, Reaction is after it resolves. I'm not sure there are any opportunity interrupts, thinking about it.

Play a Fighter, it's the best way to learn the differences.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

There are no Opportunity interrupts because all Opportunity actions have the interrupt timing.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I have an ethical question: is Flame Spiral as good as I think it is?

By which I mean, as the sorcerer I always thought it just got Spell Source damage and by those estimates it's just pretty good. I thought the received wisdom was that it scales very well based on forced movement, but that's not a big deal for my current party.

I just found out that it (apparently?) gets implement damage bonuses, and when I redid my calculations it looks like at minimum (meaning 4-9 cha, 3-12 spell source, up to +6 implement, and only two hits), it does damage consistently competitive with two ranger attacks to multiple targets and something like 30-40% of that damage is automatic. I haven't factored in dual implements or Focus or anything.

How do reasonable people feel about it?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Caphi posted:

By which I mean, as the sorcerer I always thought it just got Spell Source damage and by those estimates it's just pretty good. I thought the received wisdom was that it scales very well based on forced movement, but that's not a big deal for my current party.

I just found out that it (apparently?) gets implement damage bonuses, and when I redid my calculations it looks like at minimum (meaning 4-9 cha, 3-12 spell source, up to +6 implement, and only two hits), it does damage consistently competitive with two ranger attacks to multiple targets and something like 30-40% of that damage is automatic. I haven't factored in dual implements or Focus or anything.

How do reasonable people feel about it?

It is considered the best power for sorcerers at that level other than perhaps Lightning Cuts, mileage varying based on build.

You're a striker and sorcerers are very strong on damage even for strikers.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Caphi posted:

Yea, that's how damage rolls work. Flame Spiral is a good thing. And review damage rolls, there might be yet more things you can add to it, if you're just now realizing Implements work.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Why would you have ever thought it didn't get implement damage bonuses?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I thought it wasn't the actual attack damage?

I knew it was different from just 5+cha or whatever, but I guess it already seemed really good just adding Spell Source. Adding everything, twice, just seems absolutely excessive.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Caphi posted:

I knew it was different from just 5+cha or whatever, but I guess it already seemed really good just adding Spell Source. Adding everything, twice, just seems absolutely excessive.

This is why any method you can get to attack twice or more on your turn is considered pro-tier by charoppers.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Caphi posted:

"Damage rolls" means "damage rolls", as in "every time you roll for damage".

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

It used to be even better, because you could trigger it multiple times, rather than 1/(turn or round, I forget which). Needless to say, that got errataed a while back.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
It's always fun watching Sorcerer novas go off. Chaos ones especially. We have one in my party (played by goon ElegantFugue) and it's great when he melts the faces off of friend and foe alike. He even almost killed our Avenger this week, was good times. This was after said avenger solo'd a silver dragon via critical nonsense in two rounds.

I, on the other hand, Runepriested my way to what must have been over 100 bonus damage total from two Rune of Mendings and pulled three people from bloodied to basically full with the rest of my actions. Then I turned into a storm elemental and stunned a pit fiend. Good times. Runepriests own.

Epic's a lot of fun, we just flowed through four encounters without stopping this session. We all know our characters and their respective bullshit, how to synergize best in a given group of characters, and how to properly time and target the good stuff.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 1, 2015

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
If I wanted to run a game emphasizing non-standard races and non-standard race/class combinations, does an additional floating +2 that they can put into any stat their racials aren't boosting seem fine?

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Kurieg posted:

If I wanted to run a game emphasizing non-standard races and non-standard race/class combinations, does an additional floating +2 that they can put into any stat their racials aren't boosting seem fine?

Honestly, just letting them put either both their +2s anywhere or even their secondary +2 anywhere would do a lot.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

It is considered the best power for sorcerers at that level other than perhaps Lightning Cuts, mileage varying based on build.

You're a striker and sorcerers are very strong on damage even for strikers.

Man, it's considered one of the best powers period for sorcerers.

Sorcerers are kinda dumb.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Yeah, it'd make more sense if "has another damage roll" was an actual advantageous effect that the game seemed to be asking me to evaluate, but it's on Flame Spiral and nothing of higher or even equivalent level. I guess I wanted to know if poo poo like this was considered exploitative or not. I only picked Flame Spiral because it looked like solid close-range offense-defense, which is the Way of the Dragon. I did not expect it to scale as powerfully as it looks like it will.

Dire Wombat
Oct 29, 2011

In this world, there is no truth. The truth is made later on and overwrites what comes before it. Real truth doesn't exist anywhere.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Man, it's considered one of the best powers period for sorcerers.

Sorcerers are kinda dumb.

The best Rogue power for ages is Low Slash, and that's a level 3 encounter as well. Rangers prefer Twin Strike to most of their higher level powers as well. I guess Warlocks use their higher level stuff?

Caphi posted:

Yeah, it'd make more sense if "has another damage roll" was an actual advantageous effect that the game seemed to be asking me to evaluate, but it's on Flame Spiral and nothing of higher or even equivalent level. I guess I wanted to know if poo poo like this was considered exploitative or not. I only picked Flame Spiral because it looked like solid close-range offense-defense, which is the Way of the Dragon. I did not expect it to scale as powerfully as it looks like it will.

The devs probably didn't realize it added all the bonuses either, but it's not like they ever errata'd it. Sorcerors kind of need powers like this to keep up with the martial strikers.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
There are a couple powers, such as Elven Accuracy, where you get to roll your attack roll again, and then it specifically says that you must use the second roll, even if it's lower.

From a generic/game design viewpoint, what's the reason for this?

Attacking is a binary thing: if you hit, then you don't need to reroll. If you miss and use the reroll, and the reroll still misses, then there would never be any reason for you to go back to the first roll, even if it's higher, as long as the first roll also missed. Right?

I can sort of understand rerolling damage and forcing you to use the reroll: if you got a 2 on a 1d8 and you want to hope for better, it makes sense to force the player to use the second roll even if the second roll turned out to be a 1, to make the decision more of a gamble.

Is it just closing off semantic loopholes, or is there some obscure rules interaction where going back to the initial-attack-roll-that-still-missed-but-rolled-higher might be beneficial?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I've taken flame spiral to mid epic after admixturing it to lightning as a sorcerer/lightning fury/avatar of storm. With a ton of forced movement in the party, I was multitapping for upwards of 120 damage per player turn for an encounter per turn.

Yes, sorcerers get silly, particularly when built around.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Dec 1, 2015

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

gradenko_2000 posted:

There are a couple powers, such as Elven Accuracy, where you get to roll your attack roll again, and then it specifically says that you must use the second roll, even if it's lower.

From a generic/game design viewpoint, what's the reason for this?

Attacking is a binary thing: if you hit, then you don't need to reroll. If you miss and use the reroll, and the reroll still misses, then there would never be any reason for you to go back to the first roll, even if it's higher, as long as the first roll also missed. Right?

I can sort of understand rerolling damage and forcing you to use the reroll: if you got a 2 on a 1d8 and you want to hope for better, it makes sense to force the player to use the second roll even if the second roll turned out to be a 1, to make the decision more of a gamble.

Is it just closing off semantic loopholes, or is there some obscure rules interaction where going back to the initial-attack-roll-that-still-missed-but-rolled-higher might be beneficial?

If I had to guess, I'd say it's to hedge their bets against using the powers to crit fish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

djw175 posted:

If I had to guess, I'd say it's to hedge their bets against using the powers to crit fish.

Ah! So if you already hit, and then you use the power to roll again hoping for a crit, but then you can't go back to the first roll if the second misses.

Makes sense, thanks.