Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Herr Tog posted:

Hey goons, I'm getting back into this. Is there team speak only or is there also mumble for this? Also I like Arty, which nation should I play?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3516406#post409395855

That thread has the TS address and the in-game channel password, although the channel name is actually just "goons".

What's your IGN?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I dropped my win rate in the Caern from 47% to 41% today just grinding XP for the Cent. That's a blow to the self esteem.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
So is the NA WoT competitive community completely dead yet or just CW?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

unlawfulsoup posted:

So is the NA WoT competitive community completely dead yet or just CW?

It's basically dead at this point, since tournaments are easy gold and clan wars 2.0 is death incarnate. Maybe it'll pick back up if they fix clan wars and the fourth campaign isn't horrible.

it's dead

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
So have any of you gotten the new french M4A1 yet? I curious about how it performs on the live servers. Google searches seem to bring up a whole lot of differing views.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Hellsau posted:

It's basically dead at this point, since tournaments are easy gold and clan wars 2.0 is death incarnate. Maybe it'll pick back up if they fix clan wars and the fourth campaign isn't horrible.

it's dead

I have been playing Destiny for the last month or two, and I came back to find PBKAC, ESPRT, PINGU, and others gone. Well done WG, you somehow managed to make your awful game so much of a grind that even your best players are dropping like crazy. Good riddance to PBKAC though, I am sure Dom the shitheel and others found some other planks to float on.

unlawfulsoup fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 29, 2015

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008

Agrajag posted:

So have any of you gotten the new french M4A1 yet? I curious about how it performs on the live servers. Google searches seem to bring up a whole lot of differing views.

Schlock has one and seems to love it. On paper it looks kinda mediocre though. Not gonna waste money just to try it out.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I built a new computer, and on one hand I'd like to see how tanks plays on the new hardware, but on the other hand not having tanks installed is a perfect excuse not to play tanks.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

unlawfulsoup posted:

I have been playing Destiny for the last month or two, and I came back to find PBKAC, ESPRT, PINGU, and others gone. Well done WG, you somehow managed to make your awful game so much of a grind that even your best players are dropping like crazy. Good riddance to PBKAC though, I am sure Dom the shitheel and others found some other planks to float on.

Knispel/BilboTheHobbit/MASUZU_NATSUKAWA as he's now known is in CHAI. So you can add CHAI to that list.

Ensign Expendable posted:

I built a new computer, and on one hand I'd like to see how tanks plays on the new hardware, but on the other hand not having tanks installed is a perfect excuse not to play tanks.

It'll play like poo poo. Happy to help you.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

Play War Thunder.

The bots are obvious, and with the low tiers and HEAT you can win games for your team solo.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Please do not troll.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

ThatOneGuy posted:

Play War Thunder.

The bots are obvious, and with the low tiers and HEAT you can win games for your team solo.

bot are still better then players and its like WoT an unfun game.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Tanks in Berlin

The last 70 kilometers before Berlin were one of the most dangerous regions for tanks in the Great Patriotic War. From Seelow Heights to the capital of Germany, Soviet tanks had to tear their way through 8 defensive lines. Where there wasn't a town turned into a fortress, there was a forest with mines and barricades, moats, rivers, and anti-tank ditches. Terrain preferred by tanks could only be found west of Berlin.

Soviet commanders sent four of the six tank existing armies to storm Berlin, as well as individual tank and mechanized corps, brigades, and regiments. Tankers received the last wave of reinforcements for the war. The Red Army had over 6000 tanks and SPGs to send to Berlin. Even experienced crews, not to mention newbies, had little experience fighting in large cities. Until now, most contributions to city fighting were made by infantry and artillery. Armoured forces needed to gather this experience in combat and write one of the most notable pages in the history of Soviet tanks.

Seelow Clench

On April 16th, 1945, a Soviet artillery barrage fell on the Germans surrounding the Kostrzyn foothold. On G.K. Zhukov's orders, 140 floodlights were turned on to light the way of the attacking forces. The air, full of smoke and dust, turned into a blinding screen that impeded both Soviet and German soldiers.

Zhukov's plan involved the penetration of the Seelow Height defenses by combined arms forces, not tank ones. However, the Germans managed to pull back their main forces out of the range of Soviet artillery, and by the middle of the first day it was clear that a quick penetration of enemy defenses would not be possible. Meanwhile, the Germans were sending more and more forces to Seelow Heights, including those formerly defending Berlin. The situation was made more difficult due to Zhukov's hope on aircraft clearing the way. Poor weather allowed minimal interference from the air force.

The Marshal made a difficult choice: send in tank armies of the 1st Belorussian Front without waiting for a breakthrough. Even armour could not buy rapid success. The Red Army was like a man slowly and painfully making his way through thorny bushes. Units lots men and machinery, but a loss of tempo meant that the Germans had more time to strengthen Berlin, already a formidable fortress.

The difficulty of the offensive created another problem: assault groups formed specifically for fighting in Berlin disintegrated. On April 22nd, Zhukov ordered the formation of new groups, with the inclusion of tanks and entire tank units. Since the plan was to fight around the clock, daytime and nighttime groups were created.

The capital of the Reich awaited its last battle. Its streets were crossed with barricades, tanks were dug in at intersections, each house was a stronghold. Volkssturm militia supplemented the ranks of the defenders.

Block by block

One of Hitler's last orders said "There is no need for each defender of the Imperial capital to know the art of war in detail. It is more important that each defender is encouraged by fanatical will and desire for victory." Volkssturm, riled up by fascist propaganda, had no shortage of fanaticism and had plenty of Panzerfausts.

Infantry was needed to protect tanks from Panzerfausts. Mechanized units and combined arms formations had enough infantry to protect their armoured vehicles. Dedicated tank units did not fare as well. Due to a lack of infantry, some tanks were stuck in the close rear, but Germans with Panzerfausts managed to sneak in even there.

Tank brigades used assault groups that included four tanks, two SPGs, one 76 mm gun, two high caliber DShK machineguns, and two mortars. There were only two infantry squads, about 20 men. At the same time, a mechanized unit's assault group had more tanks, more guns, and more infantry (two companies, at least five times as many men). In these conditions, one could not hope for reliable protection from Panzerfausts.

Here is how assault groups fought: two head tanks each fired on their side of the street. They were followed by SPGs, 30-40 meters back, who destroyed any weapon emplacements that revealed themselves. Behind them, machineguns mounted on cars worked on targets on the roof and upper floors. Where 12.7 mm bullets were not enough, shells from the last two tanks would do the job.

By the evening of April 25th, Soviet forces penetrated the innermost and most protected fortification line. Battles after that took place in the city center. Allied bombers already partially destroyed this part of the city, and the Germans did their part, turning the ruins into a deadly maze. Barricades often hid dug-in tanks, pointing their barrel through a narrow slit. Discovering these ambushes ahead of time was impossible.

The Last Push

The lack of infantry forced even headquarters to enter the firefight. On April 27th, the commander of the 1st Guards Tank Brigade, A.M. Temnik and commander of the 21st Mechanized Brigades, P.E. Laktionov were heavily wounded. Both colonels died on the next day, narrowly missing victory. Some tank units received infantry when already in battle. For example, the 2nd Tank Army received the 1st infantry division of the First Polish Army.

Assault groups covered block after block, but individual Germans with Panzerfausts tried to seep through the front lines and take up positions in territory that was already cleared. The Red Army had a very simple and effective tactic of dealing with them: any house or block where Panzerfaust crews were found was levelled with artillery fire.

On April 30th, Soviet forces reached the Reichstag. On the next day, the Poles and 12th Guards Tank Corps tried to take the Tiergarten railroad station. Even Polish courage and Ural steel was not enough: "as a result of fierce resistance from the enemy inside the building, behind powerful fortifications, the corps was unsuccessful." Tiergarten only fell late that night.

At the same time, elements of the 2nd Guards Tank Army were storming the Berlin Zoo. "War in a zoo" might sound funny, but not in Berlin, and not in 1945. This was the site of the commandant's headquarters, so the zoo was turned into a fortress. One of the main elements of the zoo's defenses was the AA tower, Flakturm am Zoo. This enormous structure could withstand hits from 152 mm shells, and 203 mm concrete penetrating shells could only destroy it partially. Battles for the zoo and the neighbouring racetrack lasted until May 1st.

The last battle in Berlin was fought by tanks of the 4th Guards Tank Brigade, destroying the German group trying to break out from the vicinity of the Spandau prision.

It is hard to overstate the impact of tanks on the assault on Berlin. However, victory is one thing, and experience is another. The conclusions of Soviet commanders, based on careful examination of many documents, was unanimous: "The use of tank armies to capture cities cannot be recommended based on experience of the Berlin operation."

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

unlawfulsoup posted:

G died too.

and yeah gently caress dom

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Agrajag posted:

I have one, its pretty good. It does 390 damage with 200 AP pen, it has depression, and faster reload than the IS3.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
ESPRT is gone? I thought I just saw one of them recently. I did notice that PINGU vanished though.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

RocketSurgeon posted:

Schlock has one and seems to love it. On paper it looks kinda mediocre though. Not gonna waste money just to try it out.

Mediocre or well balanced? But really, it's a really good tank that sucks on paper but for some reason works wonderfully. It has the best gun of all T8 mediums, nice gun depression and mobility that's good enough to get into position. Armour is poo poo, but that's not an issue, you really shouldn't be brawling in it.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

It is hard to overstate the impact of tanks on the assault on Berlin. However, victory is one thing, and experience is another. The conclusions of Soviet commanders, based on careful examination of many documents, was unanimous: "The use of tank armies to capture cities cannot be recommended based on experience of the Berlin operation."

Now post one about the first Chechen war.

DonkeyHotay fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 29, 2015

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Salean posted:

G died too.

and yeah gently caress dom

Is there any point to being in a clan at all right now beyond the social club aspect?

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

not really no

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Agrajag posted:

It's frightening to play against at tier 8 and below because of it's massive fuckoff gun. 390 alpha on a tier 8 medium is super loving high and worth the DPM tradeoff.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

It's frightening to play against at tier 8 and below because of it's massive fuckoff gun. 390 alpha on a tier 8 medium is super loving high and worth the DPM tradeoff.

It's not like the DPM is super low anyway. It's higher than on the Centurion, Pershing, T-34-2 (with either gun) and like 30 points lower than T-44, 100 below the German mediums and STA-1. Oh and of course massively below the Obj 416, but then again everything is.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Good point, I only had the CDC in mind when writing that because of the obvious comparison.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:
PANSY is looking for gay Eastern European tankers to join a serious and moral clan. Join WoT's premier LGBTQ gaming community! Must be gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender. PM Hellsau for details!

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
are you an angry australian? no? then it wasn't your joke?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

stephenfry posted:

are you an angry australian? no? then it wasn't your joke?

To be fair, I don't get what he was going for either; I think he isn't aware that Hellsau's comment refers to the fact that CHAI in AW is actually goons. :ssh:

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

I posted on Something Awful and all I got was this lousy t-shirt

Atomizer posted:

PANSY is looking for gay Eastern European tankers to join a serious and moral clan. Join WoT's premier LGBTQ gaming community! Must be gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender. PM Hellsau for details!

I don't have PMs but let me in please. In game name is YOBOYMARVO. I'm gay as hell.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

Atomizer posted:

To be fair, I don't get what he was going for either; I think he isn't aware that Hellsau's comment refers to the fact that CHAI in AW is actually goons. :ssh:

Infection just has a secret crush on Hellsau and wants to be noticed.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

The Comet is a bad tank, the Su-122-44 is just as bad and lacks a turret. They should keep the WTE-100 in the game and restore it to its original state.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

agreed

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Infected posted:

The Comet is a bad tank, the Su-122-44 is just as bad and lacks a turret. They should keep the WTE-100 in the game and restore it to its original state.

I think I once described the SU-122-44 as a turretless T29. So at least we're both half wrong. Also, no poo poo, the WT100 pre-nerf would not be nearly as good in #snapshotmeta because it aims in too fast, and therefore whiffs their fully aimed shots too easily.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

ELI PORTER posted:

I don't have PMs but let me in please. In game name is YOBOYMARVO. I'm gay as hell.

Invite sent, login at worldoftanks.com to accept it.

Soulfucker posted:

Infection just has a secret crush on Hellsau and wants to be noticed.

To be fair, we all have huge mancrushes on Hellsau. :3:

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
where can i find arty tracer mods, to make counter battery easier :)

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Descar posted:

where can i find arty tracer mods, to make counter battery easier :)

Hacks

We're goons, so we obviously use the best hacks there are. "Hellsau's Mods" is the best hack pack available right now, download it at the end of this post. Shanky made some changes to it, everything works with 9.0 and up.

[[YOU MUST BE LOGGED IN TO VIEW ATTACHMENTS: wothacks.zip]]

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
I think everything is legal on EU server, as far as i know

frood
Aug 26, 2000
Nevermind.
How many crew do the Czech tanks need? I have 4 female crew I saved for them but there an option for 5 crew for the tier 5 premium tank. I don't really want to have to play the lottery repeatedly of trying to finish a 15th mission before the Czech stuff comes out.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
Do tier8 tanks still constantly get tier10 games? Some of my favorite tanks are tier8 but I'd honestly rather be a tier6 shooting a tier8 than a tier8 shooting a tier10.

I guess there's some silver pen buffs for the T-44 and Pershing coming up, both tanks I love.

I haven't played since before Japanese heavies were a thing and I'm not too eager to come back but I do sometimes miss my T-44.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I've already spent all my female crew members and I probably won't be getting the 260 ever or the t-22 in any reasonable timeframe.

I hope there aren't too many keepers in the Czech line, because training crew for them will be painful. But with tanks that generally have good guns I think that'll be too much to hope for. I think the t5, 6, 7, and 8 all looked pretty good, so there'll probably be over or two keepers.

The t9 looks utterly overshadowed by the t10, even considering the 10 won't see 7s.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Psykmoe posted:

Do tier8 tanks still constantly get tier10 games? Some of my favorite tanks are tier8 but I'd honestly rather be a tier6 shooting a tier8 than a tier8 shooting a tier10.

I guess there's some silver pen buffs for the T-44 and Pershing coming up, both tanks I love.

I haven't played since before Japanese heavies were a thing and I'm not too eager to come back but I do sometimes miss my T-44.

Only if you played today on Thanksgiving.
Otherwise it is pretty OK, I am running my T34 and CDC for credits and can't say I see too many tier10s.
Although I think the MM fucks it up with toons, so tier8 toons see more tier10 battles for some reason.
Not many goons on NA at EU times though. I am still playing when I have the time, but the channel have been pretty dead.

Edit:
And for some reason I got the M4A1 Revaloire. Pretty nice sofar, but horrible teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The improved sound and physics on the test server are awesome. The physics are different in subtle ways but not worse. I think overall they're an improvement. The new sounds are a massive upgrade and are finally good enough for me to not use a soundpack when they debut on the live server.

Desuwa posted:

I hope there aren't too many keepers in the Czech line, because training crew for them will be painful. But with tanks that generally have good guns I think that'll be too much to hope for. I think the t5, 6, 7, and 8 all looked pretty good, so there'll probably be over or two keepers.
On paper, only the t5, t6, and t10 look like keepers. The first two are questionable. A big problem with the line is that they all have awful armor layouts, but only a few of them have the speed to make the whole glass-cannon thing the CDC has going on work.

quote:

The t9 looks utterly overshadowed by the t10, even considering the 10 won't see 7s.
Having played both on CT, I can say this is true. They're analogous to the Cent 7/1 and Cent AX: the t10 is a straight upgrade except one or two areas that don't matter much. After you play the t10, you'll never want to go back down a tier.