Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mystery Steve
Nov 9, 2006
Fun Shoe
I've tethered My Nikon D800 to Aperture 3.0, I assumed I could control all the cameras functions from aperture but I can't find anything to do this. Is there a plug in or a freeware tool that would allow me to do this so I don't have to keep going back and forth from the camera and mac?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Question I'm sure someone might know the answer to: in theory, is it possible that a camera during a long exposure could display a live histogram during shooting, so the photographer could then use bulb mode to make a decision on when to stop? Just thinking for those times when people have a stack of NDs in place so metering is hard, with changing lighting conditions. I've not heard of such a thing so I presume there's a technical limitation in place.

Or, the more likely, it's a dumb idea that wouldn't actually be useful in the field.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I would find that useful

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I think that it would require a lot more processing power than the camera could handle.

Then again, maybe pitch this to the Magic Latern forums and see what they have to say? They probably understand the limitations of the Canon line better than Canon does.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Olympus OM-D line does that, or at least one of them does (the expensive one?) Paging Mr.Despair.

Edit: content
http://www.lessgearmorephotos.com/how-to-use-live-bulb-on-olympus-om-d-cameras-for-long-exposure-photography/

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

poo poo, it doesn't just show the histogram, it can show the actual image as you take it so you can stop it when it looks like what you want. I don't use it all that much though, although I've been using the livecomp mode a lot. Which is probably even more processing intensive, since it's literally stacking as many exposures as you want and blending in only new sources of light on top of your base exposure. Lets you do poo poo like this in camera without blowing the foreground (that's a 3 hour exposure)

P3030200 by Douglas Tiedt, on Flickr

This is 2.5 hours, but the camera got bumped or something at some point. It's cool seeing how the parts of the tower that aren't illuminated are still nice and crisp enough though it's pretty clear that Ibumped the camera pretty hard at the end.

P3080306.jpg by Douglas Tiedt, on Flickr

If you look real close you can also see that there was probably a chunk of time when the moon went behind some clouds and a few extra stars were able to show up, before going away again. Cool poo poo.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Well shoot. Guess I was wrong as heck.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
What are some opinions on the best way to go about mounting a picture for matting and framing? After a bit of googling it seems that a lot of people prefer mounting the print to the backboard with a tape hinge (I've seen Filmoplast P-90 mentioned a lot), but you also have photo corners or other methods. My wife, who studied photography while getting her bachelors, seemed to recoil at the idea of actually sticking tape to the back of the print, even if it was non-acidic archival tape.

Generally, my concerns about mounting methods are 1)Longevity/conservation 2)Ease of application 3) Ease of rematting/reframing in the future.

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Nov 27, 2015

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

LogisticEarth posted:

What are some opinions on the best way to go about mounting a picture for matting and framing? After a bit of googling it seems that a lot of people prefer mounting the print to the backboard with a tape hinge (I've seen Filmoplast P-90 mentioned a lot), but you also have photo corners or other methods. My wife, who studied photography while getting her bachelors, seemed to recoil at the idea of actually sticking tape to the back of the print, even if it was non-acidic archival tape.

Generally, my concerns about mounting methods are 1)Longevity/conservation 2)Ease of application 3) Ease of rematting/reframing in the future.
I use photo corners and I'm not sure what the argument against them could be. They basically satisfy all of your 3 concerns better than any other method I'm aware of.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Not sure if this is the right place, but Creative Cloud Photography (Photoshop + Lightroom) is currently $6.99/month on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-Creative-Photography-Photoshop-Lightroom/dp/B00KNDCCE6

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Hm, I'm on that plan already but am locked in til March next year @ $9.99. Wonder if Adobe would discount current plan.

EDIT: Chatted with an Adobe agent who cancelled my plan with no fee. Not sure if there was ever a fee but he acted like there was one. Regardless he'll get good feedback in the survey email :v:

iSheep fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Nov 27, 2015

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Just calibrated my monitor and my pictures look like shiiiiit

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Thoogsby posted:

Just calibrated my monitor and my pictures look like shiiiiit

Quickly set it back!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If it makes you feel better, most people looking at your pictures on their screens won't be calibrated either.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

So, if you have a calibrated monitor, process your photos to look good, and then share your them with others with uncalibrated screens, will they in turn look like poo poo to them?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

SMERSH Mouth posted:

So, if you have a calibrated monitor, process your photos to look good, and then share your them with others with uncalibrated screens, will they in turn look like poo poo to them?

Possibly! But gently caress em.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
The thing is though, uncalibrated screens will still have pretty close colours and contrast, and people using them will be more sensitive to the content of the photo rather than the composition or accurate colour reproduction. People who care about that will more than likely have a calibrated screen.

tbh though it's very easy to go a bit crazy with obsessing over calibration, it's just as bad as pixel peeping. I was reading about a guy who did a full calibration every saturday and only edited on sundays. He doesn't even sell his pics.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I have a large collection of photos from the 1970s through 2000s that I would like to have scanned, can anyone recommend a service?

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?

EL BROMANCE posted:

Question I'm sure someone might know the answer to: in theory, is it possible that a camera during a long exposure could display a live histogram during shooting, so the photographer could then use bulb mode to make a decision on when to stop? Just thinking for those times when people have a stack of NDs in place so metering is hard, with changing lighting conditions. I've not heard of such a thing so I presume there's a technical limitation in place.

Or, the more likely, it's a dumb idea that wouldn't actually be useful in the field.

Mr. Despair posted:

poo poo, it doesn't just show the histogram, it can show the actual image as you take it so you can stop it when it looks like what you want. I don't use it all that much though, although I've been using the livecomp mode a lot. Which is probably even more processing intensive, since it's literally stacking as many exposures as you want and blending in only new sources of light on top of your base exposure. Lets you do poo poo like this in camera without blowing the foreground (that's a 3 hour exposure)

P3030200 by Douglas Tiedt, on Flickr

This is 2.5 hours, but the camera got bumped or something at some point. It's cool seeing how the parts of the tower that aren't illuminated are still nice and crisp enough though it's pretty clear that Ibumped the camera pretty hard at the end.

P3080306.jpg by Douglas Tiedt, on Flickr

If you look real close you can also see that there was probably a chunk of time when the moon went behind some clouds and a few extra stars were able to show up, before going away again. Cool poo poo.

The Sony A7S and A5100 have a PlayMemories Camera Apps called "Light Trail" that does something very similar. You first set the overall scene brightness (a value from 1 - 15 seconds of exposure), then you can control the shutter, keeping it open for as long as you'd like (max 6 hours). Similar to Livecomp mode, the camera only captures changes in exposure, so while most of the scene stays lit at the level you set initially (typically your foreground) the rest updates to give you your light trails. The live view image is updated about twice a second during the process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COAb3II1PSs

McLarenF1 fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 28, 2015

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Does anyone have any recommendations of photographers, resources, blogs etc dealing with still life photography? Preferably single item still lifes?

Incidentally I am also a very keen gardener and I'd really like to do an ongoing series shooting single found objects (flowers, leaves, fruit etc) against a plain background just as an evolving document, and I figured if there was a rad photographer who does something similar it'd be helpful.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

elgarbo posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations of photographers, resources, blogs etc dealing with still life photography? Preferably single item still lifes?

Incidentally I am also a very keen gardener and I'd really like to do an ongoing series shooting single found objects (flowers, leaves, fruit etc) against a plain background just as an evolving document, and I figured if there was a rad photographer who does something similar it'd be helpful.

Maybe you can look into Karl Blossfeldt.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I half-remembered some old posts on Strobist about setting up a softbox on the cheap and shooting still life and playing with lighting and so forth.

I found this. Get some fireworks to go with your found flowers/leaves/fruit etc.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
This also sounds a bit like Meet your neighbors

PushingKingston
Feb 25, 2005

What a BEARtiful face I have found in this place that is circling all round the sun.

elgarbo posted:

For better or worse, this is the general style I've been seeing lately:
http://bobbydoherty.tumblr.com/
http://menodizero.tumblr.com/
http://andrewbmyers.tumblr.com/
https://www.flickr.com/groups/2073861@N25/pool/page1

And a blog article about still-life from 2012:
http://photography.glossom.com/2012/02/on-the-still-life-new-wave/?doing_wp_cron=1448910159.8503739833831787109375

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

PushingKingston posted:

For better or worse, this is the general style I've been seeing lately:
http://bobbydoherty.tumblr.com/

Holy poo poo I hate this. At least the high contrast poo poo, it's giving me a hangover.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It reminds me of the lifeless food photography that was super common in those 60's/70's mail order recipe card collections.

nop
Mar 31, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

Holy poo poo I hate this. At least the high contrast poo poo, it's giving me a hangover.

Why is my mouse cursor a corgi? Why is that even an option on modern browsers?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

cursor as a property has been around forever

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

nop posted:

Why is my mouse cursor a corgi?

Art

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Thanks guys. Some of that stuff is a bit more extreme than I'm looking for but it's all food for thought.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I've got almost no photography books in my collection. What should I get for Christmas? I was already thinking something by Robert Frank, Dorthea Lange, Henri Cartier Bresson, and Vivian Maier.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Stephen Shore's Uncommon Places or William Eggleston's Eggleston's Guide.

There's also a dedicated photo books thread that's worth a read through.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Can highly recommend Joel Sternfield's American Prospects

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST
edit; lol problem solved, incompatible hardware

maxe fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 6, 2015

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Sorry if I missed an appropriate megathread, but can someone recommend a service for ordering high-resolution photo prints? I really don't want to spend the money on a new printer, but I'd like to get some of my stuff printed so that I can give framed photos as gifts.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

bayphoto.com

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
I like adoramapix.com

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

RangerScum posted:

I like adoramapix.com

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

huhu posted:

I've got almost no photography books in my collection. What should I get for Christmas? I was already thinking something by Robert Frank, Dorthea Lange, Henri Cartier Bresson, and Vivian Maier.
http://www.amazon.com/Ragnar-Axelsson-Last-Days-Arctic/dp/9935420302

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Contact Sheets by Magnum.
Don McCullin by Don McCullin
Vietnam Inc by Philip Jones Griffiths

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Dec 10, 2015