Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Or it should stay as it is because making this game more realistic is stupid.

e: Seriously people always cry about how the game is so unrealistic compared to WoWs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I actually enjoy it more because it's unrealistic. It's got the right combination of arcade with a dash of realism. Rushing head long into the other teams spawn to dunk their slow fatties never gets old. I really like that the distances in this game are compressed compared to WoWs and even as a slow moving fatty it's not nearly as bad as the glacial movement in WoWs.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Michaellaneous posted:

e: Seriously people always cry about how the game is so unrealistic compared to WoWs.

They are jokes

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

FebrezeNinja posted:

They are jokes

Sadly not.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Meanwhile in WoWS, battleships are made of the most combustible materials on earth. :kingsley:

They also find it hard to hit the broadside of a barn.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

I haven't played WoWS but last night I decided to try WoT and it was hilarious how seemingly the entire business model, UI and just about everything else was copied directly from it. Even the tank/ship class icons are exactly the same. Chinese game development: if it ain't broke, replicate it and add submarines

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

bees everywhere posted:

I haven't played WoWS but last night I decided to try WoT and it was hilarious how seemingly the entire business model, UI and just about everything else was copied directly from it. Even the tank/ship class icons are exactly the same. Chinese game development: if it ain't broke, replicate it and add submarines

Funnily enough it's much better and more fun than the original.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Michaellaneous posted:

I play german subs because for me they are the best looking and most iconic subs. No other reason.

I wanted to play the Japanese ones because, just because. However, on getting to t4 I find it's bigger than a bloody destroyer, slower than the one before and doesn't turn too well. Now you lot are writing that they stay that size now? I may change lines for subs before I get too invested. Pity because I had some great games in the I-4.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Ratzap posted:

I wanted to play the Japanese ones because, just because. However, on getting to t4 I find it's bigger than a bloody destroyer, slower than the one before and doesn't turn too well. Now you lot are writing that they stay that size now? I may change lines for subs before I get too invested. Pity because I had some great games in the I-4.

Japanese subs get the best torpedos which have no problem wrecking anything smaller than a BB in one or two hits.

It's not a bad line at all. It comes down to what you like more.

The game is certainly more balanced than WoWs.

e: Furthermore, just play multiple lines. Right now T5 is still pubbie wasteland, so just take your time.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Stanley Pain posted:

I actually enjoy it more because it's unrealistic. It's got the right combination of arcade with a dash of realism. Rushing head long into the other teams spawn to dunk their slow fatties never gets old. I really like that the distances in this game are compressed compared to WoWs and even as a slow moving fatty it's not nearly as bad as the glacial movement in WoWs.

Tell that to the USS Samuel B Roberts

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Michaellaneous posted:

Japanese subs get the best torpedos which have no problem wrecking anything smaller than a BB in one or two hits.

It's not a bad line at all. It comes down to what you like more.

The game is certainly more balanced than WoWs.

e: Furthermore, just play multiple lines. Right now T5 is still pubbie wasteland, so just take your time.

I haven't really had problems one shotting battleships even in my Japanese sub. If you hit them just in front of the midpoint of the ship, you always seem to hit a power magazine or something and just blow them up completely. It's super satisfying

Less satisfying in my low tier Japanese sub is hitting something and leaving it at 15hp, where it then proceeds to juke around me unless they're crap enough I can just ram them to death.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Zaodai posted:

I haven't really had problems one shotting battleships even in my Japanese sub. If you hit them just in front of the midpoint of the ship, you always seem to hit a power magazine or something and just blow them up completely. It's super satisfying

Less satisfying in my low tier Japanese sub is hitting something and leaving it at 15hp, where it then proceeds to juke around me unless they're crap enough I can just ram them to death.

All I can tll is drive whatever you think looks best because:
A. That's the most important thing
B. I have the feeling the game is okay balances
C. Grind is low

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

It is nice that japanese everything seems to have the better torpedoes.

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Ratzap posted:

They get kind of smaller and thinner with the 6 tube subs, but the 8 tube ones are still submersible destroyers. The 6 tube ones also get engine upgrades that let them go 25 knots on the surface. So with a good sub crew you're looking at close to 30 knots on the surface and 24-26 under. They can also kill low health destroyers with ramming damage, and the 6 tube ones can get right up to other subs and keep ramming them to death with their superior speed and weight.

The 8 tubes ones aren't bad as long as you can keep a good distance from other subs and destroyers. They really excel at spotting poo poo with their 4 minutes of air and being able to take apart a battleship cluster real quick. And you can switch them to salvo fire to make a stupid tight wall of torpedoes that even U-boats have a hard time dodging without going deep. Basically make sure friendly battleships can shoot where you're at and don't be afraid to call for help if destroyers or cruisers start getting too close.

Oh and I almost forgot, because we use less air, you can dive down/surface under on a sub and pin them on you until they drown and they can't do a thing about it.

XENA I LOVE YOU fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 30, 2015

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Third World Reggin posted:

It is nice that japanese everything seems to have the better torpedoes.

It is a trope in gaming, semi based on realism and Navyfield is mostly to blame for it.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I quit playing for today, the carry requirement seems worse than usual. The t4 Japanese destroyer and cruiser went well, lovely ships but the BB and submarine I couldn't get a win in. Kill 2 or 3 per game but still losing so I'll have an early night.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

http://www.twitch.tv/veloxyll/b/684242261

Game has a few issues with torpedoes still

Meat_Grinder
Nov 29, 2015

Michaellaneous posted:

That was a joke.

UPD
Since the Goon fleet seems full for now and in the nearest future, should we just create Second Goon Fleet?

Meat_Grinder fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 1, 2015

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
I think I hate the Omaha. Also for having such impressive hills the amount of shells that can rain on you when you're snugged up to the islands is somewhat annoying.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

CLs are certainly the trickiest ship type to play in this game; Kampfkraft would be our best CL player currently, he may have some tips and tricks for surviving and succeeding.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Ma4rc<TaoG> : wow unavoidable torps from less than 1km away
Ma4rc<TaoG> : loving bullshit carrier

Sky cancer exists in this game and its name is Ryujo :getin:

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I think I hate the Omaha. Also for having such impressive hills the amount of shells that can rain on you when you're snugged up to the islands is somewhat annoying.

Everyone hates the Omaha in this game.

But that sweet, sweet Atlanta is totes worth the pain, I promise.

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006
I applied as humbaba. Get me in when you can, I guess.

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Fleet is full again. Need another 100k exp and 4mil silver for next rank.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Pacra posted:

CLs are certainly the trickiest ship type to play in this game; Kampfkraft would be our best CL player currently, he may have some tips and tricks for surviving and succeeding.

I like to think I'm more of a destroyer captain than a CL captain. :blush:

That said, I guess here's a few tips that could help on the Omaha:

- Gunnery. The faster you sink the enemy destroyer, the safer you are since battleships can't shoot what they can't see. The best way of achieving this is good shooting. In its tier try aiming for the front section of the destroyer where you are more likely to hit. Another trick is to pre-aim where the enemy destroyer will be and not use the right click follow enemy thing since it does impact your accuracy more noticeably. Using HE will also help out against destroyers since those shells tend to have enough penetration against destroyers Omahas are likely to face.

- Sub Hunting: To be frank this is probably where I get most of my kills from. Torpedoes are damaging but can be tricky to aim (in addition to probably killing someone who's about to drop depth charges on them). Aim for the reflection up top when using torpedoes, not at the wireframe at the bottom. Ramming is also a good way to deal loads of damage, although if you're low on HP it may also kill you too as some subs are pretty big. Depth charge, aim for the reflection on top as with torpedoes. If there's no battleship using the sub as a spotter, take your time and remember that you can chase them even when reversing.

- With torpedoes, while you cannot really go after battleships with them you can force someone to maneuver. Forcing someone to steer into a battleship salvo is just as effective as hitting with your torpedoes. Just make sure that there's no friendly about to run into your torpedo wall when you do a torpedo run.

That's all I can think of for now. I basically play them like big destroyers that are exceptionally susceptible to battleships.

Meat_Grinder
Nov 29, 2015
So I've created "2nd Goon Fleet". The application procedure is the same.

Once the main Goon fleet opens up, we can start bumping people into it, or however Grithok wants to do it.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Man, I've gotten nothing but repeats whenever I try for commanders.

Are there any commanders that have been locked out for alpha players or anything? I saw Reinhard von Musel in the gallery and I want him so bad

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
There should be a better achievement for "Capped the point solo in a DD while being shot at by a Kongo and Wyoming for three minutes."

The trick is to switch from going in circles at full forward to going in circles at full reverse.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Veloxyll posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/veloxyll/b/684242261

Game has a few issues with torpedoes still

No it has issues with mice. We have had several people have this issue, hitting ctrl twice seems to fix it.

Meat_Grinder posted:

Once the main Goon fleet opens up, we can start bumping people into it, or however Grithok wants to do it.

This is a bad idea. But enjoy your bad idea.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Guild is full now.

We need five million total in donations and in tier 5 or 6 you can easily afford one million. Don't forget to use your weekly one hour buffs as that donates free money to the guild.

I will start kicking people who haven't been on for two weeks. The down side of being kicked is you can't rejoin for 7 days. Unless we have room then I don't give a gently caress.

We got room for 3 people now. I'll dump another million silver into the guild today. That means we need 3 more million for 20 more slots.

Applicant list is empty, so reapply if you want in.

That Jerk Steve
Oct 18, 2011
to people having issues with some of the CLs: stick it out. the CAs are great and fun

they play like pocket battleships with guns to dunk on DDs and CLs and either Torps (IJN) or Depth Charges (US)

fighting enemy BBs is a joke but mostly you're sitting back with your BBs blowing things away from a safe range and splatting the occassional DD or SS that gets cocky and charges your BB line

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
Average Atlanta match.

Just waiting for the pubbies to realize that the goon who constantly rants retardedly about "how does into botes hellp I need heee" is getting MvP most of the time.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Meat_Grinder posted:

This is a bad idea. But enjoy your bad idea.

No it has issues with mice. We have had several people have this issue, hitting ctrl twice seems to fix it.

If anyone is having the issue where your guns/torps won't fire Press CTRL and move your mouse cursor back to the centre of the screen. Double tapping it almost always fixes it unless it's parked way into the corner of your screen (or off screen if you have multiple monitors/4k resolution screens).

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
This isn't even a sandbox game and you still can't help but splinter the guild?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Goons aren't exactly known for their patience or rational thought ;)

Meat_Grinder
Nov 29, 2015

Stanley Pain posted:

Goons aren't exactly known for their patience or rational thought ;)

:F

We got room for 3 people now. I'll dump another million silver into the guild today. That means we need 3 more million for 20 more slots.

Applicant list is empty, so reapply if you want in.

I'll close the second fleet then.

Applied as MeatGrinder

Meat_Grinder fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Dec 1, 2015

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I'm gonna drop another mil + tonight as I grind out XP for Tier VII DD, BB, SS. I think the Jap DD will be my first tier 7 though. Need to get that investment payment for researching T7 soon.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

humbaba apply back up when ever.

Today is tuesday, and that means fleet battles. Come get your two wins later on tonight.

also

everyone in goons got this

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Oooh nice. Time to buy more Squad Dudes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006

humbaba apply back up when ever.

Someone got me in last night. Which was great, because I got the fleet bonus this morning.

• Locked thread