Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

MisterBibs posted:

Nah, the burning skeletons were the tantalizing part. The bad guys killed his parents. I'm now invested.

But its star wars they could of just put his parents in like that healing tanks, and good as new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Entropic posted:

No one who didn't buy Skyrim at release has ever played it without SkyUI.

I only played with a single mod in Skyrim

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
gently caress you, you told me you had a problem with ghouls.
Ghouls, plural, not a single loving ghoul sitting in a garage.

I hope you like getting bombarded by artillery, you fucks

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

MisterBibs posted:

Um, no, I wasn't really invested until 'holy poo poo the bad guys killed Luke's adopted parents'.
If you're entirely ignorant of Joseph Campbell's work and theories of mythology and fiction, I'm not really surprised that you got that out of it. It doesn't make it any more true though. The entire reason they're his adopted parents is because the writer wanted to cut the protagonist's desire to stay home away. Luke didn't even LIKE his aunt and uncle, and he hated the farm, he just didn't realize he had other options until the farm was no longer an option. He was literally putting "childish things" behind him, to go off and become a man, because Lucas literally killed off his childhood.

One ignorant audience-member being really hit hard by the killing off of supporting chaffcharacters doesn't make that one person correct, the only reason they were there was because it'd be a lot tougher to have Luke be someone the audience can empathize with if instead he had, say, gone to Mos Eisley with old Ben Kenobi - the cantankerous old man who his aunt and uncle chided him for spending time around - to get some drinks, and then he ended up getting blamed for killing Greedo in a barfight that Han started and they all had to run for it and oops there's a cassette tape stuck in this droid that Luke was supposed to be taking back home for his aunt and uncle.

If Luke had, say, been raised BY Ben, then there would have been no reason to "grow up and move out" because he already was hanging out with a badass wizard who taught him magic powers and he wasn't a pissy farm boy complaining about chores - he was blocking lasers and levitating poo poo so why go anywhere!

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Nov 30, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

coyo7e posted:

If you're entirely ignorant of Joseph Campbell's work and theories of mythology and fiction

:lol:

This is the Fallout thread right?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

coyo7e posted:

If you're entirely ignorant of Joseph Campbell's work and theories of mythology and fiction

I think most are and that's such a loving pretentious loving thing to name drop out of nowhere.

Yeah, Bibs, just because you're some sort of odd outlier who literally did not give a poo poo until two characters that had no presence beyond 'the parent figures' were fridged does not mean that the vast majority of people had that same experience.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

look dude, mrbibs is really dumb and it's really not worth your time to attempt to engage with him in any way, so drop it already

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

coyo7e posted:

If you're entirely ignorant of Joseph Campbell's work and theories of mythology and fiction, I'm not really surprised that you got that out of it. It doesn't make it any more true though. The entire reason they're his adopted parents is because the writer wanted to cut the protagonist's desire to stay home away. Luke didn't even LIKE his aunt and uncle, and he hated the farm, he just didn't realize he had other options until the farm was no longer an option. He was literally putting "childish things" behind him, to go off and become a man, because Lucas literally killed off his childhood.

One ignorant audience-member being really hit hard by the killing off of supporting chaffcharacters doesn't make that one person correct, the only reason they were there was because it'd be a lot tougher to have Luke be someone the audience can empathize with if instead he had, say, gone to Mos Eisley with old Ben Kenobi - the cantankerous old man who his aunt and uncle chided him for spending time around - to get some drinks, and then he ended up getting blamed for killing Greedo in a barfight that Han started and they all had to run for it and oops there's a cassette tape stuck in this droid that Luke was supposed to be taking back home for his aunt and uncle.

If Luke had, say, been raised BY Ben, then there would have been no reason to "grow up and move out" because he already was hanging out with a badass wizard who taught him magic powers and he wasn't a pissy farm boy complaining about chores - he was blocking lasers and levitating poo poo so why go anywhere!

what in the gently caress are you talking about

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

NecroMonster posted:

look dude, mrbibs is really dumb and it's really not worth your time to attempt to engage with him in any way, so drop it already

Nah I think they were made for each other.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
but now I'm stuck writing up an alternate Star Wars script in my head, where Luke grew up with a drunken old Jedi who gets them both kicked off the planet in a crazy cantina brawl scene, and how the hilarity that ensues ends up stopping the Empire from Blowing Up All The Planets

flyingkiwi
Jun 1, 2012

Wowzers!
I was invested in Star Wars when, at the start, I saw some wars happening among the stars, also coyo7e is a retard

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

cool fanfiction bro now how about them fallouts

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
not siding with that guy, but if you graduated high school you should have learned about joseph campbell. and i didn't even go to a well regarded public high school.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Looking forward to the DLCs, as long as it's not operation anchorage all over again

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

get this, mrbibs is so god damned stupid that repeatedly flailing at him in some sort of attempt to force good thinking into his skull is in fact really loving retarded

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Anyone used Settlements Expanded? Will it destroy my game?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's really, really funny to see the people who think Bethesda's writing is good totally unaware of who Joseph Campbell is, despite that being the most ENG101 reference one can make to fantasy fiction.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Just, like, make the story and side quests interactive enough that they respond to player choice, and have interesting and cool characters and factions, and you'll have all the player story investment you need. Players can swap stories about how they solved that quest that would be different from how another player did, at least within a realistic amount of permutations, and would be motivated to seek an ending that benefits the characters and factions they came to care about.

When it comes to an open-world RPG, we don't need to be pulled along on a hero's journey. We need numerous hooks in the world to pull players into the world's story from one angle or another, and then give them enough agency that they feel like they have some stake in how that story plays out. Then you get to have it both ways: you get to have a big open world that rewards you for just going out and loving around, and you also have a story and quest structure that supports the idea that the player is probably going to go out and gently caress around. You don't need to just say, "Well, lots of players are going to ignore the main story to gently caress around"--make the main story adapt to that loving around and it's all the better.

The difference is that you have to think of it as the setting's story, not the story of a small set of characters, so it's not going to be a character-driven, emotional tale. And that's fine!

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

coyo7e posted:

If you're entirely ignorant of Joseph Campbell's work and theories of mythology and fiction, I'm not really surprised that you got that out of it.

Like normal people, I'm entirely ignorant of it. Jimmy crack corn, and I don't care.

Magmarashi posted:

Yeah, Bibs, just because you're some sort of odd outlier who literally did not give a poo poo until two characters that had no presence beyond 'the parent figures' were fridged does not mean that the vast majority of people had that same experience.

I completely agree. Fortunately, we're talking about a series (modern Fallout) in which I'm not the outlier. How many times in the New Vegas thread had people struggling to fathom their friends finding 3 and (its story about seeking out your father) a lot better than NV's "please please please care about this city" one?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

sector_corrector posted:

It's really, really funny to see the people who think Bethesda's writing is good totally unaware of who Joseph Campbell is, despite that being the most ENG101 reference one can make to fantasy fiction.

I know who Joseph Campbell is but if you think that post wasn't insanely stupid then you're out of your mind. Which isn't surprising given your 10+ pages of posts crying about this game.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

sector_corrector posted:

You can just say 'MisterBibs', we all know who you are talking about already

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

I completely agree. Fortunately, we're talking about a series (modern Fallout) in which I'm not the outlier. How many times in the New Vegas thread had people struggling to fathom their friends finding 3 and (its story about seeking out your father) a lot better than NV's "please please please care about this city" one?

I just didn't get "please please please care about this city" from New Vegas at all. In fact, you're allowed to tell the Strip to gently caress right off and screw over all of its factions. You can bring in Caesar's Legion to enslave and subjugate the Mojave.

You're asked to care about the Mojave Wasteland on a macro level, I guess, but the game does so by letting you go out and play and affect it, so you get a chance to organically form connections to factions, characters, and towns in the setting. It'd be one thing if the game had some central story about the player being the only one who can save New Vegas from certain doom and assumed that every player would be motivated to do so. New Vegas is a story about a war over territory, not about caring about the fate of a specific city, and your character is free to affect the outcome of that war. That's neat, and it fits with open-world quest design rather than clashing with it.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Holy gently caress I can't wait for the next group of new people to come in and ask the same three questions again. Anything but this.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

you know i could swear that fo:nv was about getting revenge on the jerk who shot you in the brain

if that leads into other things then so be

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Azhais posted:

I only played with a single mod in Skyrim

that is insanely fuckawesome and full of win, good sir. a crab,.. but with monocle and top hat :getin:

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

story hooks leading into an organically growing story holy poo poo what is this - not a bethesda game

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I love how every now and then Curie will refer to the Great War as the Troubles, btw. :haw:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

So we're supposed to use VATS with melee? Ive been just running in and bashing them in free-mode and it seems to work out, no? :3:

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

oh poo poo they lost their bonus

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

So we're supposed to use VATS with melee? Ive been just running in and bashing them in free-mode and it seems to work out, no? :3:

Not necessarily. They wouldn't have revamped the blocking system if they meant for you to stay in VATS. I feel like it's the only way to reliably hit some smaller enemies though, and this goes for all weapon types.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

frajaq posted:

oh poo poo they lost their bonus

lol

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Works fine, but vats lets you use blitz, which is a magical teleport that closes distance to your target instantly.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
So if you want a silent 20 unit generator on spectacle island, go into workshop mode and take the curcuit breaker off the big generator, get a bit of flooring above the ground as it be default will land halfway in the dirt, angle it about till the back is exposed and rejoice with gladness.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
There seems to be something really funky going on with the pathing at Starlight drive-in. If I show up around the time that everyone should be in bed, they are all standing around in the middle of the area, just north of the water pool. They will pretty much just stand there until morning when they then continue their 8 to 8 routine...

Sometimes, SOMETIMES they will all be in their beds, but most of the time, it's very Innsmouth.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
It is super annoying that if your settlement doesn't have enough defenses it will get assaulted by troops, but if you make enough turrets you end up with super annoying quests taking you across the map. It seems like that is backwards, like if they don't have defenses then the ghouls or whatever are a problem you needs to seek out and stop, but turrets force the enemy to come in guns blazing.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

coyo7e posted:

hahahaha what the gently caress is this poo poo :goonsay:

Just go back to shooting mans with lasers please

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

The Lone Badger posted:

Anyone used Settlements Expanded? Will it destroy my game?

Maybe, maybe not. Anything made with the unofficial tools has had some reported fuckery and corrupted saves. YMMV.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I liked attacking stuff in real time with melee but Assaultrons always seemed to block everything that way so I'd use VATS on them.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Harrow posted:

You're asked to care about the Mojave Wasteland on a macro level, I guess, but the game does so by letting you go out and play and affect it, so you get a chance to organically form connections to factions, characters, and towns in the setting. It'd be one thing if the game had some central story about the player being the only one who can save New Vegas from certain doom and assumed that every player would be motivated to do so. New Vegas is a story about a war over territory, not about caring about the fate of a specific city, and your character is free to affect the outcome of that war. That's neat, and it fits with open-world quest design rather than clashing with it.

Replace "mojave wasteland" with "commonwealth" and "being shot in the head" with "having son stolen and spouse killed" and you've arrived at the reason why this entire discussion is stupid. They're the same game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Falken posted:

There seems to be something really funky going on with the pathing at Starlight drive-in. If I show up around the time that everyone should be in bed, they are all standing around in the middle of the area, just north of the water pool. They will pretty much just stand there until morning when they then continue their 8 to 8 routine...

Sometimes, SOMETIMES they will all be in their beds, but most of the time, it's very Innsmouth.

If you wait in till morning, everyone in every settlement gets up at the same time in unison.

Are you guys synths?

• Locked thread