Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."
Clubbed the AI over the head again this weekend in a 5-player 100-planet game in a spiral galaxy.

I looked at the upkeep cost on the default Scout and decided I could do more for that price on a size 16 hull. Instead of scouts, I have murderous RAID FRIGATES, which nibble apart all the AI's convoys. I could trim the armor off so they go faster, but I was just using my Fling Beacon to throw them into position, and forgetting about them.

It's very silly when you pick up Artifact technologies like Neutronium Armor and Antimatter reactors early, and you haven't even researched Shield Generators. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

I like playing the Mono because I love making crazy planets in this game, I've been messing around with the Alternate Balance Expansion Mod this weekend and it adds a race that's even more fun for me. You start with a ringworld and the tech to make more, but you can't colonize any planets. Instead you start with 2 harvesting ships that you send to a planet to prepare it for harvest. They shoot a beam at the planet for a few minutes and then you can harvest the planet with any of your ringworlds, transferring the resource to it and leaving the planet barren. Then you can make the harvesting ship eat the planet for 3k+ ore to build more ringworlds. It's loving awesome!

You can even put multiple of the normally un-exportable leveled resources on your ringworlds with this race. If you find Cyllium (which spawns artifacts) just put it on your best ringworld and you get an endless supply of stellar generators to just keep spawning planets to suck dry. It's crazy unbalanced, but I love it!

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
It's worth noting that the game is presently on sale for those who're still interested in checking this thing out.

We're currently 60% off ($9.99).

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
How does the combat targeting work?

It seems like actually trying to shoot down the enemy swarm of support ships is pointless, it's much better to just take out the enemy flagship first and then deal with the swarm afterwards (or wait for it to despawn due to lack of supply). My flagships seem to be wasting a lot of missiles shooting at fighters however, even when I tell it to attack the enemy flagship. Is that due to random targeting or are the fighters just getting in the way and intercepting the shots?

Also, is there a good counter to carriers with vast swarms of support ships beyond just having a bigger swarm? I tried building a torpedo-based ship in the sandbox, but it wasn't very effective. Partially because my ship refused to keep its distance, I just can't get it to stay at range. I set my ship to "Keep distance" and "Flagship's furthest range", and made sure it had far better acceleration than the enemy ship. It still just charged in and stayed perfectly still, refusing to move out of the weapons range of the enemy support ships.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The AI will specifically try to screen the flagship with support ships, so they're literally getting in the way of the shots. If you want to snipe the flagship you need lots of concentrated forward firepower.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
Ok, that makes sense at least. Still a bit odd that my fleets won't maintain their range, but I suppose I might as well turn the excess engine power into extra armor and weapons.

Any news on that DLC/expansion? I just bought the game last week and having a lot of fun with it, but I'm curious what they might add to the game.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Yep, what OwlFancier said. Though there is a wrinkle: All ships target generically. What happens is they kind of/sort of pick a target at random that's within weapons range (under the default behavior settings; different settings do things somewhat differently) and try to hit that ship until it's either destroyed or has left target range.
Delayed/sustained fire weapons like beams continue firing and hitting even after their target's destroyed, so it's possible to making 'sniping' weapons platforms as you're liable to 'lance through' a ship and hit the capship in the center in a lot of cases, especially since the first ships to come in weapons range due to the circular nature of fleets are going to be close to or on top of a line which traces directly back to the capship.

Edit: News on the expansion: Nothing to publicly announce yet, though the work continues. There's lots of new and interesting stuff in there and as the weeks pass it's becoming more and more beefy.

Firgof fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 27, 2015

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Well that was a rush. We got on Steam's frontpage there for a little while, even if it was just in the "9001+ titles on sale across Steam" box about three page-lengths down.

Never underestimate the power of the Steam frontpage.
I think we might've got a month or two of extra life from this sale so far.

Firgof fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 29, 2015

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
:neckbeard: Nice! I hope this sets the table for your future expansion to smash it out of the park.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Firgof posted:

Well that was a rush. We got on Steam's frontpage there for a little while, even if it was just in the "9001+ titles on sale across Steam" box about three page-lengths down.

Never underestimate the power of the Steam frontpage.
I think we might've got a month or two of extra life from this sale so far.

Awesome! So deserving as well.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
A new teaser for the expansion:

quote:

"The expansion will come with a big batch of new graphics assets and quality improvements by our peerless artist Jon Micheelsen. Some of which will also be available in the updated vanilla game, such as this new mining base shown on asteroids being mined."

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Firgof posted:

A new teaser for the expansion:

I see potatoes are now a space-fairing race.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Gotta mine those potato reactors, man; how else will the universe get space ninjas?

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Dont underestimate Space Potato

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Firgof posted:

Gotta mine those potato reactors, man; how else will the universe get space ninjas?

Space Ninjas had better be a drat expansion race.

I'm still sad I can't have giant artillery fire into other star systems.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
There will be a new race or two in the expansion but I'm afraid neither are ninjas.

They are however being pulled from the deepest darkest pages of the SR lore docs.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Another little teaser.

Firgof fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 30, 2015

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

jon joe posted:

I see potatoes are now a space-fairing race.

Finally, a kinetic kill weapon that also goes great with butter.

edit: ^ von neumann?

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Nah. The Heralds are fleshy. Old - but fleshy.

As for what they're heralding/what's chasing after them - well, there's good news and bad news...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJJEMmzKzR4

Firgof fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 1, 2015

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
:aaa: Oh my.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
:flashfap: Oh my.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Deadmeat5150 posted:

There's a lot of depth in it once you figure out the various FTL methods and how best to counter them. There are counters for everything. Swarming little ships? Torpedoes. Big ships with thick armor? Rocket pods and rail guns.
How can I actually find out what kind of build my opponents are using for their ships?

Also, I tried size 1 "swarmers", and they did actually swarm. However they were slow enough that the missles from the enemy blob could just pick them off in no time at all.

Is there a trick or are they a special build that only works against beams or something?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Firgof posted:

Nah. The Heralds are fleshy. Old - but fleshy.

As for what they're heralding/what's chasing after them - well, there's good news and bad news...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJJEMmzKzR4

Something that big would effect orbits. Unless of course the tech does the tech with the tech.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Apologies if this is blindingly obvious, but the video Firgof linked is a 2010 video of Star Ruler 1, not a sneak peek of Star Ruler 2.

The big ships in Star Ruler 1 always worked kinda wonky (especially for things like counting as being "in" a system for purposes of blockading), but it was still fun to fight with star-system sized ships. I'm interested to see what the Heralds have unique about them, they almost sound like a migrant/fleet-based race.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

quote:

Apologies if this is blindingly obvious, but the video Firgof linked is a 2010 video of Star Ruler 1, not a sneak peek of Star Ruler 2.

Yep. Was using it to 'illustrate' the subtext in:

quote:

Just to clarify: I'm not saying that what's chasing them are ships the size of galaxies.

If anyone would like the 'good news' spoiled: SR1 is canon.

Firgof fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 1, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Did you add tyrannids or something?

I mean having hive fleets intersecting the galaxy and eating everything would be pretty fun.

E: actually I guess tyrannids would be the heralds themselves, whatever's chasing the nids.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Well, you're an SR1 vet right? The 'good news' spoiler I added will probably immediately put things into context for you.
That does still leave the matter of the 'bad news' though.

Firgof fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 1, 2015

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
Any way to track down the source of multiplayer connection trouble? I'm trying to play with a friend, and we keep getting "connection timed out" no matter what we try. I think the problem is on his end, because I could join a random public game while he couldn't.

We've both tried to host, both with the NAT option and with port forwarding set up (properly I think, though I can't be sure). We've joined via the list of public games, via Steam invites and via direct IP connection, but the connection always times out. We've turned off firewalls and even tried rebooting his computer, but no luck.

He's on Windows 8, while I'm on Windows 7. We both run version 1.0.3 (r4746).

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Can he ping your external IP successfully and vice versa?
Y'all can get your externals by visiting a site like whatismyip.com

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
We are both unable to ping each other ("request timed out"). Are we supposed to be able to do that though? I figured the router would just ignore pings, but I'm no expert.

I'm starting to think we never did manage to forward ports properly though, because we tested them with a couple of different sites (http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ for example) and apparently the ports we "open" are still closed. Not sure how we've both managed to gently caress that up, as we have completely different routers and we've both forwarded ports many times before, but that seems to be the issue. I'm pretty sure I've set up the router properly, so I'll just have to contact my ISP in the morning to see if they have any advice (could be blocked by them I suppose, though it seems unlikely).

I can still join public games though, but he can't.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
It definitely sounds like something was majorly misconfigured over there, yes.
If you can't ping each other that likely means either your routers are still actively blocking connection attempts - or there's something going on at the ISP level which is failing to forward the traffic to your PCs. His case is even more bizarre - requesting information shouldn't be blocked by anything. I'm no telecomm expert but being unable to get pings going back and forth speaks of low-level network or router failures/bad connections/interference.

Is he absolutely sure his firewall's down and he doesn't have, say, an overzealous antivirus which is blocking the connection attempts?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Firgof posted:

Is he absolutely sure his firewall's down and he doesn't have, say, an overzealous antivirus which is blocking the connection attempts?

This is common in my experiences. Make sure that there isn't some "Trusted/Semi-trusted/Awhellno" Allowance system included that might be blocking it. I know earlier versions of Kaspersky were aggressive for that.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
He says he has turned off the Windows firewall, and the only anti-virus he has is "whatever Windows update installs automatically".

It's weird that SR2 is the only game that has any trouble whatsoever (other Steam multiplayer games work fine), but the port forwarding thing definitely seems to be broken on our end, so I'll have to do something about that.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
There is SR1 and SR2 lore?

I never realized. I just played the game for hours and hours just to mess around with building exploity space stations and ships.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Yep, there is. Here's an excerpt: (I didn't get around to editing it for grammar and such, sorry)

You can see some of it in the race descriptions on the race selection screen on SR2. In SR1 it's pretty much never brought up.

I've got complete racial histories, backgrounds, and interactions - including how the Terrakin came to arrive in that galaxy and what the Mission of Mercy was doing prior to it waking up its crew, and what specifically created the Remnants and that race's history. Even how the galaxy in SR2 got the particles necessary to achieve FTL tech. I even have the outline for an incomplete short story concerning the Feyh. We were considering including a Codex in the game which contained these pieces of information but I wasn't sure anyone would want to read them - and I felt the need to apply my skills more at the art than the writing.

So for now the SR2 bible just sits on my drive, holding its dark and eldritch secrets.

Firgof fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 2, 2015

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."
Poor Oko. I look forward to seeing the rest of the game lore!

How do you get the AI to use better ships? Victory over the Random Ship Designer's usually-useless Flagships isn't as satisfying as I hoped, even now that I'm playing on the non-cheating, human-hating difficulty level.

The AI does come up with a few good ones on accident, like the ones with giant missile launchers that do a good job of targeting my Flagship and punching holes in it. But then their next ship is a piece of garbage with all its internal space taken up by Superstructure... And the dumb bastards don't even have any Support Ships to go with it.

So far I have found the Feyh to be the most dangerous computer-controlled race, since they seem to expand normally like the Terrakin, but also get their handy faith-based shields on all their flagships, without having to research shields.

The Mono and Nylli feel weak when controlled by the AI, they do a terrible job of expanding.

Frankomatic
Aug 22, 2007

I've got to get a picture of this!
Seeing this game in action makes me wish I still had a reasonable income, it looks so good. If I still had my previous job's amount of money coming in I'd probably be buying a 4 pack and coercing a few friends of mine into playing too. Guess I'll just have to save up instead!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Firgof posted:

Well, you're an SR1 vet right? The 'good news' spoiler I added will probably immediately put things into context for you.
That does still leave the matter of the 'bad news' though.

I played a bunch of SR1 but I was a bit late to the party so I may have missed a lot of the lore and community side of things. I couldn't really 'get' the game first time round, the fuel/ammo mechanic completely threw me and I spent all my time getting stomped by the murderous AI. Once I got into it though SR1 was more or less "make up your own backstory and play a space opera novel".

So I'm drawing a big blank on both, actually :)

I could also just be rather slow and not get it at all when I really should.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Dec 2, 2015

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Nah, I'm being intentionally vague. A less vague answer: Somebody won SR1. That somebody isn't the Heralds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Does anyone have Nylli hints? I tried them and found myself pretty bored. I tried the Mono, and while I could probably win that game, I think I "get" it enough that given a second go I could do much better with them. I just need to experiment with how many production planets I need, when to build factories, etc.

I'm thinking a lot of it is going to come down to colonization order, I tend to colonize very non-linearly and as-needed with most races, but the mothership is super slow, and unless you're lucky enough to spawn near an FTL crystal planet, you simply can't slipstream enough to bop around everywhere as-needed.

E: At least playing both of them once made me realize that the color of the "planets owned" and "military strength" indicators for the Mono and Nylli, respectively, are blatant lies, though!

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Dec 2, 2015

• Locked thread