Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Replace "mojave wasteland" with "commonwealth" and "being shot in the head" with "having son stolen and spouse killed" and you've arrived at the reason why this entire discussion is stupid. They're the same game.

Except that ignores the execution entirely in favor of focusing on the setup.

But whatever, clearly I'm in the extreme minority for wanting quests and the main story to react to my choices beyond "choose which faction(s) to explode at the end," so I'll drop it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Replace "mojave wasteland" with "commonwealth" and "being shot in the head" with "having son stolen and spouse killed" and you've arrived at the reason why this entire discussion is stupid.

It is only the same thing if you are too stupid to be able to spot the differences. The level of construal you have is usually an indicator of your cognitive faculties as well.

Sorry let me put it another way
An APPLE and an ORGANGE are both fruit its the same loving thing you nerd!

Someone dumb enough to think that is not worth discussing things with.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think we almost need a story-sperging thread separate from the main thread.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Harrow posted:

I just didn't get "please please please care about this city" from New Vegas at all. In fact, you're allowed to tell the Strip to gently caress right off and screw over all of its factions. You can bring in Caesar's Legion to enslave and subjugate the Mojave.

You're asked to care about the Mojave Wasteland on a macro level, I guess, but the game does so by letting you go out and play and affect it, so you get a chance to organically form connections to factions, characters, and towns in the setting. It'd be one thing if the game had some central story about the player being the only one who can save New Vegas from certain doom and assumed that every player would be motivated to do so. New Vegas is a story about a war over territory, not about caring about the fate of a specific city, and your character is free to affect the outcome of that war. That's neat, and it fits with open-world quest design rather than clashing with it.

One of the ways that NV really stands out from F4 is in the faction reactivity and choices you can make.

Josh Sawyer has posted that a directive he gave to his team on NV was that every NPC needed to be written with the assumption that the player would hear one line of dialogue from them and then shoot them in the face. New Vegas is much more reactive as a result, and the way the faction endgames unfold can be really complex. The player has a lot of agency in shaping the fate of the Mojave, and there's even the Yes Man independent option where you can tell everyone else to go gently caress themselves, eat their corpses, and finish the game anyway.

There really isn't anything like that in F4 where it basically ends up "we're the good guys kill everyone else" and there really isn't any nuance or depth to your interactions with the factions or between them.

Replace "mojave wasteland" with "commonwealth" and "being shot in the head" with "having son stolen and spouse killed" and you've arrived at the reason why this entire discussion is stupid. They're the same game.

In a broad sense I'd agree. Same game, improved gameplay, inexplicable choice to include a lovely new dialogue and voiced player characters which serve only to draw attention to the bad writing. Which is not particularly below par for Bethesda.

Edit: like I'm probably gonna fall under the umbrella of RPG storyfags who like to grumble about Bethesda's lovely writing but still enjoy their games. I was actually pleasantly surprised by most of the companions and a lot of side quests, the main quest and factions are just bad though. And the dialogue/voice-acting only serve as blaring klaxons :siren: PAY ATTENTION TO OUR TERRIBLE CENTRAL NARRATIVE :siren:

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 30, 2015

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

At this point it's probably safe to leave this thread to rot with insufferable nerds like me and just discuss the game in this one.

Pellisworth posted:

One of the ways that NV really stands out from F4 is in the faction reactivity and choices you can make.

Josh Sawyer has posted that a directive he game to his team on NV was that every NPC needed to be written with the assumption that the player would hear one line of dialogue from them and then shoot them in the face. New Vegas is much more reactive as a result, and the way the faction endgames unfold can be really complex. The player has a lot of agency in shaping the fate of the Mojave, and there's even the Yes Man independent option where you can tell everyone else to go gently caress themselves, eat their corpses, and finish the game anyway.

There really isn't anything like that in F4 where it basically ends up "we're the good guys kill everyone else" and there really isn't any nuance or depth to your interactions with the factions or between them.

Yep, it really does come down to reactivity. Focusing on the "WHERE IS MY SON" stuff is getting into strawman territory at this point (almost to the degree that "THE ELEVATOR" does when you talk about Dark Souls II's world design).

Harrow fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 30, 2015

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Harrow posted:

At this point it's probably safe to leave this thread to rot with insufferable nerds like me and just discuss the game in this one.

Yep, it really does come down to reactivity. Focusing on the "WHERE IS MY SON" stuff is getting into strawman territory at this point (almost to the degree that "THE LADDER" does when you talk about Dark Souls II's world design).

Where is my son, also what are super mutants ghouls and raiders?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Actually got Minutemen reinforcements working for the first time last night. You have to fire at the sky, you know, like an actual flare gun.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Tenzarin posted:

My level 50 something character who has 30+ towns with extensive Brahmin farming and caravans just asked the meat dealer in diamond city what a Brahmin was and then had a whole back and forth about all these craaaaaazy weird mutant animals he's just noticing stepping out of a vault an hour ago.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Baronjutter posted:

I think we almost need a story-sperging thread separate from the main thread.

Pretty sure this is the thread for that.

The other fallout thread has been pretty gameplay-centered
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3749747

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

My level 50 something character who has 30+ towns with extensive Brahmin farming and caravans just asked the meat dealer in diamond city what a Brahmin was and then had a whole back and forth about all these craaaaaazy weird mutant animals he's just noticing stepping out of a vault an hour ago.

i hate that lady for not offering shipments of bone and leather i hate her for it a bunch

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

If I "store" an item in my workshop, how do I get it back out?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

chaosapiant posted:

lmao

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

chaosapiant posted:

You can only store stuff you can build (assuming you're referring to hitting tab and not using it like a box because if it's the latter :getout:), so just go build it again and you'll see that you have X in storage.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

NecroMonster posted:

you know i could swear that fo:nv was about getting revenge on the jerk who shot you in the brain

if that leads into other things then so be
I didn't remember who did it or why, so I promptly forgot about it. Pun intended but I'm not kidding.

I also hated the entire Vegas portion of the game though, it was too cluttered and annoying to navigate, so I stayed in the hills and hunted for one-off content. New Vegas was weird for me, and even now I just don't really have a desire to go back and see it through to completion, and I'm okay with that.. I think I came back to oblivion several years after first playing it for hundreds of hours and not finding the main story, beat it, and was unimpressed but still very satisfied with the game and the writing in it and my time in it.

Pellisworth posted:

Josh Sawyer has posted that a directive he gave to his team on NV was that every NPC needed to be written with the assumption that the player would hear one line of dialogue from them and then shoot them in the face. New Vegas is much more reactive as a result, and the way the faction endgames unfold can be really complex. The player has a lot of agency in shaping the fate of the Mojave, and there's even the Yes Man independent option where you can tell everyone else to go gently caress themselves, eat their corpses, and finish the game anyway.

Now I really want to restart the game and do this, and see how many times it breaks. I'm getting pretty tired of following quest markers anyway :laugh:

Tenzarin posted:

.... SYNTHS??
MAYBE .... GOODBYE
.... BARTER

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 1, 2015

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Baronjutter posted:

The story makes sense if your character is an idiot savant.

War never changes guys durrr.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't think Fallout: NV ever breaks because you kill NPCs, it'll just throw a great big QUEST FAILED at you and delete the quest from existence most of the time. It is is cool that you can kill literally everyone in the game though, barring one NPC that has to be immortal so you can actually beat the game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

coyo7e posted:

Now I really want to restart the game and do this, and see how many times it breaks. I'm getting pretty tired of following quest markers anyway :laugh:

You can't break New Vegas by killing NPCs. You'll fail a ton of quests, but there's always, always a path to winning. There's one NPC you can't kill, and the only reason you can't is because he's a robot who can just upload a backup of himself to another identical robot body, and the only reason he exists is that he offers an ending path that works even if you kill literally every other NPC.

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008

Deified Data posted:

Anybody try an unarmed/melee only build with much success? I can already imagine the perk investment I'd need but just wanted to know if you found it rewarding at all - there's not terribly much variety. You basically just have to choose whether you want to use the power fist or the super sledge in the end, right?

So a few people touched on this. It sorta depends if you're going to make a Rogue build or a Warrior build.

I'm like 24 levels into my second play through. First time I just did whatever on normal. This time it's survival and I'm doing a Rogue-type build. Sneak, ninja and melee. Unarmed weapons don't work with ninja (which is stupid) so if you plan to do unarmed you gotta do a Warrior build.
If you're just doing a mostly-non VATS build then I guess you just go with whatever hits hardest.

If you're doing a Rogue build weapons actually sorta do matter. I get a bigger ninja multiplier bonus on smaller weapons, I'm not sure if I have something else that dictates it or not. I have Pickman's Dagger or whatever and it sneak attacks for 5.5x. A chinese sword that does 5.0x. Super sledge only does 3.5x (or 3.0x, I forget which).
Attack speed in VATS matters if you're trying to get multiple sneak crits on groups when you open on them. I just got to 4 points in Sneak and there was a mob of 5 raiders (4 normal, 1 story boss) all next to each other at about 5pm game time. I VATS'd a hit on each of them with the remainder on the boss hoping that I could at least sneak attack 3 of them. I managed to sneak crit all of them (though the boss took more than 1 hit) because my weapon speed, the dagger, was quick enough to attack before they knew what was going on. I imagine it would not have worked that way if I was using something slower like the Sledge or even just my sword.

As for variety, you're right. But I feel like that seems to be the case in this game in general. Find a gun, it's good, use it for the rest of the game. I should also add I put points into Blacksmithing but I can't really change much on the weapons. Sorta feels like a waste. I need Science for half of the mods and my INT is 1.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

My quest log is getting fuller, and fuller, and fuller and I'm getting slightly overwhelmed by having too many choices of places to go, things to do, etc.

Don't get me wrong I love the fact that the game's got so much to do but I'm chronically indecisive about... well, EVERYTHING.

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008

khy posted:

My quest log is getting fuller, and fuller, and fuller and I'm getting slightly overwhelmed by having too many choices of places to go, things to do, etc.

Don't get me wrong I love the fact that the game's got so much to do but I'm chronically indecisive about... well, EVERYTHING.

Yeah, I ended up like this. My first play through I sorta just powered through the story missions. This time I'm taking it a bit slower and actually stopping to talk to people and now I have a lot of promises to a lot of people. I'm playing on a PS4 so I kinda hated having to go through to new areas because of the load time but I bought a SSD for the PS4 (literally the only game I own on PS4 and I bought a SSD for it) so this second play through feels a lot more bearable when I have to visit a bunch of random spots.

If you haven't done the Silver Shroud quest, and you have it, I highly recommend it. The pay off isn't amazing or anything but it's the most fun I've had on a quest in the game so far.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Harrow posted:

You can't break New Vegas by killing NPCs. You'll fail a ton of quests, but there's always, always a path to winning. There's one NPC you can't kill, and the only reason you can't is because he's a robot who can just upload a backup of himself to another identical robot body, and the only reason he exists is that he offers an ending path that works even if you kill literally every other NPC.
I meant Fallout 4.

WHERE IS MY SON

*blam*

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

coyo7e posted:

I meant Fallout 4.

WHERE IS MY SON

*blam*

Oh well then they will just be essential and nothing changes.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Can you actually be evil in the game? There was one part to jedi mind trick a guy into killing at the furance place.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

There is a bad place where the bad mutantspeople come from.
It is bad.
Vault is good.

Please, go destroy bad place.

frajaq posted:

oh poo poo they lost their bonus
also this is a good post

Tenzarin posted:

Can you actually be evil in the game? There was one part to jedi mind trick a guy into killing at the furance place.
Evil? (No)
Yes (No)
No
Sarcastic (No)

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
If I ever need to try to convince myself that I am a normal and well-adjusted person, I just need to take a gander into the Fallout 4 thread. Reading all you mouthbreathing sperglords gripe about not being properly motivated to play this game (while simultaneously playing it for hundreds of hours) because of some bullshit no one cares about except for you really brings up my mood.

\/\/\/ - NO BUT YOU SEE IN THE WITCHER 3 THEY DID blahblahblahblahblah AND THEREFORE I FELT DRIVEN TO ACTUALLY RESCUE MY DAUGHTER

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Four hours in, I deeply enjoy that the plot to Witcher 3 is FIND DAUGHTER.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

RBA Starblade posted:

Four hours in, I deeply enjoy that the plot to Witcher 3 is FIND DAUGHTER.

Best ending of the witcher is were you get to choose which 3 sides you want to kill. thats 4 different endings, are you lucky.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tenzarin posted:

Best ending of the witcher is were you get to choose which 3 sides you want to kill. thats 4 different endings, are you lucky.

I chose the Yes Man ending in Witcher 1. Witcher 2 was some bullshit making you choose a side instead of being TRUE WITCHER.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Maybe it's just due to the hoarding, but Strong Back has consistently been my second-most useful perk, provided you combine it with Action Boy/Girl

The single most useful has been Aqua Boy/Girl, though. There's a lot of water.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I just don't get why it's this horrible thing to hope for improvement.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Maybe it's just due to the hoarding, but Strong Back has consistently been my second-most useful perk, provided you combine it with Action Boy/Girl

I'm seriously considering putting 3 levels into endurance just to get aqua girl on my new character. I went through like 20 radaway just trying to set up foundations underwater in a settlement.

Yardbomb posted:

I just don't get why it's this horrible thing to hope for improvement.

Its not. Bitching endlessly in this thread about trivial stuff isn't doing that though.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

RBA Starblade posted:

I chose the Yes Man ending in Witcher 1. Witcher 2 was some bullshit making you choose a side instead of being TRUE WITCHER.

I thought the Witcher 2 was strange too. He's supposed to be true neutral. I haven't beaten the Witcher 3 but I looked up the endings. The nice thing about the Witcher 3 is closure and they show it in the middle of the game. Like if you free the Druid or not.

if you free the Druid he saves the children, but the witches kill the red barons wife and the Red Baron kills himself. Or if you don't free the Druid, the children are eaten but the barons wife lives as a monster.

This was the big thing missing from fo4, every ending is the same lovely 30 second video where all they say is war never changes.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

McSpankWich posted:

If I ever need to try to convince myself that I am a normal and well-adjusted person, I just need to take a gander into the Fallout 4 thread. Reading all you mouthbreathing sperglords gripe about not being properly motivated to play this game (while simultaneously playing it for hundreds of hours) because of some bullshit no one cares about except for you really brings up my mood.

\/\/\/ - NO BUT YOU SEE IN THE WITCHER 3 THEY DID blahblahblahblahblah AND THEREFORE I FELT DRIVEN TO ACTUALLY RESCUE MY DAUGHTER

Oh? A wise guy, huh? Look, I'm tracing you right now, pal. We'll see how smart you feel with internal security all over your fricking rear end. Dickhead!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Aquaboy looks pretty tempting, but it'd be several levels worth of perks for me to even unlock it.

I can't imagine playing the game without the various weapon / armour mod perks, or the ammo scavenging one. Maybe on a melee playthrough?

McSpankWich posted:

I feel totally motivated to explore the world, I just think the start of the main plot is pretty weakly written.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

McSpankWich posted:

Ah, yes. Comparing one aspect of a game unfavorably to another game in the series is definitely the same as what you described. Hm, yes, I see now.

Also I did burn out on Fallout 4 because it's really repetitive and there was nothing to keep me playing beyond "shoot more dudes."

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm seriously considering putting 3 levels into endurance just to get aqua girl on my new character. I went through like 20 radaway just trying to set up foundations underwater in a settlement.

One of the things that irritate me (irrationally? irradiationally?) is getting rads on my health bar. Ugh, I hate that red part. And the PipBoy doesn't tell you what your actual max HP (when taking rads into account) so I don't know how much to actually heal. I loving hate radiation in this game. I mean, I love it because it actually does something this time around, but I hate it because UGH.
It doesn't help that RadAway isn't the cheapest thing (I know, you can craft it but I always forget what I need because you can't look up what items you need when you're not at a crafting station). I actively hate Rad-X, though. It gives me 100 rad protection but I still soak up radiation really fast. Can I stack the effect? Like, take 3 Rad-Xs and just not feel feelings anymore?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

^ Yeah, they did a good job making radiation actually consequential in this one.

Internet Kraken posted:

It is 100% worth it. Aqua Boy/Girl is maybe my favorite one-point perk investment. Plus END gets you more HP per perk point than Life Giver so you get to be a bit tankier too. Win/win.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Maybe it's just by build or something, but I can't fathom why Aqua Boy would be all that appealing. Yeah, there's a lot of water, but its all on the coasts, and if you swimsprint you're not in it for an awful long time. Am I missing a place where you are?

edit: on the topic of water, I'm irrationally annoyed that the Manor that had some feral ghouls locked up in the basement-turned-settlement doesn't have the nearby water as part of its build zone.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

BambooEarpick posted:

One of the things that irritate me (irrationally? irradiationally?) is getting rads on my health bar. Ugh, I hate that red part. And the PipBoy doesn't tell you what your actual max HP (when taking rads into account) so I don't know how much to actually heal. I loving hate radiation in this game. I mean, I love it because it actually does something this time around, but I hate it because UGH.
It doesn't help that RadAway isn't the cheapest thing (I know, you can craft it but I always forget what I need because you can't look up what items you need when you're not at a crafting station). I actively hate Rad-X, though. It gives me 100 rad protection but I still soak up radiation really fast. Can I stack the effect? Like, take 3 Rad-Xs and just not feel feelings anymore?
this is why i ended up dumping everything into end from having baseline 3 or whatever
solar powered rank 2 is pretty pretty good about that, especially because it also carries over to wait/sleep so you can just zap away all rads in a chair or bed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BambooEarpick posted:

One of the things that irritate me (irrationally? irradiationally?) is getting rads on my health bar. Ugh, I hate that red part. And the PipBoy doesn't tell you what your actual max HP (when taking rads into account) so I don't know how much to actually heal.

Look on the right side of the Pip-boy, see the rad counter that's not actually on the screen, off to the side with the needle? It measures your rads in hundreds.

• Locked thread