Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
We need some sort of Rockwell Hardness Scale for plastics so everyone knows what everyone else means when it comes to plastic this and that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I've got something hard you can measure :smug:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
its 12mm scale though so bring a microscope

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Moola posted:

I've got something hard you can measure :smug:
Is it dried up GW paint you bought in a moment of weakness

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Moola posted:

its 12mm scale though so bring a microscope

on a 28mm model that definitely counts as heroic scale

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

krushgroove posted:

We need some sort of Rockwell Hardness Scale for plastics so everyone knows what everyone else means when it comes to plastic this and that.

That's actually a really good idea.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

TKIY posted:

This is what kills me about GW. Betrayal at Calth is a genuinely pretty good package. Yes it's expensive for a minis game, but compared to a lot of the FFG style 'big box' games it's actually fairly reasonable and as a 30k product it's a steal. Even the board game itself is apparently pretty good.

38 minis including some larger like the Contemptor for $180CDN, or three loving knights for a game no one plays for $125CDN. Betrayal is selling like hotcakes but GW won't learn a drat thing from it.

Are the rules for the game available literally anywhere?

(outside of on eBay for $4, lol, which goes to show how much even fans value the game minus the miniatures)

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Broken Loose posted:

(outside of on eBay for $4, lol, which goes to show how much even fans value the game minus the miniatures)

It's GW, why do you even ask?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Hardness alone wouldn't be worth much without knowing how well it moulds, plasticity, toughness, how well it takes paint, if it costs blood diamonds per unit etc

I want the full material data sheet for their plastic along with their reasons for choosing it.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The final evolution of Chaos warriors will basically be Cousin Its styled like top knots with top knots wielding flails that have top knots in place of spiked balls

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Then they'll release a super deformed version for kids called 'knop tots'!

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

There's a few videos of gameplay posted around that seem to contain the bulk of it, at least in relation to a given scenario. Most of the 40 page rulebook is fluff and scenario descriptions etc., I'm not sure what the rules proper actually fill up. I could look, but :effort:

honestly I'm more likely to play it with chits or stand-ins, as I'd rather assemble and paint the included minis for a 30k thing.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
My FLGS's Black Friday Sale was sad as it amounted to a few random boxes of Hobbit stuff and 12 boxes of Execution force (Apparently a bunch of people asked him to order them a copy and then bought it online instead to save :10bux: according to the owner) that wouldn't even move at 40% off.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I found a hardness scale, but sadly it only applies to GW products :(

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Pash posted:

I'm disappointed that there are FF13 apologists in the death thread. You guys are almost as bad as people that claim to like AoS. FF13 was a badly paced game that didn't even pretend to not be a tunnel (most RPGs ultimately are tunnels but at least with some freedom of exploration) with a terrible story. And yes, I finished the game. It sucked, traded it online for like all the Sly Cooper games and enjoyed myself much much more.

There's a reason in Games the thread is called "Final Fantasy Megathread: Every game is the worst game in the series." Which is to say, it's extremely hard to objective judge Final Fantasy games. Sure, you have your safe bets for best game: IV, VI, VII and X. Beyond that though, the problem is that Final Fantasy can be so different from one game to another that it's nearly impossible to have a direct comparison.

The way I do it is first ask myself how ambitious a FF game is, both storywise and mechanically, and ask if the game succeeds in those ambitions. This is why for me the worst FF games are IX and XII because both are timid as poo poo and have both boring stories and boring mechanics.

XIII on the other hand has an insanely ambitious story and mechanics, and even if it completely fails to reach those ambitions I can't fault it for trying. Like, both factors only really fail because for some god forsaken reason they made the tutorial 10 hours long. Note, that VIII is also one of my favorite FF games for the same reason so take that as you will. That being said, Lightning Returns is a real-deal good game once you actually understand the mechanics. It's basically a balls hard Majora's Mask with no soft reset button.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Say what you like. The protagonist of 9 was a furry.

Go ahead. Defend that.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

zidane is a goku

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
9? more like NEIN!

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Actually FFXIV is the best of them all :gitgud:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Final Fantasy II (american 2, whatever they called it in the glorious land of nippon for you weeaboos) on SNES was the best one because it's the only one I ever played when I was like 13 and it had a good soundtrack and great mode 7 graphics and I could still be excited about a game that was "do a menu combat, then press x a bunch of times to scroll through dialogue-heavy melodrama"

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Otisburg posted:

Final Fantasy II (american 2, whatever they called it in the glorious land of nippon for you weeaboos) on SNES was the best one because it's the only one I ever played when I was like 13 and it had a good soundtrack and great mode 7 graphics and I could still be excited about a game that was "do a menu combat, then press x a bunch of times to scroll through dialogue-heavy melodrama"
That game was a huge letdown replaying it when I got a DS.

"My memories of the plot are kinda vague, but I bet it's good!"

Turns out my memories weren't that vague.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Maybe GW will get the license for tabletop Final Fantasy.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

FFVIII is the only one I've ever played and I liked it

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Menu driven combat is the worst. *Takes turns selecting actions from a list then waiting for opponent to roll dice to calculate result.*

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
The best FF is Tactics. Everyone knows this.

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2015/11/40k-oldhammer-doesnt-work.html Also the site Game Classy's hosts called "trash" reminds us why with an article basically saying OOP games suck because there is nothing new to buy, almost proving that maaaaybe to the really stupid GW fanboys, their hobby is buying overpriced unassembled unpainted plastic dollies.

I guess I can't forge my own narrative and those folks who have backmodded current 40K dudes to play in 2nd ed or that time I was working on Necromunda but with 40K units then. Only forge the narratives that give Kirby more money!

MODDING GAMES IS SOMETHING IN A NICHE. As opposed to you know, a big part of the fun of playing tabletop games because its a lot easier than learning to code or disassembling machine language Commodore 64 games.

Seriously though. Tactics owns. I also quite like Mystic Quest because its quick, peppy, and has some simple puzzle solving as opposed to massive grinding. (Though PSP FF4 and a few of the other ones with a similar engine in modern times have double speed dumb as bricks autocombat to keep things moving. Its the only way my rear end finished 4 on the PSP with all of After Years content. I woulda gotten bored as gently caress before even reaching the moon in 4, much less the rest of the content!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

FFT does, indeed, own.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Captain Rufus posted:

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2015/11/40k-oldhammer-doesnt-work.html Also the site Game Classy's hosts called "trash" reminds us why with an article basically saying OOP games suck because there is nothing new to buy, almost proving that maaaaybe to the really stupid GW fanboys, their hobby is buying overpriced unassembled unpainted plastic dollies.

I love how part of his argument for playing current editions is "power creep may one day favor your army! Power creep is a good thing that you'll miss out on if you play old editions!" Also the idea of the game growing stale - sure that's a possibility, but at the same time playing the same game/edition for a long time allows you to experiment more and find all the different combos and poo poo you can pull. You get more time to tug at the extremes of a game without worrying about always finding that perfect winning combo.

Oh, and "if you want to play Oldhammer you're an anti-social grog."

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Broken Loose posted:

I played a demo game at my FLGS, I enjoyed it but I'm pretty sure you wouldn't like it, the dice make it kind of swingy.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Midjack posted:

Maybe GW will get the license for tabletop Final Fantasy.

GW overdetailing married to Nomura belts :stonk:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Captain Rufus posted:

The best FF is Tactics. Everyone knows this.

"buy all our playsets and toys"

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

YF19pilot posted:

I love how part of his argument for playing current editions is "power creep may one day favor your army! Power creep is a good thing that you'll miss out on if you play old editions!"

There are no Tyranids, only temporarily embarrassed Space Marines.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

:siren:GIVE GATCHA MACHINES MONEY:siren:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Knowledge of the existence of little Samurai Green Army Men has instantly turned me about .5% more weeaboo than I was before reading the above post.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

I need those in my life.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Those look really cool but imagine your disappointment when you pull the samurai wife inaction figure.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

Those look really cool but imagine your disappointment when you pull the samurai wife inaction figure.

I think you're misunderestimating the appeal of the Waifu figure to the target market.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
She's charging a ki-ball, you sexist pigs.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

Those look really cool but imagine your disappointment when you pull anything but a samurai doing pelvic thrusts.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

How big are these, how easy are they to get in the USA, and would they be a good reason to get this game:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I kind of wish there was a tabletop wargaming company that dealt exclusively in green'n'tan army men style monopose plastic minis. Like, orcs and dwarves and robots and poo poo, but all done like those big bags of army men you get from the dollar store. No painting or assembly required, just dump'em on the table, build your army, and then have it out.

• Locked thread