Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I hope Phasma speaks like a Dalek.

wyoming fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Nov 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There's nothing wrong with someone disliking the thing that made them rich. I think the thing people are complaining about are people acting like curmudgeonly-rear end bitches whenever they are asked about it or it is mentioned to them.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Escobarbarian posted:

There's nothing wrong with someone disliking the thing that made them rich. I think the thing people are complaining about are people acting like curmudgeonly-rear end bitches whenever they are asked about it or it is mentioned to them.

They've been worshipped by a creepy cult of awkward assholes since before a lot of people here were born.

And yet the problem is with them.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

They've been worshipped by a creepy cult of awkward assholes since before a lot of people here were born.

And yet the problem is with them.

yes it is. Escobarbarian has it right. so many people never make it and it's really dumb to be a crabby rear end in a top hat about something that got you started or got you big.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
He has a right to dislike his own loving work, you autists.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Actually Star Wars is owned more by the fans now that George Lucas or much less..............Harrison Ford.......

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Star Wars is an IDEA and you cannot criticize and idea.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Dec 4, 2015

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Groovelord Neato posted:

yes it is. Escobarbarian has it right. so many people never make it and it's really dumb to be a crabby rear end in a top hat about something that got you started or got you big.

So many people don't make it in basically every line of work, acting isn't special in that.

At the end of the day, it's a job. I don't blame Ford for not being particularly fond of Star Wars; he doesn't owe fans anything. I had a great time at a job I held for a couple of years a while back, but I left on my own terms and if they asked me to come back for a few days of work, I'd tell them to pound sand, because I've moved on.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Groovelord Neato posted:

Maybe he suggested that Han shoot second. Ever think of that?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So less movie spoilers and more spoiling and sense of actually creating an enjoyable or useful conversation. I guess I misunderstood the thread title.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Jesus Christ dude people are entitled to their opinions and are not obligated to play a role to every jerk-off seeking validation for quoting a movie. You love Star Wars because it helped distract from Daddy molesting your autistic rear end,

Deep breaths. He's entitled to his opinion too.

e: here's an edit of the many existing trailers arranged into generally what the leaked outline says will happen.

https://youtu.be/fNApYOcInQk

Electromax fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Nov 29, 2015

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

My philosophy is that reasons are less important than excuses. This movie is a good excuse to see the star wars title in a big screen, the star wars feel, a new story with lasers and exploding spaceships, some mythos about monk-warriors people.

If is well written and well directed, even better.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Jesus Christ dude people are entitled to their opinions and are not obligated to play a role to every jerk-off seeking validation for quoting a movie. You love Star Wars because it helped distract from Daddy molesting your autistic rear end, but Mr. Ford doesn't need to pretend to like SW and the terrible culture surrounding them. Hollywood stars don't need to give the affection that your parents only gave in the form of impromptu anal probes, and the amount of dollars you spent on Han Solo action figures isn't going to change that.

You are weird and gross and this is an extremely bad post even by star wars thread standards.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Per goon Cnut the Great in the other SW thread:

Cnut the Great posted:

Has anyone posted about the new galaxy map Lucasfilm released a few days ago? It (seemingly) confirms a major plot point about TFA in a pretty ingeniously sneaky way:

WARNING -- SPOILERS IN LINK BELOW

http://makingstarwars.net/2015/11/star-wars-the-force-awakens-starkiller-location-has-some-interesting-geographic-implications/

Basically, Starkiller Base is Ilum. As in, the planet where all the lightsaber/kyber crystals come from. As The Clone Wars revealed, rare, unusually massive kyber crystals are what gave previous Death Stars their boom power. So now imagine what would happen if an entire planet practically made out of kyber crystals got turned into a power amplifier for a gargantuan superlaser built straight into the planet's core.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Are "kyber" crystals a thing in the EU? Sounds like something Krusty The Klown would make up if he ever wrote a science fiction novel.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Grendels Dad posted:

Are "kyber" crystals a thing in the EU? Sounds like something Krusty The Klown would make up if he ever wrote a science fiction novel.

The latter describes the former.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Grendels Dad posted:

A kyber crystal is forever

And they're Disney canon, not just Legends

Mystery Steve
Nov 9, 2006
Fun Shoe
So the star killer fucks planets to death?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Mystery Steve posted:

So the star killer fucks planets to death?

in the original script it was called the "planet fucker 5000"

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I shouldn't tell you this but you're the only one I can trust...
Everyone keeps asking how Star Killer base moves around. Why does it need to move around? Surely it doesn't hang out IN the star systems it is blowing up. Besides the real world science problems, why can't it just destroy star systems from where it is? Just shoot a mega laser from its own system across the galaxy to the target. This also makes it less vulnerable, like an ICBM instead of a long range bomber.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lunatic Pathos posted:

Everyone keeps asking how Star Killer base moves around. Why does it need to move around? Surely it doesn't hang out IN the star systems it is blowing up. Besides the real world science problems, why can't it just destroy star systems from where it is? Just shoot a mega laser from its own system across the galaxy to the target. This also makes it less vulnerable, like an ICBM instead of a long range bomber.

Maybe the only star it can blow up is its own. :grin:

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Lunatic Pathos posted:

Considering how quickly poo poo changes in Star Wars universe I'm sure by the time it takes for the blast to reach the enemy star, the conflict would have been forgotten into legend.

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

gohmak posted:

Considering how quickly poo poo changes in Star Wars universe I'm sure by the time it takes for the blast to reach the enemy star, the conflict would have been forgotten into legend.

Lunatic Pathos posted:

Besides the real world science problems

If ships can travel at hyperspeed why can't super lasers?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
EU did it in Dark Empire with the Galaxy Gun.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
So just saw this image on Reddit.

So will Finn die fighting Kylo on that snow planet? As far as we know, Boyega isn't signed on for Episode VIII.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

That's not his hair though.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

He's wearing a wig in that scene.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
I doubt he will die but it could be Finn as in the climactic battle with Kylo, according to all the speculation summaries, Finn will go down injured as Kylo is too much for him and then Rey will defeat him because she's a super special skywalker.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Wait.

So Ackbar is being "played" by the same actor (Tim Rose) from Return of the Jedi, but is he going to have the same voice actor?

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Robutt posted:

I doubt he will die but it could be Finn as in the climactic battle with Kylo, according to all the speculation summaries, Finn will go down injured as Kylo is too much for him and then Rey will defeat him because she's a super special skywalker.

Kylo Ren seems to have some kind of force mind attack that we see him using on Poe in the trailers. I assume this will probably be his version of the vader force choke. He probably gives Finn a taste of that, either that or poor Finn is going to get a good scar / lost limb.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Kurzon posted:

So just saw this image on Reddit.

So will Finn die fighting Kylo on that snow planet? As far as we know, Boyega isn't signed on for Episode VIII.

Weren't they casting a female character that had good chemistry with Boyega for Episode VIII? I recall that the lead from Jane the Virgin and the girl from Bates Motel were mentioned. Also, for all the fuzz caused by casting Boyega, it would be pretty dumb to kill him off in the first movie, they would end up playing for the racists dicks.

I'm more worried for Oscar Isaac.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

That is totally Han

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Proud opponent of Israeli terror and Jewish fascism!
Theres a supposed scene by scene out there and it sounds pretty legit to me.
Probably what that pdf is based off

fakeedit: Its Finn and he doesn't die.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

radlum posted:

I'm more worried for Oscar Isaac.
Oh right. They wear the same uniform. Are Poe and Rey related?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Kurzon posted:

Oh right. They wear the same uniform. Are Poe and Rey related?

Poe has no relation to any of the characters from everything i've read.

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

Shattered Empire comics and some novels (I've only read the former) seem to indicate that Poe is Leia's godson. His parents are rebels that muster out of the Rebellion after some close calls in follow-up action after Return of the Jedi. His father goes on several spec ops missions with Han and his mother teams up with Leia and Luke on separate occasions. In the issue with Leia, there are several close calls that have Shara Bey (Poe's mom) telling Leia she wouldn't want the princess to have to deliver news of her death to her husband; Leia says she won't have to. The sense is very much that Leia feels responsible for these people, and since they've just had a kid, everyone keeps pushing them to go ahead and muster out, they've done their part, etc. They settle on Yavin IV after they finally give in to raise their son. They also have one of a pair of force-attuned saplings Luke rescued from Imperial clutches. If Poe's parents die in later aftermath stuff I could see Leia looking after Poe.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
SPOILER ALERT: jj abrhams kills of entire OT cast in amazing REBOOT of series

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO

a starwar betamax posted:

SPOILER ALERT: jj abrhams kills of entire OT cast in amazing REBOOT of series

Honestly expecting this to be the case over the next three movies. Han in this one, Leia in the next, and Luke in the last. I can't imagine that they'd be signed on for more appearances after this new trilogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!
People don't like it when the rich and famous act as if they are better than or above the people whose money and attention made them rich and famous.

Has Harrison Ford actually acted that way? Who knows!

• Locked thread