Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sponges
Sep 15, 2011

When did angry joe get fat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

This isn't exactly a high-exercise job.

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

We have to play games, watch movies, write and then edit for hours on end each step of the way. We do a lot of sitting down, us internet people.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Also it's not like anyone's getting any younger. I'm about the same age as a lot of these guys and I've definitely hit the "Ha ha, your metabolism is lazy now! Hope you weren't too happy being thin, because those days are never coming back!" point.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
What about Brad? It's almost shocking how much weight he's lost over the years.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Puppy Time posted:

Also it's not like anyone's getting any younger. I'm about the same age as a lot of these guys and I've definitely hit the "Ha ha, your metabolism is lazy now! Hope you weren't too happy being thin, because those days are never coming back!" point.

I miss the days where I could have a 2 entree plate at Panda Express for lunch, grab an oreo cream ice cream with kitkats inside it from Coldstone after work then get a double down from KFC for dinner and not budge an ounce on the scale.

Mraagvpeine posted:

What about Brad? It's almost shocking how much weight he's lost over the years.

It really is shocking how thin the guy got, from the first videos I watched of him to videos now its like he got a new body. Actually now that I think about it, hasn't Jontron been getting thinner as well?

Internet Critic discussion: Waist size

The Horse in Tears
Nov 3, 2014

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

He kant diet either.

Has the Nerdwriter ever been mentioned here? If you like stuff like Brows Held High or Folding Ideas you'll probably dig him. He didn't come out of the riff/recap scene so he doesn't have any of that baggage.

He discusses various media and topics, including movies. Those videos are 7-10 minutes of just analysis, focussing on a particular aspect or concept. (Count on major spoilers.) They're video essays rather than "reviews" and even when the subject is geeky his approach to it isn't.

Personally he won me over when he brought up M. John Harrison in the worldbuilding video.

On a different note Allison/Lupa mentioned on tumblr she just saw Solarbabies. Dunno if she'll do anything with it but it's odd how long that one's flown under the reviewer radar.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Jontron's been (and boasted rather a lot for a while about) the Paleo diet for months.

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

The Horse in Tears posted:

Has the Nerdwriter ever been mentioned here? If you like stuff like Brows Held High or Folding Ideas you'll probably dig him. He didn't come out of the riff/recap scene so he doesn't have any of that baggage.

He discusses various media and topics, including movies. Those videos are 7-10 minutes of just analysis, focussing on a particular aspect or concept. (Count on major spoilers.) They're video essays rather than "reviews" and even when the subject is geeky his approach to it isn't.

Personally he won me over when he brought up M. John Harrison in the worldbuilding video.

I've been following his stuff for a while. I want to be him if I grow up.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

END ME SCOOB posted:

This is how I feel about Chris Sims and War Rocket Ajax. There are occasional times a friend goes "no, you need to hear this one", but by and large he's better on every other show. Including ones that share the same co-host!

I like Every Story Ever. For a while last year I listened to new episodes of WRA every week, but nowadays whether I listen to the regular episodes of usually depends on who the guest is and what they're talking about.

I don't really listen to many podcasts, though I occasionally look out for one to try. I listened to Full of Sith and Rachel & Miles X-Plain the X-Men for a while and still occasionally check in on them to see what they're on about, but it's no longer a regular thing for me. In both cases, I actually started thinking they were too positive about their subject matter. :shrug: (:v:)

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Thunderfinger posted:

This isn't exactly a high-exercise job.

If he gets too big though he's gonna have to buy a bunch of new costumes.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Jim Sterling is fat too and he also reviews things on the Internet.
Smells like a conspiracy to me.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

*loses 20 pounds but nobody notices because he hasn't shot a video since May* :(

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

DStecks posted:

*loses 20 pounds but nobody notices because he hasn't shot a video since May* :(

I'm proud of you. :)

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
I'll just leave this here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE7lk3vcYf0

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

The Horse in Tears posted:

On a different note Allison/Lupa mentioned on tumblr she just saw Solarbabies. Dunno if she'll do anything with it but it's odd how long that one's flown under the reviewer radar.

I'm surprised too! I wasn't watching thinking if I'd review it or not, I was just curious about it, but man...I know less now than when I started.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Wheat Loaf posted:

I like Every Story Ever. For a while last year I listened to new episodes of WRA every week, but nowadays whether I listen to the regular episodes of usually depends on who the guest is and what they're talking about.

That is basically me except I was referring to Movie Fighters as being the one I really dug. (I don't know what ESE is.) But yeah, usually if I dip back into WRA it's because of the guest. I basically dropped comics like a hot potato, so that left the majority of the show cold to me.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

END ME SCOOB posted:

That is basically me except I was referring to Movie Fighters as being the one I really dug. (I don't know what ESE is.) But yeah, usually if I dip back into WRA it's because of the guest. I basically dropped comics like a hot potato, so that left the majority of the show cold to me.

What even the gently caress is going on with your avatar and username

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Scooby Doo fanfic obviously.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

KKall posted:

We have to play games, watch movies, write and then edit for hours on end each step of the way. We do a lot of sitting down, us internet people.

Nah, man. It's just that people have, like, widescreen monitors now. That's it. Yeah.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
Alison - excellent review of LIFE SIZE, what the hell was that movie. I've never seen any of Next Top Model, so the clips from it looked absolutely insane - but I have heard a podcast where they talked about her book Modelland, and it was certainly something else.
Has the Mitch Buchanan doll appeared in any other videos or was that a new acquisition that we haven't seen before?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Sometimes I just get bored of my name and start from scratch. But then I need a new title to go with it. And sometimes it ends up looking like this $12 later.

(it actually came out of a game of Quiplash)

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

Kunster posted:

Jontron's been (and boasted rather a lot for a while about) the Paleo diet for months.

Oh Jontron, you poor, wonderful, poor flower of a man-child. :(

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm watching the SF Debris bit on SWTOR. I never played it, but I did play KOTOR1&2.

I'm not an MMO player; only watching part one so far and hearing him rant about time sinks and traveling issues; I'm once again thinking "Why couldn't they just make a KOTOR 3?" even though I already know the answer to that.

What a waste of goodwill.

Red Letter Media's initial popularity helped me rid of whatever denial I had that made me loyal to Star Wars as a brand. Just take whatever memories I had with the good stuff and move on. It didn't help that much, at that same time, learning another beloved aspect of the Star Wars property, the KOTOR games, was being revived so it could be steered toward the direction nobody really asked for. (Conveniently, this was also the same time I was getting on board the BioWare backlash as well...)

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

TOR is basically KOTOR3.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't really listen to many podcasts, though I occasionally look out for one to try. I listened to Full of Sith and Rachel & Miles X-Plain the X-Men for a while and still occasionally check in on them to see what they're on about, but it's no longer a regular thing for me. In both cases, I actually started thinking they were too positive about their subject matter. :shrug: (:v:)

Usually if I'm backed up on podcasts, I'll skip the interview segment entirely. I'll still listen to their reviews and whatever they recommend. But if it's not anyone I care about, I'll just skip straight to whatever the post interview segment is. I still make it a point to catch the Every Story Ever episodes. For the record, I fell off of Rachel & Miles for awhile too, because I'm really not super invested in The New Mutants.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

For the record, I fell off of Rachel & Miles for awhile too, because I'm really not super invested in The New Mutants.

I like the New Mutants a lot - I will listen to them from time to time but part of the problem I started having with it was that they seemed a little bit too in awe of Chris Claremont for me. Nevertheless, they've been going through the long period in the comic's history where Claremont was consistently delivering very good stories. It'll be interesting to see how the feel about his various less-than-stellar returns to the franchise (X-Treme X-Men, I am looking at you) but that'll be a long way off for them yet.

As for the other one I mentioned - Full of Sith - I normally enjoy listening to them talking about Star Wars but I sort of started having a hard time taking them seriously when they get to start having straight-faced discussions about whether characters from the Rebels cartoon will be appearing in The Force Awakens or the spin-off movies. I mean, they're all in their thirties, some of them work in the entertainment industry to varying degrees - they should know better, I guess.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

TOR is basically KOTOR3.

No, it really isn't. The terribad book Revan is KOTOR 3, and it loving sucks because you don't hire video game scriptwriters to write loving novels. The Jedi Exile's true name is Meetra Surik, and Revan has a kid named Vaner.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Wheat Loaf posted:

listened to Full of Sith and Rachel & Miles X-Plain the X-Men for a while and still occasionally check in on them to see what they're on about, but it's no longer a regular thing for me. In both cases, I actually started thinking they were too positive about their subject matter. :shrug: (:v:)

And I thought i was the only one. Yeah, Rachel & Miles X-Plain the X-Men is easily my favorite podcast, but actually reading some of the story arcs after they discussed them on the show was a bit of a letdown. I get that they are fans first and that way too much of comic fandom is about complaining instead of enjoying, but it still sometimes creates an odd dissonance.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
My favorite review podcast is Mike and Tom Eat Snacks. They follow a standard outline for each episode, the PER System.
Pick a snack
Eat a snack
Rate a snack.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

No, it really isn't. The terribad book Revan is KOTOR 3, and it loving sucks because you don't hire video game scriptwriters to write loving novels. The Jedi Exile's true name is Meetra Surik, and Revan has a kid named Vaner.

The Vaner thing is silly, but "Meetra Surik" doesn't sound any worse than the goofy names in every other Star Wars thing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Idran posted:

The Vaner thing is silly, but "Meetra Surik" doesn't sound any worse than the goofy names in every other Star Wars thing.

The book still sucks though.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Infamous Sphere posted:

Alison - excellent review of LIFE SIZE, what the hell was that movie. I've never seen any of Next Top Model, so the clips from it looked absolutely insane - but I have heard a podcast where they talked about her book Modelland, and it was certainly something else.
Has the Mitch Buchanan doll appeared in any other videos or was that a new acquisition that we haven't seen before?

Thanks! In case you had any doubt about Tyra's vanity, one season of Next Top Model had its finale shoot centered around Modelland, where the models had to become her self-insert Mary-Sue character in her nutso Model-cat(?) world. I've seen every season and it can get absolutely hilarious at times. While not as funny but equally vain, an entire episode was built up to hype the end, which, instead of being a judging panel, was Tyra doing a DNA test to see where her ancestors came from.

I believe I showed the Mitch doll in the end of my Witchcraft 13 review, I've had it for a bit. It was a gift from Phelan!

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Senerio posted:

My favorite review podcast is Mike and Tom Eat Snacks. They follow a standard outline for each episode, the PER System.
Pick a snack
Eat a snack
Rate a snack.

That and the respect for women make me glad to be a viewer

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I'm gonna miss ANTM. The newest and last season is such a trainwreck.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I've been watching Max Landis's stuff, and on so many levels he's Spoony if he got therapy (and also became a successful screenwriter).

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Speaking of, we are now up to TWO months without Spoony releasing any content, scripted or otherwise, still makes three times that of a retail employee.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Miss Wallace posted:

Thanks! In case you had any doubt about Tyra's vanity, one season of Next Top Model had its finale shoot centered around Modelland, where the models had to become her self-insert Mary-Sue character in her nutso Model-cat(?) world.

Did they subject the contestants to the song?

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

High Warlord Zog posted:

Did they subject the contestants to the song?

I don't recall at the moment, but if it's horrible and Tyra-themed, probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I hope you guys are talking about the modelland theme song .

• Locked thread