Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Splizwarf posted:

This is standard practice across all industries for enterprise software support. Under $200 is a good deal.

This. Any enterprise software will have paid support in one way or another - either you pay a monthly/annual fee to be able to call in support, you pay the vendor directly per call, or you go to a 3rd party company and pay them for their support, which may be better or worse than the SW vendor's support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Also in case anyone was wondering, Digital Dining is the shittiest POS I've used yet

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

pile of brown posted:

Also in case anyone was wondering, Digital Dining is the shittiest POS I've used yet

Positouch. Never even heard of digital dining.

Aloha rules, just gotta manage it right.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Now that I am the one who programs Micros, Micros rules.

POSLavu, Breadcrumb, Digital Dining, Squirrel and Hotelogix can suck it.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

pile of brown posted:

Yeah, this is the one that rerouted tickets from the kitchen to the office printer. Truly awful.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Shooting Blanks posted:

Yeah, this is the one that rerouted tickets from the kitchen to the office printer. Truly awful.

That goes all the way around from frustrating to impressive, actually

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Now that I am the one who programs Micros, Micros rules.

POSLavu, Breadcrumb, Digital Dining, Squirrel and Hotelogix can suck it.

I liked Micros, but we just switched to Pixel a year ago. I wanna go back.

[Edit]: anyone use inventory systems like Optimum Control? Is there a way to make them less frustrating?

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I just googled optimum control, seems like it's a Canadian thing? I've never heard of any of the restaurants listed.

We use CTUIT's RADAR for sales tracking and I use Bevager for liquor/beer ordering, pricing and inventory. Wine program uses excel to track orders/POs/cost for a ~1000 bottle program. I think that's what the chefs use too, but I'm not positive. The food side is crazy complicated because we do high volume fine dining, have two locations operating five separate revenue streams and have a million small purveyors as well as producing sausages/charcuterie that's sold to other restos . I do not envy the office manager/accounting people because the sheer number of invoices we receive and send out is mind boggling.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
We're old school, hand written tickets and checks, the whole nine yards. No idea why the owner refuses to use a POS system, but for a place as small as ours I guess its not really necessary. I just feel bad for the cooks since as far as I know the only person in the entire restaurant with legible handwriting is one of the dishwashers.

MacMillan
Dec 21, 2013

You're just the afterbirth, Eli. You slithered out on your mother's filth. They should have put you in a glass jar on a mantlepiece.
We use IOS based system (Lavu) and its god awful. poo poo will randomly not print tickets to the bar or kitchen, and we need physical calculators to split checks which is something I haven't done since the early 2000s. Oh the kicker is that we rely on time warner to give us a reliable connection at all times, you can guess what happens periodically throughout the week.

One thing I appreciate is that while it lacks functionality, the ability to move around with your POS is a cool perk.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

virinvictus posted:

I liked Micros, but we just switched to Pixel a year ago. I wanna go back.

[Edit]: anyone use inventory systems like Optimum Control? Is there a way to make them less frustrating?

I've got experience with Optimum at a medium sized restaurant (70-100k sales/week) and FoodTrak at both a smaller and similarly sized restaurant. My ex girlfriend was in charge of transitioning a restaurant group of 7 restaurants over from FoodTrac to Optimum while we were dating, and I helped her out with quite a bit. It's been a couple years, but if you have any specific questions I might be able to help. Let me know. The main way to have OC not be frustrating is to also use Micros as your POS system, link those bitches up, and let Micros do a lot of your work and report generating for you. Then again, that poo poo is expensive.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

We're old school, hand written tickets and checks, the whole nine yards. No idea why the owner refuses to use a POS system, but for a place as small as ours I guess its not really necessary. I just feel bad for the cooks since as far as I know the only person in the entire restaurant with legible handwriting is one of the dishwashers.

It's really easy to cheat on your taxes without a POS, however it's also really easy for employees to steal food and booze and not charge friends for meals.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Naelyan posted:

I've got experience with Optimum at a medium sized restaurant (70-100k sales/week) and FoodTrak at both a smaller and similarly sized restaurant. My ex girlfriend was in charge of transitioning a restaurant group of 7 restaurants over from FoodTrac to Optimum while we were dating, and I helped her out with quite a bit. It's been a couple years, but if you have any specific questions I might be able to help. Let me know. The main way to have OC not be frustrating is to also use Micros as your POS system, link those bitches up, and let Micros do a lot of your work and report generating for you. Then again, that poo poo is expensive.

Pixel links with Optimum, but there are weird accountability errors that we've been coming across for months now. Controlled waste, firing people for food theft, and tighter control on portioning has barely fixed these issues. Gravy is nearly impossible to track, as are chicken wings. We do weekly inventories, and daily inventories of product that appears off - and these numbers vary wildly from day to day.

I think the main problem is that some product is handled through count, some through weight. And Pixel doesn't allow us to do specials, like an all-you-can-eat without extensive tracking (which hasn't been done, but I'm just the man between management and line).

It's a frustrating morning when head office complains about product we've been watching like a hawk. It's likes running in place to win a race everyone got a head start on.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
We use aloha and you can tell the servers with senses of humor. We had an asain salad with fried wontons on it. We still have the ticket hanging with "Xtra wutang" hanging on the cooler.

Right now we're taking bets on whether we'll close before sous finishes inventory. We apparently had 80 on the books this morning. We're down to a 9 top. Everyone else cancelled. The 9 top is med students and it's a house charge, so they will probably be crazy enough to show up.

E:so maybe a 20 top didn't cancel. Or at least if they did cancel the memo didn't go out to the 20 people that are showing up. So that will at least keep us here until 8...

Dr Jankenstein fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 1, 2015

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I always liked writing notes to the cooks when there were a lot of mods on a ticket. "Sorry guys" or "Have it your way" or whatever. I have a friend from that job who would start writing flirtatious notes to the chef when it was slow because he was a really nice guy and would get all flustered and embarrassed about it. That owned.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Skwirl posted:

It's really easy to cheat on your taxes without a POS, however it's also really easy for employees to steal food and booze and not charge friends for meals.

Yeah the owner has a ... whimsical view of tax laws. Thank god he got burned on that years ago and now he's much better, I think his accountant is keeping him in check, but I wouldn't be surprised if our tax reports showed significantly fewer cash checks than we actually have.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
SpeedLine

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
Whimsy sounds like the best tool with which to do taxes.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
"Close enough" is the unofficial motto of the IRS

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
They're just happy if you're not ripping them off outrageously, or paying Congress to make your tax evasion legal.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The IRS is mostly occupied with panicking about the fact that they have to let go even more employees each year and are now working with about a 20% operating budget. IRS: the line cooks of the federal government.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Hey! Hey. Hi. gently caress inventory.

Xoxo,
The guy who has to estimate how much of my coffee you drank.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Discendo Vox posted:

The IRS is mostly occupied with panicking about the fact that they have to let go even more employees each year and are now working with about a 20% operating budget. IRS: the line cooks of the federal government.

Ha, just like OSHA. :hfive:

Well, OSHA is actually more like front of house, as 90%+ of their operating budget is the previous year's fines!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
That's a great metaphor- I look forward to sharing it with them.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Hooray workplace theft adventures!

:barf:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Trebuchet King posted:

Hooray workplace theft adventures!

:barf:

Speaking of which, the owner of an Athens, GA bistro took everything of value and ran. http://onlineathens.com/mobile/2015-12-01/east-west-bistro-downtown-athens-closed-after-owner-walks-out

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Well, that makes me feel better.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

Safety Dance posted:

Speaking of which, the owner of an Athens, GA bistro took everything of value and ran. http://onlineathens.com/mobile/2015-12-01/east-west-bistro-downtown-athens-closed-after-owner-walks-out

Oh Athens, never change.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

No guys, I totally wanted to re-arrange the back half of my restaurant for cocktail-style mingling and stay two hours longer than usual only to have 8 of the 40 you had on the books show up. Thats totally great.

:suicide:

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Bussamove posted:

No guys, I totally wanted to re-arrange the back half of my restaurant for cocktail-style mingling and stay two hours longer than usual only to have 8 of the 40 you had on the books show up. Thats totally great.

Did you get their money first?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Nope! But I'm just a busser so I do what I'm told and just bitch about it with the equally pissed off servers after the fact.

They all had maybe $20 checks each too. What a shitshow that was.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I really wish our POS was more versatile. Having to do dollar-amount discounts to get the correct price on specials is time-consuming and most people can't do basic math or even notice the Discount line on their bill. This leads to things like people throwing a fit until even the sales tax is comped from their bill.

Bussamove posted:

Exactly opposite to your situation, we recently had a party of "40" show up with 80 people during Saturday night dinner rush, throw a fit because we couldn't kick half of the dining room out in order to seat them a certain way, and cuss out every staff member waiting on them. Then several of them demanded discounts/comps because they didn't all eighty of them get their entrees at the exact same time. :allears:

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Vorenus posted:

Exactly opposite to your situation, we recently had a party of "40" show up with 80 people during Saturday night dinner rush, throw a fit because we couldn't kick half of the dining room out in order to seat them a certain way, and cuss out every staff member waiting on them. Then several of them demanded discounts/comps because they didn't all eighty of them get their entrees at the exact same time. :allears:

I love the holidays. Also I hope the owner told them to go gently caress themselves.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

I love the holidays. Also I hope the owner told them to go gently caress themselves.

Nope. We just put four or five servers on that party, tore half of the staff's sections apart, and let a chunk of the servers leave with less than $50 for the night because we only have one hostess who can understand rotation under the best circumstances.

"We don't have anywhere to seat you Vorenus"

Then cut me and send me home. My work ethic does not extend to playing food runner/server assistant for minimum wage while I go up to an hour without being seated.

vvvv: Actually one of the hourly managers did tell them off a bit, she's one of those people who has made an art form of telling people to suck it in such a polite and professional fashion that they have no recourse but to, well, suck it.

Morbid Fiesta
Dec 20, 2008

Craiglist posted:

" restaurant is looking for an experienced, clean, grill cook. Must be customer service oriented, and have the ability to handle a fast paced work environment. If interested please email str8rimmer, please include resume and/or work experience and contact information. If you are considered for the position you will be emailed within 24 hours of receiving your information. Position is paid weekly. Salary will be based on experience and/or performance... bring your A game."
This can't be for real right?

This is either the gayest restaurant in town or somebody has no idea what constitutes a professional email address.

I just sent them my c/v

:cumpolice:

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Vorenus posted:

vvvv: Actually one of the hourly managers did tell them off a bit, she's one of those people who has made an art form of telling people to suck it in such a polite and professional fashion that they have no recourse but to, well, suck it.

Our owner is great at that, my favorite line of his is, "Well it sounds like you have very specific ideas of how your evening should go, I don't want to upset those so maybe you should look elsewhere". This is generally when someone is arguing that they HAVE to have a 7:00 rather than a 7:30 reservation and they don't care if we're not going to have a table then.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Our owner is great at that, my favorite line of his is, "Well it sounds like you have very specific ideas of how your evening should go, I don't want to upset those so maybe you should look elsewhere". This is generally when someone is arguing that they HAVE to have a 7:00 rather than a 7:30 reservation and they don't care if we're not going to have a table then.

See, our mgmt will just give someone that 7:30 reservation and they get sat whenever we can squeeze them in. :shrug:

Morbid Fiesta posted:

This can't be for real right?

This is either the gayest restaurant in town or somebody has no idea what constitutes a professional email address.

I just sent them my c/v

:cumpolice:

Most CL job postings are a joke, but this one is actually funny.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Vorenus posted:

See, our mgmt will just give someone that 7:30 reservation and they get sat whenever we can squeeze them in. :shrug:

We're a really small place (seat up to about 48) so there's not a huge amount of room for people to wait around. Any more than 2-3 tables waiting and suddenly no one has room to walk, let alone walk through with a tray of food.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
So we closed an hour early on Monday cause there was snowmageddon pt 2. Yesterday we closed an hour and a half early not by choice.

Full rail of tickets and the hood vent decides to poo poo itself. Fun! We killed the grill asap, finished the tickets as pan seared steaks with a jerry rigged fan system and called it.

At least awesome does not give no fucks manager came back from maternity leave and was running FoH.

Of course since I'm pantry, just as I'm checking everything to be good to leave I hear "AA are you still on the clock?" "yes..." "cool, I have a couple of desserts"... Seven desserts later, including 4 of our overly complicated feature desserts, I got an extra 10 minutes on my paycheck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

We're a really small place (seat up to about 48) so there's not a huge amount of room for people to wait around. Any more than 2-3 tables waiting and suddenly no one has room to walk, let alone walk through with a tray of food.

God that sounds blissful. My DFAC seats 300-ish, and we'll probably do 1000 people for 90 minutes of breakfast service this Saturday. Half of one of dining rooms is cut off for Xmas displays, so we're actually seating 200 with 300+ volume right now.

I'm... I'm starting to break, industry thread. Does "washing 32 plates a minute while also wiping down tables and checking soda lines" translate into anything meaningful when moving to another job?

Or if you own/manage a food gig in Hampton Roads and want a dishwasher/prep who speaks English & Spanish and is used to hell on earth, I'm here waiting for you.

• Locked thread