Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
They're known for... sketchy quality. The first runs are usually bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's because Saitek's quality is a tossup as to whether you'll get a good stick or a "forced to RMA" pile.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Literally Kermit posted:

Hey Nostalgia4Infinity, does that crate have a detailed surface scanner on it? Head on over to Betelgeuse 2, you won't regret it

I just need to know the surface temp and I am stuck at work and I will literally die if I do not know soon :jiggled:

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

I like a nice pair of slacks.
Trying to download the beta and it keeps failing while it's trying to sync files. Woe is me.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

TorakFade posted:

So now that my hopes of a good Cobra Mk IV are crushed :frontear: I'll have to come up with new ideas for a multirole gently caress-around ship... something that can haul a rover, big jump range, decent cargo space and combat capabilities. I'm guessing the Asp is the best suited... it's the only one with enough internals to fit all the stuff I'd want (AFM, rover, 16+ cargo space, fuel scoop) and still be able to somehow fight and jump decent distances. Or the good ol' Cobra mk III ...

the thing I look forward to is having 90 ammo on the space shotgun. With the nerfs to energy weapons' ability to gently caress up hulls, the good old twin pulse laser Vulture will need a facelift: I was thinking about c3 beam + c3 cannon as has been suggested many times, but I think that with the Vulture's ability to glue itself to any other ship's rear end, a 90 ammo frag cannon could juuuust be what I need :getin:

How to design Variants of Existing Ships,
By Frontier

Step 1: Take the defining characteristic of the base craft and remove it
Step 2: Nerf Agility and Speed, 'cause gently caress you
Step 3: Add a superfluous bonus that is meaningless in the ships intended role
Step 4: Ignore Feedback

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

100% Metal indeed. Thanks man, hope you liked the payoff!

If you are feeling frisky, there's the bright O-star in the middle of the Spirograph Nebula. But everything and I mean EVERYTHING in that system is bright beautiful blue.

Oh here it is!

Landable and blue and RINGS.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Literally Kermit posted:

100% Metal indeed. Thanks man, hope you liked the payoff!

If you are feeling frisky, there's the bright O-star in the middle of the Spirograph Nebula. But everything and I mean EVERYTHING in that system is bright beautiful blue.

Oh here it is!

Landable and blue and RINGS.

Already back in the bubble, bud sorry :(

That being said, flying around Mitterand Hollow is a surreal experience.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

KakerMix posted:

15 second nights here @ Mitterand Hollow, orbiting New Africa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aukc7gky9ik

Goddamn this game

loving hell.

Also for PvE bounty busting, how do rail guns stack up to cannons?

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
I got a notification from amazon that my hard drives were waylaid during shipping and I'm SO loving MAD about it seeing all of you assholes in the beta with complete computers that can turn on.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Capn Beeb posted:

loving hell.

Also for PvE bounty busting, how do rail guns stack up to cannons?

Railguns are easier to hit with, cannons don't overheat you. If this is for that beam/cannon Vulture loadout you mentioned earlier, I'd keep the cannon because with a railgun you'd have two high-heat weapons, plus I'm willing to bet a C3 cannon does more damage than a C2 railgun (I don't think there are C3 railguns).

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The news about the Cobra MK IV is very disappointing. :(

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The news about the Cobra MK IV is very disappointing. :(

Yeah 8 internal slots is a huge disappointment

It s my official new ship forever

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here
So I finally figured out how points of interest work. Basically just fly above the surface of a planet, not in orbital cruise, and not in glide mode, just fly. I tend to have more luck at higher altitudes above around 5KM, but eventually a dark blue circle will appear on your radar. As you get closer to it, it will shrink, and you want to land in that circle and deploy your SRV. Then something will appear on the SRV's wave scanner.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I've played some of the game today, and blew up my ship after running out of fuel cause I didn't pay attention. Game's pretty fun so far, and every time I come out of a jump I'm surprised by the star in front of me. Guess I should join goon stuff now.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If there's anything the 1.5 beta taught me it's that I'm a better shot with rails if my Rail Viper is a MkIV, not a MkIII. So, woo! More internals means I've got a new mission runner!

I think I might even mothball the SHINY AND CHROME Vulture for a while, because the Viper (both styles) is just too much fun.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Shine posted:

Railguns are easier to hit with, cannons don't overheat you. If this is for that beam/cannon Vulture loadout you mentioned earlier, I'd keep the cannon because with a railgun you'd have two high-heat weapons, plus I'm willing to bet a C3 cannon does more damage than a C2 railgun (I don't think there are C3 railguns).

I always forget about heat :downsgun:

Also I hit up a high intensity resource site outside of Zhen Dock, twenty minutes later I deposited 750k space credits :stare:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Literally Kermit posted:

Yeah 8 internal slots is a huge disappointment

It s my official new ship forever

Wait, what? Did I miss something? People were saying it had the same as the Cobra III.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Wait, what? Did I miss something? People were saying it had the same as the Cobra III.

People were wrong and jumped to conclusions :shrug:

Also in undocumented change news, the Keelback got some tweaks to its cockpit:

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Somehow, I had an entire Python disappear whilst exploring a moon. The ship was landed very close to a stationary base (not trespassing). The moon rover seems a bit buggy. What is the projected release date of 2.0? I think it needs quite a bit more refinement.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Vahalla posted:

This is from a page or two back, but I had the opposite experience. Flew out at penniless, and the next time I went back to Robigo I had merchant from that one run, and was able to make several times the payout. Just had to mission scum for a bit longer to get stuff at penniless. Ymmv though.

I assume Robigo has been nerfed?

Men Toes
Dec 18, 2002

pig friar
Hey y'all,

I've been playing Elite since it was on the C64 and am loving the Xbone port of the newest game.

This is going to totally sound like a singles ad, but if you are on XBL and would like to cruise around with me in Elite - or do your own thing, whatever, friend me up at DrTed77.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

sincx posted:

You assume incorrectly.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

sincx posted:

Robigo won't be "nerfed" until 1.5 goes live, I believe, which has not happened yet. Even then as mentioned recently, it's not a straight nerf but rather a change, much higher risk with higher? reward. I'm currently turning in 40m~ in Robigo missions.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Helter Skelter posted:

You assume incorrectly.

Excellent. I have one night at home tomorrow between two long trips. I'm tempted to stay up all night running Robigo and then sleep on the plane the next day.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
I like the changes to bounty hunting.

I like them a lot. :catstare:

Also what's the trick to refreshing the bulletin board jobs so you get cargo runs?

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Capn Beeb posted:

I like the changes to bounty hunting.

I like them a lot. :catstare:

Also what's the trick to refreshing the bulletin board jobs so you get cargo runs?

What are the changes to bounty hunting?

You can refresh the bulletin board by exiting to the main menu, starting a new session, and then picking Solo if you were in Open, or vice versa. It puts you in a new instance and closes your old one.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Zaardvark posted:

What are the changes to bounty hunting?

You can refresh the bulletin board by exiting to the main menu, starting a new session, and then picking Solo if you were in Open, or vice versa. It puts you in a new instance and closes your old one.

Cool :)

Also the changes are me having been away for a long time and poo poo paying out a whole hell of a lot more now :v:

It's fun baiting big ships into fighting me with my Space Poultry bros ready to pounce on 'em. Although an Anaconda almost wasted me so I had to hide around asteroids then swoop in at the final stretch and pelt it with a few cannon rounds to get the kill credit. I mean, my ship is a Vulture after all. Gotta play to that namesake.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Well it looks like my poo poo laptop has finally met its match with Horizons :( I've been letting the beta load for 15 minutes and the only thing up for the game's main menu is the "training" button.

It was only a matter of time, really. I guess I'll have to start saving for a new rig in the future.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Having seen screenshots of the Cobra IV's setup, its not a bad ship I guess. But I can't get excited over it. Its just too slow compared to the original (200/300 speed/boost vs the Mk3's 280/400). I'd have gladly traded one of those extra class 4s and maybe one of the class 3s to retain the Mk 3 Cobra's speed. I could live with the lesser maneuverability, but I gotta go fast.

Guess I always saw the Cobra as a space hot-rod.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I spent my evening driving around random planets, stopping to shoot up the occasional hostile base. It's fun to use the SRV booster to pop up over a crest, open fire on a turret, and then fall back behind cover.

Vroom vroom vroom.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
http://gfycat.com/ChubbyIncomparableBallpython

Electrophotonic
Mar 14, 2010

They're gonna stop
Saturday night
So you better have fun now
I PREDICT

Horizons with the RIft is one hell of a drug :pcgaming:. Side effects may include vomiting when planets decide to lag you the gently caress out.

Though it seems 1.5 removed support for recentering the viewpoint.

E: ^ What are those, probe droids?

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

Electrophotonic posted:

E: ^ What are those, probe droids?

Skimmers. So basically yes.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Hey Kermit, you wanted pictures of the crater on Merope, right? :getin:

Guest starring Barnard's Loop, the Milky Way and Frog.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Mercurius posted:

Hey Kermit, you wanted pictures of the crater on Merope, right? :getin:

Guest starring Barnard's Loop, the Milky Way and Frog.

The Frog Star! :swoon:

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

What control setup is everyone using for the space jalopy?

Nice attention to detail as usual. The transition between radar and surface projection when you fly close to the surface is sweet.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

:swoon:

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Anyone figure out how to use datapoints? The datalink scanner button does nothing for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Can I do anything interesting with my Anaconda yet? Can I land it next to a church in London or something like in the original Frontier?

• Locked thread