Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
It seems like a pump action rifle might be faster to operate than a traditional bolt action, or even a straight pull bolt action. Is there any record of pump action rifles being tested by militaries of the past?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Kanine posted:

It seems like a pump action rifle might be faster to operate than a traditional bolt action, or even a straight pull bolt action. Is there any record of pump action rifles being tested by militaries of the past?

Henrys Repeaters got some civil war action and Indian war action. I can't recall any pumps. Now I'm curious.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Kafouille posted:

The 45mm guns had terrible ammo quality problems early in the war, it's not propaganda.

Did not know this, I retract my emote.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Slavvy posted:

Skipped to a random bit in the first video. After a bit of a thing about how the t28 was hopelessly under-armoured and under-gunned you get:

"The poorly designed soviet shells meant that many simply shattered without piercing the german armour." :rolleyes:

The T-28 was pretty old by that point, similar in armour and armament to early PzIVs, but much larger. Also yes, there was an issue with 45 mm shell quality against overmatching armour in the early war.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Polikarpov posted:

There were tons of wacky schemes for converting Iowas, and they were all abandoned because its way cheaper to build and operate a ship designed for those roles.

We kept them running for so long only because we had deep warehouses to empty, and we pretty much stripped the battleship museums for parts. My father was a FC petty officer on the New Jersey in the 80s and he's got tons of stories about ordering replacement parts for various legacy systems and getting cardboard boxes shipped to him from pretty much every North Carolina or South Dakota class battleship museum in the country.

Edit: Fun fact, we parted out the uncompleted Kentucky. Its bow went to the Missouri after it had a collision with a DD, the boilers and turbines lived on to power the two Sacramento class AOEs.

Yeah, but in some alternate universe, the nuclear powered Iowa launches harriers for air support while a battery of 16" guns fire nuclear shells at a distant land target. As the camera pans out, a regiment of marines slowly make their way towards shore.

Edit: Probably the fallout universe.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Saint Celestine posted:

Yeah, but in some alternate universe, the nuclear powered Iowa launches harriers for air support while a battery of 16" guns fire nuclear shells at a distant land target. As the camera pans out, a regiment of marines slowly make their way towards shore.

Edit: Probably the fallout universe.

A world in which Raytheon is a kitchenware company instead of a missile maker.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kanine posted:

None as far as I know. In fact, pump-action rifles themselves are pretty uncommon and generally exclusive to either hunting rifles or .22 caliber shooting gallery pieces.

My guess would be differing needs. Shotguns are commonly pump-action because you often need to fire rapid follow-up shots, such as blasting a flight of birds out of the sky. Military rifles of the day didn't really need to be able to fire fast, just accurately. A bolt-action rifle can be made incredibly strong with ease and give a nice positive extraction when you yank the bolt back. In fact, in the late 19th and early 20th century it was so vogue to focus on carefully aimed single shots that many military rifles designed at the time had a magazine cutoff: you flip a switch and the rifle no longer loads from the magazine. The magazine was meant to be kept in reserve in case of an emergency like suddenly being overrun and getting into closer combat.

I believe pump-action guns are also more complex and expensive than bolt-actions and much more finicky to get working reliably, as you have the forend connected to action bars that push and pull the bolt instead of just a handle attached to the bolt.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Wouldn't a pump action put more force n the front end of the rifle, and thus take you further off-target for follow-up shots than bolt/lever action?

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Kanine posted:

I can't find anything on pump actions either, but there's an article on lever-actions at war and why they weren't used more often. I expect most of the advantages for bolt guns will hold compared to pump-action, particularly the tubular magazine and stronger action.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Kanine posted:

I can't imagine what a pump-action would have as an advantage over a straight pull bolt action rifle.

The pump action would be more complex to build (than a bolt action mechanism), restrict the user from using a rest (since s/he would have to lift the rifle to load a new round). Pump action would also make it way more vulnerable to dirt and grime.

Edit: Thinking about it, how would reloading work exactly? Tube magazine under the barrel? Requires a huge redesign, adding a lot more weight in wood (or leave the tube exposed). Your tube magazine might not hold a large amount of rounds anyways, or is slower to reload then magazine/stripper clip. And don't forget about issues with pointy bullets in tube magazines...

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Dec 1, 2015

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Xander77 posted:

Apparently my step-grandfather was an air gunner on bomber planes during WWII (Red Army). Given his recent health issues (and the fact that he's 95), if I want to ask him anything, now is probably as good a time as any.

Anything you guys in the thread would like to know? General questions worth asking?
Right, so:

He's 96 years old, and is more interested in reminiscing about recent family feuds than ancient history. What I managed to get was fairly scattershot, and basically date free.

As the war broke out, he was taken directly out of navigator school, and thrust into the gunner position. None of the skills involved were transferable, and he didn't even get an hour's worth of training / explanations.

He flew on a Douglas (C47?). Much better and softer seats than on the similar Russian planes. The recoil from the guns was quite painful, particularly for someone who had received no training.

He had to bail out of a burning plane, and was rescued by partisans. I first thought he meant "the plane was shot down by partisans", and reviewing the video footage, that's kinda what he said, but I rather doubt that was actually the case.

He fractured his shoulder... at some point, for some reason, and his fingers still don't bend properly. His major wound was taken while transporting ammunition crates, by hand, in the airfield. A crate was thrown at him (?) and took him below the knee, breaking his foot.

He made the mistake of leaving the hospital without his papers and ID (?) to rejoin his comrades before he was declared fit for duty (this is mostly a guesstimate). His unit moved on, and he was left behind as a part of the airfield crew, guarding and maintaining the planes. I suppose that happened fairly early in the war, because he doesn't have any combat stories.

His airfield did get bombed every once in a while, and they had to dig trenches and covers. They also took shots at bombing planes with rifles and machine guns, but that's a tough target even if you have some training.

I recorded the interview, and could probably upload it somewhere once I delete all the family feud stuff? It's in Russian though, so not sure how interesting it would be.

Edit - Oh yeah, and he was everywhere, moving with the army. Ukraine, Belarus, Poland. He got a medal and a written commendation from some sort of a Belorussian veteran association on the 70th anniversary of the war, with the thanks of a grateful people, and a printed signature of Lukashenko. He values that poo poo greatly.

In completely unrelated news. Reading through the Sharpe series, there's a lot of "those (Napoleonic) French columns are only good for scaring poo poo armies with their perceived numbers. The line formation is far superior for pouring out firepower, which is why we use it, and the French are stupid for not doing so."

True / False?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Dec 1, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Xander77 posted:

Right, so:

He's 96 years old, and is more interested in reminiscing about recent family feuds than ancient history. What I managed to get was fairly scattershot, and basically date free.

As the war broke out, he was taken directly out of navigator school, and thrust into the gunner position. None of the skills involved were transferable, and he didn't even get an hour's worth of training / explanations.

He flew on a Douglas (C47?). Much better and softer seats than on the similar Russian planes. The recoil from the guns was quite painful, particularly for someone who had received no training.

He had to bail out of a burning plane, and was rescued by partisans. I first thought he meant "the plane was shot down by partisans", and reviewing the video footage, that's kinda what he said, but I rather doubt that was actually the case.

He fractured his shoulder... at some point, for some reason, and his fingers still don't bend properly. His major wound was taken while transporting ammunition crates, by hand, in the airfield. A crate was thrown at him (?) and took him below the knee, breaking his foot.

He made the mistake of leaving the hospital without his papers and ID (?) to rejoin his comrades before he was declared fit for duty (this is mostly a guesstimate). His unit moved on, and he was left behind as a part of the airfield crew, guarding and maintaining the planes. I suppose that happened fairly early in the war, because he doesn't have any combat stories.

His airfield did get bombed every once in a while, and they had to dig trenches and covers. They also took shots at bombing planes with rifles and machine guns, but that's a tough target even if you have some training.

I recorded the interview, and could probably upload it somewhere once I delete all the family feud stuff? It's in Russian though, so not sure how interesting it would be.

Sounds like he actually flew in the Li-2, basically a C-47 but with armament. Pretty cool!

If he was shot down over enemy territory, it could easily have been friendly partisan troops that helped him.

Honestly, uploading it to youtube might be neat, but you should see if there are any websites/museums looking for that sort of item.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I think one thing people didn't mention is that the bolt action is possibly more convenient to work and more reliable from a prone position.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
A big thing is that bolt actions are very simple to troubleshoot if something goes wrong, you have direct control over the action and it's right there where you can see it, and in extreme cases you can hammer the stupid thing out if poo poo gets stuck. On a pump action if something goes wrong you can try to pump it again with little leverage, or disassemble it. Not ideal for combat.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Xander77 posted:

In completely unrelated news. Reading through the Sharpe series, there's a lot of "those (Napoleonic) French columns are only good for scaring poo poo armies with their perceived numbers. The line formation is far superior for pouring out firepower, which is why we use it, and the French are stupid for not doing so."

True / False?

Well, the column was specifically introduced in the early French Revolutionary armies because it required a lot less training compared to line-only 18th century style warfare, so there's that. Napoleonic French armies were perfectly capable of fighting in line too, though.

B-person
Oct 29, 2010
So I stumbled upon this article on The Atlantic about this thread's favourite historian and his newest book :v:

The Key to Henry Kissinger’s Success

The statesman understood something most diplomats don’t: history—and how to apply it.

Niall Ferguson has crafted his biography of Kissinger not only as the definitive account of an incredible personal and intellectual odyssey, but also as an opportunity to initiate a debate about the importance of history in statecraft. The book plants a flag for a project in “Applied History,”... By Applied History we mean the explicit attempt to illuminate current policy challenges by analyzing historical precedents and analogues.

How does Kissinger apply history? Subtly and cautiously, recognizing that its proper application requires both imagination and judgment. As Kissinger put it, “History is not … a cookbook offering pretested recipes. It teaches by analogy, not by maxims.” History “can illuminate the consequences of actions in comparable situations.” But—and here is the key—for it to do so, “each generation must discover for itself what situations are in fact comparable.”

Ferguson is fawning way too much over Kissinger and Kissinger's “Applied History,” :ohdear: seem to be very informed by "Great Man" and Realist theories (which maybe isn't that surprising). What I found most interesting was this passage:

“In researching the life and times of Henry Kissinger, I have come to realize that my approach was unsubtle. In particular, I had missed the crucial importance in American foreign policy of the history deficit: The fact that key decision-makers know almost nothing not just of other countries’ pasts but also of their own. Worse, they often do not see what is wrong with their ignorance.”

Is this true, does the U.S have a 'quote unquote' history deficiency when it comes to foreign policy and what about other countries, are they any better? Also I understand the need for contextualising events when you analyse them but Kissinger's approach seem to be: These current events sort of resemble past events and may play out sort of the same way but they may also be totally different. You can't really know for sure so just go with your gut? :shrug:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The French fought in line. Bayonet charges in column happened in rare instances at the start of the revolutionary wars when the French army was suddenly full of untrained conscripts and towards the end of the Napoleonic wars when he ran out of quality soldiers and had to rely on the same.

The British certainly engaged French formations while they were in column a fair bit, but that's because Wellington's favourite tactic was to take up a reverse slope position, wait until the French had marched almost to the top in column, then suddenly advance over the crest and attack before they had any time to deploy into line.

Finally, there's a difference between a battalion in marching column formation, and a division structured into an attack column of several battalions in line stacked up one after the other. The second is really people fighting in line but with shitloads of reserves massed at one point to keep up momentum and exploit the breach in the enemy line when it happens.

For more reading material see: http://www.napolun.com/mirror/napoleonistyka.atspace.com/infantry_tactics_4.htm

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Xerxes17 did a bunch of good posts about Russian tank development that covered the T-64, T-72, and T-80. He even talks about the naming stuff.

Basically, there was a lot of weird departmental politics involved. Names that ended in "4" were associated with the Kharkov bureau for example.

There was an attempt by the Russian government to establish military settlements a la Romans, but naturally, the combination of administrative oversight and militarized peasantry resulted in several armed revolts that had to be put down with violence.

In Napoleonic times, the government was a bit more proactive, mostly thanks to that peasant-leader who had nearly destroyed the Russian Empire 40 years ago: When the peasant militias raised to help fight Napoleon weren't needed anymore, they were disarmed and the best fighters among them were rounded up and massacred.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

B-person posted:

Niall Ferguson

aaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I wish I could read a book on military history written 500 years into the future. I bet future schoolchildren will be looking down on today's tactics like we do on fighting in line.

"lolz they used computer networks to communicate information and thought that stealth aircraft is the shiznit; what total noobs"

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Polikarpov posted:

There were tons of wacky schemes for converting Iowas, and they were all abandoned because its way cheaper to build and operate a ship designed for those roles.

We kept them running for so long only because we had deep warehouses to empty, and we pretty much stripped the battleship museums for parts. My father was a FC petty officer on the New Jersey in the 80s and he's got tons of stories about ordering replacement parts for various legacy systems and getting cardboard boxes shipped to him from pretty much every North Carolina or South Dakota class battleship museum in the country.

Edit: Fun fact, we parted out the uncompleted Kentucky. Its bow went to the Missouri after it had a collision with a DD, the boilers and turbines lived on to power the two Sacramento class AOEs.

Sorry if we already talked about this, but I went to the Stevns Fort cold war underground fortress (here in Denmark) recently, and it turns out that they had the repossessed 15cm guns from the Gneisenau, used in a coastal battery! Even had the nazi crest and everything still on it.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Libluini posted:

When the peasant militias raised to help fight Napoleon weren't needed anymore, they were disarmed and the best fighters among them were rounded up and massacred.
Citation needed.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Xander77 posted:

Citation needed.

Adam Zamoyski, in "1812. Napoleon's Fatal March on Moscow", published by HarperCollins Publishers in 2004.

Do you need the page, too?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Just how big a nuclear shell would you need to be effective against a (buttoned up) armour column anyway?

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Libluini posted:

Adam Zamoyski, in "1812. Napoleon's Fatal March on Moscow", published by HarperCollins Publishers in 2004.

Do you need the page, too?

This thread is awesome.

What is the deets on this Ferguson character?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Hypha posted:

This thread is awesome.

What is the deets on this Ferguson character?

Have you ever found yourself wishing for an alternate universe where Imperial Germany had won WW1 and ruled over all of continental Europe, so that the British could have concentrated on maintaining their colonies through whatever means necessary in order to be stamping on brown faces to this day?

If so you might be Niall Ferguson.

Also he hates Muslims, and has really lovely ideas about economics.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Dec 1, 2015

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Xander77 posted:

He made the mistake of leaving the hospital without his papers and ID (?) to rejoin his comrades before he was declared fit for duty (this is mostly a guesstimate).

This is a thing that happened a lot. Also, people would sometimes escape the units they were reassigned to in order to rejoin their friends. This was a huge pain in the rear end for internal affairs, since these people weren't technically deserters, but it was hard to tell until you found them.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Have you ever found yourself wishing for an alternate universe where Imperial Germany had won WW1 and ruled over all of continental Europe, so that the British could have concentrated on maintaining their colonies through whatever means necessary in order to be stamping on brown faces to this day?

If so you might be Niall Ferguson.

Also he hates Muslims, and has really lovely ideas about economics.

I might regret asking this, but how in the swamp-dwelling zombie Christ would Imperial Germany winning World War 1 have kept the British Empire a going concern?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Nebakenezzer posted:

I might regret asking this, but how in the swamp-dwelling zombie Christ would Imperial Germany winning World War 1 have kept the British Empire a going concern?
The text you quoted pretty much has the answer to that question.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

An absence of Hitler, thus an absence of a (ruinously expensive for Britain) World War 2, and a remaining-isolationist America not interested in going into the global superpower business and pushing Britain to decolonise. Oh, and the Soviet Union is much less of a powerful thing too if Brest-Litovsk sticks.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Nebakenezzer posted:

Well you see it's all England's fault WW1 escalated into a world war and if they'd stayed out of it Germany would have won in short order, beaten France and Russia in 1914, formed something similar to the European Union and ruled over a peaceful democratic continent where fascism and communism could never take hold. Thus there would be no WW2 and all this rascally anti-colonialism would never have happened oh and did you know Imperial Germany was actually the most anti-militarist country on the continent at the time of WW1? Germany was waging a preventative war it was forced into!

These are things Niall Ferguson actually believes and I feel dirty as hell for writing it out.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I remember a book that has some very unprofessional bitching about military historians. I'm pretty sure that Neil Ferguson was one of the people that was name dropped. :laugh:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Libluini posted:

I read it in a book! :haw:

Good on you. You probably shouldn't believe everything you read, though.

The peasants were in fact forcefully disarmed when the war was over, but the "best fighters" among them got their medals and / or were given NCO ranks.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Xander77 posted:

The peasants were in fact forcefully disarmed when the war was over, but the "best fighters" among them got their medals and / or were given NCO ranks.

Instead you want me to believe some crazy guy on the internet, right on. :rolleyes:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Xander77 posted:

Did you interview these people yourself or did you also read it from somewhere, and if so, from where?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

The Lone Badger posted:

Just how big a nuclear shell would you need to be effective against a (buttoned up) armour column anyway?

How close is the impact and what formation is the column in?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

feedmegin posted:

An absence of Hitler, thus an absence of a (ruinously expensive for Britain) World War 2, and a remaining-isolationist America not interested in going into the global superpower business and pushing Britain to decolonise. Oh, and the Soviet Union is much less of a powerful thing too if Brest-Litovsk sticks.

They'd probably still start a war with Russia to contain Bolshevism later on, either via incitement by Bolshevik revolutionaries in Russia or unilaterally under the view that German Communist circles were proper arms of the Soviet government attempting to overthrow the Kaiser.

The hatred of communists was a pretty consistent thing between the Kaiser, the Weimar Republic, and the Nazi regime and it was one of the main ways Hitler rose to power since he kept promising to stick it to the Communists - especially after he lit the Reichstag on fire.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Isn't this ignoring that an Imperial Germany with access to additional resources and the addition of French colonies would be in direct competition with the British empire as a global hegemonic power?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

The Lone Badger posted:

You don't get a choice in how 'big' your nuclear shell will be! There are pretty hard limits on how much yield you can put into regularly fielded 152/155 or 203mm artillery, and if you want anything bigger then just put that baby on a missile. With tube-delivered nukes the physics package (its nuclear components) has to be pretty small, depressing potential yield, and its non-nuclear components will also be inefficient in helping criticality due to those same space constraints and the robustness needed. The US tested a 203mm gun-type weapon (like Little Boy) with a 40 kiloton yield, but seeing as how those are IIRC a bitch to stockpile and maintain I'd gather it's best to stick to more exotic implosion weapons (two-point linear) with vastly reduced explosive power. From what I can quickly gather you're looking at <1-2kt devices wrt 152/155mm arty.

Also, AFAIK tanks themselves are very hardy against nuclear attack - what with the story about that Australian Centurion surviving an 8.1kt test 500 yards out and being driven away under its own power afterwards. In order to fully 'destroy' AFVs at these kinds of distances you could use a bigger bomb, but effects suffer under the inverse square law so there's quickly diminishing returns. In the end you'd probably want to look into enhanced radiation weapons (ERWs aka 'Neutron Bombs') since the squishy meaty parts inside tanks and such cease functioning way quicker when under hard radiation bombardment than the non-living, breathing parts. Now you're into 'effects of modern armors and radiation liners on ERWs'-territory, which I'm sure is well covered in some 1980s articles out there.

I want to say a couple of hundred meters lethal radius for a regularly fielded, normal-sized nuclear shell? Then you'd have to look at standard groupings/formations to see what you'll be able to destroy with your bucket of sunshine.

e:

Jobbo_Fett posted:

How close is the impact and what formation is the column in?

What they said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

The hatred of communists was a pretty consistent thing between the Kaiser, the Weimar Republic, and the Nazi regime and it was one of the main ways Hitler rose to power since he kept promising to stick it to the Communists - especially after he lit the Reichstag on fire.

Imperial Germany specifically let Lenin into Russia on a sealed train in order to foment a revolution. Like, Imperial Germany was never going to be pro-Communist, but it wasn't viscerally opposed to it either, at least in someone else's country. No more so than the British or French governments, anyway, who were quite happy to trade with the USSR by the 20s. Given a much stronger Germany and a weakened Russia, Soviet Russia isn't going to be seen as (or indeed be) a particularly big threat, so I don't see a German invasion as long as Russia behaves itself.

• Locked thread