Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Humboldt Squid posted:

I've been there actually, it's Santuario nuestra seņora de Coromoto in Venezuela, near Guanare. You can't really tell from that picture but it's gigantic. it's always reminded me of some kind of rocket launching facility.

The interior is pretty brutal, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

joat mon posted:

i would not be thinking of god in a place like that. I'd be thinking of BEING IN SPACE IN THE FUTURE

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

joat mon posted:

I wonder what the acoustics are like in there. Lots of concrete, odd angles, that metalwork up high muddling everything, it's glorious.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

coldpudding posted:

That's a nice Czech hedgehog they have got there, perhaps the architect was trying to pay homage to ww2 German fortifications.

I thought it was part of the world's largest game of jacks.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Blistex posted:

I never imagined the Klingon homeworld having winter.
That is the very first thing I thought of as well.

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST

gender illusionist posted:

i would not be thinking of god in a place like that. I'd be thinking of BEING IN SPACE IN THE FUTURE

Yeah, but if you were a kid stuck in church, that would be the place to daydream away

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

gender illusionist posted:

Yeah, that's where god is too. That's why nobody has heard from him in awhile.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Furia posted:

Wait a loving minute, what would you do if you had a class at group 3 but you were not of the appropriate gender for the bathroom and there was already a class going on in group 2?
:psyduck:
Why take a detour around the whole building of course! Bathroom main hallway is unisex though with gendered stalls along the sides so you could always go through the corridor of piss stench if you wanted to.

Have an mspaint of that place:

Also pupils are only ever allowed to use the entrance nearest to their group. The yard doesn't actually have a separate entrance for group 1+2, I forgot to draw a line there. If you're in group 1 or 2 and come in through the western gate you need to go around the bottom and groups 3 through 8 coming in the eastern exit the same in the opposite direction.

E: And yes there was a lineup and headcount outside before going inside with the entire class so groups 1-3 couldn't cheat and use the entrance on the opposite side.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Collateral Damage posted:

How do they get in and out of the rooms? :v:

There's door holes, but no actual doors. So you can see and hear every single person walking down the hall. You can also hear the louder classes down the hall due to the paper thin interior walls.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Asehujiko posted:

Also pupils are only ever allowed to use the entrance nearest to their group. The yard doesn't actually have a separate entrance for group 1+2, I forgot to draw a line there. If you're in group 1 or 2 and come in through the western gate you need to go around the bottom and groups 3 through 8 coming in the eastern exit the same in the opposite direction.

E: And yes there was a lineup and headcount outside before going inside with the entire class so groups 1-3 couldn't cheat and use the entrance on the opposite side.

Was this a prison camp?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Default Settings posted:

Thought I'd just drop this link here: http://www.sosbrutalism.org

It's got a nice gallery with all sorts of concrete crazyness.

Edit: Especially nice: The Timeline of Brutalism

Goddamn brutalism is awful and soul crushing

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Saw this cool and normal thing near KL today.

I'm gonna start taking more photos of buildings in Malaysia I think

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Kurtofan posted:

Goddamn brutalism is awful and soul crushing

Nice wrong opinion.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Would this count as brutalist or would it be 'modern' or what?

Either way, that is/would be the perfect amount of green-gray balance for brutalism.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Nov 29, 2015

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Been exploring Brasilia.

Its a disaster but the architecture is brilliant.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Accretionist posted:

Would this count as brutalist or would it be 'modern' or what?

Either way, that is/would be the perfect amount of green-gray balance for brutalism.

Isn't that the house from Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kurtofan posted:

No.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
that house is extremely good hth

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Rule of thumb: If it's nice to look at, it's not brutalist.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

http://www.chicagomag.com/Radar/Deal-Estate/August-2013/Ferris-Bueller-House-Is-Back-but-Without-Ferris/

http://www.businessinsider.com/ferris-buellers-day-off-camerons-house-sold-photos-2014-5

Supposedly the original owners hadn't updated/maintained the house since it was built and it needs a lot of work.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Fantastic. Another piece of brilliant looking architecture that's not fit for purpose. Like the original delorean. Or Montreal's Olympic stadium.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cultural Imperial posted:

Fantastic. Another piece of brilliant looking architecture that's not fit for purpose. Like the original delorean. Or Montreal's Olympic stadium.

Yes I imagine a DeLorean would make for a rather impractical house.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Yes I imagine a DeLorean would make for a rather impractical house.

Probably make a better house than it makes a car.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The most improbable thing about BTTF isn't the time travel, it's that a DeLorean could get up to 88 mph.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hey now, it was the electronics on the DeLorean that were the really poo poo part, and they actually got that right.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

MikeJF posted:

Hey now, it was the electronics on the DeLorean that were the really poo poo part, and they actually got that right.

The Peugeot/Renault/Volvo V6 bogged down with US smog equipment wasn't exactly a high point either.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Grover maja.

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax
they should have sent a goon

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

Grover maja.
:cop: Sir, put down the polygon tool and step away from the computer.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

My autism can't deal with those two unaligned windows on the left

Can't deal

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Jerry Cotton posted:

Grover maja.
Why the gently caress is that one window just right of center angled? None of this abomination makes any sense, but that angled rectangular window is like nails in my eyes.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

grover maja not in much better condition on the inside, builder ran out of money somehow

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jusupov posted:

grover maja not in much better condition on the inside, builder ran out of money somehow

He still had more money than taste.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Yawgmoth posted:

Why the gently caress is that one window just right of center angled? None of this abomination makes any sense, but that angled rectangular window is like nails in my eyes.

Because if it was straight it would get in the way of the support for the balcony. Duh.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Reminds me of these things which have been going up in my neighborhood :

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

Grover maja.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

Yawgmoth posted:

I know, looking at that makes me so uncomfortable :( That must've been so much more difficult to install than a normal, properly placed window.

And what is that support on the top for?!

And... is the siding at an angle? It looks like the siding is at an angle. Is it just compression? Is it photoshopped?

This is just mocking everyone who looks at it.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

you were warned posted:

I know, looking at that makes me so uncomfortable :( That must've been so much more difficult to install than a normal, properly placed window.

And what is that support on the top for?!

And... is the siding at an angle? It looks like the siding is at an angle. Is it just compression? Is it photoshopped?

This is just mocking everyone who looks at it.

Thats kind of the point. It's from Beetlejuice.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Grover maja.

"There are no houses like this in Finland."

I wonder why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

Maleh-Vor posted:

Thats kind of the point. It's from Beetlejuice.

:doh: It's been a long time since I've seen that.

...but before I looked it up, I was hoping you meant the house with the crooked window.

• Locked thread