Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Cao Ni Ma posted:

"Poached" is not the correct word. Salvaged maybe a better word.

Crytek went through massive restructuring after a bunch of failed games and developers not using their engine. A lot of people got laid off and CIG picked them up.

Recycled?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
How do people have any confidence in CIG re-architecting the rendering code of the engine to use DX12?

* They've only managed the (alleged) 64bit switch three years in.

* They've already tried to merge two codebases and that resulted in them throwing away an entire fps game.

* For both of the above fiascos they had CryTek devs in house.

Now they want to change over to an entirely new low level API on a totally bastardised engine that is causing problems for devs poached from the original developer, again, three years in.

This is absolutely mind numbingly stupid.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

They applied a common memory management pattern dealing with no longer in use data in memory to the real world!

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

TTerrible posted:

How do people have any confidence in CIG re-architecting the rendering code of the engine to use DX12?

* They've only managed the (alleged) 64bit switch three years in.

* They've already tried to merge two codebases and that resulted in them throwing away an entire fps game.

* For both of the above fiascos they had CryTek devs in house.

Now they want to change over to an entirely new low level API on a totally bastardised engine that is causing problems for devs poached from the original developer, again, three years in.

This is absolutely mind numbingly stupid.

Not entirely, they had some delegated Crtek devs inhouse for integration at the start until they Poached / rescued / recycled the team. AFAIK they are still getting established over there - and let's be fair, I am sure if anyone the Crytek team themselves can do it as efficiently as possible. Whether there will be any real gains from this for the average gamer will be interesting to see...

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Not only this game doesn't have enough content, apparently it doesn't have enough bits. What a disaster.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Where are the bits, Chris? Where are the bits?

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

If they do pull this off and the project doesn't collapse in 2016, they're probably going to announce XBox One support at some point. You heard it here first.

I was predicting Playstation, but I can go with this too ^

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
You are basically missing 4 bytes. All the time. It's half the bytes for the same price, smh.

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

My understanding is that CIG's flavor of CryEngine is now so utterly and completely different from whatever Crytek is modifying that there really isn't any compatibility anymore. That's part of the reason they've poached so many Crytek devs and put them in Germany.

I think we should just call it StarEngine and be done with it. Its not CyrEngine anymore

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Star Citizen will be a Nintendo NX exclusive. And the only game on this console.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Iglocska posted:

If that is indeed true that they've diverged that much then they'll definitely need a studio full of crytek engineers to pull it off. DX11 suddenly sounds very appealing... :)

Those Crytek engineers did a whole load of good integrating star marine into the game, oh wait.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Iglocska posted:

Not entirely, they had some delegated Crtek devs inhouse for integration at the start until they Poached / rescued / recycled the team. AFAIK they are still getting established over there - and let's be fair, I am sure if anyone the Crytek team themselves can do it as efficiently as possible. Whether there will be any real gains from this for the average gamer will be interesting to see...

Switching a heavily forked version of CryEngine over to DX12 three years into a project that has such an enormous technical debt is dumb as poo poo.

EDIT:

Yes, again. Star marine. They integrated that so well, didn't they?

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Tokamak posted:

Those Crytek engineers did a whole load of good integrating star marine into the game, oh wait.

To be fair I am not sure how much of that was integration on an engine level. Illfonic probably just left them with an FPS component that was completely unrealistic and primitive, without any of the high-tech head-bobbing that everyone craves.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Here's the thing about DX12. If you are having issues getting your engine to work on DX11, DX12 is only going to make it worse. Low level APIs put the entire burden of the games optimization on the developers themselves, the GPU vendors cant help you with in driver fixes. Developers now days rely heavily on the vendors providing driver support to get their games working well, its one of the reasons why team green is consistently better than team red on similar hardware. They have a whole lot more support for their drivers.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
I posted this a page or two back but nobody reads links.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/gg/2114-chris-roberts-star-citizen-on-dx12-vulkan-and-tech

quote:

Speaking to Vulkan and DirectX 12 support, Roberts tells us that “the roadmap is Dx12 first,” further educating us on the process behind the process of supporting a new API:

“Refactoring the low-end of the engine [for Dx12] will [also] work for Vulkan. They have similar engines, similar multi-core, multi-threading, multi-job paradigms. It's not just adding more jobs, it's also about refactoring some of the pipeline, how you deal with the data, how you organize your resources so you can be more parallel, which is how you get the real power of Dx12 or Vulkan. You can take a Dx11 renderer and make it Dx12 pretty quickly. You're not going to get the benefit of Dx12 or the Vulkan stuff until you do more fundamental refactoring.

“That's what we're doing – we're saying, 'we're gonna do it right so that we'll really get the performance gains.' That's one of the things that the German office is leading on, because we've got some of the engineers who built the engine in the first place and were involved in the various Dx9 and Dx11 implementations of CryEngine.”

There's more and a video interview too I think, I'm not pretending to know poo poo about this nerd stuff but our Lord and Saviour has spoken about it at length, so if you really want to pick it apart that's the best thing to read/view.

Edit to add videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seD9YAtqZ0I https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nVm3aKeOrc

AP fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Dec 1, 2015

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
Another day another round of hilarity! Thanks Chris

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

AP posted:

http://www.gamersnexus.net/gg/2114-chris-roberts-star-citizen-on-dx12-vulkan-and-tech

There's more and a video interview too I think, I'm not pretending to know poo poo about this nerd stuff but our Lord and Saviour has spoken about it at length, so if you really want to pick it apart that's the best thing to read/view.

That is just another bullshit wavey-hands rant from CR. He is saying those words like it is all going to magically implement itself with zero impact on the rest of the game and that is about as far from the truth as it could ever get.

D_Smart posted:

Yes we do know that. Read p6 of the article or ask a programmer to explain it in better context than I have. It's a 32-Bit game; not 64-Bit. It's all right there on p6. Also read the Black & White portions.

This has huge implications for their "large" world. It won't be seamless. As in ever. It's zoned.

I've just read this, how did it slip past the ministry of truth? Zones and subzones isn't quite the magical 64bit universe space they'd been shouting about.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

AP posted:

Edit to add video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seD9YAtqZ0I

Actually what you quoted pretty much clears it up for me. They are indeed going to rework the engine so it makes use of the advantages of a low level API so that is cool. Let's hope they get it done before I retire in like 30 years.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

TTerrible posted:

That is just another bullshit wavey-hands rant from CR. He is saying those words like it is all going to magically implement itself with zero impact on the rest of the game and that is about as far from the truth as it could ever get.

Don't blame me I'm just his wife.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Iglocska posted:

Without ever having touched it - from what I read this is indeed correct. DX11 -> DX12 sounds like a massive task as DX12 is not just DX11 + new features but it's the first complete rewrite since the early days of DX with way less abstraction than all the previous DX versions offered. But again, this part is for Crytek to worry about mostly and CIG will just reap the benefits (hopefully, unless they diverged too much). Of course just switching to DX12 in itself will not provide a lot of benefits, if they want to go for the quick approach and just get a checkbox checked it should be doable.

No. Their custom version of CE3 is so far gone as I've heard, that they stopped doing integration back in the Summer. So they won't be getting anything from CryTek. Aside from the bad blood between them and croberts, my guess is that Cervat will never give them access to versions they're not entitled to. And in the engine licensing world, that means no access to CryEngine3 major builds. Unless Cervat needs the money; in which case, well, you know how that goes.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Iglocska posted:

CIG Frankfurt is basically a poached Crytek engine dev team right?

Yes. All of them. I wrote about that in my Interstellar Discourse blog which is when I first broke the news.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

D_Smart posted:

No. Their custom version of CE3 is so far gone as I've heard, that they stopped doing integration back in the Summer. So they won't be getting anything from CryTek. Aside from the bad blood between them and croberts, my guess is that Cervat will never give them access to versions they're not entitled to. And in the engine licensing world, that means no access to CryEngine3 major builds. Unless Cervat needs the money; in which case, well, you know how that goes.

Well that sucks.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Cao Ni Ma posted:

"Poached" is not the correct word. Salvaged maybe a better word.

Crytek went through massive restructuring after a bunch of failed games and developers not using their engine. A lot of people got laid off and CIG picked them up.

No, that's not what happened. And coming from someone who has a first hand account. After those laid off were picked up by CIG, those people went back and poached their friends who still remained at CryTek; and with huge incentives and such. Some of them have since gone back to CryTek btw.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Sad news Sperg Citizens as it looks like the game will be further delayed because the main honcho designer got into an accident

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

quote:

quote:
Speaking to Vulkan and DirectX 12 support, Roberts tells us that “the roadmap is Dx12 first,” further educating us on the process behind the process of supporting a new API:

“Refactoring the low-end of the engine [for Dx12] will [also] work for Vulkan. They have similar engines, similar multi-core, multi-threading, multi-job paradigms. It's not just adding more jobs, it's also about refactoring some of the pipeline, how you deal with the data, how you organize your resources so you can be more parallel, which is how you get the real power of Dx12 or Vulkan. You can take a Dx11 renderer and make it Dx12 pretty quickly. You're not going to get the benefit of Dx12 or the Vulkan stuff until you do more fundamental refactoring.

“That's what we're doing – we're saying, 'we're gonna do it right so that we'll really get the performance gains.' That's one of the things that the German office is leading on, because we've got some of the engineers who built the engine in the first place and were involved in the various Dx9 and Dx11 implementations of CryEngine.”

Edit to add videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seD9YAtqZ0I https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nVm3aKeOrc

That (in bold) is completely and utterly false. Yet another example of Chris, having been gone for so long, is just talking poo poo now. Plus he's not a graphics programmer. And whatever his engine/graphics programmers did tell him, he's gone and regurgitated it incorrectly. Yeah, like that's new.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Its great to see I took today to poke my head in to enjoy this new round of fuckery by Chris and minions

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

EminusSleepus posted:

Sad news Sperg Citizens as it looks like the game will be further delayed because the main honcho designer got into an accident

Good thing he's not a dev/designer then. Just a customer relations peon.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

That (in bold) is completely and utterly false. Yet another example of Chris, having been gone for so long, is just talking poo poo now. Plus he's not a graphics programmer. And whatever his engine/graphics programmers did tell him, he's gone and regurgitated it incorrectly. Yeah, like that's new.

Nerd stuff, I don't know, there's more on the link. I'm only linking it because you guys were going off a paragraph or something from somewhere else.

quote:

“It's pretty easy [to integrate Dx12] if you do it the same way you did with Dx11, but you're not going to get the full power. The issue is that most game engines were not really written with a massively parallel architecture in mind, and that's fundamentally what you need to do to really get the best benefit out of the next-generation of graphics APIs. [That nex generation] is just that you can be feeding lots of stuff at the same time to the graphics card and you're not bottlenecked by just one thread.

"So, typically, the old CryEngine has 1 thread for rendering, 1 thread for main game, and 1 thread for physics, and that worked fairly well back in the Xbox 360 days and there's been slight scaling of it for PC use. The engine's moved more toward a job approach as opposed to a thread approach. So a job approach is [when] you say, 'here's a task, bam,' and kick it off to the job manager. The job manager manages hundreds or thousands of these amongst all the processor threads, as available. That sort of requires thinking of your tasks differently – compartmentalizing it and making sure it's not dependent on other data.”

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

AP posted:

Nerd stuff, I don't know, there's more on the link. I'm only linking it because you guys were going off a paragraph or something from somewhere else.

Mom and dad aren't angry at you honey you did good.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

EminusSleepus posted:

Ben must've been wearing his teletubbies costume at the time...

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

EminusSleepus posted:

I am concerned about the production quality of the most recent star citizen jpeg.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

D_Smart posted:

You're kidding, right? Ben's like... 90% of the work force.

Volumetrically speaking.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

D_Smart posted:

No based on CIG's black book he is a designer. one evidence the Cutlass, he designed it like it is a eat-all-you-can buffet.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

I've said before :lesnick: appears to do far more than people give him credit for, unfortunately I don't think the type of PVE bollocks gameplay he likes will help at all making this potential game any better. This is the guy who managed to gently caress up the basic pirate ship in a game that's meant to have space combat, boarding and EVA.

The technological aspects of what they are attempting with Star Citizen interest me even if I don't understand it that well. What they are attempting was always going to rely on incredible network code and a smart system to deal with the graphical issues. So I'll make fun of them for redesigning the avatar skeleton 8 times, dropping the FPS code branch and trying to pretend they didn't. But the zone system, large world, background streaming and new stuff like Dx12 to get performance gains are all things I think they need to even come close to the basics of what the game as marketed to be, so I'll wait to see how all that comes out before passing judgement.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I caught up!

Have a cat gif for the occasion.

Also, where's the lawsuit, Derek?

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

quote:

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 PTU: Crusader Playtest Invite

Greetings everyone, we've got exciting news for you!

We're inviting some of our earliest backers to participate in the Public Test Universe (PTU) to playtest Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 which features the very first elements of the Persistent Universe in the form of the gas giant Crusader and surrounding areas.

I created an RSI account years ago but never bought a single jpeg. Looks like Derek was right and they're just spamming invites trying to hype people into buying poo poo. Chris really wants that $100mil for Christmas :homebrew:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Bootcha posted:

Star Citizen/CitCon/Chris Roberts/Angry Joe/Wulf combination anecdote time!

So the place is CitCon 1 in Austin, I'm doing stage management for Morlan for the show. We've got as much as we've can down pat, praying the hdmi feed from the demo box to the stream control box holds up, because we already fried 2 video cards trying to get this thing working. Not only that, CR won't cut still-as-of-yet unfinished Hornet commercial from the presentation, because that commercial is a big loving deal and it's going to be in the show. That commercial came in during the delay and had to be plugged in as the show was going. Basically Morlan was dancing on spinning plates and still managed to pull off a good stream.

I still remember all the hubub there was about how weird and weak said commercial looked. CR really shouldn't have rushed Morlan on that one, since it wasn't until the full thing came out later in the month that all of the faithful (at least on the forums) finally crowed unanimous praise.

Bootcha posted:

What I *DO* remember vividly is Joe shouting at any CIG guy he recognized "DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM!? I'LL loving SUE YOU! I HAVE A LAWYER!"

Enjoy that situation for the moment.

I chuckled. On the one hand, I can deffo understand his frustration at CIG's lack of organization and not sticking to schedules thanks to CR's divine inspirations (which at the time could've, admittively, just passed for inexperience). Having to suffer that all night, and him not being able to give them the publicity they could use because of it, would deffo combine with some liquor to feel angry and jerked around. But on the other hand, he deffo could've just watched his liquor a bit more or just called it a day earlier and relocated to a place that was less horrible for him.

Bootcha posted:

I meet Wulf, I think it was for the first time. Him and the old man (Marten Davies, the old VP of Sales at Origin) were chatting up two ladies over in a corner (turns out the ladies were beer league hockey players from Connecticut, so I got to talk hockey shop with someone at a nerd event, yay). Davies and I had been chatting up before. Basically long story short Wulf was doing everything he could to impress the girls, all the way through closing time, trying to convince them to come back to his hotel room. The 4 of us took those bike taxis to where the girls parked, and I convinced him to find a cab and just head back alone. Now, these were hockey playing girls, and they probably would have given that dude a righteous beatdown if he tried anything stupid, but Wulf was a fairly meaty dude and that strange kind of confidence that made me feel like not leaving the girls to that fate just because of "gently caress it, not my problem".

Also I *think* it was Wulf chatting up Chelsea Day about taking her on a private flight since she was interested in a pilot's license. Chelsea dropped the "Can my husband join us?" Pretty sure the topic changed an awkward minute later. Again, I *think* it was Wulf, I could be wrong and it was some other sperg.

Hello there, fellow person that makes sure nothing happens as a result of alcohol, that shouldn't.

Also, pretty sure this makes me going to any SC RL event an absolutely bad idea. How Raskolnikov ever brought herself to actually hug this non-stop cheating, sad sack of poo poo is beyond my comprehension. I guess the only silver lining in all this is that, from everything known about him, he's probably still too much of a coward to actually try anything stupid whenever he gets rejected by women.

Bootcha posted:

That's my story.

Always nice to hear one from ya.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Dec 1, 2015

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Don't worry, everything is fine!

quote:

64 bit was required to make the large world map, DX12 is mostly about optimization and performance gains, so there is no need to delay major parts of the game to implement it. Rather tasks will be optimized in the background to take advantage of it, but DX12 is not even required to play SC, so I wouldn't expect it to halt development in anyway that a core system like the 64-bit conversion would. And even then 64-bit did not halt development. Design work on Space station, ships, and planetside locations continued while it was being developed. Then those assets were simply rolled into it when it came online.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Daztek posted:

Don't worry, everything is fine!

It will have absolutely no impact except for the developers required to do the additional work and then to fix the bugs that this additional work causes. No effect except for increasing the overall amount of work required, just like literally every other thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

Berious posted:

I created an RSI account years ago but never bought a single jpeg. Looks like Derek was right and they're just spamming invites trying to hype people into buying poo poo. Chris really wants that $100mil for Christmas :homebrew:

If you're not a True Believer I doubt that's a good strategy for raising more cash. Any normal person would just go "what is this poo poo?" and never play again. If it didn't just crash on startup.

• Locked thread