Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Constant Hamprince posted:

I think the perpetuation of anti-First Nations racism is intimately tied to the reservation system. They're largely small, isolated communities and prone to all the small town corruption and nepotism that comes with it, except they're also regulatory black holes that neither the provinces nor the Federal government want to take any responsibility for, so they end up being miniature dictatorships who's leaders generally don't give a gently caress about their people. They're effectively third-world countries embedded in a first world one, and have all the horrendous problems associated with that. Places where First Nations people from the reserve and non-First nations people mix (generally at schools) serve as a breeding ground for bigotry. I've had totally reasonable and well educated people who went to school near reserves tell me about how their (native) classmate was smart and a good student got pregnant at 17 and never went to university because (paraphrasing) "that's just how it is there".

I really think it will take a revolution from within the native community to fix the root problem with the reserves, I don't think the government should (or even can) force reform on them and even with a lot more funding (which the reservations need anyway) only so much could even reach the majority of people instead of getting funnelled away.

Do you have any proof that reservations are especially corrupt? Because that is a common (unfounded) line used by racist groups in order to blame First Nations for their poverty and justify greater government control. Or in your case to justify not increasing funding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Guys, GUYS

September was the weakest month for economic growth in Canada since 2009!!!!!

https://twitter.com/ForexLive/status/671683582876864513?s=09

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quotidien/151201/dq151201a-eng.htm?HPA

Get hosed everyone!!!

E: lol

quote:

Household spending increases

Household final consumption expenditure increased 0.4% in the third quarter, following a 0.6% gain in the second quarter. Outlays on goods were up 0.8%, driven by durable goods (+2.3%). Semi-durable (+0.2%) and non-durable (+0.2%) goods also contributed to the increase. Outlays on services edged up 0.1%.

Expenditures on transport rose 2.2%, driven by purchases of vehicles (+3.5%) and operation of transport equipment (+1.2%). Recreation and culture (+1.1%) and food and beverage services (+0.4%) also contributed to the growth in household spending. Expenditures on clothing and footwear (-0.3%) were lower.

Investment in housing picks up

Business investment in residential structures grew 0.6% following a flat second quarter. The growth was driven by new construction (+3.2%), which offset declines in renovations (-1.6%) and ownership transfer costs (-0.7%).

Canadians are human garbage

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Is there a certain level of entitlement that can psychologically stop you from recognizing hypocrisy? Barring the chance that there's an actual mental health problem, I think Canadians can be a little ticked off that Trudeau children's nannies being paid for by taxpayers especially after all the "my family doesn't need it" rhetoric. "I am going to donate my $3,400 UCCB to charity because i don't need it. I am, however, going to employ a couple of nannies at a cost of around $150,000 a year." - Liberals.

quote:

"In these times, Mr. Harper's top priority is to give wealthy families like his and mine $2,000," Trudeau said in reference to the Conservatives' income-splitting tax credit. "Let me tell you something: We don't need it. And Canada can't afford it."

Trudeau is also entitled to collect annual UCCB payments of about $3,400 for his three children.

He promised to give the money to charity.

"When it comes to child benefits, fair doesn’t mean giving everyone the same thing, it means giving people what they need."

If it wasn't for finishing with the hot story that Mulroney denied doing the same thing 31 years ago, I wouldn't even know it's a CBC article.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I bet he's not picking up his tab for airline flights all over the place either! That filthy hypocrite!

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Duck Rodgers posted:

Do you have any proof that reservations are especially corrupt? Because that is a common (unfounded) line used by racist groups in order to blame First Nations for their poverty and justify greater government control. Or in your case to justify not increasing funding.

There's an almost complete absence of academic studies on the issue, but anecdotes of corruption on reserves are so widespread that it's difficult to dismiss as just a racist myth.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ikantski posted:

Is there a certain level of entitlement that can psychologically stop you from recognizing hypocrisy? Barring the chance that there's an actual mental health problem, I think Canadians can be a little ticked off that Trudeau children's nannies being paid for by taxpayers especially after all the "my family doesn't need it" rhetoric. "I am going to donate my $3,400 UCCB to charity because i don't need it. I am, however, going to employ a couple of nannies at a cost of around $150,000 a year." - Liberals.

If it wasn't for finishing with the hot story that Mulroney denied doing the same thing 31 years ago, I wouldn't even know it's a CBC article.

Uhhhhhhh this isn't about Wynne what the hell man

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Jordan7hm posted:

Not all his posts can be Wynners.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Jordan7hm posted:

I enjoy Liberal hypocrisy at all levels of government. While the OLP certainly present a target rich environment, it's nice to get a little variety. Smokey Thomas is fighting progressive politics again, apparently this is on billboards at Yonge and Eglington.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ikantski posted:

I enjoy Liberal hypocrisy at all levels of government. While the OLP certainly present a target rich environment, it's nice to get a little variety. Smokey Thomas is fighting progressive politics again, apparently this is on billboards at Yonge and Eglington.

That doesn't really read to me as hypocrisy but ok. They're not comparable issues.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I mean you don't complain that the pm has a good or a driver but him getting childcare? That's a deal breaker.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

So who should win the next Ontario election if you hate Wynne so much? You think the PCs will do any better? The NDP certainly won't win.

If I'm gonna get hosed in the rear end I'd rather take the lube.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

There's an almost complete absence of academic studies on the issue, but anecdotes of corruption on reserves are so widespread that it's difficult to dismiss as just a racist myth.

And yet, the plural of anecdote is still not data

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Jordan7hm posted:

That doesn't really read to me as hypocrisy but ok. They're not comparable issues.

Yeah I talk bad, I didn't mean it as hypocrisy, just general Wynne news to fulfill my destiny.

Kraftwerk posted:

The NDP certainly won't win.

True story. I went to join the ONDP (http://ontariondp.com/membership/becomeamember.php). I made it to "for the win" and cringed so hard I couldn't continue.

bunnyofdoom posted:

I mean you don't complain that the pm has a good or a driver but him getting childcare? That's a deal breaker.

Multimillionaire campaigns on "Rich people like me can pay our own childcare, I don't need the government's help". He wins, he cuts the $5k childcare benefit and income splitting for families who have a fraction of what he does while ordering $150k in taxpayer childcare for himself. I guess you're either the type of person who's okay with that or you're not, so I'll just drop it.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

ChickenWing posted:

And yet, the plural of anecdote is still not data

The absence of data doesn't prove the negative though. If anyone knows of a study on (the absence of) corruption in the reserve system I'd like to see it.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

I want to watch "22 Minuets". There isn't enough music in 3/4 time on CBC. You would "not be force" to make me watch it.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Ikantski posted:

Yeah I talk bad, I didn't mean it as hypocrisy, just general Wynne news to fulfill my destiny.

True story. I went to join the ONDP (http://ontariondp.com/membership/becomeamember.php). I made it to "for the win" and cringed so hard I couldn't continue.

Multimillionaire campaigns on "Rich people like me can pay our own childcare, I don't need the government's help". He wins, he cuts the $5k childcare benefit and income splitting for families who have a fraction of what he does while ordering $150k in taxpayer childcare for himself. I guess you're either the type of person who's okay with that or you're not, so I'll just drop it.

Join us "For the Wynne" because that is the only person who will rule this province for decades to come.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I'm loving dying laughing at the OMG GOVERNMENT IS PAYING FOR JUSTIN'S NANNIES! freakout the canadian right is having today.

Not sure you could grasp any harder at straws if you tried.

"B-b-b-b-but... hypocrisy!" :qq:

Did anyone read that editorial in the National Post the other day about how the Canadian right needs to start leading and stop acting like a bunch of whiny babies? Because it was really dead on.

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/national-post-view-fixing-the-conservative-brand

quote:

It strikes us as more than a little angry and divisive to blast Tories as mean, old male bigots doomed by the progressive juggernaut of history, but there is no denying that many recent Conservative campaigns, from Stephen Harper’s federally to Tim Hudak’s in Ontario, have had a deliberately obnoxious and unmistakably whiny tone.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
I wonder what the outrage would look like if PM Trudeau had a vagina.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.
Why does OPSEU want Patrick Brown to be premier? :confused:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Ikantski posted:

And here is where it is revealed you fell for bullshit. We didn't. We increased it, made it income tested, and made it not taxable. We didn't cut it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Ikantski posted:

That rich motherfucker should either pay for his own CC-150 flights or pay for me and everyone else to fly everywhere in first class, too! Rich bastard! And don't even get me started about how TAXPAYERS are on the hook for his security detail, I think he should be paying for that out of his own pocket.

Or maybe, just maybe, there are valid reasons for the Prime Minister of the goddamn country to have access to some services that normal people don't!

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

The absence of data doesn't prove the negative though. If anyone knows of a study on (the absence of) corruption in the reserve system I'd like to see it.

Listen, until we can absolutely prove that Constant Hamprince hasn't molested and murdered dozens of children, devouring their flesh raw and grinding their bones into his morning shake, how can we really say that he hasn't? Have there been any studies on the matter? Without any hard facts, I'm not going to just assume that he hasn't. Until several peer-reviewed studies are published, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 26, 2018

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

The reserve system was designed and is still administered by the government. The governing structures are all the government's fault as much as anything else. Even if you believe corruption is the preeminent issue facing natives, pining responsibility on natives for some sort of massive social renewal is hilariously naive and ignorant of the actual history of the system in place.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Anyone else remember when it was discovered that the head of Library Archives Canada spent 4 grand on Spanish lessons 3 or 4 years ago which got him booted from that position (thankfully).

Good times.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

sliderule posted:

Listen, until we can absolutely prove that Constant Hamprince hasn't molested and murdered dozens of children, devouring their flesh raw and grinding their bones into his morning shake, how can we really say that he hasn't? Have there been any studies on the matter? Without any hard facts, I'm not going to just assume that he hasn't. Until several peer-reviewed studies are published, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

That's a super relevant and appropriate analogy right there.

Sedge and Bee posted:

The reserve system was designed and is still administered by the government. The governing structures are all the government's fault as much as anything else. Even if you believe corruption is the preeminent issue facing natives, pining responsibility on natives for some sort of massive social renewal is hilariously naive and ignorant of the actual history of the system in place.

What I meant is that the government shouldn't impose a change in the system on native peoples (and won't, because it doesn't care). I think the increase in engagement among first nations people that we saw during the latest federal election is a step in the right direction. It's the government's fault that things are the way it is and I don't think it's the victim's 'responsibility' to push for change, but it's something that people need to agitate for if systemic change is going to happen.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

bunnyofdoom posted:

And here is where it is revealed you fell for bullshit. We didn't. We increased it, made it income tested, and made it not taxable. We didn't cut it.

You haven't implemented it yet, when you do I imagine you'll find that redistributing the benefit going to 10% of recipients to the other 90% will not be quite enough to 'lift 315,000 kids out of poverty" so I don't think I'm out of line expecting similar changes as were made to the refugee plan. It brings up a fair point though, he hasn't cut it yet. Either way, it will be a cut for my family.

gently caress, even JT agrees with me that it's unfair.

https://www.liberal.ca/realchange/helping-families/ posted:

Stephen Harper thinks that government should provide child support payments to millionaires. We will end that unfair giveaway.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-12-01/watchdog-projects-c-1-2-billion-canada-surplus-in-2015-16

quote:

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s pledge of a balanced budget by the next election is overly optimistic, with his government on pace to record at least four consecutive deficits, Canada’s budget watchdog said.

The Parliamentary Budget Officer painted a different picture of Canada’s fiscal outlook than that of the finance department -- forecasting, for instance, slower economic growth, lower crude prices and lower tax revenues.

In figures released Tuesday, the PBO projects a C$1.2 billion ($900 million) surplus in fiscal 2015, the last year under the helm of former Prime Minister Stephen Harper. In its Nov. 20 update, however, Trudeau’s government projected adeficit of C$3 billion.

Jt is a lying sack of poo poo.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

I'm loving dying laughing at the OMG GOVERNMENT IS PAYING FOR JUSTIN'S NANNIES! freakout the canadian right is having today.

Not sure you could grasp any harder at straws if you tried.

"B-b-b-b-but... hypocrisy!" :qq:

Did anyone read that editorial in the National Post the other day about how the Canadian right needs to start leading and stop acting like a bunch of whiny babies? Because it was really dead on.

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/national-post-view-fixing-the-conservative-brand

Pretty much. It's not about whether he needs it or whether he's wealthy enough to afford it, he's the goddamned Prime Minister and he's entitled to it.

Anyone laying odds on him saying something about it not being consistent with his party's principles and just paying her himself from here on out?

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

When did he say he was going to balance it by next year? The article even says the liberals wanted it by 2019 but plays both angles and is written like they wrote it during the election.

I think you are wrong about who the lying piece of poo poo is it is also probably you :ssh:

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

PT6A posted:

The current paradox of conservative opinions is hilarious.

"Hah, look at Justin, that little pansy human being, he's such a wuss! Also, we better not let any refugees in, because what if one of them was a terrorist???"

I don't know how they can accuse Trudeau of being a coward, or unmanly, when he's willing to do things that they're apparently deeply terrified of.
The bit that really makes me laugh is the fact he legit won that charity boxing match a couple years ago. I know its not the same as a real fight, but it's still more punching people as an adult than most prime ministers have done. With the exception of Chretien of course.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Slightly Toasted posted:

When did he say he was going to balance it by next year? The article even says the liberals wanted it by 2019 but plays both angles and is written like they wrote it during the election.

I think you are wrong about who the lying piece of poo poo is it is also probably you :ssh:

Read it again.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
In my opinion childcare should be provided to everyone by the government and paid for through taxation, so I fully support Justin Trudeau in taking this bold first step.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Kafka Esq. posted:

Read it again.

Ahahaha I totally read by next year

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
People think reserves are corrupt because they get a pile of money and have nothing to show for it. The reality is that per capita spending of anything on a reserve is way higher than elsewhere to achieve the same level of quality.

Education in a suburb might cost $5000 per head while education on a reserve costs $20,000 per head. Lower population and everything costs way more due to isolation and other factors.

But if the government actually provides parity in service rather than spending per capita the optics look terrible since why should some lazy indian get ten times more money than a middle classed Canadian.

As a result everything is underfunded and terrible on a reserve, while predictably, band leaders take their salaries first and divvy up the rest. Less corruption and more self interest.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

vyelkin posted:

In my opinion childcare should be provided to everyone by the government and paid for through taxation, so I fully support Justin Trudeau in taking this bold first step.

You made me laugh aloud at work, well done :)

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

cowofwar posted:

As a result everything is underfunded and terrible on a reserve, while predictably, band leaders take their salaries first and divvy up the rest. Less corruption and more self interest.

You're right about the effect that increased cost of living/services in usually isolated areas has on the optics of funding First Nations compared to comparable provincial/municipal services (and in a very real sense this entire discussion is a red herring because local corruption is rarely if ever the reason behind poor reserve situations), but how exactly are you distinguishing "self interest" from "corruption" here? Corruption is, by definition, self-interested behaviour by someone trusted with the interest of their public.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Maybe it means subsistence-level corruption, as opposed to theft for greed's sake?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Slightly Toasted posted:

Keep shilling and maybe bunnyofdoom will also fellate you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
--

Melian Dialogue fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Feb 2, 2016