Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

:black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
The fish is a nice touch.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Mzbundifund posted:

I could use some tips for how to use this guy. I've been running with a rapier and a crossbow because they're the highest-levelled things I have on me, both blue. I've gotten ok at not taking damage from random rats, but I'm not 100% clear on what is the best way to kill most efficiently. Should I be using charge attacks on normal rats when there are lots of them around, or is spamming light attacks the better way to go? Is there any use at all for the little pistol that comes with the rapier?

I usually save the charge attack for Stormvermin, clan and slave rats I use normal. When dealing with hordes, you definately want to be spamming normal attack, while strafing around the horde to avoid attacks and tie up as many as possible, as well as watch for anything that might be flanking your soldier/dwarf. Use the offhand pistol for getting rats that are just out of range and about to attack someone, or just don't feel like closing to melee for whatever reason.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The charge attack is good if you have a line of normal rats in front of you or you're trying to quickly get a rat that's about to hit an ally, though. The rapier's charge attack is pretty legit.

I find Saltzpyre works best skirmishing and backing up the shield or two-hander guys, cleaning up what they keep busy because the rapier can keep attacking while he strafes and walks at full speed and has a lot of reach for how fast it is.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Latest adventure with hook rats: Next to the furthest bags on wheat and chaff, one of them appeared on the out-of-bounds rocks that rats jump down from, hooked and immediately planted the wizard while it was still up there. I tried to jump up and there was an invisible wall. So it just uncontrollably instakilled a player because it was allowed to hook someone from an area you physically aren't allowed to go :thumbsup:

They're such a wonderful combination of poo poo design and horrible implementation.

Mzbundifund posted:

I could use some tips for how to use this guy. I've been running with a rapier and a crossbow because they're the highest-levelled things I have on me, both blue. I've gotten ok at not taking damage from random rats, but I'm not 100% clear on what is the best way to kill most efficiently. Should I be using charge attacks on normal rats when there are lots of them around, or is spamming light attacks the better way to go? Is there any use at all for the little pistol that comes with the rapier?

Stab in the head one by one if there is only 1 or 2 rats in range (like clan rats coming single file) and swing while dodging if there's a group

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I dunno utter bullshit you can't do anything against sounds like the hallmark of a Skaven attack.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

Ravenfood posted:

The fish is a nice touch.

I love the fish. It's an orange fish so it's really useful AND it jigglebones all over the place. :D

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE
with the dwarf's axe/shield, has anyone else noticed that the shield bash seems to fail to deal damage when the host is laggy? it seems like it just knocks them back and i don't get a little damage x. it's annoying enough that i've been swapping to the two-handed hammer for the satisfying crunch of downing a whole horde in one hit.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.

Thesoro posted:

with the dwarf's axe/shield, has anyone else noticed that the shield bash seems to fail to deal damage when the host is laggy? it seems like it just knocks them back and i don't get a little damage x. it's annoying enough that i've been swapping to the two-handed hammer for the satisfying crunch of downing a whole horde in one hit.

Same deal but with soldier. Oddly, dwarf works fine for me.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The hammer should play a bowling pins falling over sound effect when you send 20 rats flying with it

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

The netcode in this game is 90% cheese curds. It's sloppy, messy, crap.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
That feeling when you join a hard 2 grimoire game at the very end (on the way to carriage) & get an achievement and a solid blue out of it.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I've only had the game like a week now or so but the netcode's been pretty stable once it actually finds me games :shrug:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Yardbomb posted:

I've only had the game like a week now or so but the netcode's been pretty stable once it actually finds me games :shrug:

There's a server browser, I think it's bound to L from memory.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

Oh kickass, thanks man, that was about my only big complaint so far is just that the matchfinder drags sometimes.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Tokubetsu posted:

That feeling when you join a hard 2 grimoire game at the very end (on the way to carriage) & get an achievement and a solid blue out of it.

The other day I hopped into a game so close to the end that the screen was already fading to the victory screen when I loaded in.

I got a white :downsgun:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Wafflecopper posted:

What? What? What? WHY IS THIS NOT STAPLED TO THE INNKEEP'S FOREHEAD?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

It's really laggy bullshit when you're trying to dodge rats, or feels like it a lot of the time.

Also Hook Rats :argh:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Magres posted:

Also Hook Rats :argh:

Even in seemingly lagless environments, sometimes those drat animal control chokers feel a mile long.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

Even in seemingly lagless environments, sometimes those drat animal control chokers feel a mile long.

Ozy
Apr 29, 2005
"Oh no, not again."
Is the mace and shield for soldier any good? I picked up an orange one with increased shove power and +1 stamina and have only used it two games so far, but it honestly feels like I'm more effective with a green 2H hammer. How often should I be using shove? I try to spam it when there's large groups of trashrats, but without actually killing any of them, it just feels inefficient to be stunning them for slightly longer than a 2H hammer knockdown when I could be outright killing them with the hammer. I've only been playing on Hard though, so maybe the stun effect of shove is more useful on higher difficulties?

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.

Ozy posted:

Is the mace and shield for soldier any good? I picked up an orange one with increased shove power and +1 stamina and have only used it two games so far, but it honestly feels like I'm more effective with a green 2H hammer. How often should I be using shove? I try to spam it when there's large groups of trashrats, but without actually killing any of them, it just feels inefficient to be stunning them for slightly longer than a 2H hammer knockdown when I could be outright killing them with the hammer. I've only been playing on Hard though, so maybe the stun effect of shove is more useful on higher difficulties?

On Nightmare and Cataclysm the game becomes more about killing safely than killing quickly. In a good position an effective shield user can keep all rats in an approaching horde knocked down using only charged attacks. In a bad situation the same shield user can instantly spend their long stamina bar on pushes to rescue surrounded players and clear a path for them to your corner/chokepoint of choice.

I've finally found a good use for the elf. Most elf weapons can run at full speed while blocking, meaning you can run away from a rat ogre and auto-dodge his overheads, and blocking his big swings too. Spammed hagbane primary fire has ridiculously high DPS meaning you can keep reacquiring his aggro when he changes target off you.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
New patch is supposed to drop tomorrow right?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Senethro posted:

On Nightmare and Cataclysm the game becomes more about killing safely than killing quickly. In a good position an effective shield user can keep all rats in an approaching horde knocked down using only charged attacks. In a bad situation the same shield user can instantly spend their long stamina bar on pushes to rescue surrounded players and clear a path for them to your corner/chokepoint of choice.

I've finally found a good use for the elf. Most elf weapons can run at full speed while blocking, meaning you can run away from a rat ogre and auto-dodge his overheads, and blocking his big swings too. Spammed hagbane primary fire has ridiculously high DPS meaning you can keep reacquiring his aggro when he changes target off you.

Oooh should I just be spamming charge attacks with sword and board weapons instead of trying to shield bash, swing once or twice, then shield bash again?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
The cadence I worked into is charge attack 3 times, block and push, quick attack 3 times, block and push, repeat.

This works better with mace and shield than sword and shield, though, so do not take it as gospel for everything. Easy thing to do is to just play Black Powder a bit until you start to find something that works.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Stanley Pain posted:

New patch is supposed to drop tomorrow right?

Thursday the third.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Shields have such an incredibly good charge attack that you should probably be using it way more than the shove. The shove comes out faster initially but once you have a chain of charge attacks going, you can just bowl over every single rat in front of you over and over for no stamina cost, while doing pretty noticeable damage at the same time. When a swarm is coming at you in a straight line you pretty much :killdozer: right into them and it's amazing.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Games fun. Loots garbage.

Thats my in depth review.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Digital_Jesus posted:

Games fun. Loots garbage.

Thats my in depth review.

I want you to know I appreciate the time you tool out of your busy day to write this review.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Thanks it took a lot of heartfelt effort to stop slaughtering rats to type that out.

This too.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Shields have such an incredibly good charge attack that you should probably be using it way more than the shove. The shove comes out faster initially but once you have a chain of charge attacks going, you can just bowl over every single rat in front of you over and over for no stamina cost, while doing pretty noticeable damage at the same time. When a swarm is coming at you in a straight line you pretty much :killdozer: right into them and it's amazing.
Agreed, the shove/charged attack dynamic is difficult at first but if you can control the crowd with pushes and follow with charged attacks there's no reason to ever get hit. I found a shield/axe for the dwarf with 40% chance for a push to not cost stamina, and now the horn ending is so easy. I can get 9-20 consecutive pushes in, and if I rolled devastating blow it'd be the perfect weapon.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I saw something weird in my last game last night. A dwarf was fighting a rat ogre by jumping his overhead strikes causing apparent misses. Anyone seen that before?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The smash attack might work off of an AOE on the ground instead of getting physically hit with the fists. I need to try that, it will be awesome if you can avoid that by jumping instead of having to dodge backward and hoping it takes you far enough not to get hit.

As it is I don't do almost any damage to roger when he's after me since that attack makes it too dangerous to get very close. Very annoying when I use my speed potion to try to get an instakill in and he just never leaves me alone, or a bunch of naked mole rats get in the way.

limbohead
Jan 1, 2005
pigeons is rats with magic inside
Here we go: http://updates.vermintide.com/release/sigmars-blessing/

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Patchnotes up here (scroll down a bit to the changelog). Here's some of the interesting ones:

quote:

-Added New Weapon Tier: Veteran – Each Veteran weapon is unique and can only be obtained once. Their traits can only roll perfectly.
-Added 40 Veteran Weapons.

-Tokens can now be spent in place of items whilst Fusing an item
-Tokens are now rewarded upon mission defeat if the party progressed sufficiently

-Moved several secrets on Horn of Magnus (Good luck!)
-Made the top floor of Mother Black at the end of Engines of War harder to defend

-Rat Ogres will now slam ladders, causing players to lose grip and fall
-Added better line of sight check to stop packmaster from dragging players through walls and floors
-Made Packmasters range more consistent

-Scavenger Trait proc chance increased from 5-12% to 10-24%

Also a bunch of tweaks (reload speed, minimum parry time, minimum charge time, etc.) to the basic weapon types for certain classes.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
well you certainly can't claim they've been loafing around the last month or so.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Coolguye posted:

well you certainly can't claim they've been loafing around the last month or so.

I can and will say that. It's the internet and I'm supposed to be posting wrong opinions.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Anyone else notice the bat-winged 'coming soon' on the bar along with Sigmar's Blessing? Next level or mini-campaign? Maybe about vampires?

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

quote:

Inspirational Shot
Scoring headshots will replenish the stamina of your allies.

My god, they've somehow made the 360 no scope aimbot elf the best team player...

Also, I hope the trinket awards for failing do not actually end up being better than winning. Pubbies are already terrible enough as is.

Skandranon fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senethro
May 18, 2005

Night10194 posted:

Anyone else notice the bat-winged 'coming soon' on the bar along with Sigmar's Blessing? Next level or mini-campaign? Maybe about vampires?

If you hover over the icon it says "Schleusselstrasse". Key street...?

• Locked thread