Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

That sounds a bit excessive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

And easily configurable in a file! I wonder if you could use that to tune things in the other direction for a hand-made hard mode, too.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
No doubt. I think "easy" mode is meant to get new players into the game in a way that doesn't end in the oft-quoted "pirates came out of nowhere and killed my starter ship" time and time again.

Honestly, I think I'm most hyped about commissions giving you bounty-like payouts no matter where you are if you attack factions hostile to yours. I don't care if it's a small payout, that gives me incentive to kill everyone for both rep gain and credits. Your actions also increase the chances that your faction goes to war against another faction...

He's also increasing the availability of low-level missions, which is also a huge step in making the early game less feast-or-famine. I mean, I loved finding 30k payouts on 50 supplies right in the early going but the more modest stuff can still net a good profit. There just wasn't enough of them. A bunch of QoL improvements were also added for missions like dimming and putting at the bottom of the list missions you can't take and telling you how many days you have left to complete the mission.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I'm gonna love commissions. Already when I became hostile to several factions I began skirmishing in their systems and hunting trade fleets which was pretty fun. It'll be nice to now be able to make a tidy profit from it.

Tiger Shark
Oct 2, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

That sounds a bit excessive.

He's really good about feedback, always replying to threads on the official forums. The early game was pretty hard for new people even on easy. You've got normal mode, and he's already pointed out the code to make changes if desired. I seriously wish more early access games were like this.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
The fact that faction relations are no longer fixed and can change is already a pretty big deal and should make it easier to make friends with the Sindrian Diktat and the Luddic Church. Especially if the commission bounties still apply to pirates wherever you are.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The early game isn't so much hard as extremely tedious as there are very few things that you can do to earn money besides shadowing bigger fleets and waiting for a feasible in-system mission. You can find wimpy pirate fleets with two shuttles to take out on your own but it's boring and not very profitable, just like regular trade. I tried going into hyperspace a few times and it's basically a death sentence (ok more like Russian roulette) with a wolf+shuttles.

I guess I'm going to restart and do some of those sweet easy 50-100 supplies for pirates missions before I tank my rep with them.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

eXXon posted:

The early game isn't so much hard as extremely tedious as there are very few things that you can do to earn money besides shadowing bigger fleets and waiting for a feasible in-system mission. You can find wimpy pirate fleets with two shuttles to take out on your own but it's boring and not very profitable, just like regular trade. I tried going into hyperspace a few times and it's basically a death sentence (ok more like Russian roulette) with a wolf+shuttles.

I guess I'm going to restart and do some of those sweet easy 50-100 supplies for pirates missions before I tank my rep with them.

It's been said before in the thread but the Bounty Hunter -> Advanced weapon start gives you a Wolf and a heavy blaster. Refit the Wolf to take advantage of the blaster and you can handily defeat the duos of half health pirate frigates that start in Corvus. It may take a few matches in the simulator to get the hang of the Wolf but even without the phase skip it can handle small groups of pirates.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Cirofren posted:

It's been said before in the thread but the Bounty Hunter -> Advanced weapon start gives you a Wolf and a heavy blaster. Refit the Wolf to take advantage of the blaster and you can handily defeat the duos of half health pirate frigates that start in Corvus. It may take a few matches in the simulator to get the hang of the Wolf but even without the phase skip it can handle small groups of pirates.

That's a viable strategy but this has been a fundamental design problem in every game of this type since Mount & Blade's 'don't even think about trying to take on a Lord until you've killed dozens and dozens of rebel spawns'.

Sandbox early-game tends to suck.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Cirofren posted:

Yes you can, and I have done exactly that, but it doesn't make very much in the way of profit and it's tedious and boring hunting for those few small fleets. I haven't made enough to buy that second Wolf for sale in Corvus.

Early game progression was faster before this patch, although it does depend on supply costs/salvage.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
There's a bit of luck involved in getting a profitable series of either close bounties or trade disruptions and then you snowball. Midgame is excellent and the real meat but the early game can be over quite quickly in both this and M&B with knowledge of optimal skills or money making strategies. I've always preferred those knife edge early fights to the late-game where your well trained well equipped elites outclass everything around them and it's more valuable for you to be making broad tactical decisions that riding around lancing people in the face.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
Are the XIV Hegemony ships new to this patch, they look baller as hell. Picked up an XIV Onslaught last night and basically just shelved the rest of my fleet. Now I just cruise the galaxy in my lone onslaught and solo everything in the game. I can't ever chase anything down but that's ok because I am practically indestructible. I killed a dominator, an enemy onslaught, and conquest plus like a dozen mixed destroyers and frigates all at the same time. Its pretty awesome just burn driving into the middle of an enemy fleet and killing every single ship.

Also, what does the Auxiliary hull mod do? I've seen a couple ships with it but I haven't gotten one for myself yet.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Anticheese posted:

Apparently one of the new planets has a pirate military market.

:stare:

Is it even possible to get reputation high enough with pirates in vanilla to use that?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

FooF posted:

.7.1a patch notes (so far)

Commissions explained and they seem at first glance vastly superior to the investigation system currently.

D class hulls having a higher sensor signature is actually a really clever way to make pirates less surprising at the start.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

AtillatheBum posted:

Are the XIV Hegemony ships new to this patch, they look baller as hell. Picked up an XIV Onslaught last night and basically just shelved the rest of my fleet. Now I just cruise the galaxy in my lone onslaught and solo everything in the game. I can't ever chase anything down but that's ok because I am practically indestructible. I killed a dominator, an enemy onslaught, and conquest plus like a dozen mixed destroyers and frigates all at the same time. Its pretty awesome just burn driving into the middle of an enemy fleet and killing every single ship.

Also, what does the Auxiliary hull mod do? I've seen a couple ships with it but I haven't gotten one for myself yet.

+25% armor, +10% speed, +10% flux vent/cap, and some OP (2/4/8 for Buffalo/Hound/Kite). The kite loses its civilian mod. Heavy armor + armored weapon mounts will put a Hound (A) with almost as much armor as an Enforcer.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 1, 2015

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Alchenar posted:

That's a viable strategy but this has been a fundamental design problem in every game of this type since Mount & Blade's 'don't even think about trying to take on a Lord until you've killed dozens and dozens of rebel spawns'.

Sandbox early-game tends to suck.

Being a new player, I for one am loving the early game.

I had a bunch of false starts, as I'd get killed by anything that looked at me sideways. Once I took advice to use the Wolf and heavy blaster combo I could make some headway. I learned to quicksave after every engagement. I "figured out" trading and hired a shuttle for my fleet, but really just took advantage of an in-system disparity in the price of goods. I made good cash, bought a destroyer, and am now struggling again.

My destroyer is hearty but slow- the fleets of pirate frigates that I'd be able to avoid in the Wolf + Shuttle now catch up to me. They run circles around the destroyer and I don't have enough ships to make up the difference. I'm back down to 20k in cash and am wondering how I'll be making ends meet. But this is ok, its a challenge, and the very real threats around every corner keep me on my toes and make victory all the sweeter.

I have some more questions:

1) Are there missions not involving goods or bounties? Like courrier missions, or a mercenary outfit offers you work, or a faction doing something cool? I assume yes and I haven't found them yet, that or they'll be added at a later time.

2) Is ramming ever a valid tactic? Or are there ships built for this purpose?

3) Is there a way to make boarding more effective? Individual pilots always take out at least 1 or 3 marines, which seems like a lot. Do marines level up like crew? Other items to buy to help this? It'd be neat if boarding actions could be done during combat (letting me fulfill me dreams of a space-based Aubrey-Maturin style battes). Maybe tricky to implement though.

4) What are the plans for the mysterious Industrial tab in the character screen?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Count Roland posted:

1) Are there missions not involving goods or bounties? Like courrier missions, or a mercenary outfit offers you work, or a faction doing something cool? I assume yes and I haven't found them yet, that or they'll be added at a later time.

3) Is there a way to make boarding more effective? Individual pilots always take out at least 1 or 3 marines, which seems like a lot. Do marines level up like crew? Other items to buy to help this? It'd be neat if boarding actions could be done during combat (letting me fulfill me dreams of a space-based Aubrey-Maturin style battes). Maybe tricky to implement though.

4) What are the plans for the mysterious Industrial tab in the character screen?

1. The latter. The game is unfortunately still incomplete, and missions in particular are a very new feature where the groundwork has been laid down without being fully fleshed out yet.

2. Not really. It doesn't do notable amounts of damage, and anything you can catch up to in order to ram is generally something you don't want to get into close quarters with, while anything worth ramming is generally capable of getting out of your way.

3. This is currently a known bug where you're guaranteed to lose 1/3rd of all marines you send on boarding missions. Apparently it'll be hotfixed soon.

4. Basically, the long-term plan is for the sector economy and political map to be fully dynamic, with factions rising and falling based on various underlying factors which the player can influence for good or for ill. Becoming an industrial magnate is one of those options.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

1)no
2)You used to be able to ram really well with Monitors but that's been nerfed to death.
3)Boarding is bugged and always consumes about a third of your marines no matter what
4)eventually

Unrelatedly, I think that a lot of the new players getting their asses beat constantly could be solved by giving them less finicky ship options. Lashers are really good right now and require a lot less finesse than kiting in Hounds and Wolves.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I love those 0.7.1a patch notes. Alex knows what the hell he's doing, those are all great changes.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=10046.0

That transforming ship :pcgaming:

e: As far as ramming goes, you could probably design some kind of special ship for it with a zero range weapon that fires when you collide with the target.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Kenshin posted:

I love those 0.7.1a patch notes. Alex knows what the hell he's doing, those are all great changes.

The Starsector lifecycle:
1. New version comes out, changes everything, some controversial design decisions, a few bugs
2. Alex quickly fixes the bugs, and hones down the new gameplay systems based on community feedback
3. The long wait begins, but mods are able to fill the gap
4. New version comes out...

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

I think it should be made clearer that running away from engagements is not only viable but also necessary in the early game. As far as I can tell, all of the starter ships are fast enough that you can easily run away from anything that poses a threat to you. Getting caught by a pirate fleet looks bad on the fight screen but doesn't really matter when you can retreat from battles without taking a scratch.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

Count Roland posted:

Maybe when the Neutrino Corp mod updates for the new patch.

I love that thing.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

kikkelivelho posted:

I think it should be made clearer that running away from engagements is not only viable but also necessary in the early game. As far as I can tell, all of the starter ships are fast enough that you can easily run away from anything that poses a threat to you. Getting caught by a pirate fleet looks bad on the fight screen but doesn't really matter when you can retreat from battles without taking a scratch.

My only issue with this is that retreating is kind of a slog, and takes a while. I wish there were a way to autoresolve it, or if pirates just wouldn't pursue you if your ship is faster than all of theirs, but I'm sure that would be insanely breakable under certain circumstances.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

Count Roland posted:

I wouldn't say the Mimir is specifically built for it, but it system does make it okay at it.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

The Shortest Path posted:

My only issue with this is that retreating is kind of a slog, and takes a while. I wish there were a way to autoresolve it, or if pirates just wouldn't pursue you if your ship is faster than all of theirs, but I'm sure that would be insanely breakable under certain circumstances.

The pirates do sometimes let you go without chasing, but I'm not sure what triggers that decision. As far as I can tell it seems pretty random.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
There was an old abandoned mod with a super-high armor tug that had a burn drive system. That thing was awesome for ramming and could take out lightly armored capital ships with a couple of good hits.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I'm really starting to get into this game. I have about 45,000 credits saved up and I'm hopping between systems taking advantage of system-wide bounties.

A few questions though:

1) For salvaged weapons looted from battle are the pirate stations the best place to sell them? They seem to pay the best.

2) When should I move up to a destroyer?

3) I've noticed in larger battles I've mooched off of dead ships are listed as "disabled". Does this mean that once I get a fleet going any of my ships that are disabled can be repaired and put back into service assuming I win and hold the field?

4) What's the best way to get into trading? I've been looking at the commodities map and buying at low prices and selling at high prices using the colored outlines, but the tariffs always eat any profit I might've made. And I don't think I'm a bad enough dude for the black market yet.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

kikkelivelho posted:

The pirates do sometimes let you go without chasing, but I'm not sure what triggers that decision. As far as I can tell it seems pretty random.

I think they can't pursue if they can't match your burn speed. So kite pirates can't chase 10 burners.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Travic posted:

I'm really starting to get into this game. I have about 45,000 credits saved up and I'm hopping between systems taking advantage of system-wide bounties.

A few questions though:

1) For salvaged weapons looted from battle are the pirate stations the best place to sell them? They seem to pay the best.

3) I've noticed in larger battles I've mooched off of dead ships are listed as "disabled". Does this mean that once I get a fleet going any of my ships that are disabled can be repaired and put back into service assuming I win and hold the field?

4) What's the best way to get into trading? I've been looking at the commodities map and buying at low prices and selling at high prices using the colored outlines, but the tariffs always eat any profit I might've made. And I don't think I'm a bad enough dude for the black market yet.

1) Never sell weapons. You will regret it eventually.
2) When you can afford a good one that fits your playstyle. It helps to have a few good frigates and augmented engines but it's not vital if you find a Sunder or Medusa and the equipment to make them good.
3) There's a skill that adds a chance to recover disabled ships, and construction rigs increase that chance further.
4) Exploit shortages and procurement contracts. Normal trading is never profitable (the big trade fleets you see running around do it better than you possibly can and are often exempt from tariffs because of large scale bribery you can't do).

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

dis astranagant posted:

I think they can't pursue if they can't match your burn speed. So kite pirates can't chase 10 burners.

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing. When an enemy fleet "bumps" into you on the world map, you get to choose between fighting and retreating. Usually retreating places you into combat where you need fly to the edge of the map, but sometimes the retreat option just lets you go without a chase or a fight.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Travic posted:

3) It's a random chance whether or not a disabled ship can be salvaged or not, which can be improved by that one science skill repair skill. I can't remember if it kicks in at 5 or 10 points, but there it is. It's never guaranteed, though, and you only salvage the hull, not the weapons.

4) Basically, shortages. Regular trading isn't profitable, and by design it's not really possible to set up a stable trade route that you farm endlessly until you have all the money. You need to keep an eye on the news for reports of particularly high or low prices and rush to take advantage of them. Keep an eye out for procurement missions, too, those are usually both profitable and indicative of a shortage at the target station that could be worth capitalizing on. If you're lucky enough to be in a system where one planet has a shortage of something the other planet provides a lot of, take advantage of it as long as it remains profitable.

Note that prices shoot up pretty dramatically once you exhaust the available supply and drop down quickly once you satisfy the existing demand, so keep an eye on what the prices are like as you buy/sell more stuff - what should be a profitable run could go bad if you buy too much and try to sell too much of the same good.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

dis astranagant posted:

3) There's a skill that adds a chance to recover disabled ships, and construction rigs increase that chance further.

Wait, that skill applies towards the enemies as well? :stare:

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Count Roland posted:

All big armored ships with some burndrive-like shipsystem are good at ramming, though you have to be careful not to make the ram a killing blow as the resulting explosion will hurt you ship significantly. I have ship in the P9 faction mod that is built for ramming, the Tartif, which has a ramming subsystem that the AI can use, but the ship is currently pretty dumb due to being placed on a frigate, so I'm currently remaking that ship into a fat pig cruiser. I also have a lancer cruiser in that mod, but that does not ram as much as annihilates the ship that enters its path during its special burndrive, and the AI can't use it for poo poo so I'm working on that too. Also, I have yet to release the 0.70 compatibility update either, but that will probably come out today or tomorrow.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Wait, that skill applies towards the enemies as well? :stare:

AFAIK, no. The Dev said that there is a 5% chance for every disabled ship to be capture-able. Anecdotally, the 20:1 rate is probably correct but it feels like capturing ships is incredibly rare. I don't even bother with Marines due both the bug (guaranteeing 1/3 are lost), their price (~800-900/marine), and the relative rarity of even having a ship to board.

Glass Hand
Apr 24, 2006

Just one more finger, Trent.
The Wolf is indeed pretty finicky for a starter ship. For ease of use you can't really beat the Lasher's tactic of "get in the enemy's face, press F, and fire all the guns."

Speaking of finicky, that loving Shade. I decided to put one together with two AM blasters on the side turrets, a PD laser on the front turret, and Reapers on the hardpoints. It certainly works, but holy poo poo is there a lot to coordinate at once. In its first scrap with a real, non-simulation enemy, I forgot which weapon I had selected and sent a salvo of four Reaper torpedoes into the side of a defenseless, overloaded pirate Wolf (D). That must have been, briefly, the most terrified ship captain of all time.

kikkelivelho posted:

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing. When an enemy fleet "bumps" into you on the world map, you get to choose between fighting and retreating. Usually retreating places you into combat where you need fly to the edge of the map, but sometimes the retreat option just lets you go without a chase or a fight.

I've noticed that sometimes you're simply prevented from chasing an enemy because you have no ships that match their speed - this has happened to me several times when chasing down a pirate group remnant consisting solely of fighters. Even though I had a frigate swarm with Burn 10 and up to 160-170 tactical speed, apparently it wasn't good enough and the pursue option was greyed out.

Maybe the pirates are having the same issue in those instances. Alternately, maybe it's just random chance - pirates need to conserve CR too I guess.

Edit:

FooF posted:

AFAIK, no. The Dev said that there is a 5% chance for every disabled ship to be capture-able. Anecdotally, the 20:1 rate is probably correct but it feels like capturing ships is incredibly rare. I don't even bother with Marines due both the bug (guaranteeing 1/3 are lost), their price (~800-900/marine), and the relative rarity of even having a ship to board.

You don't have to buy them for this much. Go to Maxios, it's an indep planet in the Magec system that is "decivilized." There are no marines for sale on the open market, but the black market always has 30 marines per refresh, and every time I go there the price per marine is 150-250. It's basically the discount Salusa Secundus of Starsector.

Even if you don't actually use the marines, it's a great trade stop since you can always sell them elsewhere for a mint.

Glass Hand fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 1, 2015

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

FooF posted:

Huh, I've already captured 2 ships and I've barely gotten anywhere in the game. They're both lovely Kites or something that barely function, and several marines died getting each, but they've been mildly handy for decoys and its a cool mechanic. I just keep a small handful of marines and the odds of capturing these small ships has been 100% each time.

Also, dis astranagant, why shouldn't we ever sell weapons?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So I installed Exerelin and the supported mods but when I enter combat the screen is black and the UI sorta bleeds into the screen. I enabled GPU acceleration for it and now I at least get the background stars and poo poo but the UI still bleeds into the screen and I can't see any ships. I have shaderlib and lazylib installed, although version checker pops an error about wrong installation. Any tips?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Count Roland posted:

Also, dis astranagant, why shouldn't we ever sell weapons?

Because stations never stock the ones you want and higher end ships have upwards of a dozen mounts to fill. You can probably get away with selling light machine guns but they don't exactly sell for much. You can stash infinite amounts of crap in the abandoned station next to Asharu, so it's not even like they're wasting inventory space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Travic posted:

1) Selling spare weapons will not be a big source of profit. A pile of extra machineguns is going to sell for change, don't bother going out of your way for change and a half. If you pick up any rarer high-value weapons, like needlers or plasmas, keep them to put on a buddy ship later.

2) As soon as you can afford one, plus guns and enough crew people for it.

3) Yes, but it's not guaranteed. Tech skills and construction rigs can make you more likely to recover your own busted hulls. You will also lose most or all of its crew and guns, and have to burn a bunch of supplies repairing it up from 0/0 armor/cr.

4) Install communication sniffers at relays all around the sector. Without their updates, you're rarely going to find big cross-system shortages faster than the faction's own trade fleets will even it out. Or use the black market.

Snap up drugs, organs, firearms and supplies if they're ever at a very low price. Those are all in frequent demand and can get some v. good margins.