Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

VendaGoat posted:

:byodame: :Sugar is the enemy! Remove all SUgar from diet, now! DO it!
:byodood: :But Some type of sugar is needed to sustain all life as we know it.
:byodame: :Wrong! NO. NO! NO! NO! NONONONONONO DOn't you try to diet shame me!
:byodood: :No I'm not, I'm just trying to have a reasona.....
:byodame: :I'M OFFENDED!

I understand the point you're trying to make, but there actually is no such thing as an essential carbohydrate

any reasonable diet should include a decent percentage, but unlike vitamins, mineral and essential amino acids and fats, it's not strictly necessary to sustain life, your body can to a large extent convert to burning ketone bodies and FFAs and synthesize glucose from certain amino acids and odd-numbered fatty acids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

etalian posted:

Also things like fruit juice aren't healthy since they contain lots of sugar without fiber.

This is the same thread where we learned that apples are evil cancer carriers, right?

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
:gas:

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Marta Velasquez posted:

This is the same thread where we learned that apples are evil cancer carriers, right?

lol, do you think fruit juice is healthy? are you literally retarded?

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
unless you have scurvy, orange juice is about as healthy as coca cola

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Lol if you drink anything that is not water. I bet you're fat, too.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Dave Concepcion posted:

I understand the point you're trying to make, but there actually is no such thing as an essential carbohydrate

any reasonable diet should include a decent percentage, but unlike vitamins, mineral and essential amino acids and fats, it's not strictly necessary to sustain life, your body can to a large extent convert to burning ketone bodies and FFAs and synthesize glucose from certain amino acids and odd-numbered fatty acids

Why must you troll so thoroughly?

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

VendaGoat posted:

Why must you troll so thoroughly?

I hate two things in this world - fat + everything that leads to it, and the rolex yachtmaster II

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Dave Concepcion posted:

I hate two things in this world - fat + everything that leads to it, and the rolex yachtmaster II

:agreed:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

In all of human history your ancestors were too dumb to eat this miraculous thing but you can eat it for just $9 act now.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

Dave Concepcion posted:

I thought you said you needed fat to survive

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Seeds are a major food source, so I don't think that automatically discounts anything. Usually we prepare them somehow though by removing the seed coat or cooking them.

I've always been skeptical of the claim that they're some sort of a miracle cure (because nothing ever is), but they are a good source of fiber, and I'm assuming chewing might help with the digestion process. I've never heard of people drinking them in their water though. That sounds dumb.

Sunflower seeds: we remove the shell
Pumpkin seeds: crushed/ground by our teeth
Chia seeds: slippery motherfuckers that get pushed away from teeth rather than crushed
Flax seeds: offered in powder and oil form
All legumes: shell comes off
Grains and cereals/pseudocereals: ground by machine or mouth

I'd do something with powdered chia seed, because the macronutrient profile is indeed excellent, but yeah I haven't seen it offered in that form

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
I have acid reflux forever from eating too many Cheez-Its :saddowns:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Lol if you don't have your own artisan grist mill

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Dave Concepcion posted:

unless you have scurvy, orange juice is about as healthy as coca cola

What about this new fangled diet Orange juice?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Decrepus posted:

In all of human history your ancestors were too dumb to eat this miraculous thing but you can eat it for just $9 act now.

South Americans ate chia seeds as a regular food until the Spanish stopped them because the Spanish were really dumb.

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Stinky_Pete posted:

I thought you said you needed fat to survive

I don't hate the macronutrient, I hate the human condition

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

neonbregna posted:

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

neonbregna posted:

wtf is that?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you don't like the taste of water then you aren't thirsty.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Dave Concepcion posted:

I don't hate the macronutrient, I hate the human condition
are you, per chance, a member of Overweight Haters Ltd.?

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

symbolic posted:

are you, per chance, a member of Overweight Haters Ltd.?

lol id rather be fat than live in britain

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

what the gently caress is this

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Dave Concepcion posted:

lol id rather be fat than live in britain

Theyre just as fat as Americans though.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VendaGoat posted:

:byodame: :Sugar is the enemy! Remove all SUgar from diet, now! DO it!
:byodood: :But Some type of sugar is needed to sustain all life as we know it.
:byodame: :Wrong! NO. NO! NO! NO! NONONONONONO DOn't you try to diet shame me!
:byodood: :No I'm not, I'm just trying to have a reasona.....
:byodame: :I'M OFFENDED!

This post gave me AIDS

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

This post gave me AIDS

One Millennial down....

Millions more to go.

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

JB50 posted:

Theyre just as fat as Americans though.

luckily i live in oslo, norway

i see a few around but i don't know the name of a single fat person

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Dave Concepcion posted:

have you burned down a church yet

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

symbolic posted:

what the gently caress is this

For at least a century, historians have tried to discern war cycles, without much success. Those efforts really took off in the 1920s, right after World War I. However, all those attempts proved to be failures when World War II started.

The most well-known of these efforts is the Kondratiev cycles (K-cycles) theory, developed in the 1920s by Russian researcher Nikolai Kondratiev. He established a war cycle of approximately 50 years. However, his theory was discredited two decades later, since it didn't predict WW II, and in fact was contradicted by WW II.

The World War II anomaly

Supporters of K-cycles and other models tried to repair the theory by saying the World War II was an anomaly, an exception to the rule. But this was a major problem, because WW II should be their best case, according to George Modelski:

A large number of other international relations theories were based explicitly on the World War I experience. What would be more desirable is an argument that could handle World Wars I and II simultaneously without resorting to an ad hoc explanation (or simply writing off one of the wars as an exception to the general pattern). The two world wars of the twentieth century are simply too important to dismiss as exceptions, especially if the war / long-term growth linkage is limited to the past two centuries. If one of these wars appears to be an exception to the rule, it may be that either the rule is being misinterpreted or that the rule underwent some type of change during the twentieth century.

The following graph correlating war deaths to K-cycles shows what the problem is. .

The K-cycles are computed from a variety of economic series, the choice depending on the particular researcher. As this graphic shows, war deaths and K-cycles, are pretty well correlated up to World War I, but then completely diverged with WW II.

(We'll use "K-cycles" as a shorthand to refer to a class of related "long wave" theories.)

Different researchers had different theories to explain K-cycles. There are four major explanations, according to Joshua S. Goldstein:

Capital investment cycles. There's a massive period of over-investment of capital goods, which gives way to a period of under-investment and consolidations. Key variables are capital investment and production.

Innovation cycles. There's a cluster of new innovations that create a new "leading sector" of the economy. These innovations bring good returns, so there's a period of few innovations. Key variables are inventions and innovations, production, and employment.

Capitalist cycles. This is a Marxist ideological theory developed by Kondratiev to satisfy his principle sponsor, Leon Trotsky, and justify Communism. Imperalist expansion brings profit increases, but there's an inevitable crisis that harms profits. Key variables are the profit rate, class struggle, and production.

Monetary cycles. Major wars cause inflation, which causes economic cycles. Alternatively, gold production affects the money supply, causing economic cycles; Key variables are prices, gold production and war incidence and size.

These theories were developed during the period between the two world wars, but all of them failed to predict WW II. K-cycles fell out of favor for a while, but interest was revived in the 1980s and 90s.

http://www.generationaldynamics.com/pg/ww2010.home.htm

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

symbolic posted:

have you burned down a church yet

the one near me is stone

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Dave Concepcion posted:

the one near me is stone
how much is gasoline in Oslo?

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

symbolic posted:

how much is gasoline in Oslo?

around 14-15kr/l ($6.5/gallon)

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Dave Concepcion posted:

okay never mind

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Dave Concepcion posted:

Well of course not, you're in the city. Go to NYC and you'll also have a hard time finding the fabled American Landwhale.

I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008

Dave Concepcion posted:

What's the average mpg in the cars there?

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

I hate yankees posted:

What's the average mpg in the cars there?

45-50 or so maybe

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

notZaar posted:

Well of course not, you're in the city. Go to NYC and you'll also have a hard time finding the fabled American Landwhale.

nah, plenty of fat people there even if you discount all the obvious tourists around times square

cambridge was reasonably fat free though, boston not so much

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice

Hmm this is an interesting idea, how can we sell water in gaseous form and what do we name it

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

Snatch Duster posted:

For at least a century, historians have tried to discern war cycles, without much success. Those efforts really took off in the 1920s, right after World War I. However, all those attempts proved to be failures when World War II started.

The most well-known of these efforts is the Kondratiev cycles (K-cycles) theory, developed in the 1920s by Russian researcher Nikolai Kondratiev. He established a war cycle of approximately 50 years. However, his theory was discredited two decades later, since it didn't predict WW II, and in fact was contradicted by WW II.

The World War II anomaly

Supporters of K-cycles and other models tried to repair the theory by saying the World War II was an anomaly, an exception to the rule. But this was a major problem, because WW II should be their best case, according to George Modelski:

A large number of other international relations theories were based explicitly on the World War I experience. What would be more desirable is an argument that could handle World Wars I and II simultaneously without resorting to an ad hoc explanation (or simply writing off one of the wars as an exception to the general pattern). The two world wars of the twentieth century are simply too important to dismiss as exceptions, especially if the war / long-term growth linkage is limited to the past two centuries. If one of these wars appears to be an exception to the rule, it may be that either the rule is being misinterpreted or that the rule underwent some type of change during the twentieth century.

The following graph correlating war deaths to K-cycles shows what the problem is. .

The K-cycles are computed from a variety of economic series, the choice depending on the particular researcher. As this graphic shows, war deaths and K-cycles, are pretty well correlated up to World War I, but then completely diverged with WW II.

(We'll use "K-cycles" as a shorthand to refer to a class of related "long wave" theories.)

Different researchers had different theories to explain K-cycles. There are four major explanations, according to Joshua S. Goldstein:

Capital investment cycles. There's a massive period of over-investment of capital goods, which gives way to a period of under-investment and consolidations. Key variables are capital investment and production.

Innovation cycles. There's a cluster of new innovations that create a new "leading sector" of the economy. These innovations bring good returns, so there's a period of few innovations. Key variables are inventions and innovations, production, and employment.

Capitalist cycles. This is a Marxist ideological theory developed by Kondratiev to satisfy his principle sponsor, Leon Trotsky, and justify Communism. Imperalist expansion brings profit increases, but there's an inevitable crisis that harms profits. Key variables are the profit rate, class struggle, and production.

Monetary cycles. Major wars cause inflation, which causes economic cycles. Alternatively, gold production affects the money supply, causing economic cycles; Key variables are prices, gold production and war incidence and size.

These theories were developed during the period between the two world wars, but all of them failed to predict WW II. K-cycles fell out of favor for a while, but interest was revived in the 1980s and 90s.

http://www.generationaldynamics.com/pg/ww2010.home.htm

fucki ng millenials

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

plain blue jacket posted:

I remember a time when people weren't giving their kids stupid names

necroquoting this to say i too remember a time when people were naming their kids like "cornelius" or "eugene" or "agnes"

oh wait those are also retarded rear end baby names. i will poo poo on anyone named eugene

• Locked thread