Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
No need to carry huge backpacks when you can fit Dixit (minus board), 7 Wonders, Avalon, Coup, Dominion, Hanabi and Letters from Whitechapel in the box of Letters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Jedit posted:

Get a sports bag or tote. The one I have can take standard square boxes across its footprint in pairs and up to three vertical layers. It's also wide enough to take a portrait box side on along with a coffin box like Kemet or Legendary Encounters or a large box like The Gallerist with a smaller box like Celestia or Spyrium. I even managed to get Cthulhu Wars, Archipelago and Hyperborea in it once, but that was a stretch and more weight than I want to carry in it regularly.

Yea, sports/gym bags are really good. I can usually fit 5 or 6 good sized games in mine, with room for smaller stuff left over.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Chill la Chill posted:

I would like the know the size of the large backpacks you guys are using to hold games like dungeon pets. I just keep mine in the car with other games inside larger boxes so they don't move around as much.

Come on folks.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I have an IDF duffle bag because I'm a Serious Gamer. When I fill it to the brim and take it out of my trunk it looks like there is probably a corpse inside

I normally just bring games in this squared off collapsible laundry tote thing. My box corners are to die for

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Nonono, get the one with the zipper. It's $3 or $4, it's totally worth it.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Been wanting to dip my toes into board gaming and got Pandemic. That was really fun with my group of non board gamers.

Seems I have caught the bug though because now I'm itching for more. Went ahead and got Tash Kalar and Lost Cities to satiate my hunger with my girlfriend until we can cultivate a consistent group to play with. Will probably pick up Dominion next to help suck in a few friends that play Magic and Hearthstone as that looks up their alley.

What have I gotten myself into

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

SaltLick posted:

Been wanting to dip my toes into board gaming and got Pandemic. That was really fun with my group of non board gamers.

Seems I have caught the bug though because now I'm itching for more. Went ahead and got Tash Kalar and Lost Cities to satiate my hunger with my girlfriend until we can cultivate a consistent group to play with. Will probably pick up Dominion next to help suck in a few friends that play Magic and Hearthstone as that looks up their alley.

You did good, SaltLick.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Any Blokus players itt? 'Cause I'm still looking for a sensible warhammer tazos storage solution.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Blokus is a great game especially to introduce to non-gamers. My brother's SO is like rainman levels of spatial thinking advantage. Playing goes something like normal but at some point you place a piece then she says "Hah! Got you!" and when you're all :confused: she can show you exactly how you could do this or this or this next but she'll do this so that means you can only do this or that and no matter what you're hooped because she can still do this then that then that and that and win :unsmigghh:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

SaltLick posted:

EBag
May 18, 2006

Splizwarf posted:

It's Christmas list season, can I leverage the hivemind for some game recommendations? What's been this year's New Hotness besides Splendor?

We're not big 2-player games, or on direct confrontation aka "thwartsmanship".

Games we usually enjoy:
7 Wonders
Splendor
Castles of Burgundy (but nobody ever wants to try Trajan :smith:)
Dominion (for a few weekends every couple months, sort of a rolling burnout)
6nimmt
Discworld: Ankh-Morpork
Brass
Chrononauts
Steam (the recent remake of Age of Steam)
Ticket to Ride
Yggdrasil (someone please sell me the expansion! Or scan your expansion god cards?)
Arkham Horror
Tash-Kalar
Libertalia
Space Alert
Space Catan

Is [redacted] cool? It looks cool.

For euros I'd check out Concordia, Istanbul, La Granja, Orleans, or Hansa Teutonica.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Chill la Chill posted:

I would like the know the size of the large backpacks you guys are using to hold games like dungeon pets. I just keep mine in the car with other games inside larger boxes so they don't move around as much.

I left a game in my car once, and it got hot enough inside the car that the plastic insert warped.
Then again, it was 115 degrees outside that day :supaburn:

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

SaltLick posted:

You bought a board game. You opened it. We came

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I think the online gaming thread karked it, so I'm reporting here...

Dominion Online has FINALLY dropped on tablets (not smartphones yet).

It is NOT going down well. https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/48254/app-release-dominion-has-been-released-seriously-g

WHich is hilarious, given how much feedback they've had over the past three goddamn years to say YOU'RE loving IT UP YOU MORONS.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Decisions in Steampunk Rally

Decision zero: You have the option of choosing a character. At a casual level we're just picking whoever we think is most fun to try. I could see higher level play supporting a character draft or even a bidding system if some of them turn out to be overpowered. Characters either specialize in one type of power (steam, coal or electricity) or are based around something else, like adding armor or going very fast. Each character type has advantages and disadvantages at different points in the race.

Second, you have a draft, with all of the complexity that a draft provides. The game not only allows but also encourages hate-drafting with the ability to turn cards into dice or cogs. Switching the order of the draft every turn makes sure that no one gets too easy of a time sitting next to McNoob.

You have to consider a few things when you build:
1: Is there some synergy between any of the cards in your hand and your machine?
2: Can your machine support another card? Will adding a card greatly limit your options for other cards?
3: Would it be better to take dice, which allow you to power your car, or cogs, which allow you to vent, add pips to dice, and reroll them in the race phase?
4: Is your machine likely to take damage in the next round, and should you take a part just to destroy it?
5: Is the benefit of the item card (of which there is always one in every draft) worth passing up dice, cogs or a part?

The way that your cards can interact with each other would be exhausting to list, but to sum up: most cards either give you the ability to move, to remove die from other cards so that they can be used again, or to use die of one type to turn it into many die of the same or different type. But there's also cards that defend you, that generate cogs, or that do some combination of the above. Every character will want certain cards but not others.

Then you vent. Venting is probably the most perfunctory step, but people can also play item cards here. In general, you've either planned to remove pips from dice here in previous phases or not. People can play "gently caress you" cards in this or the vent phase, which aren't so bad because they tend to affect everyone equally. A few of the items in the game are "blue shells," in that they hurt the 1st place racer more than others. But, they also affect 2nd, 3rd and so on (unless you're the one using them.) Some items actually help other players in order to give you a boost, like one that takes spent dice off of opponents' cards in order to add them to your die pool. These all make for a comeback mechanism that doesn't feel quite as unjust as something like Mario Kart.

The race phase involves a bit of a push-your-luck mechanism with rerolls from cogs. If you are Broken Loose, you can just stack up on cogs to mitigate your ancient curse. When you add dice you MUST carry out all actions on a card, which sometimes means that you accidentally blow yourself up if you plan poorly. Some items can be used to mitigate the effects of terrain or even other cards, but because the game is a draft usually at least one other player knows you have an item card when you take it. (Item cards, while useful, are usually so situational that they are picked 3rd or 4th in our meta.)

As the game goes on your priorities shift. It's common for the race to start out very slowly as players focus more on building than racing. Near the end of the race players will usually take way more damage and be more reckless to stay in front of the pack. Even then, there's incentive not to take too much damage - in a tie, the player with more of their kart remaining wins.

In the drafting phase you're thinking long-term strategy mixed with the tactics of a draft. Is it worth it to take this card to play into your your build, or should you hate-draft a card in order to prevent them from getting it? Certain types of dice are gained from trashing certain cards. If you're lightning heavy it may be hard to get a gold-rimmed card because everyone wants those to add movement to their vehicles.

Also side note: Can someone tell me what the heck hansa teutonica is? It doesn't look like most euros i've seen.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

It's Christmas list season, can I leverage the hivemind for some game recommendations? What's been this year's New Hotness besides Splendor?

We're not big 2-player games, or on direct confrontation aka "thwartsmanship".

Games we usually enjoy:
7 Wonders
Splendor
Castles of Burgundy (but nobody ever wants to try Trajan :smith:)
Dominion (for a few weekends every couple months, sort of a rolling burnout)
6nimmt
Discworld: Ankh-Morpork
Brass
Chrononauts
Steam (the recent remake of Age of Steam)
Ticket to Ride
Yggdrasil (someone please sell me the expansion! Or scan your expansion god cards?)
Arkham Horror
Tash-Kalar
Libertalia
Space Alert
Space Catan

Is [redacted] cool? It looks cool.

I'd look at Castles of Mad King Ludwig and Steampunk Rally.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

From what I've read, not only is it full of IAPs and ads, you can't even play solo if you're offline.

e: hahahaha

quote:

In this case the "item" is a large amount of their IAP currency. Nothing individually costs $95.

What is shady, though, is that expansions cost 75 or 150 coins, and you can only buy 80 or 160 coins, so you're left with garbage that you can't buy anything with.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Thanks for the suggestions. I'd get a gym bag but I only use those until they're busted and get a new one. I might mistakenly bring it for boxing one day if I do. :ohdear:

canyoneer posted:

I left a game in my car once, and it got hot enough inside the car that the plastic insert warped.
Then again, it was 115 degrees outside that day :supaburn:
:wtc: hopefully it was just munchkin or talisman.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

You probably won't accidentally blow yourself up, but you can definitely throw out a lot more dice than intended due to "whoops that action path would kill me"

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

It is NOT going down well. https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/48254/app-release-dominion-has-been-released-seriously-g

WHich is hilarious, given how much feedback they've had over the past three goddamn years to say YOU'RE loving IT UP YOU MORONS.

Hey look there's something that Ascension is better at than Dominion now :v:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

thespaceinvader posted:

It's more than three years. This company are for all practical purposes Goko rebranded to try and get away from the toxic reputation they had. And they've failed, because there's literally nothing they could have done that is more wrong. Charging more per expansion than the entire Ascension catalogue put together, buggy app with frequent crashes and the Base set incorrectly programmed, adverts after every game even for paid users, forced online play even against the AI, and they're even using the legacy server code that nobody will ever trust because an early version stored credit card data as plain text.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Evil Mastermind posted:

From what I've read, not only is it full of IAPs and ads, you can't even play solo if you're offline.

e: hahahaha

The best bit is their heavily-repeated explanation for the required online connection: "the card logic is too complex to handle without a remote server" even though Androminion handled it just fine offline even on ancient Gingerbread devices. I used to play it on a Nook Simpletouch.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Impermanent posted:

Decisions in Steampunk Rally

Also side note: Can someone tell me what the heck hansa teutonica is? It doesn't look like most euros i've seen.

You fuckers are selling me on Steampunk Rally and I was trying to get rid of games (I'm finally letting go of my copy of Android, RIP game that should have been so much better than it is). I was already interested from the KS but now all these goddamn testimonies are making me consider it hard. What games would you say it's most similar to? What are its main drawbacks?

Also, Hansa Teutonica is super-Euro-y in that there's no hidden information and I don't think there's even that much variability in play. For lack of a better way of describing it, it's a decision denial type game, but not absolutely like a worker placement game. That is, when you deny what someone else wants, they have to spend extra resources pushing you off and putting you at an advantage, aka letting you relocate with a bonus, possibly to block the next player so that you get more bonuses. There's some semblance of tableau building as well. Despite what sounds like an interesting premise, I find it an incredibly dry game to actually play and because there's no hidden information, is SUPER prone to AP (I know someone who took 15 minutes for his turn, and a turn is basically an action). Definitely for the hardcore Euro crowd, less so for people who want a bit more of a hybrid. I also find that games play out almost the exact same way with very little variation, aside from maybe one player deviating from a usual tried and true strategy to "experiment." But eh.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

You fuckers are selling me on Steampunk Rally and I was trying to get rid of games (I'm finally letting go of my copy of Android, RIP game that should have been so much better than it is). I was already interested from the KS but now all these goddamn testimonies are making me consider it hard. What games would you say it's most similar to? What are its main drawbacks?

Also, Hansa Teutonica is super-Euro-y in that there's no hidden information and I don't think there's even that much variability in play. For lack of a better way of describing it, it's a decision denial type game, but not absolutely like a worker placement game. That is, when you deny what someone else wants, they have to spend extra resources pushing you off and putting you at an advantage, aka letting you relocate with a bonus, possibly to block the next player so that you get more bonuses. There's some semblance of tableau building as well. Despite what sounds like an interesting premise, I find it an incredibly dry game to actually play and because there's no hidden information, is SUPER prone to AP (I know someone who took 15 minutes for his turn, and a turn is basically an action). Definitely for the hardcore Euro crowd, less so for people who want a bit more of a hybrid. I also find that games play out almost the exact same way with very little variation, aside from maybe one player deviating from a usual tried and true strategy to "experiment." But eh.

I really like Hansa Teutonica, but I don't necessarily disagree with any of this either. For a eurogame, it's very conflict-heavy because of the way denial works. There is some variability in bonus tokens, but that's basically it. It does have two expansion maps that shake things up in pretty interesting ways, but I haven't managed to play with them yet.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

GrandpaPants posted:

You fuckers are selling me on Steampunk Rally [...] What games would you say it's most similar to? What are its main drawbacks?

I'm not really sure what to compare it to; saying it's like other racing games and/or drafting games is the most obvious but is a bit shallow.

As for drawbacks, I'd say that the simultaneous turns can be a bit hectic, especially with new players trying to understand how all the parts and dice work. And since everyone is on their honor to manage their dice, movement, and damage correctly, I guess it's officially a bad game™ since Broken Loose won't be able to contain himself from cheating.

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness

Evil Mastermind posted:

quote:

In this case the "item" is a large amount of their IAP currency. Nothing individually costs $95.

What is shady, though, is that expansions cost 75 or 150 coins, and you can only buy 80 or 160 coins, so you're left with garbage that you can't buy anything with.

This is how IAP currency purchases work. Sell only in amounts guaranteed to leave people with a little left over so that they feel a psychological compulsion to buy and spend more so that they aren't "wasting" anything. It's why Microsoft sold XBox Points or whatever for years instead of selling games directly (and plenty of others do the same). It's unethical at best, but it is a great way to maximize profits from OCD gamer types.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Since I finally played Tash Kalar and have reaffirmed yet again that Vlaada Knows Best, I saw a pic on BGG of someone who upgraded the tokens with nice wooden stickered discs. Anyone know where I can get some real good abstract-quality plain red/blue discs I could sticker up? I probably won't touch the other decks for a while and would probably just re-use these anyway.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

On the plus side, the whole Dominion thing made me realize there's a Galaxy Trucker app that seems pretty well-reviewed, so I can give that game a shot.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Chill la Chill posted:

Thanks for the suggestions. I'd get a gym bag but I only use those until they're busted and get a new one. I might mistakenly bring it for boxing one day if I do. :ohdear:

:wtc: hopefully it was just munchkin or talisman.

Well, it was King of Tokyo, which is somewhat of a shame because that's one of the few plastic inserts that are actually good at holding all the components.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Evil Mastermind posted:

On the plus side, the whole Dominion thing made me realize there's a Galaxy Trucker app that seems pretty well-reviewed, so I can give that game a shot.

Yeah it's good, the single player campaign is fun/funny and the multiplayer works pretty well. The matchmaking system is pretty bad though, there's a lobby but it sucks.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Jedit posted:

an early version stored credit card data as plain text.

A recent version (in maybe the last 3 months) spat the username and password into a local log as plaintext, so it hasn't got much better.

:siren:DO NOT GIVE MAKiNG FUN MONEY:siren:

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

taser rates posted:

I really like Hansa Teutonica, but I don't necessarily disagree with any of this either. For a eurogame, it's very conflict-heavy because of the way denial works. There is some variability in bonus tokens, but that's basically it. It does have two expansion maps that shake things up in pretty interesting ways, but I haven't managed to play with them yet.

The expansion maps are really good and change the game quite a bit in a refreshing way.

Recommendation goon who plays Brass/Steam -- you should probably give Terra Mystica a shot too. Read the rules and play all day at work here: http://lodev.org/tmai/

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 1, 2015

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Merauder posted:

I'm not really sure what to compare it to; saying it's like other racing games and/or drafting games is the most obvious but is a bit shallow.

As for drawbacks, I'd say that the simultaneous turns can be a bit hectic, especially with new players trying to understand how all the parts and dice work. And since everyone is on their honor to manage their dice, movement, and damage correctly, I guess it's officially a bad game™ since Broken Loose won't be able to contain himself from cheating.

GrandpaPants posted:

Actually the rules suggest you work in pairs to check each other's work in competitive settings (and BL already stated his problem was with hidden rolled dice, not public information rolled dice.)

Simultaneous turns are a bit hectic and experienced players tend to wind up shepherding new players through the race phase the first few times, but the upside of this is that even with that the game usually stays within its 1 hour time limit.

Also it isn't really very similar to 7 Wonders in terms of how it plays, but it very snugly fits that spot of "game to play with up to 7 people who want to play a gamer's game." Also it has a draft, like 7 wonders.

Downsides: Certain characters are going to be more difficult for new players to use until they understand the mechanics. A person sandwiched between two newbs is probably going to get the best cards they need all the time.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Evil Mastermind posted:

The Galaxy Trucker app is really great, and its mere existence (along with Ascension) makes you wonder how it's even possible to screw up making a Dominion app for so long. Just fire those assholes that screwed up online dominion play 5 years ago and hire the guys that make amazingly smooth apps that are already proven to be great!

For god's sake isotropic was pretty much already perfect and it was made by one guy in his spare time!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Elysium posted:

The Galaxy Trucker app is really great, and its mere existence (along with Ascension) makes you wonder how it's even possible to screw up making a Dominion app for so long. Just fire those assholes that screwed up online dominion play 5 years ago and hire the guys that make amazingly smooth apps that are already proven to be great!

For god's sake isotropic was pretty much already perfect and it was made by one guy in his spare time!

They already fired the original assholes. These are either the second or third set.

Intellectually, I know why they couldn't get Isotropic, but it seems like SUCH a waste to know that it's still running out there, still being used for playtesting, but we can't use it D:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah, I went through the basic GT tutorial and really liked it. The scrambling for pieces was a little rough since I was on my phone (and my finger was usually covering the tile) but I like trying to build the ship quickly and trying to cover as many situations as you can.

e: I should probably give Ascension another shot; I messed around with the app and I have that mini "starter kit" they were selling a while back, but I haven't done much with either.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Elysium posted:

The Galaxy Trucker app is indeed awesome.

I love Dominion and would never play it again if the only way to play it were on isotropic.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

homullus posted:

I love Dominion and would never play it again if the only way to play it were on isotropic.

That's funny, because I love Dominion and the closing of isotropic pretty much caused me to never play it again.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Elysium posted:

That's funny, because I love Dominion and the closing of isotropic pretty much caused me to never play it again.

Same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Elysium posted:

Same except I have Androminion.

I like Dominion WAY more than my gaming group, which is super-frustrating.