Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

new legendary animations

dreamer has an obnoxious pony rainbow on draw

flameseeker has runes flying out the pages and new footsteps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall

Liu posted:

Yeah TD has a lot of stupid poo poo in it but it's more than winnable, it's just that gw players are garbage.

They're garbage but they can still manage to do all the other HoT map metas. TD needs a big rework.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Adhesive Gamin posted:

The sand squall is actually a 30 second cooldown, the 10s listing is from when the trait was a stunbreak on using horn abilities, and never got removed.

I suppose that's a good thing because a 10s cooldown on it seems OP as gently caress, but it'd be nice if the tooltips weren't misleading/confusing. I hate it when games essentially lie about the rules.

Makes Elemental Bastion (heal on aura, Frost Aura on hit below 75% HP w/ 30s cooldown) a little more appealing, but I don't think Frost Aura + minor healing beats out Magnetic Aura + Boon Duration + Protection.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kessel posted:

flameseeker has runes flying out the pages and new footsteps

Ugh I'm doubting my switch to longbow now

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
drat, they replied to my ticket in about six minutes. I'm so used to Blizzard CS, but I guess Blizzard has a huge player base so it's understandable.

Alright so now I get to figure out what to play. I either go back to my weird flamethrower/grenade Engineer or my Mesmer that I haven't done much with. Or something new.

What's up with the specializations or whatever they're called? Are they BETTER than the base classes, or just different?

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Generic Octopus posted:

So no actual change to the Gerent event, ok anet.

I had to try at it for a week before finally lucking into a map that succeeded. I have since had more fun running around doing random poo poo on a free WoW trial.

No, now the north lane won't continuously loop after some gate was dropped.

No more crystalline ore for decorations is nice. No idea what they were thinking there.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Sprite141 posted:

No, now the north lane won't continuously loop after some gate was dropped.

Did they move Gerent into Dragon Stand?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Thumbtacks posted:

drat, they replied to my ticket in about six minutes. I'm so used to Blizzard CS, but I guess Blizzard has a huge player base so it's understandable.

Alright so now I get to figure out what to play. I either go back to my weird flamethrower/grenade Engineer or my Mesmer that I haven't done much with. Or something new.

What's up with the specializations or whatever they're called? Are they BETTER than the base classes, or just different?

There's basically no reason to not take most elite specializations from what I can tell. People have said Daredevil (Thief) and Berserker (Warrior) are both really lackluster, and that the rest are amazing. Tempest (Elementalist) is, in my experience, REALLY good, but people have also said it's one of the strongest elite specs. If you play an Ele, take Tempest. It's bonkers good whether you use the new Warhorn weapon or not (and Warhorn is also amazing)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the gerent event is genuinely really badly made and it has nothing to do with the players being poo poo. you can have commanders sitting there and explaining how to do everything for 15 minutes beforehand and it can all go to poo poo because some random rear end in a top hat walks up and tips the imaginary scale that says 'oh poo poo there's x amount of players here, spawn a fuckton of tough enemies that they can't handle'. and then if a single lane fails once in a phase then the entire event is over. there's no room for error in the slightest. that and the fact that breaking the defiance bar on the gerent is actively entirely harmful is goddamn stupid. there'll be people screaming NO CC over and over despite the fact that it's tacked on to pretty much everything and even if you have just 20-odd people hitting it with chill now and then the bar is going to go down pretty fast.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Haha Chak Gerent, the one boss pubbies can actually manage to bar break

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Generic Octopus posted:

Did they move Gerent into Dragon Stand?

Maybe that's why it always failed. I could have sworn I read that was a gerent thing, woops.

Hey about the tourney providing stuff to improve guild arena, is that for the representing guild only or per character? Cause if we have people from multiple guilds (like I'm doing) than each person will want the rewards for their guild.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Magres posted:

There's basically no reason to not take most elite specializations from what I can tell. People have said Daredevil (Thief) and Berserker (Warrior) are both really lackluster, and that the rest are amazing. Tempest (Elementalist) is, in my experience, REALLY good, but people have also said it's one of the strongest elite specs. If you play an Ele, take Tempest. It's bonkers good whether you use the new Warhorn weapon or not (and Warhorn is also amazing)

fwiw watch this Pro League match in which Caed uses Daredevil to demonstrate a masterclass in "gently caress you" pvp

http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2/v/27937802 match begins at around 2:53

anet will probably look at this and think daredevil doesn't need fixing, when in reality maybe two or three players in the world are good enough to pull this poo poo off

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

the gerent event is genuinely really badly made and it has nothing to do with the players being poo poo. you can have commanders sitting there and explaining how to do everything for 15 minutes beforehand and it can all go to poo poo because some random rear end in a top hat walks up and tips the imaginary scale that says 'oh poo poo there's x amount of players here, spawn a fuckton of tough enemies that they can't handle'. and then if a single lane fails once in a phase then the entire event is over. there's no room for error in the slightest. that and the fact that breaking the defiance bar on the gerent is actively entirely harmful is goddamn stupid. there'll be people screaming NO CC over and over despite the fact that it's tacked on to pretty much everything and even if you have just 20-odd people hitting it with chill now and then the bar is going to go down pretty fast.

they could just give it the exposed status that most other mobs have when you break their bar. At least in the SCAR lane where the gerent having it's bar broken is the "bonus" for doing "well" in that lanes event

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ugh the merciless weapons look so bad except maybe focus and rifle.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Kessel posted:

The leaker who's gotten everything right so far strikes again with info about the WvW overhaul:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3uznbc/major_wvw_overhaul_colin_j_ft_e/#s

The guild alliance thing wouldn't be that bad as long as "open" WvW was left alone.

For instance:

1.) I'm a level 80 full ascended Tempest in a tryhard WvW guild and get pissed that a level 22 Ranger took "my" slot on the map. I have to sit in a queue while my guild buddies have fun because some unwashed pubbie who's not even 80 got in before I did.

2.) I'm a level 22 Bearbow Ranger who just picked up the game, has no guild, and is trying WvW for the first time. I step into the map and immediately start getting screamed at by a bunch of people in some guild. I manage to join a small group of people that aren't in that dick guild, and we decide to take a camp. Two minutes later, 40+ enemies with the guild tag appear and kill us all in seconds. I never go back into WvW.

So there's a clear need for two different modes: One for the tryhards who always expect there to be a spot for them on any WvW map, and one for the casual pubbies who just play the hand they're dealt. We already have precedent for this dichotomy in sPvP, so it's not like it's a new idea.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I think the last time I played I had a lot of fun with Rifle warrior and grenade engineer, although I remember grenades making my fingers hurt.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

boho posted:

The guild alliance thing wouldn't be that bad as long as "open" WvW was left alone.

For instance:

1.) I'm a level 80 full ascended Tempest in a tryhard WvW guild and get pissed that a level 22 Ranger took "my" slot on the map. I have to sit in a queue while my guild buddies have fun because some unwashed pubbie who's not even 80 got in before I did.

2.) I'm a level 22 Bearbow Ranger who just picked up the game, has no guild, and is trying WvW for the first time. I step into the map and immediately start getting screamed at by a bunch of people in some guild. I manage to join a small group of people that aren't in that dick guild, and we decide to take a camp. Two minutes later, 40+ enemies with the guild tag appear and kill us all in seconds. I never go back into WvW.

So there's a clear need for two different modes: One for the tryhards who always expect there to be a spot for them on any WvW map, and one for the casual pubbies who just play the hand they're dealt. We already have precedent for this dichotomy in sPvP, so it's not like it's a new idea.

"Separate but equal"

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes

Thumbtacks posted:

I think the last time I played I had a lot of fun with Rifle warrior and grenade engineer, although I remember grenades making my fingers hurt.

Good news you can now make ground target skills automatically snap to your target so instead of clicking a bunch you just press whatever buttons you have the skills assigned to

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if they take out normal wvw to replace it with some half-assed guild thing then i can see a lot of people being unhappy

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
If I don't buy HoT how much am I missing out on before max? I think my engineer's like ~30?

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Thumbtacks posted:

If I don't buy HoT how much am I missing out on before max? I think my engineer's like ~30?

Nothing.

Roc
Nov 8, 2010

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

if they take out normal wvw to replace it with some half-assed guild thing then i can see a lot of people being unhappy

Pretty much the entire current wvw population would be unhappy about it

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006

Thumbtacks posted:

1. jaka itzel flax farm
2. ???

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Kessel posted:

fwiw watch this Pro League match in which Caed uses Daredevil to demonstrate a masterclass in "gently caress you" pvp

http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2/v/27937802 match begins at around 2:53

anet will probably look at this and think daredevil doesn't need fixing, when in reality maybe two or three players in the world are good enough to pull this poo poo off

I will say, Daredevil is a very pretty class to watch, and looks really fun. I like irritating, squirrely playstyles a lot. It seems a lot more 'flip around being an annoying, dodgy jerk' oriented than the stealth stuff I usually expect out of Thief

Magres fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 1, 2015

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Magres posted:

If you want Fulgurite you're better off doing Dragon's Stand because it's actually a map that can be won.

How do you get fulgurite from Dragon's Stand?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Magres posted:

I will say, Daredevil is a very pretty class to watch, and looks really fun. I like irritating, squirrely playstyles a lot. It seems a lot more 'flip around being an annoying, dodgy jerk' oriented than the stealth stuff I usually expect out of Thief

It's crazy fun. I just got my thief to 80 and have Daredevil mostly unlocked (just missing the elite skill). Holy crap is it fun, and I'm frickin' untouchable running through zones.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Roc posted:

Pretty much the entire current wvw population would be unhappy about it

yep. i can only hope that anet isn't planning to replace wvw with that system. if it was being added as some alternative to wvw then i could see that working, but they'd have to make a lot of changes to maps and the like.

on the plus side, maybe we'll actually get proper alliances now with an alliance chat.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
are there any necro or mesmer builds that are just power? i don't really like conditions if i can avoid them

I remember REALLY liking sword/pistol mesmer but i feel like it required a way higher level of coordination and attention than warriors did

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

are there any necro or mesmer builds that are just power? i don't really like conditions if i can avoid them

I remember REALLY liking sword/pistol mesmer but i feel like it required a way higher level of coordination and attention than warriors did

I run a power-focused Chronomancer with GS/sword+shield and it works very well.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Kenshin posted:

I run a power-focused Chronomancer with GS/sword+shield and it works very well.

Chronomancer?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

Chronomancer?

Mesmer elite spec: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Chronomancer

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

oooh, that looks neat.

I remember I think when I was playing before I ran greatsword/sword+focus, just pulled things into a group and let a greatsword phantasm clean house. I also feel like I liked torches too, but it's been like two years.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Kessel posted:

new legendary animations

yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes

oh my god it's amazing

:syoon::syoon::syoon::syoon::syoon::syoon::syoon::syoon:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Someone post the new bookshield animations as I may be abandoning longbow for this

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
God this is like the fifth update to the dreamer's visual effects. Someone at Anet has to be a huge brony or some poo poo.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

God this is like the fifth update to the dreamer's visual effects. Someone at Anet has to be a huge brony or some poo poo.

Remember the kerfuffle when they added the pony arrows? :allears:

Roc
Nov 8, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Someone post the new bookshield animations as I may be abandoning longbow for this

EDIT:

The Longbow (Kudzu) also got an update:

Roc fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 1, 2015

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

That aura goes really, really well with Infinite Light.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

are you loving serious :swoon:

rip longbow, you were a horse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
the hell happened to rytlock

• Locked thread