Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PushingKingston
Feb 25, 2005

What a BEARtiful face I have found in this place that is circling all round the sun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Nice

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Nov 29, 2015

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Haught
Jan 18, 2009

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Untitled by Dev Luns, on Flickr

pootiebigwang fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 29, 2015

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.

Soopafly fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 30, 2015

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Untitled by Dev Luns, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Hotel Globus, Firenze by alkanphel, on Flickr

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

drat dude

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
This thread taught me that I want to take more 1:1 shots.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I think you can do that best with a square frame medium format film camera. You know what to do.

Edit: landscapes

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 1, 2015

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

double post :kiddo:

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Noice.

Noice.

Noice.

365 Nog Hogger fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 1, 2015

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

Thoogsby fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 2, 2015

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Wanaka by Hannah, on Flickr

NZ by Hannah, on Flickr

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

one by Devin Wilson, on Flickr

two by Devin Wilson, on Flickr

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

These are cool and interesting... flickr link goes to a private page. What's the story here? Quite intrigued. Really like the second one.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Hell yes. Love how clean this one is. Did you use a polarized filter, post process the blues, or just happen to get everything perfect on the camera?

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?

I love this, except for the hazy mountains. I tired fixing it with some curves adjustment layers in Photoshop.

e:grammer

McLarenF1 fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 1, 2015

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

West Hills Animal Clinic by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Stop Diabetes by Tom Olson, on Flickr

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Hell yes. Love how clean this one is. Did you use a polarized filter, post process the blues, or just happen to get everything perfect on the camera?

That one basically came out of the camera that way. No filter, and I did so little post on it, iirc all I did was set the contrast to about -5 since it actually looked a tiny bit overdone naturally. New Zealand is amazing.

McLarenF1 posted:

I love this, except for the hazy mountains. i tired fixing it with some curves adjustment layers in Photoshop.

Ooh thank you, you are more skilled on photoshop than I! :)

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
A few pictures from Napa

DSCF8681 by Albert Kottke, on Flickr

DSCF8705 by Albert Kottke, on Flickr

DSCF8699 by Albert Kottke, on Flickr

Seagull Fiasco
Jul 25, 2011

I went to Albania and Montenegro, two stunning countries, and didn't really like anything I came away with. The pictures below are some of the ones I'm the least dissatisfied with. I guess I expected stunning mountain vistas and wasn't prepared for endless clouds.

IMG_2764 by norrskensren, on Flickr

IMG_2775 by norrskensren, on Flickr

IMG_2857 by norrskensren, on Flickr

IMG_2971 by norrskensren, on Flickr

Seagull Fiasco fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 1, 2015

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Norrskensren posted:

I went to Albania and Montenegro, two stunning countries, and didn't really like anything I came away with. The pictures below are some of the ones I'm the least dissatisfied with. I guess I expected stunning mountain vistas and wasn't prepared for endless butts.
IMG_2857 by norrskensren, on Flickr

This one has an amazing amount of atmosphere to it and you shouldn't be dissatisfied at all. The nonparallel structures match the ambiance of the fog so perfectly.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Clouds are super important to mountain landscapes, IMO, as they're the one of the few things that can make a scene unique. That is, if it's a popular tourist destination, everyone who visits on a clear day and takes a picture at high noon is going to walk away with photos that are all pretty close to identical. But if there's interesting clouds? You got an opportunity to do something unique because I guarantee no one will ever see those exact cloud patterns ever again.

The challenge then becomes producing quality with that opportunity.

(the other big differentiators are time of day and time of year)

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

McLarenF1 posted:

I love this, except for the hazy mountains. I tired fixing it with some curves adjustment layers in Photoshop.

e:grammer

The mountains are better but you made the sky look like rear end.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Wanna fave these but I can't.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
DSC07345 by Gautier Gillon, sur Flickr

DSC03908 by Gautier Gillon, sur Flickr

DSC02773 by Gautier Gillon, sur Flickr

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

what the gently caress posted:

These are cool and interesting... flickr link goes to a private page. What's the story here? Quite intrigued. Really like the second one.

they're short clips taken using an image intensifier-equipped low-light microscopy camera

bobmarleysghost posted:

Wanna fave these but I can't.

whoops, flickr sets videos to private apparently even when you upload them as public

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

double drat

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Tanglin Halt by alkanphel, on Flickr

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

hatchery by Max Piepenbrink, on Flickr

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich
Alabama. by Kyle Sonnenberg, on Flickr

King Metal
Jun 15, 2001

The first one I was kind of :downs: on, because I was experimenting shooting a wind surfer and was using high shutter speed/iso and forgot to change it for the next few hours. It still came out ok though, I think

King Metal fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Dec 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seagull Fiasco
Jul 25, 2011

Judge Schnoopy posted:

This one has an amazing amount of atmosphere to it and you shouldn't be dissatisfied at all. The nonparallel structures match the ambiance of the fog so perfectly.

Thanks! It's one that has been bugging me a bit; I wish I had included more of the structure on the right. Also, the obligatory I like big buttes and I cannot lie.

It's not that I think the clouds necessarily ruined any shots (on the contrary; and the photos from the nice clear days we had I like even less) but walking through drizzle and low clouds for several days just sapped me of inspiration and then I came back, looked at the photos I'd taken and saw all the opportunities I'd missed.