Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Don't know personally but after Inafune started pushing cartoons and demanding more money for inane poo poo and more games a lot of people decided that the game itself is bad because Inafune is bad.

Only game related complaint I've heard really explained is "it looks bad" which :shrug:

There are two big gameplay-related problems. The first is that the level design is really bad. Charging through enemies is a fun idea in theory but the levels are really poorly made for it. A lot of times, unless you know exactly what's coming up, you'll end up crashing into an enemy, falling down a pit, or just completely losing your momentum. It makes the game tedious and frustrating to play. When you finally figure out exactly what the level designer intended you to do, you don't feel like you've accomplished any kind of interesting challenge. The levels also rely on a combination of bland gimmicks and boring hallways containing a bunch of enemies in a row.

The other big problem is the controls. Beck doesn't feel good to control at all. His jump is weird, and not in a fun Mega Man way. The dash attack is garbage but the game is "built around it". It really felt like either the game wasn't playtested much or they simply ignored all of the playtesters.

Add this to the fact that everything else about the game is so bland and generic - the characters, the graphics, the music, the (completely awful, and not in a fun way) voice acting - and you end up with a bad-to-mediocre 2D platformer that feels like a licensed game that was made on the cheap and pumped out in a year.

Note: these impressions are based on the relatively recent backer demo. Maybe they've fixed it, but I doubt it, given that the only reason the demo was released in the first place was because they delayed the game for multiplayer/internet things. I don't see them making any major tweaks to the game itself now, especially if it's coming out in February. Unless you absolutely must play the game, I'd wait for it to go on sale. Maybe it's worth $5, not the $15 I paid for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I guess I have a hard time getting annoyed at $15 I wasted 2 years ago

I don't really back kickstarters anymore though considering that it's produced like 3 good games total. It's kinda weird that it just doesn't seem to work for some reason

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

I guess I have a hard time getting annoyed at $15 I wasted 2 years ago

I don't really back kickstarters anymore though considering that it's produced like 3 good games total. It's kinda weird that it just doesn't seem to work for some reason

I really hope Igarashi's Not-Vania works out.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The only good games that Inafune had say on were the Mega Man Zero series, and outside of those he has a bunch of really mediocre installments of Mega Man (his first few years as an actual producer on the series was with stuff like Legends, X4, 8 and &Bass), so I am not sure why it was felt that he was some obvious choice for carrying on the spirit of the good Mega Man games.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Monkey Fracas posted:

It will, igarashi wants to make a new castlevania game, inafune wanted to make a new megaman franchise

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Monkey Fracas posted:

I hope that one works out, and also Yooka-Laylee.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I believe in Shenmue, I believe in Yu Suzuki. :colbert:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Nintendo should just announce a kick starter for a retro Metroid Prime sequel at E3, then have journalists will cum all over the place and say they won E3.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

greatn posted:

Nintendo should just announce a kick starter for a retro Metroid Prime sequel at E3, then have journalists will cum all over the place and say they won E3.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Man, they really went silent on that didn't they? I feel bad for the game's director after the backlash it got online.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I guess a more accurate parallel would be if they had Shigesato Itoi come up and beg for money to make a Mother 4, since that's around as niche.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

FPzero posted:

Man, they really went silent on that didn't they? I feel bad for the game's director after the backlash it got online.

The real shame is it's probably really good, that director knows his poo poo, look at the games he has credits on. And it's one of their best development studios making it.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Is there a noticeable performance improvement to using an external SSD vs HDD with the Wii U? In shopping I realized I can get 120gb of SSD for about what I'd pay for 1tb of HDD. Seems like a huge difference but I buy my games all physical so I really just need it for Xenoblade's packs plus any more Wii virtual console games that come out. If the Wii U uses the whole drive regardless the extra space is functionally worthless to me.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Looper posted:

that kid's full of poo poo

In the kid's defense, he had a lot of practice because his dad works at nintendo and got the game early so he could play it before he was born.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Tender Bender posted:

Is there a noticeable performance improvement to using an external SSD vs HDD with the Wii U? In shopping I realized I can get 120gb of SSD for about what I'd pay for 1tb of HDD. Seems like a huge difference but I buy my games all physical so I really just need it for Xenoblade's packs plus any more Wii virtual console games that come out. If the Wii U uses the whole drive regardless the extra space is functionally worthless to me.

I think USB2 is your bottleneck so it shouldn't matter.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

greatn posted:

The real shame is it's probably really good, that director knows his poo poo, look at the games he has credits on. And it's one of their best development studios making it.

That's how I feel about it. The track record is there and the main 4 player mode seems fun enough. I mean sure, I want a true main series entry in the franchise but this doesn't look bad as a spin off.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

greatn posted:

I guarantee there wouldn't be nearly the amount of nerd rage if it didn't have the Metroid name on it and it was just called "Federation Force." I guess the question then would be if anyone cared about it at all, unless the dev studio was involved in a previous Metroid game and they could go all "from the studio that brought you..."

raditts fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 1, 2015

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

I guarantee there wouldn't be nearly the amount of nerd rage if it didn't have the Metroid name on it and it was just called "Federation Force."

Or if they hadn't switched to a chibi art style which serious core gamers are apparently allergic to.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

The only good games that Inafune had say on were the Mega Man Zero series, and outside of those he has a bunch of really mediocre installments of Mega Man (his first few years as an actual producer on the series was with stuff like Legends, X4, 8 and &Bass), so I am not sure why it was felt that he was some obvious choice for carrying on the spirit of the good Mega Man games.

Umm Legends 1 and 2 are the best mega mans though?

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

raditts posted:

I guarantee there wouldn't be nearly the amount of nerd rage if it didn't have the Metroid name on it and it was just called "Federation Force."

Also, the "Blast Ball" gameplay they showed is basically identical to Rocket League, except with all the fun sucked out

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Looper posted:

Umm Legends 1 and 2 are the best mega mans though?

Never played them, and have heard that they are at the very least interesting games, but a new Legends was certainly not what was kickstarted :)

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Never played them, and have heard that they are at the very least interesting games, but a new Legends was certainly not what was kickstarted :)

There actually was a lovely soulless Legends kickstarter but it failed because Inafune is way overreaching with his crowdfunding

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
But then it got funded because it was always funded from the start so they turned the kickstarter into the DLC campaign or something. It was pretty gross.

Polo-Rican posted:

Also, the "Blast Ball" gameplay they showed is basically identical to Rocket League, except with all the fun sucked out

Yeah, I'd say this had a huge impact on the negativity as well, Nintendo Wold Championship was looking fairly hype at that point and then all momentum was shattered with that boring-rear end gameplay, it was the lowest point of the event and that was before we had any idea it was Metroid related (bar some sharp-eyed internet people that pointed out the similarities in the HUD)

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
So are digital purchases still device bound or did Nintendo figure out that accounts exist?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

FPzero posted:

They were asking for it when they put the Metroid Prime name on it.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Shai-Hulud posted:

So are digital purchases still device bound or did Nintendo figure out that accounts exist?

They are, but you can move licenses to a new console with a phone call to customer service if you lose/break the old one. Additionally, cloud saves are coming in the future.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Zonekeeper posted:

They are, but you can move licenses to a new console with a phone call to customer service if you lose/break the old one. Additionally, cloud saves are coming in the future.

Where'd you hear about cloud saves. I must have missed it.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Sam Faust posted:

In the latest investor panel/meeting.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Cloudsaves seem borderline useless for the Wii U, unless you just need to delete some saves to make space.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Sam Faust posted:

Strategy meeting back in October. The Nintendo Accounts will support save backup.

Fumaofthelake posted:

Cloudsaves seem borderline useless for the Wii U, unless you just need to delete some saves to make space.

It mentioned being able to use the save data on other devices (i.e. using the same save file on console and mobile) so the backup part seems like more of an added bonus to letting you access the same save data on multiple devices than a standalone feature.

Zonekeeper fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 1, 2015

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The main advantage to cloudsaves would be if you owned a game for both a console and portable, and wanted to have access to your save from either device. I think it's something that should come part and parcel with cross-buy.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the real reason it's taking so long is because they can't decide what kind of lakitu pun to call it

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Looper posted:

the real reason it's taking so long is because they can't decide what kind of lakitu pun to call it

TRANSFARRING

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Supercar Gautier posted:

The main advantage to cloudsaves would be if you owned a game for both a console and portable, and wanted to have access to your save from either device. I think it's something that should come part and parcel with cross-buy.

Or, in the case of the Wii U, not losing your data if the console kicks the bucket, which happened to me about half a year after I got it. Even after I sent it in for a repair and got my "data" transferred to a new unit, they claimed to be unable to recover save data. Luckily I enjoyed Lego City Undercover enough to start from the beginning after already having played my lost save halfway through...

Our launch PS3 also borked itself last year, but since we back things up to the cloud, that was a far less traumatizing experience.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Takoluka posted:

TRANSFARRING

I really hope this catches on someday.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

It's gonna be pikmin loading your saves into an onion which then takes off for the night.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

oopsie rock posted:

Or, in the case of the Wii U, not losing your data if the console kicks the bucket, which happened to me about half a year after I got it. Even after I sent it in for a repair and got my "data" transferred to a new unit, they claimed to be unable to recover save data. Luckily I enjoyed Lego City Undercover enough to start from the beginning after already having played my lost save halfway through...

Cloud saves will also be useful for those of us that live dangerously and use flash drives.:cool:

Did they even say it was coming to the Wii U and 3DS? Hopefully it's not NX only.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Shai-Hulud posted:

Nintendo accounts have been a thing for a couple of years now, in the form of NNIDs. The NNIDs can only be bound to one 3DS and one Wii U at any given time, but the purchases are linked to the NNID.

At some point they're going to replace NNIDs with a new system called - wait for it - "Nintendo Account."

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sam Faust posted:

It's gonna be pikmin loading your saves into an onion which then takes off for the night.
Wario eating your data and then farting out the 1s and 0s into the cloud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Sam Faust posted:

They're even putting Cloud in SSB4 for some sweet cross promotion

• Locked thread