Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Typical conservative. He loves playing the victim so much that he fantasizes he is like Christ for not "bowing down" to Superman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

The guy on the right just looks like he was heading home from roller derby practice.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

MacheteZombie posted:

The guy on the right just looks like he was heading home from roller derby practice.

This takes place in a post-global warming Batman '92 universe.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Like I get the idea, that they're a well oiled machine in lockstep, Captain America is a team member rather than a leader, but there's got to be a more interesting way to show that.

Cap at front centre, running towards the camera, other members running alongside in a 5-person formation, ideally with the whole thing between two parallel buildings to reinforce the shape?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Chocolate Teapot posted:

Cap at front centre, running towards the camera, other members running alongside in a 5-person formation, ideally with the whole thing between two parallel buildings to reinforce the shape?

It brings to mind an unfavorable comparison to Edge of Tomorrow in the boot camp sequences, and those were so much less awkward.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
That BvS clip definitely has a Watchman vibe to it. There's just something in the look, lighting, and color tinting that makes me think about Watchmen.

Hbomberguy posted:

The instant people lose interest in marvel, the current yardstick for how you're supposed to make big movies, perspectives on a ton of other films will shift along with it.

I pretty much agree with this. People who think that Marvel can just keep blasting out the same formula year after year at achieve decades of dominance at the box office aren't being realistic. That won't work, and never has. At some point people get tired of the quips and the teases for underwhelming developments and the fake continuity.

Note: This is not the same as saying that superhero movies are gonna crash.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Literally The Worst posted:

objectively incorrect. it's a send-off for pre-crisis batman, Year One is the reboot

unless you mean the dark kngiht rises for some reason which makes no sense

I meant the comic but you're right, I wasn't expressing myself very well. I realize we don't really need a Batman or Superman backstory, I just wanted to see them function within this universe first and am afraid the film will be too dense and crowded to get it all in coherently.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I'm a little skeptical of the Marvel formula just dying off anytime soon, because the appetite for fluff action movies is basically limitless, and that's exactly what they're shooting for every time. Individual garbage movies can and will flop even if they say "Marvel" on them of course, but expecting audiences everywhere to suddenly have their taste change to align with yours seems a little bit silly. I'm kind of getting tired of most of them myself, but I also recognize that loving ANT MAN of all things just grossed half a billion worldwide.

e: FWIW I'm rooting for BvS to be good, and am glad it seems to be shooting for something different than just copying Marvel, by the way.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

That BvS clip definitely has a Watchman vibe to it. There's just something in the look, lighting, and color tinting that makes me think about Watchmen.

I pretty much agree with this. People who think that Marvel can just keep blasting out the same formula year after year at achieve decades of dominance at the box office aren't being realistic. That won't work, and never has. At some point people get tired of the quips and the teases for underwhelming developments and the fake continuity.

Note: This is not the same as saying that superhero movies are gonna crash.
The instant people start cutting together youtube videos and fake-trailers about how the avengers movies are just quips and inconsequential violence and setups for future movies, people will spontaneously realise it's garbage.

Like how the vague star wars prequel-hate only really crystallised into actual arguments once RLM came out with a video that told them what those arguments were.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

I meant the comic but you're right, I wasn't expressing myself very well. I realize we don't really need a Batman or Superman backstory, I just wanted to see them function within this universe first and am afraid the film will be too dense and crowded to get it all in coherently.

Relax friend, the movie's gonna be great.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BiggerBoat posted:

The density of off the wall ideas is a partial explanation for why comic books (and sci-fi to be honest) are popular to begin with.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

The density of off the wall ideas is a partial explanation for why comic books (and sci-fi to be honest) are popular to begin with.

Honestly, the more unexplained stuff in your sci-fi movie the better for the most part. It's world BUILDING, not world EXPLAINING. Over-explaining everything is the death of wonder.

In 1977 Star Wars didn't explain poo poo except in the broadest of strokes "We've got space nazis, space magic, and a giant planet killer powered by... gently caress you, we're not telling. It has an off switch is all that matters."

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Hbomberguy posted:

The instant people start cutting together youtube videos and fake-trailers about how the avengers movies are just quips and inconsequential violence and setups for future movies, people will spontaneously realise it's garbage.

I don't think that people will think it's garbage, I think they'll realize it's formula. But I think we're 5 years away from that.

I think the same thing will happen to Walking Dead when people realize that it's never going to resolve. It's just going to go on and on and on by design. People should Wikipedia a soap opera if they want to see how that ends.

One big elephant in the room with Marvel movies is that they've basically burned through 40 years of story highlights in 10. This can't keep going. Eventually they're going to run out of stories to adapt and be in totally unknown territory...and then what?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hbomberguy posted:

Like how the vague star wars prequel-hate only really crystallised into actual arguments once RLM came out with a video that told them what those arguments were.

Those videos already exist, in both the serious and the comical.

The shift will come when cultural interest shifts to something else. At that point the flaws will become unacceptable instead of merely 'part of the film. '

Eventually they're going to run out of stories to adapt and be in totally unknown territory...and then what?

I really don't think that is an issue. The Marvel movies are not Harry Potter where they are straight adaptations of books. They at best borrow some plot points and often make drastic changes.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

sean10mm posted:

Honestly, the more unexplained stuff in your sci-fi movie the better for the most part. It's world BUILDING, not world EXPLAINING. Over-explaining everything is the death of wonder.

In 1977 Star Wars didn't explain poo poo except in the broadest of strokes "We've got space nazis, space magic, and a giant planet killer powered by... gently caress you, we're not telling. It has an off switch is all that matters."

This is a very important point, but it's poised against hardcore comic nerds wanting secret origins and explanations for everything. I would be cool with never knowing how Wonder Woman has her powers or what her origin is in the DC movies, for example. One of my favorite things about The Dark Knight was that the Joker had no origin, he just was.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

One big elephant in the room with Marvel movies is that they've basically burned through 40 years of story highlights in 10. This can't keep going. Eventually they're going to run out of stories to adapt and be in totally unknown territory...and then what?

That's easy, they just have to start writing story arcs.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, it's Larry Fong, Snyder's usual cinematographer, who he noticeably didn't have for Man of Steel.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, it's Larry Fong, Snyder's usual cinematographer, who he noticeably didn't have for Man of Steel.

That definitely explains why BvS looks so much different from MoS.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

ImpAtom posted:

The shift will come when cultural interest shifts
what

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Equeen posted:

That definitely explains why BvS looks so much different from MoS.

Yep. I liked how Man of Steel looked, but great to have Fong for a movie about these pop culture icons clashing.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I thought MoS looked great, too. What's the difference between Man of Steel and a Fong movie style?

I have no idea what to look for in the teaser to compare it to MoS. Is it just the sepia, or is it something other than that?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Hey, it happened to westerns.

As for what constitutes "Watchman style" I can't really put my finger on it. Lighting, framing, color timing are all important but there's something else too. Something in the way the scene is blocked.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm not really sure what the confusion is there?

As for what constitutes "Watchman style" I can't really put my finger on it. Lighting, framing, color timing are all important but there's something else too. Something in the way the scene is blocked.

It looks very much like a series of comic panels. (In a good way.) The coloring, the framing, all of it.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah. Higher contrast than MoS in both lighting and color is an easy one. But there's an ability to make the characters pop in the frame, to make them larger than life, that I can't explain, but is instantly recognizable. I'd love to have someone who knows how to write about this stuff put it in words.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Drifter posted:

I thought MoS looked great, too. What's the difference between Man of Steel and a Fong movie style?

I have no idea what to look for in the teaser to compare it to MoS. Is it just the sepia, or is it something other than that?

Oh, I wasn't dissing the style of MoS, it just that from the trailers BvS looks visually different. It seems to have a greater variety of colors, if that makes sense.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

remember the decade that batman basically did wacky sci-fi stories mixed with TWO FACE IS ROBBING THE SECOND BANK OF GOTHAM ON FEBRUARY 2ND AT 2:22? that was awesome

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
that was, strangely enough, not the decade that explained superman having a secret identity as being a result of his super hypnosis

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Hbomberguy posted:

Nobody really cares about those things besides the kind of people who post on Web Forums, tho

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah. Higher contrast than MoS in both lighting and color is an easy one. But there's an ability to make the characters pop in the frame, to make them larger than life, that I can't explain, but is instantly recognizable. I'd love to have someone who knows how to write about this stuff put it in words.

Yes. The characters are lit, shot, and blocked like action figures or statues...somehow. Like that weird sense of unreality you get from macro photography but not as pronounced.

Hat Thoughts posted:

Nobody really cares about those things besides the kind of people who post on Web Forums, tho

Literally millions of people watch CinemaSins and How It Should Have Ended...

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah this would be fun to read if anyone can do it. I love reading about cinematography.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

The stories will become good?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Literally millions of people watch CinemaSins and How It Should Have Ended...

You are right

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hat Thoughts posted:

Who do you think is at the leading edge of the cultural zeitgeist these days?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
It's still not ppl who post on Web Forums but ya I'm wrong to say those things don't hit a wide audience (who do influence stuff) .

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

A big thing about Fong is that he uses a lot of particles and diffusion tricks to dress scenes and make them feel more alive. That, combined with his stronger emphasis on heavier lighting, makes things seem a bit more fine art stylized in frame than others. How a cinematographer frames stuff influences how a director storyboards and works around them since it was a collaborative process.

For instance, in the few scenes I was in, there was much more emphasis on depth and crossing routes, and far more usage of smoke and sparks than anything seen in MoS. If you look at the second trailer (where I'm just a fuzzy blurry guy on a gurney in the background and one of those things in motion), you'll see a whole lot of movement even that far back between crossing extras and smoke and sparks, with the foreground still being filled with stable objects in focus. It's shot a lot like a lot of classic action photography. If you compare that with the MoS action sequences, you'll see there isn't nearly as much motion or foreground/bg tricks involved in MoS.

edit: his scenes probably took twice as much setup on average than MoS scenes, and a lot came from just crossing and populating

There's also more involved in how people are angled and shot, and they type of lighting used, but that's the shorthand of it.

Darko fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 1, 2015

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

So basically BvS is gonna be loving beautiful and one of the better films of 2016. :)

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Seems like DC/WB is making Tiger tanks to the Marvel movies' Shermans

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
I think it's the other way around https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8vFGQ0uJQc

BvS will no doubt be pretty good, but I'm more amped up for Suicide Squad.

Literally The Worst posted:

literally just deadshot and that was because ostrander liked writing him

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

The ones that make money

Oh sure, obviously that kind of "immortality". I thought within the story, some of them were immortal, like the demon guy or witch lady.

Blood Boils fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 1, 2015

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nah the metaphor is dead on. The Tiger Tanks were far superior in their craftsmanship and longevity, but took longer to make and more effort.

The Shermans were cheap, easy to mass produce fodder that didn't hold up nearly as well but did the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
:thurman:

• Locked thread