Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

frank.club posted:

I'm really sure Braben himself said that Gravity was modeled

He did.

David Braben posted:

Majogl posted:

Also is the gravity in this clip modified in any way? Europa is supposed to have roundabouts 0.13G and based on the hang-times of the SRV it seems higher. It could be just a feeling though.

On the gravity - the SRV does stick you to the surface using the thrusters on the wheels, unless you manually thrust. The gravity should be correct.

If you were to turn off your SRV's thrusters, you would feel it more. As it is, the SRV is actively compensating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Can confirm that planets gave appropriate gravity. If you shoot space rocks for collectibles the chunks fly off and away on low-G worlds and just kind of fall out on high-G worlds.

SRV is also easier to control on worlds around 1G.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

So I got this game on Steam sale. Right now I'm just sort of wandering around to random star systems around the starting point. I did the space trucker thing and sold some water purifiers to an agricultural station. Is there somewhere I should be heading? Or should I be hanging out around the starting area?

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
If there is anything more than "extremely rare" in terms of frequency for outposts on worlds beyond the bubble I'm thinking that I may finally take a trip out into the black once I've got my SRV and synthesizers loaded into my ship.

I don't want to do it in an Asp, am too poor for the gimmick Exploraconda and dislike the DBS for reasons.

Does the Keelback fit out to a decent jump range? I'm not looking for 30+, but 23-25 would be nice. I made it halfway to Sag A in a 22ly Cobra before Glyph called all goons back to Harry's for expansion and control wars.

Hell.. If I can get the Python to 18-20LY I'll just take that out with minimal armament.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Grondoth posted:

Are there still courier missions? I love taking a message 350 light years in 15 minutes for a pretty decent reward.

Almagest is the best for this. Lots of courier missions, basically not much else. The higher your exploration-rank is, the better the payout.

LCL-Dead posted:

If there is anything more than "extremely rare" in terms of frequency for outposts on worlds beyond the bubble I'm thinking that I may finally take a trip out into the black once I've got my SRV and synthesizers loaded into my ship.

I don't want to do it in an Asp, am too poor for the gimmick Exploraconda and dislike the DBS for reasons.

Does the Keelback fit out to a decent jump range? I'm not looking for 30+, but 23-25 would be nice. I made it halfway to Sag A in a 22ly Cobra before Glyph called all goons back to Harry's for expansion and control wars.

Hell.. If I can get the Python to 18-20LY I'll just take that out with minimal armament.

Just try this:

quote:

[Python]
L: 3E/G Pulse Laser
L: 3C/G Cannon
L: 3E/G Pulse Laser
U: 0I Heat Sink Launcher
U: 0I Chaff Launcher
U: 0I Point Defence
U: 0A Shield Booster

BH: 1I Lightweight Alloy
RB: 5A Power Plant
TM: 6D Thrusters
FH: 5A Frame Shift Drive
EC: 4D Life Support
PC: 6D Power Distributor
SS: 6D Sensors
FS: 4C Fuel Tank (Capacity: 16)

6: 6E Cargo Rack (Capacity: 64)
5: 5D Shield Generator
5: 5A Fuel Scoop
4: 4A Auto Field-Maintenance Unit
3: 3A Auto Field-Maintenance Unit
3: 1C Advanced Discovery Scanner
2: 1C Detailed Surface Scanner
---
Shield: 318,49 MJ
Power : 17,27 MW retracted (85 %)
19,86 MW deployed (97 %)
20,40 MW available
Cargo : 192 T
Fuel : 16 T
Mass : 473,9 T empty
681,9 T full
Range : 25,14 LY unladen
18,06 LY laden
Price : 87.913.470 CR
Re-Buy: 4.395.674 CR @ 95% insurance

I was incredibly lazy, so there's still a lot of cargo space in it. I guess in Horizons you can put in a class 6 module for landing vehicles instead of one of the cargo holds.

Range with full tanks and empty cargo: 25,12 ly/jump. Can be boosted in Horizons to 50,24 with the right materials. Go hogg wild.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

Literally Kermit posted:

100% Metal indeed. Thanks man, hope you liked the payoff!

If you are feeling frisky, there's the bright O-star in the middle of the Spirograph Nebula. But everything and I mean EVERYTHING in that system is bright beautiful blue.

Oh here it is!

Landable and blue and RINGS.

This was a good choice of location for my first landing.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Dr. Tough posted:

So I got this game on Steam sale. Right now I'm just sort of wandering around to random star systems around the starting point. I did the space trucker thing and sold some water purifiers to an agricultural station. Is there somewhere I should be heading? Or should I be hanging out around the starting area?

Basically I just started taking the bulletin board missions I could. One threw me out 10 or so jumps from my starting point and I forgot where I started from, and so we work from there.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

I was incredibly lazy, so there's still a lot of cargo space in it. I guess in Horizons you can put in a class 6 module for landing vehicles instead of one of the cargo holds.

Range with full tanks and empty cargo: 25,12 ly/jump. Can be boosted in Horizons to 50,24 with the right materials. Go hogg wild.

Hot drat that is sexy. The larger landing modules will hold more vehicles, did I see that somewhere earlier in this thread or something?

It's going to be interesting to see how the extra modules will balance out the min/max PvP builds.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

Basically I just started taking the bulletin board missions I could. One threw me out 10 or so jumps from my starting point and I forgot where I started from, and so we work from there.

I've been checking bulletin board stuff too, but it seems like 90+% of them are unavailable to me right now.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
I can't fight in this game worth poo poo. Just got my Sidewinder interdicted by some random npc in what looked like a Hauler and lost the fight :smith: It worked better in the tutorials. I even got myself some gimbal guns to make up for my crap aim.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 1, 2015

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
The reason the board doesn't just generate missions specifically for you and your rank is that they have this daft notion that people go and wing up to run missions, and the game allows people to see and take the same missions on the board at any given time. However you still need the required rank, and you have to be pretty quick when taking the missions, because the refresh time on the boards is roughly 5 minutes.

In reality very few people do this (if any, since most don't know it's even a thing that you can do.) So the system really just leads to people being annoyed that there's all these missions the game is showing them that they can't take.

:frontear:

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Crossposting from the PGS thread, but the topic is of general interest to all fine Horizon havers or wanters.

radintov and Ejecto Moronic and I are doing a little investigating the upgrades between base game and Horizons. We went to the goonholm for this one, of course.

The "bad" news is some features have been changed, because the surfaced are now a lot more detailed.

This is the current Capricorni 2:

This is horizons Capricorni 2:

Note that it's possible the big crater in both are one and the same what with them polar draw lines, whatchacallem.

Here is Capricorni 3 currently in Live:

I call this one "Gon" and the planet it co-orbits is Nad. :v: and bonus points for it being a blueish ball at that.

Edit: whoooops, 4 and 5 are the co-orbiters. More on this later, then.

Alas, it appears its color is now brown, but the following set of images is radintov's first decent into the new Cap 3:

http://imgur.com/a/syEPK

At least it is wrinkly!

Cap 3 has a Diamond Frog settlement called "Schade Settlement", with "Schade" being an obsolete old german word for "Harm" or "Damage" :getin:

It is not very big. It is that little building to the right of Ejecto's Cutter, here:

Gosh, it is so us, isn't it? :allears:

There's ten settlements total in 63 G. Capricorni, out of six landable bodies. Cap 10 has no atmo, but it has ammonia based life which I assume is a whole new ball game for :frontear: until atmosphere landings anyway. Cap `12 has a very thin helium atmosphere, so no dice. We can land on Capricorni 1 -5 and the moon of Capricorni 7.

Yesterday we confirmed Betelgeuse 2 was landable. We weren't the only ones jumping to go there, and if you didn't see it before, check out this guy's vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4ugKLiQwU0

I bring this up because Betel 2's surface temp of 1200K or so. Its orbit is in fuel scoop range, actually. If you can land there, you can land pretty much anywhere.

Next up, stupid SRV tricks!

Literally Kermit fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 1, 2015

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Is it even possible to land on Betelgeuse 1 without exploding from overheating?

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Keep posting more Horizons poo poo since I am locked out of it due to my lovely machine for the next few months.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Literally Kermit posted:

the following set of images is radintov's first decent into the new Cap 3:

http://imgur.com/a/syEPK

Speaking of that crater, I took my SRV down the side: accounting for around 10 minutes of me and Ejecto faffing about, it took me half an hour, 2/3rds of my SRV fuel tank and two standard repairs to get to the bottom alive.

Also we tested the effectiveness of driving an SRV over an Imperial Cutter:

The iCutter exploded pretty quickly. :v:
Turns out that the SRV deals constant impact damage while taking very, very little in return.

And a couple of choice screenshots:

http://imgur.com/a/88qOL

radintorov fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 2, 2015

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I've heard of the Lonely Planet, but I've never heard of the Lovesick Puppy Planet before now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceskuwaJCuY

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here
So a mission gave me 13 slaves last night, and then the server died, so the mission failed, leaving me with 13 slaves in Federation territory that I didn't really want to deal with. I jettisoned them into a nice canyon. They'll do fine.

Electrophotonic
Mar 14, 2010

They're gonna stop
Saturday night
So you better have fun now
I PREDICT

^^^ Yeah, SRVs drill down like they're made of unobtanium or something. Which they are.

We do of course need to devise some tactics around the SRVs potential for clingy destruction. Well then again, it's not like it's ever going to make it into release!

:ssh: :frontear:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Dr. Tough posted:

These are questions I wonder myself as well since I'm a fellow newbie to the world of Elite: Dangerous. This thread seems to be just for the veterans though so I'm wondering if there's a good website or something that can help answer questions like this and others that I might have as someone starting out and who just upgraded to an Adder.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Electrophotonic posted:

^^^ Yeah, SRVs drill down like they're made of unobtanium or something. Which they are.

We do of course need to devise some tactics around the SRVs potential for clingy destruction. Well then again, it's not like it's ever going to make it into release!

:ssh: :frontear:

I think I'd prefer them fixing it to not, since SRVs that can pierce the heavens probably aren't ever going to be viable weaponry. And it gets in the way of srv-sketball.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
The one thing disappointing for me in the Horizons Beta: I wanted to try bombing a starport using mine launchers as bombs. Because, eh they have proximity fuses, same thing as bombs when dropped onto a planet, right?

Sadly dropping them onto a space city just made them vanish instead of exploding. Bah.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Libluini posted:

The one thing disappointing for me in the Horizons Beta: I wanted to try bombing a starport using mine launchers as bombs. Because, eh they have proximity fuses, same thing as bombs when dropped onto a planet, right?

Sadly dropping them onto a space city just made them vanish instead of exploding. Bah.
I think Kaker tried it last night and basically they ignore gravity so they just sit wherever you drop them. Clearly the answer is a Federal Gunship with Torpedos instead :getin:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Got the Warthog today and hot drat is it awesome.

I'm having a blast shooting spacemans even though I haven't figured out how to set 90% of these buttons. This is one hell of a set up and I have no regrets.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Is there a way to map the controls to the way they are on the xbox one? I'm trying to use a 360 controller and I started going through the bindings, it seems like the controller presets they offer still make use of the keyboard.

Sorry about the dumb question

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Libluini posted:

Mercurius posted:

I think Kaker tried it last night and basically they ignore gravity so they just sit wherever you drop them. Clearly the answer is a Federal Gunship with Torpedos instead :getin:

Yeah
http://gfycat.com/DisguisedSelfassuredIndianabat

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

MarcusSA posted:

Got the Warthog today and hot drat is it awesome.

I'm having a blast shooting spacemans even though I haven't figured out how to set 90% of these buttons. This is one hell of a set up and I have no regrets.

Thanks jerk, I'm $300 poorer because of this post (or I will be once Amazon gets them back in stock).

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

I'm trying to figure out what works best for a 360 controller. Are horizontal thrusters or yaw more important in dogfighting? I'm not looking to be elite top killer pvp but I don't want to start off playing gimped.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

punch drunk posted:

I'm trying to figure out what works best for a 360 controller. Are horizontal thrusters or yaw more important in dogfighting? I'm not looking to be elite top killer pvp but I don't want to start off playing gimped.

You need both, really. Fine aim adjustment without yaw would be hell and every thruster matters. I'd take yaw if I had to choose though.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I'm new to the game, what determines your hyperjump range? I just got told that I couldn't make a jump of about 9.15 LY, but that's where my nav computer told me to go. Why would it plot a route I can't actually jump?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

tofes posted:

Is there a way to map the controls to the way they are on the xbox one? I'm trying to use a 360 controller and I started going through the bindings, it seems like the controller presets they offer still make use of the keyboard.

Sorry about the dumb question

All the bindings at least have optional keyboard bindings, but if your computer recognizes the controller you have plugged in as a 360 it should show you options for “Default Context”, which is probably what you’re looking for. If you want to get more complicated, read on.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

So in case anyone else made the same mistake(?) I did and got an XBox One Elite controller thinking that you can actually make use of the back paddles as additional buttons, I have good news for you: I've got a control scheme you're (probably) going to love.

Honestly, the best part of this is the realization that you're not restricted to DPad and Bumpers when using the contextual buttons; despite them not showing on the overlay, they'll still bind properly.

As usual, the downside is that :frontear: doesn't provide a way to modify this stuff properly except through the XML-- trying to bind it in the controller UI will result in a "modifer+button" bind instead of a contexual bind, the difference being the latter will let you hold down ABXY and then hit the followup at your leisure, whereas the former requires you to hit both buttons at the exact same time, and will still occasionally fire off one binding or the other in addition depending on what you have it bound to.

punch drunk posted:

It varies by ship. I got away for a long time with no lateral thrust, though.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

super fart shooter posted:

I'm new to the game, what determines your hyperjump range? I just got told that I couldn't make a jump of about 9.15 LY, but that's where my nav computer told me to go. Why would it plot a route I can't actually jump?
Weight Mass.

Did you buy cargo or fuel after you plotted the jump?

edited: for spacegame, in space.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

tooterfish posted:

Weight Mass.

Did you buy cargo or fuel after you plotted the jump?

edited: for spacegame, in space.

Ah, that must have been it, I'll have to remember that. Thanks

Also, I just got interdicted by the feds saying that I was a suspected smuggler or something, would they have just said that to anyone, or has someone actually been paying attention to all the easy money slave missions I've been running? I don't think I've ever actually been scanned coming into port with contraband....

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Guys, I take it back. I-I I think I'm gay for the Corvette :ohdear:

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

:getin:

Welcome home, citizen.

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Dec 2, 2015

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Ah, that must have been it, I'll have to remember that. Thanks
Yeah, everyone's done it at least once. See also: trying to boost through the docking slot and slamming into the station wall.

Also, I just got interdicted by the feds saying that I was a suspected smuggler or something, would they have just said that to anyone, or has someone actually been paying attention to all the easy money slave missions I've been running? I don't think I've ever actually been scanned coming into port with contraband....
Missions will tend to spawn "appropriate" NPCs, so sometimes you'll get the cops following you, sometimes a pirate who's heard you're carrying a nice haul, and sometimes some idiot who wants to offer you an alternative job (which is never worth it).

You'll see people occasionally complaining about being followed by dozens of these guys at once. That's because they've been resetting the missions board for two hours while watching Netflix. :mmmhmm:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dessert Rose posted:

Thanks jerk, I'm $300 poorer because of this post (or I will be once Amazon gets them back in stock).

That is awsome! I don't think you'll regret it because while it maybe overkill the controls feel so perfect that you can't imagine playing with anything else.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

AndyElusive posted:

These are questions I wonder myself as well since I'm a fellow newbie to the world of Elite: Dangerous. This thread seems to be just for the veterans though so I'm wondering if there's a good website or something that can help answer questions like this and others that I might have as someone starting out and who just upgraded to an Adder.

IRC is always good for questions - all i do is ask dumb poo poo.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I like it a lot (especially the massively better pitch in supercruise compared to the Anaconda) but I'm still not buying it until I can get C4 beams or autos.

I also personally think it looks way better than the Anaconda, especially how the flight deck looks from the bridge. The way the Anaconda flight deck looks like a straight rectangle from the bridge despite the ship being slightly contoured has always slightly bothered me and the Corvette thankfully is obviously tapered to fit the shape of the ship so it doesn't look slightly wrong. I assume the Anaconda is actually fine and it's just the weird perspective on the bridge causing my brain to not like how it looks but it still bothers me :shrug:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Mercurius posted:

I like it a lot (especially the massively better pitch in supercruise compared to the Anaconda) but I'm still not buying it until I can get C4 beams or autos.
I took one look at it and was like 'I want that.'

Now I just have to figure out how to grind up Fed ranks (I have read the rank up link in the OP) and earn tons of money for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

EponymousMrYar posted:

I took one look at it and was like 'I want that.'

Now I just have to figure out how to grind up Fed ranks (I have read the rank up link in the OP) and earn tons of money for it.

Robigo runs actually help with Federation rep. So win/win.

I discovered something neat while completing a mission:

I want to go to there...

Glamor shot.

Those don't seem so big.

Oh.

Oh.

• Locked thread