Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Why does barrage exist anyway? Did they worry that there were not enough grenade options in a game based on a movie series where unless I am forgetting, exactly one grenade ever appears and it doesn't even explode?

There are two grenades, and one of them doesn't explode. The other blows up an AT-AT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

I havent played an online FPS for quite a while but coming from the godawfulness/awesomeness of SW Galaxies I had to try this. Pretty impressed. They seem to have made leveling up surprisingly easy, but maybe Im the only one that feels this way.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

spiralbrain posted:

coming from the godawfulness/awesomeness of SW Galaxies I had to try this.

:psyduck:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

SWG was awesome and anyone that thinks otherwise can go to hell. It was horribly bugged and imbalanced making it the perfect goon game

So my impression from reading the thread is that this is a game you can jump into pretty quickly as long as you basically understand how an FPS arena-style game works? Do the guns you acquire as you level up make a big difference? I think CoD Black Ops 2 was the last time I played online and it was amazing how you weren't really playing the same game as everyone else until you got the right guns unlocked. I mean all I ever want to do in Star Wars is fly things but I guess that's not going to be possible at every given moment.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 1, 2015

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

tadashi posted:

SWG was awesome and anyone that thinks otherwise can go to hell. It was horribly bugged and imbalanced making it the perfect goon game

So my impression from reading the thread is that this is a game you can jump into pretty quickly as long as you basically understand how an FPS arena-style game works? Do the guns you acquire as you level up make a big difference? I think CoD Black Ops 2 was the last time I played online and it was amazing how you weren't really playing the same game as everyone else until you got the right guns unlocked. I mean all I ever want to do in Star Wars is fly things but I guess that's not going to be possible at every given moment.

I would say that learning to play is a bigger hurdle to Get Gud than straight unlocks, not having a jet pack is a pain but not an insurmountable problem.

On the surface the gunplay looks similar to all other modern shooters but shooting is simulateously imprecise and laser accurate. It is kind of hard to explain without trying it yourself

You can do well without the cards, at any rate. And if you play with a buddy (or one is assigned to you) then you can steal his gear for free

Rob Haldorson
Aug 16, 2014

Skoll posted:

Turning Point kinda feels meh as gently caress. It's one of those modes you're only going to do well on if you have a team who's willing to work together. Unfortunately, I got saddled with a bunch of assholes who decided to sit back, as rebels, and try to snipe their way to victory with T-21s... In a loving king of the hill mode.

Isn't that all the modes? The only mode in which TDM is appropriate is Blast. All other modes require non-rear end in a top hat teammates.

Rob Haldorson
Aug 16, 2014

Chomp8645 posted:

This isn't my experience though. Some idiot sniping in the back as Boba Fett the whole match can have lots of points because the game gives you extra for streaks and what not. There are a number of things you can do in this game that aren't that helpful to the team but rack up big points.

This is my biggest problem with the game. I can handle balancing issues and the occasional glitch, but the fact that killing streaks give more points than taking objectives honestly angers me. As much fun as I'm having with this game, I can see myself putting it down if they don't swap their "point paradigm" in the next patch.

Rob Haldorson fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 1, 2015

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I had some morons on each team yesterday going up on top of the sandcrawler on tattoine in drop zone just getting kill after kill while the whole server was just chatting for them to loving stop and play the objectives. They would just say back "scoreboard." Hide KDR in the scoreboard entirely unless its for blast imo. As someone mentioned, you can keep it overall as a menu option somewhere to see it overall, but don't show it during games.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I've never seen the highest kills player on the winning team in WA.

In regards to flight:
The tutorial flat tells you it's power vs speed
Locking on is actually for both torpedoes and lasers. As long as you're locking on, missiles will follow, and you will shoot somewhat accurately.
When you fully lock on your shots are more accurate, but more importantly you can fire and forget a torpedo.

In general I've found i have a higher dps at max speed in tie fighters than slower speed. Idk if it's better accuracy or higher quality fighter better balancing speed/power. The latter point is super important against A-wings since good pilots won't let you stay locked for long, and why the faster lockon for ties is hella strong.

In regards to shields vs. Speed. Shields is better in WA and Supremacy, but speed is better in squadron imo. The reasoning is that shields suck on the rear, and unless your pursuer is an x-wing, you cannot shake them without lots of quick maneuvers and/or running along valleys.

In a bit of irony, the interceptors are the best at escaping. I'm basing this off personal performance because interceptors and fighters are the only craft that have escaped me. Can't tell you how many A-wings I've easily followed in a tie fighter, causing them to crash or blowing them up.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

tadashi posted:

I mean all I ever want to do in Star Wars is fly things but I guess that's not going to be possible at every given moment.

Play fighter squadron, realise that you do more damage if you go slowly, wreck everyone, level up.

As for the other game modes, blaster pistols are the way to go for the small game modes (drop pod/droid run) and you unlock a decent one very early, the DH-17(?). They're also good indoors on the bigger maps/modes. Other than that, the faction starter blaster rifles are actually pretty ok, and you won't feel outclassed by later unlocks very much.

If you've played much Battlefield in the past, you'll be familiar with the sky lord type, who spends the whole match re-enacting Top Gun and killing you. Good news! I've not seen anything even close to that happening in this.... yet. (And yes, I do know Battlefront =/= Battlefield)

e: also what ^ that guy said.

Pork Pie Hat fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 1, 2015

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

tadashi posted:

You get the meat of your unlocks straight off the bat. Most everything else is just frosting. I really like the rebel starter rifle, and the imperial one is decent as well. Thermal detonator is nice (if not quite as useful as impact grenade), scout pistol is good for when you overheat, ion torpedo should never leave your hand in a vehicle map. I honestly don't even use the jetpack that much.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

This isn't my experience though. Some idiot sniping in the back as Boba Fett the whole match can have lots of points because the game gives you extra for streaks and what not. There are a number of things you can do in this game that aren't that helpful to the team but rack up big points.
It would be nice if the end of match announcements would include stuff like "Most damage to walkers" and the like.

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Nasgate posted:

I've never seen the highest kills player on the winning team in WA.

:smug:

Granted it was because I got to roll Boba Fett twice and the AT-AT in the last phase, and I wasn't jerking off by the imperial spawn points, I was actually roaming between the objectives.

Also the other team was pretty bad so I lived way longer than I should have.

So did barrage really get nerfed? That makes me irrationally happy because gently caress barrage and everyone who uses it.

Rob Haldorson posted:

This is my biggest problem with the game. I can handle balancing issues and the occasional glitch, but the fact that killing streaks give more points than taking objectives honestly angers me. As much fun as I'm having with this game, I can see myself putting it down if they don't swap their "point paradigm" in the next patch.

I'd sure like to see them take it to absurd extremes like you only get credits and exp from objective points.

year199X fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 1, 2015

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
So what should I load now that barrage is poop? Impact grenade?

I think they fixed the unlimited charges for scan pulse. I'll still be buying lots of scan pulses.

And alien skins. Love me some alien skins.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

tadashi posted:

The really nice things about gun progression in this game are:

A.) there aren't 10 billion different guns to unlock, and...
B.) once you have the gun, that's it- you don't have to then unlock a bunch of stupid attachments just to make it good/usable.

Also good news everyone! :eng101: If all you want to do is fly stuff, you can fly all day every day in Fighter Squadron mode.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Imo barrage is still good at its main job. Thermal and impact have nowhere near the area denial, which is way more important while sieging objectives.

In terms of objective points? I feel it's pretty fine with the exception of control. They need to either reduce the time between point ticks, or add a time window to capture points. It's really frustrating not getting points because you died while capturing.

The thing is, if you go for objectives, you get kills in addition. I'm usually outscoring allies with less deaths and more kills.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

hhhat posted:

So what should I load now that barrage is poop? Impact grenade?

I think they fixed the unlimited charges for scan pulse. I'll still be buying lots of scan pulses.

And alien skins. Love me some alien skins.

The secret is that impact was always better than barrage.

They seem to have mildly tweaked it's blast radius down slightly? This is OK.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Jakku is really fun, pretty biased in favor of the Rebels but it's mostly because 90% of the Imperials don't realize that if you lose one point you lose them all in that zone

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
Infinite charges glitch is fixed now.

There's time at the end the round to say 'gg' while the scoreboard displays, which is nice.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Summit posted:

There's time at the end the round to say 'gg' while the scoreboard displays, which is nice.

You mean talk poo poo?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

More importantly after the game starts everyone loads in but gets to wait another 15-20 seconds or so to show off your emotes

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Dunno, impact has never bothered me. The time it takes someone to impact you is longer than it takes to kill them usually and you almost never get more than 1 guy. If you're rolling bodyguard trait (which you probably should in any situation that you plan on being close in for) then there is a good chance that the impact won't even kill you. Not sure the base direct damage on impact, but I know trait level 2 lets you live through it, unsure about level 1. Also makes homing shot not a 1-hit, and reduces damage from vehicles.

If barrage does have a longer time to trigger it'll feel fairer, but it'll still be a really good option. Like it'll be more along the lines of the thermal detonator than the impact grenade, where both are good but for slightly different uses.

One thing they could do for objective points in walker assault is give everyone in an area points for taking an uplink, because as is only the first people gets anything. If they capped killstreak bonus and put some award bonuses around objectives in that would also help (award bonus can get really high if you're hitting a bunch of them).

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Thom P. Tiers posted:

You mean talk poo poo?
Nobody has called me the "n-word" yet. Which is nice because I was sure that was just a certainty in multiplayer games these days.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Casimir Radon posted:

Nobody has called me the "n-word" yet. Which is nice because I was sure that was just a certainty in multiplayer games these days.

What, is this 2007? All the cool kids are cucks nowadays

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Jakku is also a great example of how useful speeders can be with a super open outdoors map and no enemy fighters to contest them

not very

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Milky Moor posted:

are there patch notes somewhere?

well new from the beta

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Mostly good changes so far. Combat seems more weighted towards guns than splodes and I'm happy about it.

Really liking the side switching in walker too.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Casimir Radon posted:

I have seen this several times. Each time I say "reported" and actually report them for verbal abuse in Origin. Then I watch them have an absolute meltdown over it as they chest beat and proclaim how cool and edgy they are and how I'm just some nerdy liberal SJW loser. It's a good time. :shobon:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Skoll posted:

Getting the Jakku update now. 1.68 gb.

:toot: Yay

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Siets posted:

I have seen this several times. Each time I say "reported" and actually report them for verbal abuse in Origin. Then I watch them have an absolute meltdown over it as they chest beat and proclaim how cool and edgy they are and how I'm just some nerdy liberal SJW loser. It's a good time. :shobon:
I've seen people accused of hacking, and somebody from the opposing team said "gently caress you" to me which was odd because I didn't manage to pull off tripping the walker that time.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

So far barrage is even better at controlling points than before, and a bit worse at general killing. Color change for no-go zone is nice to make seeing enemy markers, and I've noticed some vehicle powerup spots being slightly different.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Just saw a final round of walker where the rebels didnt get a single y wing. That's a first for me

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Oh poo poo Jade Empire is free on Origin

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Just played some fighter squadron round where we won with the other team getting below 100. In one round they got under 50.
And no, not all of the times were the winning team the Rebels.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

ShineDog posted:

Just saw a final round of walker where the rebels didnt get a single y wing. That's a first for me

Yeah but I bet they got lots of kills :getin:

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

drat, did they change something about how they do matchmaking in the patch or is just literally everyone playing Turning Point? There's like nobody playing in any other modes and I wanna play the new map in Fighter Squadron :smith:

(I'm on PC and am in the southeast US if that matters)

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh poo poo Jade Empire is free on Origin

Never played it, is it good?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Hopper posted:

Never played it, is it good?

Its a Bioware game, with all the good and bad that implies.

Basically KOTOR set in Asia. I thought it was pretty good.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Tim Burns Effect posted:

drat, did they change something about how they do matchmaking in the patch or is just literally everyone playing Turning Point? There's like nobody playing in any other modes and I wanna play the new map in Fighter Squadron :smith:

(I'm on PC and am in the southeast US if that matters)

I can't imagine the other modes are empty if nothing else just because turning point is only available to pre orders at the moment (right?). Most of the population doesn't even have access to it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

tadashi posted:

You nailed it.

tadashi posted:

You can decide to fly more often than command an ATST and even more so than an ATAT. Players seem to run right past the flight pickups from what Ive noticed.

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 2, 2015

• Locked thread