Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

It's honestly going to be super weird not to have the 20th Century Fox logo and fanfare at the start of the reel for Ep 7. That's like, just part of it, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Is Han's blindness at the start of ROTJ the result of some dropped plot thread or behind the scenes reasons or something? It seems like an odd thing to throw in for the sake of a gag or two during the fight.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Tender Bender posted:

Is Han's blindness at the start of ROTJ the result of some dropped plot thread or behind the scenes reasons or something? It seems like an odd thing to throw in for the sake of a gag or two during the fight.

First stage of his jedi training.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I genuinely think Lucas enjoys just trolling his fans. I remember watching some documentary for The first prequel film where he was reviewing a scene with Yoda and he kept laughing at how "Sad and dumb the green frog man" was and he kept correcting people saying "lightsabre" saying they're "laser swords"

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

death .cab for qt posted:

rogue one is gonna be sweet btw

If there's no space-volleyball scene it's bullshit

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

ChogsEnhour posted:

I genuinely think Lucas enjoys just trolling his fans. I remember watching some documentary for The first prequel film where he was reviewing a scene with Yoda and he kept laughing at how "Sad and dumb the green frog man" was and he kept correcting people saying "lightsabre" saying they're "laser swords"

It's true.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOjPBBvBe2c&t=78s

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
george lucas doesnt take star wars serious because why would anyone take a silly llighthearted homage movie serious

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

sassassin posted:

First stage of his jedi training.

I don't know if you're joking, but that's actually true. I can't remember where I read it, but I think it was intended to hint that Han might have Force powers as well, and that would have been expanded on in the unmade sequels. Han aims to shoot at the tentacle holding Lando and Lando protests "I thought you were blind!" Originally, Han said "it's all right, trust me," which is a very "Jedi" thing to say. Once that was nixed and it became clear George was never going to make sequels, he went back and edited it to "it's all right, I can see a lot better now."

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Jurgan posted:

I don't know if you're joking, but that's actually true. I can't remember where I read it, but I think it was intended to hint that Han might have Force powers as well, and that would have been expanded on in the unmade sequels. Han aims to shoot at the tentacle holding Lando and Lando protests "I thought you were blind!" Originally, Han said "it's all right, trust me," which is a very "Jedi" thing to say. Once that was nixed and it became clear George was never going to make sequels, he went back and edited it to "it's all right, I can see a lot better now."

Get the gently caress out

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Booblord Zagats posted:

Get the gently caress out

Some googling suggests that may just be a fan theory, not something official. There was speculation that Han was Force sensitive due to his incredible luck, and Lucas probably did make the dialogue change to squash that speculation. But I can't find any evidence that Lucas ever seriously planned it.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Jurgan posted:

Some googling suggests that may just be a fan theory, not something official. There was speculation that Han was Force sensitive due to his incredible luck, and Lucas probably did make the dialogue change to squash that speculation. But I can't find any evidence that Lucas ever seriously planned it.

Alright, now I am filled with less hate for the world. Fan theories are always bullshit lit majors over reading in to poo poo anyhow

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
It still feels weaker. When he said "It's alright, trust me." it felt more like he and Lando knew eachother well, and it makes more sense that Lando tells him to adjust his aim.

Who gives a drat if Han is "force-sensitive"? He uses a blaster, he's just a better shot than a Jango. Jango was a good shot, but the xeroxes of him were p lacking.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Han probably picked up a serious dose of midichlorians from all the space poon he banged.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Tender Bender posted:

Leia (in disguise) tells him he's temporarily blind due to the carbon freezing right after she frees him.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Tender Bender posted:

e: beaten.

Also, he was regaining his sight, so I'd chalk it up to movie protagonist luck more than the Force.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Yeah, if Han could use the force, he'd have a lightsaber. But lightsaber critical mass was reached in AoTC. People stopped using the force because celibate jedi stopped having jedi babies or something.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Of all the bad special effects in the Special Editions, the ones I really like are around the Battle of Yavin. If I could get a version that keeps the great effects they did for the space battle but got rid of everything else I'd be happy.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

phasmid posted:

It still feels weaker. When he said "It's alright, trust me." it felt more like he and Lando knew eachother well, and it makes more sense that Lando tells him to adjust his aim.

Who gives a drat if Han is "force-sensitive"? He uses a blaster, he's just a better shot than a Jango. Jango was a good shot, but the xeroxes of him were p lacking.

He's a loveable scoundrel and has a bit of the scummy car dealer vibe to him. He's always telling people to relax and let him do his thing. It's part of why Jabba has a bounty on him

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I was thinking it might've been a reason to have Han on the ground instead of flying the Falcon, like his vision still isn't great or something, that Lucas abandoned halfway through.

Jurgan posted:

I want to believe the Jedi thing but it detracts from the :psyduck: of switching the fun line to the pure exposition line.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I want an amazon print to order service where I can pick and choose my special edition add-ons from a drop down list. "Edit Your Own Star Wars! Blu-Ray Special/Despecialized Edition for neckbearded Internet Whiners"

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Only thing I liked about AOTC was that the droids all looked really cool. I liked the ones with the big hoop wheels and the tall ball-shaped ones that walked on 4 stilt-legs. Those robots were neat.

Honestly, if starwars removed all of the jedi except maybe 1 or 2, and focused more on the war with the clones and the robots, it would make a good sci-fi war film. The stories were always too much stars, not enough wars.

That's probably why Republic Commando was so loving good, because it only included the cool stuff from the prequels. Game was loving rad, had likable characters, and made the wars look cool. loving super battle droids show up and murder the whole squad, surprising the hell out of me because I thought they would be no-neck chumps like in the movies. Droids were no joke in that game.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The Skeleton King posted:

Only thing I liked about AOTC was that the droids all looked really cool. I liked the ones with the big hoop wheels and the tall ball-shaped ones that walked on 4 stilt-legs. Those robots were neat.

Honestly, if starwars removed all of the jedi except maybe 1 or 2, and focused more on the war with the clones and the robots, it would make a good sci-fi war film. The stories were always too much stars, not enough wars.

That's probably why Republic Commando was so loving good, because it only included the cool stuff from the prequels. Game was loving rad, had likable characters, and made the wars look cool. loving super battle droids show up and murder the whole squad, surprising the hell out of me because I thought they would be no-neck chumps like in the movies. Droids were no joke in that game.
You just described what makes the Clone Wars cartoon good. More focus on the clones and droids, rarely more than 2 Jedi at a time, actual (comparatively) competent writing, bad guys with characterization and plot/character arcs, etc.

And yeah the Republic Commando game owns, I wish they'd done a sequel. Your squad mates had some seriously funny banter.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Xenomrph posted:

You just described what makes the Clone Wars cartoon good. More focus on the clones and droids, rarely more than 2 Jedi at a time, actual (comparatively) competent writing, bad guys with characterization and plot/character arcs, etc.

And yeah the Republic Commando game owns, I wish they'd done a sequel. Your squad mates had some seriously funny banter.

Someone pointed out they're just the Star Wars Ninja Turtles and thats why they're so much fun.

Its a solid formula, really

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The Clone Wars cartoon is the best Star Wars thing since Return of the Jedi and is far better than either CGI series. I think it only clocks in at about two hours, only has a couple of weak episodes, and is all on Youtube at this point.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Booblord Zagats posted:

Someone pointed out they're just the Star Wars Ninja Turtles and thats why they're so much fun.

Its a solid formula, really
Holy gently caress you're right, I can't believe I never made that connection.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I miss the conversation earlier but with all movies turning into franchises the trick is going to be the studios realizing they need to make movies like old serials, instead of doing the whole "everything is connected" avengers thing as time goes on. That is why I am not too worried about Star Wars Rogue One, because it seems to be taking this idea.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Trillions of people in the republic, no need for stories there to involve the main characters.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

What if we went back to Tattooine and Hoth again, and again, and again forever, because it's easier than inventing new places?

Even though they were abandoned backwaters and ice worlds no one was supposed to give a poo poo about

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Trillions of people in the republic, no need for stories there to involve the main characters.

My favorite thing about the Yuuzhan Vong War is that there were 365 trillion dead.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Dely Apple posted:

What if we went back to Tattooine and Hoth again, and again, and again forever, because it's easier than inventing new places?

Even though they were abandoned backwaters and ice worlds no one was supposed to give a poo poo about
For a backwater planet no one's heard of, everything happens on Tattooine. 5 of the 6 movies visit it, and it's pretty common in the EU.

I rolled my eyes when the Force Awakens trailers showed a desert planet because I assumed it was Tattooine, but apparently it's a totally identical but no really guys completely different desert planet named Jakku. :effort:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Otisburg posted:

this is like the undisputed #1 "you are a huge dork if you have a strong opinion about this, who could possibly care but turbonerds" thing, but I just can't help myself. i am a turbonerd

it's not really a turbonerd thing because it's central to establishing han's character.

Otisburg posted:

I'm pretty sure there are industrious hobbyists who've remastered and cleaned up as pristine as possible theatrical cuts from disparate sources, if you go the :filez: route, but it's absurd that you have to. I think the most prominent guy even calls it the "despecialized edition"

there are and they're really good. there's even a video of how they put it together:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHfLX_TMduY

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 2, 2015

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Xenomrph posted:

For a backwater planet no one's heard of, everything happens on Tattooine. 5 of the 6 movies visit it, and it's pretty common in the EU.

I rolled my eyes when the Force Awakens trailers showed a desert planet because I assumed it was Tattooine, but apparently it's a totally identical but no really guys completely different desert planet named Jakku. :effort:

Imagine if it turns out it's not a desert planet, but a desert on the planet Jakku!

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Imagine if it turns out it's not a desert planet, but a desert on the planet Jakku!

Never happen. Everyone knows that planets can only support one biome.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

RFC2324 posted:

Never happen. Everyone knows that planets can only support one biome.

I checked... you're right. :(

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's not really a turbonerd thing because it's central to establishing han's character.

there are and they're really good. there's even a video of how they put it together:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHfLX_TMduY

This is really cool

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I like seeing all these youtubes with a lightsaber turning on and humming whenever I touch the volume controls. :3:

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

The Galaxy of Heroes game app did a goddamn push notification of a lightsaber igniting and it was like "who is in my bathroom with that toy?"

:argh:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SaltLick posted:

This is really cool

It really is.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I checked... you're right. :(

Corellia and Dantooine I think are the only two exceptions in Star Wars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Booblord Zagats posted:

Corellia and Dantooine I think are the only two exceptions in Star Wars
You mean planets that aren't just one huge biome? I think Ryloth kinda counts but it's defining characteristic is still it's extreme biomes.

• Locked thread