Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poil
Mar 17, 2007

So stop ya bragging, ya trollin'
or the Cossack pain train start rollin'

Anyway, I tried to play as the pink Manchu tribe but everything fell apart from greedy allies grabbing all land and event rebels wiping out my armies over and over. Trying again as Hamburg. Yeren switched their Tengri thing twice in one year, that can't be good for their prestige.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I played Hungary and felt like I just got my feet under me, I was eating up Serbia, Bosnia, Wallachia...

Then the Papal State asked for help against Florence. What I got was a French pain train which ate up all my manpower. No big deal, it's not like I'd lose anything when the war ended...

And then the Ottomans attacked with 80,000 men and Serbia, Bosnia and Wallachia all decided to start their own wars of reconquest at the same time. Jesus.

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
There is a possible trade node called Overthere. :3:

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009
I'm confused by the Custom Nation Designer. I started looking at Ideas Guy, and it says you use the full 800 points... but I only see 200 points to use for creating your nation. I'm missing something obvious, aren't I?

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

yes, go to options and set custom nations to "very easy"

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

So I was just messing around with a multiplayer game with my brother and we encountered something very very odd when playing with random countries and using custom nations, he was playing as quasi-Portugal and spawned with 7 heavies, given a pretty balanised Europe I wondered aloud if he had the biggest navy.

So the ledger was checked, and some nation in Saudi Arabia we could only see one province of showed up at having twenty. They must be huge we thought!

Actually not the case, instead they are the Arabic Polar Bears:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
In my Himalaya game, Ming collapsed of its own accord before 1500.

Well, guess that's pretty much that for humanity.

Jexner
Feb 11, 2010
3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Anyone know where the new dlc is cheapest? My usual place nuuvem is giving out region locked keys now for paradox games.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
New patch rules, only complaint so far is you can't threaten for your vassals' claims.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Edit: doublepost because the db server is choking today apparently.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Lori posted:

This is really dumb:

Actually this kind of owns, I really dig the design. Especially the mountain passes, and the strait through the middle as the only way through. It's not realistic, but for a fantasy new world it could give some pretty interesting results.

I started a game as England to just explore the RNW and chill. Most of the western hemisphere is just various medium-sized islands scattered around, so I thought to myself "hey cool I can just build a path to Asia through the ocean". Nope, the westernmost tile is this monstrosity. And the Burning Empire spawned on it. :allears: This should be interesting.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
I think paradox broke something: when selecting a sieging army/province, pressing d won't detach, you have to first click the Select Army button, then d. This wasn't working like this pre-patch, IIRC?

Good expansion, though.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Guys, we have missed the best point about the Cossacks expansion, The new launcher allows borderless window mode now!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Borderless window mode has been available for years.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
How do you mark a neighboring province as a province of interest for yourself? I recall that being part of the dev diaries but I don't see any kind of interface to do so.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Palleon posted:

How do you mark a neighboring province as a province of interest for yourself? I recall that being part of the dev diaries but I don't see any kind of interface to do so.

Go to the diplo screen for yourself and select the... the tab where you manage attitude. On the right. Then you can just select them on the map.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I really wish a dev would take some time to sit down and actually make the default message settings not absolute crap. It should not be a complete surprise to me to look down and notice that I've somehow gained a half a dozen provinces because of the Ming exploding.

Playing a game as the Manchu, it's real fun I like most of the new features a lot...Horde Unity seems ridiculously hard to manage once you get to a decent size. It goes down ridiculously fast, and if it drops down low enough it's a very hard death spiral to escape because the only way to escape is to either get lucky with events or conquer territory to raze...except you have no manpower due to constantly fighting rebels and ugh.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
this game will destroy your life. morocco has reconquered granada. allahu akbar.

Songhai is my vassal, and currently in the process of being annexed. Aragon was my former ally, and helped me break up Castille (who were Balkanized early by France but recovered). Castille is allied to Portugal is allied to Aragon, so my plan was to attack Castille ASAP so I'd only have to fight 2/3 of Iberia. Unfortunately my king died and left a 4 year old heir. Touggourt and the Ottoman Empire are my long term allies, although I've never actually fought a war with Ottoman.

In brighter news, I'm the first to colonize the Random New World, and I found a tribe with a gold mind so I'm attacking them as soon as my king comes of age.

So far I've completed games as Russia and Brunei -> Malacca but playing a medium sized country in peril like Morocco is a lot more fun. It's not quite Mzab but I'm getting there.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Poland has a 25% chance not to pick the union with Lithuania? gently caress me that's dumb.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
So my initial thoughts for the Random New World fantasy stuff is that it feels, I dunno, tame. As much as I'd love to see Secret Denmark (Or Lost Serbia/Bosnia), they just aren't popping up for me even though I've made and remade new world after new world. And then you get into stuff that also firmly fits into crazy fantasy new world stuff (Knights Templar fleeing to America, Gaelic people floating on coracles to America, and rumors of a Mali jump across the pond, to say a few) and it's surprisingly not that fleshed out? I've seen the crucifix island, which infers that if the Knights Templar did exist, they'd be based on that island.

I think it'd be neat to also for kicks do a lost tribe of Israel out there, or Prester John as a possible fantasy new world.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

PittTheElder posted:

Poland has a 25% chance not to pick the union with Lithuania? gently caress me that's dumb.

Seems excessive. Isn't the chance for Castille not to opt for their union something like 10%?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah it's 10% for Castile. Which honestly should be higher for them too.

Also, I just played 5 openings, and Poland has picked to skip the union each time. I wonder if the restart on "exit to menu" preserves some sort of local seed.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is there a Zoroastrian fantasy country in the random new world?

I've gotten a Jewish one. It ended up nearby Vinland. I'm sure the future Judaic-Norse Wars will be both glorious and tragic.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Another nice change I just noticed: minor claims never expire if you own the province, so you don't have to worry about losing the claim right before you start coring it.

Also the dhimmi faction is kind of ridiculous.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 2, 2015

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Sperglord Firecock posted:

So my initial thoughts for the Random New World fantasy stuff is that it feels, I dunno, tame. As much as I'd love to see Secret Denmark (Or Lost Serbia/Bosnia), they just aren't popping up for me even though I've made and remade new world after new world. And then you get into stuff that also firmly fits into crazy fantasy new world stuff (Knights Templar fleeing to America, Gaelic people floating on coracles to America, and rumors of a Mali jump across the pond, to say a few) and it's surprisingly not that fleshed out? I've seen the crucifix island, which infers that if the Knights Templar did exist, they'd be based on that island.

I think it'd be neat to also for kicks do a lost tribe of Israel out there, or Prester John as a possible fantasy new world.

There's a setting in options where you can change how often those fantasy elements occur.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Played a few hour multiplayer game with a friend and we're having a lot of trouble with the expansion. First of, rebels everywhere, tens of thousands all over the place with provinces reaching up to 30~ unrest at tapped out autonomy. Stacks of 25k popping up in Manchu in 1470. And not just seperatists but pretenders and all the other kinds. Then there's the estates, I kept looking for information on the tooltips but my clergy and nobility estates kept losing loyalty despite being over their demanded province count by 5% and me feeding them prestige every time the cooldown is up and yet I can't stem the nobility faction at all. It got so bad that they were in the red at 27% with a 20 year cooldown on my only way to increase their loyalty so I figured I'd eat the negative modifiers and remove their holdings but nope, rebels all the way down. If I take all of their provinces it'd pop about 100k rebels, my army is at 30 and my manpower maxes at 35ish. If I don't remove their holdings, their +10 unrest modifier will eventually cause half of my homelands to rebel off regardless. How do you deal with that? Granted I'm not the most veteran player but it feels to me the expansion made playing an expansionist, militarist country even harder. I can deal with unrest, rebels, AE and all the management that comes with it but this game both of us just exploded and not because of the usual event chains or causes.

az fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 2, 2015

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
Mantuan separatists are sieging Gascogne, and were in the process of teleporting to Cornwall before I took them out. I know they showed up because Mantua had troops in my land when Venice annexed them, but it's still pretty funny. I wasn't even involved in that war, don't blame me!

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Otoh I like the new expansion and the Estates are easy to manage. I have 2 of them over 70 loyalty permanently and the other 60 if I use some Ducats

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
I just got this game. Watched a few intro videos and a bit of a Let's Play as Ottomans. Started up my first game. Sacked Constantinople (always wanted to say that). Feeling pretty good. Then I accepted a mission to take Caffa. Sounds easy enough. Well, I didn't check to see who Genoa's allies were and Austria was definitely one of them because next thing I know my territory was painted with swathes of Austrian troops and boats. :v:

Maybe I'll give another country a go for round two.

EDIT: I bought all the optional items so my first real mission is to find whatever sound pack contains that awful metal music and turn it right the gently caress off.

kung fu jive fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Dec 2, 2015

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

PittTheElder posted:

They changed that last patch, there's a switch in options to turn it off.

Sorry but can you be more specific? I looked in the options today when I got a chance to play for a bit and only thing I saw was an option to have big events pause. Didn't see anything about dismissing messages not automatically unpausing, which is a really dumb thing to have on by default since it very often ruins the entire point of pausing in the first place.

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan

amazeballs posted:

I just got this game. Watched a few intro videos and a bit of a Let's Play as Ottomans. Started up my first game. Sacked Constantinople (always wanted to say that). Feeling pretty good. Then I accepted a mission to take Caffa. Sounds easy enough. Well, I didn't check to see who Genoa's allies were and Austria was definitely one of them because next thing I know my territory was painted with swathes of Austrian troops and boats. :v:

Maybe I'll give another country a go for round two.

EDIT: I bought all the optional items so my first real mission is to find whatever sound pack contains that awful metal music and turn it right the gently caress off.

Yeah Genoa tends to ally with Austria a lot, and Genoa is also part of the holy roman empire until 1490, so whoever is emperor (probably Austria) will most likely defend them. That's a good quick way to learn about checking your enemies alliances :)

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

amazeballs posted:

Probably guns, drums and steel or the sabaton pack.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

VDay posted:

Sorry but can you be more specific? I looked in the options today when I got a chance to play for a bit and only thing I saw was an option to have big events pause. Didn't see anything about dismissing messages not automatically unpausing, which is a really dumb thing to have on by default since it very often ruins the entire point of pausing in the first place.

It's the same Pause on Events option. If you turn that off it'll stop unpausing when you close events as well.

Dibujante posted:

Probably guns, drums and steel or the sabaton pack.

Note that there's two Guns, Drums and Steel packs, you'll want to disable both, plus the Sabaton pack.

The Sabaton pack is nice, but god drat is it ever jarring to switch between it and the normal music selection.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

PittTheElder posted:

It's the same Pause on Events option. If you turn that off it'll stop unpausing when you close events as well.

Hmm weird, could've sworn I tried that and it was still unpausing. Will try again, thanks.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Had a really good game going as a custom nation in Central America until my monarch died. I was wondering why I had a regency council until I found out my heir mysteriously never aged past 0, and I'm apparently going to have this regency for the next 22 years for some reason. Heir's still not aging, so I uh, guess I'm done here.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Well, the new additions don't seem to complicated after a quick test opening as Muscovy. Most notably, the AI hordes are wracked with rebels pretty much all the time, which means it's Mongolia time for me.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

PittTheElder posted:

The Sabaton pack is nice, but god drat is it ever jarring to switch between it and the normal music selection.

This is basically my problem with it.

Tried a game as Castille. Civil war happened and everything went to poo poo.

I get the feeling that getting my rear end kicked is just going to be a way of life until I understand this game better. Still, the trial by fire method of learning is pretty humorous.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

We needed a Jewish Nephi New World nation.

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

The new diplomacy system is really good, but here's what I really want: the ability to spend favors to get one of my allies to break their alliance with someone else.

Favors are such a pathetic currency. You can personally deliver your ally the entire eastern hemisphere in a single war and they'll gleefully abandon you at their first CtA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Well, that's awkward. Started with five coastal English provinces as the Norse kingdom of the Danelaw, eventually took over the British Isles, and got to work exploring. Imagine my surprise when the first random new world nation I found was Vinland, the High American-tech Norse republic.

That's one way to jumpstart a colonial nation I guess!

• Locked thread