Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
I just received my 3rd gen Moto G (XT1550) I bought on black Friday to use as my work/backup phone. drat nice little brother to my N6, really impressed with what I got for $195.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Thanks for the info re: Cricket and Messenger oddness. I can use Textra, Go SMS Pro and I'm sure any other app for MMS and SMS fine, just bizarre that Cricket network shenanigans work like that! Besides that small issue, I've literally never had any network "problems"

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

iajanus posted:

OK can I get some recommendations or advice or whatnot, since I am incapable of making decisions on my own?

I've got an Xperia z1 at the moment, chosen primarily because I love a great battery life, camera and am uncoordinated so being waterproof was a great thing. All have turned out to be awesome, and I've been super happy with my choice.

Now my contract is almost up, I'm weighing up my choices. The z5 is an obvious choice. The z5P is too, mostly because I play a lot of ps4 and the remote play would be great (I love my wiiu and my wife watches a lot of reality TV). The 6p looks good, as does the edge+.

Help!

I have a chrome Z5P and a Nexus 6P. Mostly I think the 6P is technically better, but I think the Z5P's design is just so :krad: looking I can't not love it. And it's not like the Sony is a bad device. Battery life on the Z5P is about what I've gotten with the 6P (which is good considering it doesn't have Doze yet), and the camera seems good but I haven't done a lot of testing with it. It is a bit slower to load the photo you just took than the Nexus at the moment, but I wouldn't be surprised if an update comes down that fixes that.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

ijyt posted:

Probably should have checked before ordering it but is the Z5 Compact still the phone to go for when you want the smallest phone with a good camera, battery life, and bells and whistles?

Review of the Z5 Compact: "You want a small phone with powerful hardware? This is it." Literally.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

LastInLine posted:

It can. I think T-Mobile had the OTA available for a while and then not? I'll admit to not following N6 releases too well.

The thing is that on Lollipop, T-Mo had its own build (to account for wifi calling) so finding the right OTA now might be a bitch. Assuming your bootloader is unlocked you might want to use fastboot and factory images to flash your way up to current (shouldn't be a need to wipe if you flash each component separately). If your bootloader is still locked, you could look for the OTA chain to get you where you need to be using the stock recovery.

Only the first update for the N6 had a separate T-Mobile version, all updates after that have been the same as the other carriers. Wifi calling was merged ages ago at this point.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Has anyone tried Onavo Extend? How well does it work at saving cellular data via its VPN? Should I be worried about Facebook (Onavo's parent) mining the data that I pass through the VPN?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Radbot posted:

Should I be worried about Facebook (Onavo's parent) mining the data that I pass through the VPN?

"Onavo Insights provides data to companies about app usage and consumer trends in online gaming, social networking, finance, and entertainment."

There's no doubt that they do mine your traffic, whether you care is up to you.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Because I'm a masochist and am still following Blackberry Priv news, their first update is now live:

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2015/12/the-privs-first-software-update-is-live-heres-how-to-download-it/ posted:

An improved camera: We’ve implemented a number of tweaks that improve the speed of our camera app, and re-tuned it for better low-light image quality.

Better performance: We’ve also tweaked the PRIV’s software to improve overall system performance

Improved stability: The update further includes a number of adjustments designed to improve device reliability and reduce instances of crashing and freezing.

Enhanced security: Lastly, the release includes December’s security patches – rest easy knowing your device is protected against the latest Android security threats.

Be sure to also keep an eye out for coming updates to BlackBerry’s Android apps: Blackberry Keyboard, Blackberry Hub, Blackberry Camera, and DTEK by BlackBerry. The latest version of each will be available through the Google Play Store on December 14. The improvements include:

Camera: Now supports 16:9 photos

Keyboard: Increased language support and emojis added to predictive typing

Hub & Contacts: Now includes WhatsApp

DTEK by BlackBerry: More notification options to alert you when apps use your info

:unsmith:

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111787929784

I can confirm this (very cheap) USB A->C cable passes the CheckR test and works great with my 6P.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Textra is the poo poo

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Cable posted:

I'd say yes. It's only potential issues could be the SD 810 getting too warm (as every 810 device) and I've been hearing that the camera app is not the fastest out there. Once you get it, could you please post a 3 or 4-line review? It'd be helpful!

Will do my best but it's a Christmas present for a family member!

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

TenaciousTomato posted:

Textra is the poo poo

Truly, I moved over from hangouts yesterday and I'm not going back.

Also, I've noticed that my phone slows to a crawl whenever I have Google play music open. I've tried clearing the app data several times to no avail. The past few days I've only been using poweramp and my phone has been 1000x more usable. Anyone else have a similar experience with Google play music? It seems to me that since they started pushing their radio thing the app is just too bloated for its own good.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

TollTheHounds posted:

Because I'm a masochist and am still following Blackberry Priv news, their first update is now live:

The priv is a good phone, and I hope it does real well for BlackBerry because someone needs to prod LG and Samsung in the rear end a bit.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

TollTheHounds posted:

That phone apparently runs like a turd and is way too expensive for what is essentially a gimmicky G4, but at least the keyboard functionality actually seems real slick for you disgusting masochists who are into that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

U.S. soak test for Moto X Pure edition's marshmallow update is starting.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+DavidSchuster/posts/M2KxPtiQbxV

If all goes well, should roll out to everyone by next week.

I've been on it for over a month without issue.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

The priv is a good phone, and I hope it does real well for BlackBerry because someone needs to prod LG and Samsung in the rear end a bit.

I've used one and it's garbage, sorry.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

bull3964 posted:

U.S. soak test for Moto X Pure edition's marshmallow update is starting.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+DavidSchuster/posts/M2KxPtiQbxV

If all goes well, should roll out to everyone by next week.

I've been on it for over a month without issue.
Cool, I have been patiently waiting for this. How'd you get on a month early?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Motorola apparently has an early preview program outside of the soak test program and I was selected. Didn't say much about it because that was part of the agreement, but with them going public about the soak test now, I'm assuming I'm in the clear.

Version that's rolling out to the soak testers appears to be the same one that I've been running.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
After complaining about phones not coming with headphones and getting laughed out of the thread that this hasn't been a thing in years, my 5x actually came with a pair of headphones.

A bit bummed about the fact that there is no adapter/cable for connecting to USB-A. I'm all about moving technology forward, but it would help if they supplied some tools to help with the transition.

The last 6 years: "The best thing about Android is the Plug and PLay funtionality! Want some songs on your phone? Just drag and drop that poo poo. Done! No need for lovely iTunes."

2015: "I've got no way to connect to any PC that wasn't built in the last 6 months"

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

xcore posted:

After complaining about phones not coming with headphones and getting laughed out of the thread that this hasn't been a thing in years, my 5x actually came with a pair of headphones.

A bit bummed about the fact that there is no adapter/cable for connecting to USB-A. I'm all about moving technology forward, but it would help if they supplied some tools to help with the transition.

The last 6 years: "The best thing about Android is the Plug and PLay funtionality! Want some songs on your phone? Just drag and drop that poo poo. Done! No need for lovely iTunes."

2015: "I've got no way to connect to any PC that wasn't built in the last 6 months"
In 2015 we transfer things via ~ the cloud ~

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Even though I love my Moto X Pure and still intend it to be my primary phone, my desire for toys prompted me to snag a 5x for $80 off yesterday.

I have been using a 2013 Moto X as a backup phone and for work email, but I decided "what the hell?" and grabbed the 5x so both of my phones are carrier agnostic. It will be interesting to compare the two side by side since their internals are so similar.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

xcore posted:

Actually for at least 4+ years it's been: "Want some media on your phone? Just drag and drop it in AirDroid, gently caress wires."
Which actually still works just fine. That and yeah most of it is just download it via Google Drive or Music or Photos or whatever depending on what you synced it to, because you want a remote backup anyways.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

xcore posted:

Did you buy it from Google? 99% sure mine didn't come with headphones. :(

that I will just throw in a drawer and never use because Bluetooth is a thing

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

DemonMage posted:

Actually for at least 4+ years it's been: "Want some media on your phone? Just drag and drop it in AirDroid, gently caress wires."
Which actually still works just fine. That and yeah most of it is just download it via Google Drive or Music or Photos or whatever depending on what you synced it to, because you want a remote backup anyways.

Cool, I'll check out Airdroid.

Drive/cloud/streaming/sync stuff might work fine for you people in the US with unlimited data plans but here in Australia with our data caps and lovely speeds all that stuff can gently caress off. That's why I need the cables so I can back all that stuff up locally/at work with high speed internet.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
drive for data, play music for music, photos for photos.
Cloud
Cloud
Cloud

If you use hangouts for messaging does it cloud save texts or no? And does that work for group messaging now?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Time for some :regd08:

I really love the 5X , except the part where it grinds to a loving halt when you open the camera to take a picture. A five-second photo on any other phone becomes a 10-second wait for the shutter button to become active, then another 15 seconds of the device stuttering as it flips a coin to decide whether or not to actually save the picture. I've had instances of pictures disappearing even though I'd pressed the shutter button heard the shutter click sound.

I've also had the device stutter for over two minutes after plugging it into my laptop and unlocking the screen a couple of times within a minute or so. And by "stutter" I mean hardly anything is responsive, app shortcuts, the system buttons, the shade animates down at probably sub-10FPS. Restarting the phone makes all of these performance issues go away, but it's looking like I'll have to get used to restarting the phone every 48-72 hours to keep it performant.

Does it really make that much of a difference that the device only has 2GB of RAM instead of 3GB? I really hope these issues can be patched, and that current performance is just going to get worse as Android grows :sigh:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Karthe posted:

Time for some :regd08:

I really love the 5X , except the part where it grinds to a loving halt when you open the camera to take a picture. A five-second photo on any other phone becomes a 10-second wait for the shutter button to become active, then another 15 seconds of the device stuttering as it flips a coin to decide whether or not to actually save the picture. I've had instances of pictures disappearing even though I'd pressed the shutter button heard the shutter click sound.

I've also had the device stutter for over two minutes after plugging it into my laptop and unlocking the screen a couple of times within a minute or so. And by "stutter" I mean hardly anything is responsive, app shortcuts, the system buttons, the shade animates down at probably sub-10FPS. Restarting the phone makes all of these performance issues go away, but it's looking like I'll have to get used to restarting the phone every 48-72 hours to keep it performant.

Does it really make that much of a difference that the device only has 2GB of RAM instead of 3GB? I really hope these issues can be patched, and that current performance is just going to get worse as Android grows :sigh:

It has nothing to do with the 2 vs 3 gigs of RAM in your phone. The issues you're describing have been issues with Android since it's inception. Android has never been known for its performance, no matter what Google tries.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Though none of that is present on the Nexus 6.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My Nexus 5x will poo poo all over itself sometimes. Chrome is just a disaster, I try to avoid it. Sometimes it doesn't take a picture when I click the button. I don't know if its ram or what, it averages 1.5 gb being used.

I wouldn't say its much of an upgrade over my 2013 Moto X in terms of performance, but the camera is so good.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Moto X has none of these issues and is using virtually the same hardware (has a gb more ram but also more pixels to drive.)

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Some guy on Reddit claims that he is able to make Play Store payments partially with Play credit and the rest with credit card / bank. Could be bullshit, could be Google is finally rolling out what we should have had all along.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Problem with these posts is that it is the equivalent of "My Dell laptop loving sucks, sometimes with Windows 10 it'll take like 30 seconds just to open Chrome". And rightfully you'd say, well, what else are you doing on your computer?

Reddit is terrible about that poo poo. I have 16 different bubble-pop chat-systems, password managers as screen overlays, and streaming video overlay running but this phone is a piece of poo poo because I can't switch from my favorite game to WhatsApp fast enough. Or it has to redraw my 3rd party launcher with custom icons for every app on occasion.

And Android could fix it, simply by disabling those APIs or capabilities on phones that don't have enough resources. Or limiting how many of what you can have on your phone, but that isn't the Android way!

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

xcore posted:

Don't worry, rumor has it that the headphone jack is going away entirely in the iPhone 7 which means every other company will copy it. Enjoy it while it lasts!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I picked up a $10 Moto E as a back up phone. Holy poo poo. If you never used the camera and wanted a small phone, this would be like 90-95% of everything you'd need. I'm still installing and updating apps, and it is actually usable while that's going on :aaaaa: We'll see about doing anything like music + multitasking other apps, but so far, I'm really impressed. (Also shocked at how much less accurate I am typing on this 4.5" screen keyboard after years of 5"+, haha)

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

Hi,

I have a LG Optimus L90 D415 and two weeks ago I updated to Lollipop 5.0 because I had a push notification to do so. After I updated, I noticed my music on spotify, podcasts and youtube videos would randomly pauses during playback. Often this happens every 2-3 minutes or so. I've checked if it was my headphones (it happens when they're plugged or unplugged) and it happens both on my home wifi and my 4G internet.

Is this a common problem? Is there anything I can do? Please let me know if there is anymore information I can provide.

Thanks!

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord

xcore posted:

Cool, I'll check out Airdroid.

Drive/cloud/streaming/sync stuff might work fine for you people in the US with unlimited data plans but here in Australia with our data caps and lovely speeds all that stuff can gently caress off. That's why I need the cables so I can back all that stuff up locally/at work with high speed internet.

To be fair our 4g in most areas is actually really, really fast. Much faster than the adsl2+ both at my house in Sydney and my parents' place in a rural town. Our data caps have changed a lot in the last 12 months, you might want to check them out. I can stream music whenever I'm out of the house with GPM without worrying about hitting the cap. Plus you can precache the music you'll listen to most frequently over WiFi, and stream something if you feel like something different.

Just set your photos/files to sync and apps to update over WiFi only and the current data caps aren't too restrictive.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Syrinxx posted:

Don't worry, rumor has it that the headphone jack is going away entirely in the iPhone 7 which means every other company will copy it. Enjoy it while it lasts!

BT headphones and overall systems management on phones are good enough that there's basically no functional difference from wired headphones unless you're a soundsperg with $500 headphones connected to your phone with a preamp and a plug adapter.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

or you don't wanna charge your goddamn headphones all the time

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LionYeti posted:

or you don't wanna charge your goddamn headphones all the time

The last two pairs of bluetooth headphones I've owned have been able to last a good 2 solid work-days between charges and simply plugging them in during my 20-minute drive to work daily was sufficient. I guess for people who are on the road a lot it's unrealistic, but the snowflake scenario of being on the road a lot has been used to try excusing some pretty unreasonable poo poo so forgive my skepticism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

I just plug my headphones in and listen to music.