Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

LibbyM posted:

I know that HK-47 was really popular way back in the day, but they are leaning really heavy on their knockoff version of him.

I haven't played KotFE yet, but I was kind of surprised to learn that the companions you get during that aren't already permanent.

He "dies" in KotFE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Medullah posted:

These are not "Big rewards".

Are you that surprised?

Not amazing but I wasn't expecting it to be. I'll take it though!

- 2 day early access to each new chapter
- HK-55 as a companion
- Play as HK-55
- New crafting stuff (not only for subscribers)
- Recruit Bowdarr (not only for subscribers)

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
I didn't expect anything and somehow I'm still disappointed.

Takane
Aug 24, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

Guess I worded it funny but that's what I said. The only reason to go Lightning is for burst and if you're wanting burst AP PT would be superior.

We roll with a MM on our Ranked team but I prefer AP PT or Madness Sorc if I'm not running with dependable heals.

your ranked team should always have dependable heals!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Dely Apple posted:

So... pay $100 for one chapter

:|

seems fair enough to me.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Haha "all the rewards will be hk-55 themed". I liked the character but come on.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

But he died, he diiiieeeeddd

How can you already ruin the one little story you just made

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Dexo posted:

He "dies" in KotFE

All of them do? Because there's other companions too aren't there.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

So I can just let my sub lapse and then buy a month of time when KOTFE is finished and not miss anything important, right

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
So that's the reward. We get HK-55 back.

Yawn.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So I can just let my sub lapse and then buy a month of time when KOTFE is finished and not miss anything important, right

Yep!

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Correct. You get all current chapters unlocked at whatever time you subscribe.

Alter Ego posted:

So that's the reward. We get HK-55 back.

Yawn.

That's what happens when you overhype something. If it had been framed as just "new subscriber rewards plan" instead of "OMG this is HUGE!" it'd be less of a letdown. Still, if you're already a subscriber anyway, who cares really what the "free" stuff is? If this was what was making you decide to keep subscribed or not, then... yeah.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

that's a pretty loving lame reason to keep subscribing.

2 days is not special.

one more companion when you already have loving 20 companions and can only use 6 on away missions is sincerely "who gives a poo poo I already have one HK robot and I want him to shut the gently caress up too" territory.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Yeah well it's supposed to be a perk, if it's the reason you would be subscribing then of course you wouldn't.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Hulk Smash! posted:

Correct. You get all current chapters unlocked at whatever time you subscribe.

That's what happens when you overhype something. If it had been framed as just "new subscriber rewards plan" instead of "OMG this is HUGE!" it'd be less of a letdown. Still, if you're already a subscriber anyway, who cares really what the "free" stuff is? If this was what was making you decide to keep subscribed or not, then... yeah.

Yep, exactly. I'm subbed through February thanks to game card sales and the KOTFE bundle, but there's nothing that jumps out as "OH poo poo CAN'T CANCEL THEN!" if I'm bored again (Which I'll likely be).

HK is cool, don't get me wrong, but he was cool in the story - functionally, he's not any different than HK-51 is.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

They also blatantly spoiled the next two companions Kaliyo and Bowdaar you recruit.

The Arena thing has potential to be interesting.

KicksYouInHalf
Aug 6, 2007

National tragedy.
Is alacrity useful for madness at all or should I focus more on crit?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Non-Entity I'm bummed, I was hoping they would be announcing a giveaway of some magnificent new mount you created. :(

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Medullah posted:

Non-Entity I'm bummed, I was hoping they would be announcing a giveaway of some magnificent new mount you created. :(

I want a Sarlaac pit mount.

I don't care how impractical that is :colbert:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Hulk Smash! posted:

I want a Sarlaac pit mount.

I don't care how impractical that is :colbert:

You get eaten when you mount up, leave a dust trail behind you as you move, and get spit out of the ground at your destination.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Kurieg posted:

You get eaten when you mount up, leave a dust trail behind you as you move, and get spit out of the ground at your destination.

Sold. But only if it never spits you out if you're wearing a full set of Mandalorian armor.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Official forums do not disappoint

Anger fueled person posted:

m deathly afraid of my own guild going rip in pepperonis cause of the dev team's incompetence, and my faith in you guys is seriously lacking. It's kinda annoying how you guys are literally backstabbing the players that have played since beta, tested everything publically testable, devoted hundreds upon thousands upon tens of thousands of hours to your game, and literally worked on everything from fan sites, to guides, to podcasts, to general server events, and in order to whore yourselves out to new players, you're gunning for a quick buck with story and hoping that people will stick around, as if people actually played say, KOTOR, for months at a time.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Medullah posted:

I know plenty of people who played KOTOR for months at a time, just saying.

Gotta grind, gotta see all the poo poo possible!

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
On the one hand, the forums are a hilarious mess. On the other, what did EA/Bioware expect to happen by hyping up this livestream so much? How exactly did anything they announce even come close to 'breaking all precedents'? Maybe it's just from coming from FFXIV being my main MMO and its dev team being very down to earth and honest about what's being added to the game, but you'd think their PR people would have told them to tone it down to avoid a shitstorm just like this.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

STO does it right, and by that I mean that they just tell the people some new poo poo to buy is here, and they buy it.

RIP Butts :911:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Medullah posted:

They also blatantly spoiled the next two companions Kaliyo and Bowdaar you recruit.

The first one you name is shown on the "next issue preview" graphics; they've been there for weeks, at least. I would have bet a couple of dollars that Guss Tuno would be the next name on the shortlist.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Medullah posted:

The Arena thing has potential to be interesting.

prefect posted:

The first one you name is shown on the "next issue preview" graphics; they've been there for weeks, at least. I would have bet a couple of dollars that Guss Tuno would be the next name on the shortlist.

That, and they came outright and said they were going to have spoilers about the next chapter. Can't really get upset when there was a warning attached.

EDIT: \/\/\/ My mistake, I didn't realize your post was intended as a warning.

Jedi fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 2, 2015

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Jedi posted:

That, and they came outright and said they were going to have spoilers about the next chapter. Can't really get upset when there was a warning attached.

Yeah, I still spoilered it for those who didn't watch though

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Eltoasto posted:

Yeah well it's supposed to be a perk, if it's the reason you would be subscribing then of course you wouldn't.

Well no, it's supposed to be a reason to keep subscribing instead of just letting your sub expire then resubscribing for the next chapter. Which seems like if you just wanna run one character through this expansion, you can save $30 after every chapter by you know, not giving a poo poo about yet another companion and 2 extra days.

So they need to provide you a $30 value, rather than something worthless and 50 cents worth of bonus game time that you're just paying for anyway.

This is not that value, there are other games to play, etc. Right now, there's no compelling reason to keep putting money into the game between expansions IMO and probably once I get one of each class (or before, really) I'll get bored and start up a Football Manager 2016 save that lasts me until July, when I can pay $15, get all the rest of the chapters of the expansion and not have paid $60-90 in the meantime.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Of course they're bringing back Bowdaar. it's not like they have to record new lines for him.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

I can understand disappointment with the announcement after the hype train that led up to it, and I don't think the rewards are enough for anyone to keep their sub if they are on the fence about it. I'm not sure how much more could realistically be expected of a third-tier F2P MMO from EA, but maybe the free expansion for subs over the summer gave people too much to hope for.

The lesson is, as always, to keep your expectations as low as possible so you can't be disappointed.

RIP.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Medullah posted:

You guys are whinier than that.

...Okay maybe not quite.

Edit: nm caught up on Telex's posts, I was right the first time.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 2, 2015

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I think the important thing here is that this announcement is huge enough that it will bring our guild leader back from FF14 because while they may have cat people, they certainly don't have minor variations of a character had been around for 15 years as companions, right Oedzi?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Medullah posted:

I think the important thing here is that this announcement is huge enough that it will bring our guild leader back from FF14 because while they may have cat people, they certainly don't have minor variations of a character had been around for 15 years as companions, right Oedzi?

DO YOU GUYS REMEMBER THAT TIME HK-47 SAID THE PHRASE MEATBAG?

HEEEE-LARIOUS

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Man

I like hk55 and wished for his return but this is making me second guess my opinion on that

I mean, I'm still gonna play swtor but please bioware look up the word "over promising" on google this is embarrassing

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Ainsley McTree posted:

Man

I like hk55 and wished for his return but this is making me second guess my opinion on that

I mean, I'm still gonna play swtor but please bioware look up the word "over promising" on google this is embarrassing

Of all the HKs I liked 55 because he was actually sort of nice, self sacrificing, and the whole "meatbag" thing seemed almost self referential to the fact that he was the least HK-like HK, but he was still an HK. But the fact that they killed him and are now treating his return as a giant event and the best thing ever it seems like Bioware forgot their own joke.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I did like how HK-55 put some emotion into his definitions before speaking, like it was an upgrade.

I think i'll put this down until like april though because I was subscribed for all the rewards before KOTFE's release and it was kinda underwhelming for about 45 dollars worth of subscribing while waiting.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Yeah OK the hype was a bit much, but I think people are too quickly glossing over the fact that subscribers are getting exclusive story content as a perk. That actually is kind of a big deal, you know. They've never done anything like that before.

I am glad to see HK-55 returning. He was a good character. That wasn't the "big announcement," though.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Yeah OK the hype was a bit much, but I think people are too quickly glossing over the fact that subscribers are getting exclusive story content as a perk. That actually is kind of a big deal, you know. They've never done anything like that before.

I am glad to see HK-55 returning. He was a good character. That wasn't the "big announcement," though.

Doubt the exclusive story content will stay that way. It will cause too much wailing and gnashing of teeth with the 'community' on the official forums, I am sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

gently caress the poors who can't pay

• Locked thread