Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Both Bose and noise cancelling are overrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Bose's QC-25s are actually pretty amazing if you work in a open plan office or regularly commute via bus / train. I don't know how well they'd handle heavy construction noise, though. I imagine that they'd do an OK job of reducing the noise but not entirely mute it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Oneiros posted:

Bose's QC-25s are actually pretty amazing if you work in a open plan office or regularly commute via bus / train. I don't know how well they'd handle heavy construction noise, though. I imagine that they'd do an OK job of reducing the noise but not entirely mute it.
The issue is that noise cancelling generally only works on repetitious sounds, something the hardware can predict and cancel out.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I'm looking for some circumaural headphones that I can use record music and plug into a guitar effects board, but I'd also like to use them for playing games, and listening to Spotify when at work. Is it possible to get something good at around 200$?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

How are these? Lost my last set of buds and need a cheep pair for the gym before the holiday is up

don't really want to go past the 40 dollar range for this

I was actually using a pair of Soundmagic E10's before this, should I just get another pair of those?

Ruggington fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Nov 27, 2015

Astaldo
Jan 4, 2015

xXxGangsterNinjaAssassinxXx

Boz0r posted:

I'm looking for some circumaural headphones that I can use record music and plug into a guitar effects board, but I'd also like to use them for playing games, and listening to Spotify when at work. Is it possible to get something good at around 200$?

closed I would look at the Audio Technica M50x http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technic...1&keywords=m50x
open I would look at the sennheiser HD598 http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-598-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B0126HISOO/ref=sr_1_2?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1448633772&sr=1-2&keywords=hd598
Black Friday, so hurry up

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

HD 598s for $95 gogogogo

edit: oh literally should have checked the last post.

Astaldo
Jan 4, 2015

xXxGangsterNinjaAssassinxXx

hope and vaseline posted:

HD 598s for $95 gogogogo

Heh, pretty sweet deal though. They were already punching above their weight for the original price.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Does anyone make decent headphones with inline controls?

Pursus
Nov 27, 2007

Hook on!

Blinkz0rz posted:

Does anyone make decent headphones with inline controls?

Inline controls are just a different wire, so there's quite a few that do it optionally because they have removable cables. Generally, you just have to look for cans that the manufacturer considers portable. The Momentum series comes with a plain wire and one with controls. The Oppo PM-3 has optional control cables. You can get cables for the Shure IEMs that have controls. Vmoda, etc. There are plenty more out there.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, there are tons of great headphones with inline controls. What's your budget and what are you looking for?

Also: V-Moda M-100's are on sale for $150 at the Microsoft store: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...modachr_112615. For dude above, this has inline controls.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I am a complete sucker and jumped on the Massdrop X Fostex thing. $399 for something between the Fostex 600 and 900?

Hopefully they will be an upgrade for my ATH M50 for everyday use since the LCD-XC is pretty heavy.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Pursus posted:

Inline controls are just a different wire, so there's quite a few that do it optionally because they have removable cables. Generally, you just have to look for cans that the manufacturer considers portable. The Momentum series comes with a plain wire and one with controls. The Oppo PM-3 has optional control cables. You can get cables for the Shure IEMs that have controls. Vmoda, etc. There are plenty more out there.

You also have to read carefully on which devices they support as well since iOS controls and android controls tend to not be compatible.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

:frogsiren: Beyerdynamic DT990s on sale for 125usd :frogsiren:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0011UB9CQ?ref_=gb1h_tit_m-3_4622_ad16a405&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

powderific posted:

Yeah, there are tons of great headphones with inline controls. What's your budget and what are you looking for?

Also: V-Moda M-100's are on sale for $150 at the Microsoft store: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...modachr_112615. For dude above, this has inline controls.

$100ish. I prefer IEMs and already have a pair of Shure SE215s but I'm looking for something a bit more commuter oriented.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

halokiller posted:

You also have to read carefully on which devices they support as well since iOS controls and android controls tend to not be compatible.

Most Android phones can detect inline controls designed for iOS and work correctly with them, at least for basic functionality like play/pause and volume control.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I'm looking for a recommendation on some bluetooth ear buds to pair with my phone. These would be used for normal situations such as listening around the house but also I would like to be able to use them when shooting hoops and running on a treadmill so I would prioritize range and ear retention. Sound quality is less of an issue since I mostly listen to audio books.

I am looking to spend in the $50 range but could go higher if needed.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
sorry I'm late, but...

Blinkz0rz posted:

They also don't have inline controls which is a non-negotiable feature.

:sigh:

does this not work?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B016HD5GVQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1GPPHU5Y0UMEJ&coliid=I3W4NNS6TWTPYV

Also, I've got a set of ATH M-70x but I'm seriously considering this <$100 Sennheiser 598 deal because I'd like some open backs for listening to my vinyl.

Do I bite the bullet or should I consider a set of the dt990 pro's for $150
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0011UB9CQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=IN4LZCAEPGY6&coliid=I3FTCSFW5IT6CR&psc=1

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
Do you have an amp? If not, those DT990s will not sound very good since only the 250 ohm are on sale. If you have an amp, those headphones are beautiful though.

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member.
Thanks all.

I'll do some research into IEMs. I never knew they existed, or were any different from the earbuds you stick into your ears.

The construction work will only be temporary-- otherwise it's general open office noise, ranging from the din of conversation to raucous conversations next to me. Maybe I'll head to BestBuy and try to test some out in person.

Any other suggestions instead of pink noise? I am used to it, but have noticed some issues with my internal monologue. Especially since I do a lot of focused writing/research, so it is quite difficult.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
IEM's with good isolation are ideal for that kind of situation since they're like earplugs. Short of shooting earmuffs nothing is going to isolate you from the outside world as well as IEM's that seat deep in the ear.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

Do you have an amp? If not, those DT990s will not sound very good since only the 250 ohm are on sale. If you have an amp, those headphones are beautiful though.

Yes and no. I've got an old pioneer receiver with the phono pre-amp built in but it's early solid-state and sounds pretty lovely. I'll be building some dedicated headphone amps over the winter so I can afford to unload this hunk of junk.

I went ahead and bought the Sennheiser's anyway. It's Amazon prime so I'll just return them if I don't like them.

Grouco posted:

Thanks all.

I'll do some research into IEMs. I never knew they existed, or were any different from the earbuds you stick into your ears.

The construction work will only be temporary-- otherwise it's general open office noise, ranging from the din of conversation to raucous conversations next to me. Maybe I'll head to BestBuy and try to test some out in person.

Any other suggestions instead of pink noise? I am used to it, but have noticed some issues with my internal monologue. Especially since I do a lot of focused writing/research, so it is quite difficult.

I don't think they'll have IEM's available to actually stick in your ear. If they do, bring something to clean them off with, because eww..

Sabriel
May 21, 2006

"Does the walker choose the path, or does the path choose the walker?"

Taima posted:

Yeah that's what I was immediately going to say when I saw that post. Skip the 650, get the 600.

I did exactly this since my crappy headset was on the way out. Was a really big impulse purchase for me, but after using them for a few days it was really worth it!

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

hope and vaseline posted:

HD 598s for $95 gogogogo

So I picked these up. They sound good. Should I get an amp for them? I'm not a ridiculous audiophile but since I own these, does it make sense to have an amp?

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

So I picked these up. They sound good. Should I get an amp for them? I'm not a ridiculous audiophile but since I own these, does it make sense to have an amp?

Not really. They would make a slight difference but it wouldn't exactly be worth it for just the 598.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I bought a pair of Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Wireless headphones.

They hurt to wear for more than maybe an hour, which kills them for me. This is a drat shame as I like everything else about them (sound quality, battery life, ANC, Wireless, etc.).

I'm probably going to return them, but I have some time to try to alleviate the problem first.

Does anyone know of replacement ear pads which are larger than the stock ones? The stock pads touch my ears just a little, which results in pain after an hour or so. I think if the pads were simply bigger the problem would disappear. For the record, I find Bose around-ear headphones to be immensely comfortable for long periods, likely owing to the large size of the ear pads.

Chimp_On_Stilts fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 30, 2015

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Audio Technica ATH-M50x with $25 Gift card $119.00

dead now.

baram. fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 30, 2015

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

Do they sound loud enough for you with the source you're using? If yes then don't bother. They add a small (note, very small) amount of bass level to the mix but they're really good on their own. The only time I amp them is if I'm playing games with them. Listening to music they're wonderful on their own.

If this is your first set of "audiophile" headphones and you're not really knowing what to look for, you're not going to notice a big difference with an amp. Heck, a lot of self professed audiophiles don't see much improvement with an amp.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Two reasons to get an amp:

1. You have really high (or really low) impedance cans.
2. Your source isn't loud enough and/or you want to go deaf.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Are the Klipsch R6i or X6i any good? The R6i's seem the closest to the S4i II's that I had.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Anyone have experience with the Jaybird X2? It gets top marks on all the reviews of wireless sport earbuds that I've seen but I would like to make sure its not just industry kickbacks before I drop $150 on them.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Anyone have experience with the Jaybird X2? It gets top marks on all the reviews of wireless sport earbuds that I've seen but I would like to make sure its not just industry kickbacks before I drop $150 on them.

I've used the Jaybird X2 and it's predecessor, the X, for close to 3 years now after trying out pretty much every other major bluetooth earphone. They're excellent for me, but it really depends on your usecase. Sound quality wise, a pair decent sub-$100 wired IEMs beat it out, no contest, but that's just a limitation of Bluetooth.

What matters for me is that a) the build quality is great (I've used them through rain, sleet, snow, whatever on daily 5 mile runs for years and have had literally 0 issues with connectivity), b) the battery life is great (I charge them once every two or three days and get somewhere between 7-9 hours), and c) great customer service and isn't a fly-by-night Chinese manufacturer. My original X's wire was stripped after a run-in with the dog about a year in, but they happily replaced them for me, free of charge.

BitesizedNike fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 2, 2015

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

KillHour posted:

Two reasons to get an amp:

1. You have really high (or really low) impedance cans.
2. Your source isn't loud enough and/or you want to go deaf.

you forgot bragging rights and adding ground hum.
Also, some amps change the sound profile a bit (see tube amps) so there's that.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

Salvor_Hardin posted:

They take a little experimenting with to get the right fit, but once you get that right they're excellent and absolutely worth the price if wireless connectivity is important to you.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Slowhanded posted:

I've used the Jaybird X2 and it's predecessor, the X, for close to 3 years now after trying out pretty much every other major bluetooth earphone. They're excellent for me, but it really depends on your usecase. Sound quality wise, a pair decent sub-$100 wired IEMs beat it out, no contest, but that's just a limitation of Bluetooth.

What matters for me is that a) the build quality is great (I've used them through rain, sleet, snow, whatever on daily 5 mile runs for years and have had literally 0 issues with connectivity), b) the battery life is great (I charge them once every two or three days and get somewhere between 7-9 hours), and c) great customer service and isn't a fly-by-night Chinese manufacturer. My original X's wire was stripped after a run-in with the dog about a year in, but they happily replaced them for me, free of charge.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

They take a little experimenting with to get the right fit, but once you get that right they're excellent and absolutely worth the price if wireless connectivity is important to you.

Thanks guys. My biggest careabouts are connectivity range and ability to stay in ear since I'd like to use them when shooting hoops and it looks like they do well for that.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Thanks guys. My biggest careabouts are connectivity range and ability to stay in ear since I'd like to use them when shooting hoops and it looks like they do well for that.

I can get to the the towels from the squat racks in my gym without any dropout. I would reckon that's a little longer than a regulation basketball court from end to end, so you'll be fine.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Grouco posted:

Are Bose QuietComfort® 25 Acoustic Noise Cancelling® headphones the best out there? I work in an open plan office, and we are currently doing heavy construction renos, so I'd like to invest it something solid and top quality.

I do wish there was a good option with a microphone (so I can still use my VOIP phone), and/or wireless connectivity. But if Bose is the best quality option I'd go for that.

I would second the recommendations that noise cancelling isn't going to do well here, but I would also point out that the QC25s come with a cable wire that has an inline mic and controls.

Now my question: how worth it is an amp going to be for Senn 600s compared to say cranking an iPhone or Mac's volume?

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

MrBond posted:

Now my question: how worth it is an amp going to be for Senn 600s compared to say cranking an iPhone or Mac's volume?

The HD600 has an impedance of 300 ohms; it isn't even a choice, they need to be amped.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Slowhanded posted:

The HD600 has an impedance of 300 ohms; it isn't even a choice, they need to be amped.

Yeah I was worried that was the correct answer. Before I start digging down the rabbit hole of amps, what's a good choice here [edit:] for someone jumping up to a 600 from a 558. Mostly stationary desk listening but I wouldn't mind the portable option if such a thing were feasible. That'd be less walking around the street and more around the house, plus presumably it'd be compact in size? Budget ideally below $100 US.

MrBond fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Dec 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
The Fiio A3 (formerly E11k) sounds about right for your price range and need for battery. It's about the size of an iPod Touch. Your options are considerably higher quality if you can do without the need for it to be portable, however.