Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

One thing I never understood : If you buy something with VIP points, you don't get vip points for whatever you save. It seems like that reduces the value of the points and means you shouldn't use vip points while double or triple points are active.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Dr. Light posted:

For anyone interested in some CITY or CREATOR sets, it looks like they are 30% off at Barnes & Noble's website. Not all LEGO sets are discounted (I'm pretty sure the modulars and Star Wars sets aren't) but some are! You'll see the discount in your cart if the set you're interested in is discounted.

They were also having a bogo 50% off on educational toys but all their prices are list and it did not add up to much of a savings.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

is it set up to bid or just a buy it now? You might be over estimating the value of things.

Yeah, if your Lego isn't selling, the starting price+shipping is just too high. Anything recent near MSRP generally won't sell, even unopened. Discontinued unopened sets could probably ask near MSRP, but it'd probably take 'investment' just-discontinued sets like modulars or Ideas stuff to ask at or above MSRP.
I see sealed Galaxy Squad stuff going for 50-70% of MSRP, but I don't think anyone will buy the Alien Conquest Earth Defense HQ for nearly 2x MSRP.
Most people looking at ebay for Lego are probably either collectors, or people looking for a good deal. Collectors know the market and usually won't buy on ebay if they can get a better deal on Bricklink.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
Yeah. It's listed on an auction site for $200, but what did it sell for?

It's worth $200, but I'd have to have it framed, it'll take up floor space, it may sit around for a couple of years.

I'll give you $20.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
The Dr. Who set is already temporarily sold out online in Germany and allegedly Santa's visit isn't available anymore (it vanished from the store, but that happened before).
So I just rang up the local Lego store. They had plenty in stock so she packed a bag with the Dr. Who set, Santa's visit and the gingerbread house with my name on it, for me to pick up later today any time I want. Plus I get the calendar.

Every time I talk to Lego employees for anything they have been incredibly friendly, helpful and passionate about their products. From ordering on the phone, chatting about products in store to helping me "feel up" minifigs.
I feel opposed to other companies Lego actually get's "friendly, helpful and caring about our products" exactly right instead of becoming a cult with annoying over-friendlyness like so many others who claim to be the former.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
My kid wants K'nex for Christmas :cry:

I feel like I've failed as a parent

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
You have 3 options here:

1. Ignore their wish, you as a parent know what is best for them, even if they don't understand now, they will when they are older. :colbert:

2. Get him/her both a mediocre K'nex set and an awesome Lego one and hope it will sort itself.
Even though that would probably make you a cunning and manipulative parent. But at least it is for a good cause. :devil:

3. Comedy option: You need to understand it is normal and okay for your child not to like Legos. It has it's bright sides, too. They are less likely to play with your display models for example.
Read one of the guides for parents "How to accept your child is gay into K'nex." Simply replace every instance of gay with K'nex. :gay:

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Hopper posted:

3. Comedy option: You need to understand it is normal and okay for your child not to like Legos. It has it's bright sides, too. They are less likely to play with your display models for example.
Read one of the guides for parents "How to accept your child is gay into K'nex." Simply replace every instance of gay with K'nex. :gay:

At least it's better than megablox which would make this comedy option replace every instance of "serial killer" with megablox

Fortunately he wants Lego too and K'nex isn't that bad for a certain type of creative construction and won't pollute a Lego collection the same way other "compatible building block products" do. Also a massive tub of it costs the same as a small licensed set, so there's that. Maybe it will be a gateway drug into Technic. I've never been into Technic but the internal construction of a lot of recent sets (especially Ultra Agents, which had some incredibly well designed sets... probably the best I've seen since I got back into Lego a couple of years ago) has got be interested. Want that cargo plane.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Hopper posted:

Every time I talk to Lego employees for anything they have been incredibly friendly, helpful and passionate about their products. From ordering on the phone, chatting about products in store to helping me "feel up" minifigs.
I feel opposed to other companies Lego actually get's "friendly, helpful and caring about our products" exactly right instead of becoming a cult with annoying over-friendlyness like so many others who claim to be the former.
I have noticed this also, I attribute it to the fact that Lego actually is a fun product. I am a fan of Lego, and I would love to work at a Lego store. . . Any other retail job selling pots or sheets or other crap is just soul crushing "Our staff is so helpful! Look if you buy three pots you can save 7% isn't that amazing! Please tell my boss i'm friendly!"

Gravy Jones posted:

I used to have a set of K'net before they started doing their Lego clone line. It was all axles and gear like connectors, I played with it for a month or two because it was something new and different. I never had an Erector Set but I always wanted one, especially after I watched the movie Sandlot and saw the Erector Set machine the kid made to try to save the baseball. . . Hell, for what it's worth, I actually bought two big mega books sets (space shuttle and moon base thing) when I was little because they were such a low price but I soon learned my lesson and to this day I am still struggling to purge any and all non-Lego from my collection.

Tldr; it's just a phase, unless he is into ballet too. :shrug:

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Who did you piss off to get that Avatar?

DethMarine21
Dec 4, 2008
As a kid I always wanted the K'nex Big Ball Factory or one of their roller coasters. I did eventually get a set with a solar panel and motor which was neat.

Also free shipping on shop.lego.com today. I picked up the 60113 Rally Car because I couldn't resist those angry looking "LIGHT" brand headlights.

DethMarine21 fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Dec 1, 2015

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Gravy Jones posted:

Buy him some of those K'nex nerf gun things. Then to him K'new will be an "active play" toy, and lego will be a sit down and have fun with you type of toy. Basically manipulate him by giving them different roles in his play time, so he doesn't associate them as replacements for each other.

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007
Or just get both. I used to play with k'nex and lego both as a kid.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
No shame in multiple construction toys. We had Lego, Construx, and some metal screw-together construction whose name I can't recall when we were kids. They were all good for different things.

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.
I used K'nex to build a frame of the Hindenburg as it was ablaze for an elementary school diorama. Looked pretty rad.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Anora posted:

Buy him some of those K'nex nerf gun things. Then to him K'new will be an "active play" toy, and lego will be a sit down and have fun with you type of toy. Basically manipulate him by giving them different roles in his play time, so he doesn't associate them as replacements for each other.

Don't do this, get him what he wants. "Manipulating" your kid to associate different pieces of plastic with different things is weird and messed up.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

kefkafloyd posted:

No shame in multiple construction toys. We had Lego, Construx, and some metal screw-together construction whose name I can't recall when we were kids. They were all good for different things.

Erector sets?

Aslo, what's up Construx buddy? I didn't know anyone else who had those when growing up.

I also had Erector sets, but never any Kinex.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I had construx! I remember making a proton pack out of it when I was about 8.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I pretty much went straight from Tinker Toys and Lincoln Logs to Lego and that was the end of it. There was a period of building scale models as a teenager but that's not really an engineering toy, it's just a glue and paint by numbers.

Not sure why my parents never got me an erector set. I wonder if they felt it was "too serious" for me. Or maybe it was because they had so much invested in Lego (and I loved the stuff) they saw no reason to try anything else.

xzzy fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 1, 2015

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Construx were great. I remember when they came out with knex when I was a kid and thinking they were a crappy contrux ripoff.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Gravy Jones posted:

I remember as a kid I just played with what I thought was fun and gave no thought to where it came from (I probably thought LEGO and K'nex were the same toy at some point).

I did grow out of K'nex and more into LEGO as I got older because LEGO had the Star Wars license, I think.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Not entirely sure that putting a motor on thin metal blades is 100% safe.

Also love that the last thing you can build on the left side is just a crawling dude.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Don't do this, get him what he wants. "Manipulating" your kid to associate different pieces of plastic with different things is weird and messed up.

To be fair most of parenting is manipulating your kid to not be a selfish prick. Making them like good things can be a part of that.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
K'nex and lego aren't totally incompatible.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I have Doctor Who Lego! :D

Also the Winter and Xmas minisets, which meant I got the Gingerbread House and the calendar. Today was a good day.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
Capsela never worked with anything else, and I kind of miss those ridiculous bath toys.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Thank you. Couldn't remember the name of those things for the life of me.

I had so many different construction toys as a kid I've probably forgotten the existence of some entirely.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

I have Doctor Who Lego! :D

Also the Winter and Xmas minisets, which meant I got the Gingerbread House and the calendar. Today was a good day.

Same but unironically minus the winter set. That didn't appeal to me.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

DrBouvenstein posted:

Erector sets?

THANK YOU! Right on the tip of my tongue, I tell ya.

quote:

Aslo, what's up Construx buddy? I didn't know anyone else who had those when growing up.

I also had Erector sets, but never any Kinex.

I never had kinex either; by the time they came out I was fully in the Lego camp. Construx were great for making things like bazookas and action figure cars. I wonder why they haven't made a comeback yet.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Anora posted:

Not entirely sure that putting a motor on thin metal blades is 100% safe.

With my kit, I got a helicopter to actually achieve a small amount of uncontrolled lift. So, yes, very dangerous.

benito posted:

Capsela never worked with anything else, and I kind of miss those ridiculous bath toys.

Capsela was a lot of fun. I had Construx, too.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Construx owned. They were very well priced and from a kid perspective you could build huge things.

The best Christmas ever was actually born out of a huge let down. My parents got me a knock off Turbo Hopper RC car which of course meant it broke a few hours after opening it. I was turned off of the idea of replacing it with another RC car so I asked my parents if I could use the refund money on this instead.

It was almost too big for me to carry with both arms.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I only found Construx at mark-down stores like TJ Maxx and Kohl's when I was a kid and it quickly became my go-to Rebel Base for Star Wars stuff. The sets I had were all grey and dark red and spacey with some wheel bits.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Maybe it wasn't Construx. Everything was light grey with red accents and all the pieces had greeblies and connected with hexagons.

DethMarine21
Dec 4, 2008
Sounds like Robotix. I also got my first set of those for some ridiculous discount at Marshalls.

DethMarine21 fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 2, 2015

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I had some thing that you "riveted" together using a battery powered drill thing. Essentially the friction melted the plastic rivets and held the things together. Can't remember the name.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Postin' from the Downtown Disney Lego store.

Slamma Jamma!
May 20, 2010

I'm also selling the new UCS tie fighter assembled, but with box and manual, etc. PM me.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Aww yiss, getting Left Shark.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
God drat, that's a really solid series.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Filling up on rocket fuel and getting me an Ultimate Warrior minifig, Ho Kogan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper