Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Bird in a Blender posted:

I actually didn't see texters or drunks, but I didn't go all the way through. Great video to teach people why to always wear a seat belt though, especially at 3:39. Backseat has two people, one with a seat belt, one without. Guess who looks way more hurt?

Edit: Looks like the real idiots start around the 5 minute mark.

Yeah I lost my very best friend a few years back in an accident that involved a head on collision. Neither her or the guy she was with were wearing their seat belts. They both died. The people in the other car survived. They had theirs on. Such a loving pointless way to die. Buckle up folks.

What was surprising was how calm most of those people looked while in the middle of spinning out and crashing.

And my God those people texting and driving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Pierzak posted:

Brake test. The brakes work.

http://i.imgur.com/ZP1brrD.webm

This one's better with sound :D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a8wfF9hba8

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

There's a whole lot of really stupid people on the roads today. Anyone that uses a phone while driving deserves to have their license revoked on the spot.

Well ACTUALLY roads are designed for much higher speeds! Speed limits are only set so low so the government can extort money from all the perfectly good and responsible drivers :shrek:

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

The Republicans have spent decades cultivating a voter base comprised of some of the lowest common denominator groups in order to win elections, and now it's biting them in the rear end:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/02/us/politics/wary-of-donald-trump-gop-leaders-are-caught-in-a-standoff.html?_r=2

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Anosmoman posted:

Well ACTUALLY roads are designed for much higher speeds! Speed limits are only set so low so the government can extort money from all the perfectly good and responsible drivers :shrek:

Except that this is actually a problem discussed by traffic engineers with alarming frequency.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

bitches be trippin'

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Javid posted:

Except that this is actually a problem discussed by traffic engineers with alarming frequency.

There's a good post about setting speed limits too low on the first page of the Ask a Traffic Engineer thread. Long story short, speed limits are supposed to be set somewhere around the fastest speed at which the worst designed vehicle can safely negotiate the road in dry conditions (called design speed). But grandpa complains about those drat kids driving too fast and the speed limit gets lowered because old people vote in local elections. Most roads (at least most roads the OP has done a speed study on) then end up with speed limits about 10 MPH lower than the design speeds (and surprise, most end up driving near the design speed anyway).

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Not My Leg posted:

There's a good post about setting speed limits too low on the first page of the Ask a Traffic Engineer thread. Long story short, speed limits are supposed to be set somewhere around the fastest speed at which the worst designed vehicle can safely negotiate the road in dry conditions (called design speed). But grandpa complains about those drat kids driving too fast and the speed limit gets lowered because old people vote in local elections. Most roads (at least most roads the OP has done a speed study on) then end up with speed limits about 10 MPH lower than the design speeds (and surprise, most end up driving near the design speed anyway).

In fact, Montana experimented with removing speed limits in the day altogether and found that accidents decreased. Turns out people who are going to drive at dangerous speeds will be dangerous assholes even when it's illegal, and most drivers just drive at whatever speed is comfortable for them in the first place.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Testekill posted:

I was actually considering posting about survivor series last week. There's just something beautiful about the WWE attempting to make Roman Reigns as sympathetic as possible and the fans booing him afterwards so loudly that they have to turn off the crowd mics and pump his music way up. It just shows that they don't learn since the exact same thing happened the last time they tried to make Roman a big deal.

They actually got the crowd to boo the Rock for celebrating with Roman after he had won the Royal Rumble. The crowd hated Roman so much that they hated Rocky for associating with him and he was supposed to be the badass hero that overcame two giants and a Russian.

why do they hate him? did he murder his family but forget to commit suicide?

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

chitoryu12 posted:

In fact, Montana experimented with removing speed limits in the day altogether and found that accidents decreased. Turns out people who are going to drive at dangerous speeds will be dangerous assholes even when it's illegal, and most drivers just drive at whatever speed is comfortable for them in the first place.

Go to Germany. The autobahns have a minimum speed but no maximum.

You'd be mad to try and max your car though; quite a lot of it is dual carriage and German lorry drivers do not give a gently caress about right of way.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

snergle posted:

because he was pushed into the spotlight very inorganically by whatever idiots write WWE and you could see it a mile away. Trying to turn him into the Next Big Thing but with no real support among fans, ignoring that and trying harder and harder... He's become a proxy for whatever frustrations the fans have with the management/writing of WWE.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Anosmoman posted:

The USG passed a law and pressured the states to set a cap of 55 mph by restricting federal funds, even if the roads were designed for much faster traffic in the 70s as a way to reduce oil consumption during the energy crisis.

Act was repealed eventually, but institutional inertia and all that means there are still old roads that are lower than it needs to be.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

snergle posted:

I'm not certain he is 100% white or at the very least he doesn't like pickup trucks and shooting unregistered firearms from the roadside.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

KazigluBey posted:

because he was pushed into the spotlight very inorganically by whatever idiots write WWE and you could see it a mile away. Trying to turn him into the Next Big Thing but with no real support among fans, ignoring that and trying harder and harder... He's become a proxy for whatever frustrations the fans have with the management/writing of WWE.

I've been falling behind on wrestling, but what I've seen of Roman is a lot of crap. The guy's a poo poo actor even by wrestler standards and doesn't have nearly as much charisma as WWE thinks he does.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Decrepus posted:

I'm not certain he is 100% white or at the very least he doesn't like pickup trucks and shooting unregistered firearms from the roadside.

the rock is / was beloved and he is 100% somoan.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
The Rock is a gem of a human being.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

snergle posted:

the rock is / was beloved and he is 100% somoan.

Half black, half Samoan.

Eponine posted:

The Rock is a gem of a human being.

Agreed.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Plucky Brit posted:

You have a speed limit between 100(km/h) and 120 on most of the autobahn. There are only some parts where you have no limit (but if you're faster than 130 and crash with someone driving below 130 you're at full fault insurance-wise, if you survive). There is a speed minimum but it's like 60 or something. Just saying so no one thinks the speed signs at the autobahn are the minimum you have to drive.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

snergle posted:

wrestling fans and promoters are giant retards

Basically the hatred from Roman comes from a few places

WWE has a really popular guy named Daniel Bryan who has basically been a real underdog. He had been screwed out of the title several times and finally won it at Wrestlemania after his father died, and was poised for a decently long run.

Then it turns out the wrestling style that got him really popular really hosed up his neck, and he had to vacate the title a month into his reign because he needed surgery and an arm that could work.

When WWE broke up the Shield by having Seth "My ex-fiance posted my dick pics on twitter after I dumped her for a nazi" Rollins, around the same time of the title vacating, there were 2 babyfaces that came out of it - Dean Ambrose and Roman Reigns.

Reigns was always given higher matches on the card, though Ambrose feuded with Rollins and headlined a show. The message is clear, WWE wants Roman Reigns to be the next Cena/Hogan/Bruno as a long lasting top babyface of the company.

Reigns was doing pretty well for a while, but Ambrose fans got miffed after he was written off TV (Ambrose left to film a movie) and Reigns was slotted into the Rollins program in his place. Reigns had to leave to get surgery (strangulated hernia), so he never really finished his feud with Seth, and Ambrose came back and the feud with Rollins kind of petered on until Hatsune Miku popped out of a lantern and things went to poo poo after that.

Fast forward to the end of the year, where Ambrose has a pretty good head of momentum, Reigns is building his back up again, and we get to the Royal Rumble.

The winner of the rumble gets a spot in the ME of Wrestlemania. Daniel Bryan coms back after finally getting a quack to clear his rehab, and is entered into the rumble as well.

People remember last year. They really want Bryan to win. They might be ok with Ambrose. Some of the snarkier fans don't want anything to do with Reigns, because he cooled off after his hernia surgery.

At the end of the Rumble, Reigns wins and the fans boo because it isn't Ambrose and it isn't Bryan.

Daniel Bryan then wrestles another 3 months still doing really stupid head and neck spots after his surgery and concusses himself right after Wrestlemania and he hasn't been on TV since.

chitoryu12 posted:

I've been falling behind on wrestling, but what I've seen of Roman is a lot of crap. The guy's a poo poo actor even by wrestler standards and doesn't have nearly as much charisma as WWE thinks he does.

Reigns is a decent promo, but they were really writing some horrible material for a while. Rock might have salvaged some of it, but having a dude who basically should be "I'm big. I'm strong. gently caress you. I'm doing this poo poo my way." should not be saying "Sufferin' Sucotash".

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK has a new favorite as of 01:37 on Dec 2, 2015

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

ayn rand hand job posted:

You really could've saved yourself a helluva lot of time and effort by stopping at the end of this sentence

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

http://i.imgur.com/DaGBc84.gifv

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

until Hatsune Miku popped out of a lantern and things went to poo poo after that.

what?

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

snergle posted:

savage

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, that was weird.

Mr. Yuk
Apr 1, 2005

In case of accidental ingestion, please consult a mortician.

He's being semi-facetious, but Bray Wyatt came in at the end of a cage match and set a lantern in the middle of the ring with a ghost hologram thing projecting from inside it or some poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmTWYklPMF8

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Dude is being chased by something resembling a man-eating Harley with teeth. I'll rot for the sow.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Dude is being chased by something resembling a man-eating Harley with teeth. I'll rot for the sow.
That's a female boar.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

kalstrams posted:

That's a female boar.

Female boars ARE CALLED SOWS wtf

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
He means she's just really tedious

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

RabbitWizard posted:

You have a speed limit between 100(km/h) and 120 on most of the autobahn. There are only some parts where you have no limit (but if you're faster than 130 and crash with someone driving below 130 you're at full fault insurance-wise, if you survive). There is a speed minimum but it's like 60 or something. Just saying so no one thinks the speed signs at the autobahn are the minimum you have to drive.

My mom, based on a couple trips to Germany, adores the autobahn. This is a woman who is terrified of speeds over 60mph. She loves it because, as she claims, there is a huge factor that solves sooooo many problems: the left lane, like most places, is the passing lane, but Germany actually enforces it hard.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Who would've thunk that German's would solve traffic problems through rigorous and strict adherence to the rules.

Discount Dracula
Aug 15, 2003

Nap Ghost
Here is Tom Brady giving refs the biggest :rolleyes: possible. He reminds me of Paul Rudd's lazy teenager character in Wet Hot American Summer.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Discount Dracula posted:

Here is Tom Brady giving refs the biggest :rolleyes: possible. He reminds me of Paul Rudd's lazy teenager character in Wet Hot American Summer.

It's frame-for-frame perfect

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Plucky Brit posted:

You'd be mad to try and max your car though; quite a lot of it is dual carriage and German lorry drivers do not give a gently caress about right of way.

Trucks aren't allowed on the autobahn on weekends.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

I'm the guy with no problem walking on one leg.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Basically the hatred from Roman comes from a few places

WWE has a really popular guy named Daniel Bryan who has basically been a real underdog. He had been screwed out of the title several times and finally won it at Wrestlemania after his father died, and was poised for a decently long run.

Then it turns out the wrestling style that got him really popular really hosed up his neck, and he had to vacate the title a month into his reign because he needed surgery and an arm that could work.

When WWE broke up the Shield by having Seth "My ex-fiance posted my dick pics on twitter after I dumped her for a nazi" Rollins, around the same time of the title vacating, there were 2 babyfaces that came out of it - Dean Ambrose and Roman Reigns.

Reigns was always given higher matches on the card, though Ambrose feuded with Rollins and headlined a show. The message is clear, WWE wants Roman Reigns to be the next Cena/Hogan/Bruno as a long lasting top babyface of the company.

Reigns was doing pretty well for a while, but Ambrose fans got miffed after he was written off TV (Ambrose left to film a movie) and Reigns was slotted into the Rollins program in his place. Reigns had to leave to get surgery (strangulated hernia), so he never really finished his feud with Seth, and Ambrose came back and the feud with Rollins kind of petered on until Hatsune Miku popped out of a lantern and things went to poo poo after that.

Fast forward to the end of the year, where Ambrose has a pretty good head of momentum, Reigns is building his back up again, and we get to the Royal Rumble.

The winner of the rumble gets a spot in the ME of Wrestlemania. Daniel Bryan coms back after finally getting a quack to clear his rehab, and is entered into the rumble as well.

People remember last year. They really want Bryan to win. They might be ok with Ambrose. Some of the snarkier fans don't want anything to do with Reigns, because he cooled off after his hernia surgery.

At the end of the Rumble, Reigns wins and the fans boo because it isn't Ambrose and it isn't Bryan.

Don't forget what else pissed off the fans. The last three people in the ring that people cared about were eliminated like this

just so that Roman could look like a badass by beating two big dudes with a combined age of 91. They actively sabotaged the match by making the other remaining heroes and Bray Wyatt look like poo poo.

You know what?

A pallette cleanser of sorts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1Kgk33NSnQ

The Miz isn't very good at catching people and you'd think that people would learn.

Natalya is maybe drunk

Testekill has a new favorite as of 10:20 on Dec 2, 2015

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

the only schadenfreude involved with wrestling is the people who watch it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Testekill posted:

A pallette cleanser of sorts.

:confused: