Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That was legit amazing. Ollie and Barry's banter in the church reminded me of Angel and Spike from the last season of Angel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Stayne Falls posted:

That episode owned all the bones, jfc.

I rewound that entire opening scene with Team Arrow and Damien Darkh. Now that is a loving comic book on television.

"Haha! Why are we stealing this bomb? Because they didn't hide it good enough and this will be an object lesson!"

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

also, Carter Hall was a diiiiiick for sure. hope he bites it in Legends of Tomorrow. The dialogue of the episode was on point as well. wonder how Oliver's gonna react to his son suddenly appearing

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Mooseontheloose posted:

Last year wasn't that bad but yes, this year is much better.

It was. It really was.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The only thing is that they really need to find a better way to write Jay. Anything but this whiny whiner whinerson.

The JSA gets pretty shafted by Team Berlanti.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

BrianWilly posted:

HAWKBLOCKED

:five: :golfclap:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
DIDN'T JOE WEST EXPLAIN THAT TO YOU

Lol like Joe tells people poo poo

Woden
May 6, 2006
Easily best episode so far, so much good dialogue and Speedy going hardcore killer was really bad rear end instead of the usual annoying.

Woden fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 2, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Don't give him too much credit, he stole that from Matt Fraction's Hawkeye.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=hawkblocking

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Carlosologist posted:

Are we not gonna talk about Oliver running into his kid? because that's pretty loving crazy

If the HIVE plotline is anything to go by, it'll come into play for season 9 of Arrow.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Malcolm is the best just showing up out of nowhere to be a smug rear end in a top hat

Ollie, use better tactics next time running at a guy is hardly being Napoleon.

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 2, 2015

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Wherever the Ollie's illegitimate kid thing is going, it's probably totally unnecessary and should've been replaced with more smug Malcom.

twistedmentat posted:

Thanks Barry!
Dude...

Best way to reveal someones identity.

Also, I want to believe that Sisco and Felicity messed up the hi-five and they kept it in because it was awesome.

I want to know what Sisco would call Thea.

Arrowette

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Great episode, looking forward to tomorrow and god drat is Neil McDonough nailing it this season. Everything about his scene and his reaction to Barry was just glorious. His reaction is right up there with Diggle's from the last crossover.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Dec 2, 2015

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Particularly after watching Supergirl I'm just floored by how much chemistry everyone in these shows has. Stick any two people in a scene and it works.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Dexo posted:

Welp. Least he put it together and isn't dumb

It helps that the mother got caught in the slow mo machine and picked that moment to be exceptionally affectionate with her clumsy little son on his way back from the bathroom ... for apparently no reason.

And while it was generally a good episode, and will of course force me to watch tomorrow's Arrow, I'm not really enamored of Team Arrow, they still haven't made up for last season. Also there was some pretty terrible CG in there.

But I liked most of it anyway.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Awesome episode. I'm pretty sure Patty will be clued in on the secret in the next episode or two. It's nearly unavoidable by now.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lol if you think they aren't going to drag Patty being ignorant out for like 3-4 more episodes.

It was a very good episode as has been said, although the Team Flash stuff in STAR Labs felt a bit perfunctory since it's p. obvious that Zoom uses time-manipulation and not the speed-force so all this poo poo with the serum and Barry's speed is just padding and Jay needs to seriously get his speed back because this version of him suuuuuuucks. Cisco's conditioner game is indeed on-point and it'd be nice if he could throw some game at Thea now that Kendra is out of the picture. Couldn't help but feel bad for the guy. Barrowman owned. Oliver's kid owned in the best soap opera way. Dhark owned. Savage owned. I even dug Carter Hall and I never dig Carter Hall. Great effort from everyone producing these shows I really do hope they're proud, because they've pulled off some deceptively hard storytelling.

Man if you had told me 10 years ago that not only would I be watching the second annual Arrow/Flash crossover and that it was being used to set up a series starring Rip Hunter, the Atom, Firestorm, the Hawks, not-Black Canary, and Captain Cold/Heatwave hunting Vandal Savage through time and that it would be good I would have called you a madman who dreams of snakes.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Dec 2, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

mind the walrus posted:

it's p. obvious that Zoom uses time-manipulation and not the speed-force so all this poo poo with the serum and Barry's speed is just padding

What's happened in the show that makes what Zoom does obvious?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Blue lightning to indicate "not of the speed force." the constant "clipping" presentation of how his speed manifests. Yes knowing how Zolomman's Zoom works in the comics is my primary basis but it's not like the evidence can't support the hypothesis that it's the same in the show.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

mind the walrus posted:

Blue lightning to indicate "not of the speed force." the constant "clipping" presentation of how his speed manifests. Yes knowing how Zolomman's Zoom works in the comics is my primary basis but it's not like the evidence can't support the hypothesis that it's the same in the show.
What clipping are you talking about? And they likely went with electric blue because they've already had a yellow, and a red speed force manifestation. More about colors than comic integrity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq3Wmyy8pPw

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So we have a speed drug, can a spoken speed formula be far behind?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Drifter posted:

What clipping are you talking about? And they likely went with electric blue because they've already had a yellow, and a red speed force manifestation. More about colors than comic integrity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq3Wmyy8pPw

Comic integrity? What dumb assumptions are you making? Zoom was always a reskinned Reverse-Flash in the comics and lightning color never really mattered. The clipping is how Zoom is shown to almost teleport at times around Barry, which the writers seem to be counting on as viewers interpreting as incredibly fast speed when really it's a micro time skip. This isn't some deep-seated reach, or are you like some intern on the show mad that people figured the game out like they did with Wells and the voice modulator last season?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

mind the walrus posted:

Comic integrity? What dumb assumptions are you making? Zoom was always a reskinned Reverse-Flash in the comics and lightning color never really mattered. The clipping is how Zoom is shown to almost teleport at times around Barry, which the writers seem to be counting on as viewers interpreting as incredibly fast speed when really it's a micro time skip. This isn't some deep-seated reach, or are you like some intern on the show mad that people figured the game out like they did with Wells and the voice modulator last season?

:goonsay:

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

I would've never known that Zoom was teleporting from what I've seen of this season.

BobbyDrake
Mar 13, 2005

Rhyno posted:

So we have a speed drug, can a spoken speed formula be far behind?

Honestly, that's the first thing I thought of when Harry said speed formula, especially with his quick daughter Jesse,

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I like how in ten minutes they explain the entire plot and then just say gently caress IT no lead it let's go to Oliver.

REally great episode.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

So... blue lightning indicates it's "not of the speed force" how exactly? And why did the serum meant to slow him down apparently work and cause him to retreat?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

It is really, really hard to put up with this show and Arrow when they oscillate wildly between the main characters chumping for bad guys and having insane reality distorting bullshit powers.

Also why did the Wells plot exist? Did that accomplish anything? Did Garrick have some sort of union contract that demanded a certain amount of screen time?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Bad Moon posted:

Malcolm is the best just showing up out of nowhere to be a smug rear end in a top hat

Not just once!

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
Of all the awesome things in this episode, I think Oliver's pants making GBS threads expression as he slowly worked out the kid's apparent age was the best.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Great episode, Vandal Savage is fantastic. Jay Garrick sucks and should go away.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

mind the walrus posted:

Blue lightning to indicate "not of the speed force."

mind the walrus posted:

lightning color never really mattered.
What's happening here

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

kater posted:

Also why did the Wells plot exist? Did that accomplish anything? Did Garrick have some sort of union contract that demanded a certain amount of screen time?

Next week is the winter finale. They needed to keep things ticking before the next Zoom face-off.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Velocity 6 seems like it miiiiiight be kinda important to the season's plot.

Though god help them if Zoom stole it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

kater posted:

It is really, really hard to put up with this show and Arrow when they oscillate wildly between the main characters chumping for bad guys and having insane reality distorting bullshit powers.

A: to introduce Velocity 6 for later use
B: to pull Patti into the fold or at least start on it.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Great episode

but

kater posted:

it was a good thing that they spent at least some time on the episode with stuff about the shows own story in addition to setting up another show. We've already had like 1 and a half episodes each of Arrow and Flash this season setting up Legends.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

mind the walrus posted:

You're making a hell of a lot of assumptions and nothing you're saying has any basis in anything we've actually seen on the show. Assuming anything about what colors mean or what someone's powers are just because of the comics is speculative at best because they've shown and stated a willingness to diverge from the comics significantly.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

kater posted:

You mean why did they have a subplot that showed Wells working with someone from Team Flash with mutual respect and began to thaw the relationships there as well as between Jay and Wells while also introducing the obviously important future plot element Velocity 6? Probably lazy writing.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I could really get with having more of these crossovers. I think it elevates both casts quite a bit.

C'mon CW/DC, make these happen 3 times a year at least.

Maybe Legends of Tomorrow will scratch that itch. If Teams Flash and Arrow were both featured on it, I would be elated. Although that might be a few too many cast members.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Xelkelvos posted:

Wherever the Ollie's illegitimate kid thing is going, it's probably totally unnecessary and should've been replaced with more smug Malcom.

Barrowman is only allowed outside his stasis pod for 1 hour a day, or his face will melt.

My Q-Face posted:

It helps that the mother got caught in the slow mo machine and picked that moment to be exceptionally affectionate with her clumsy little son on his way back from the bathroom ... for apparently no reason.

And while it was generally a good episode, and will of course force me to watch tomorrow's Arrow, I'm not really enamored of Team Arrow, they still haven't made up for last season. Also there was some pretty terrible CG in there.

But I liked most of it anyway.

You watched the garbage first ~5 episodes of this Flash season. You'll live.

• Locked thread