Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

X-O posted:

Great episode, Vandal Savage is fantastic. Jay Garrick sucks and should go away.

He's been 100% right about everything but he has been such a whiney stick in the mud that I disagree with everything he says on principal:

"Hell yeah go fight Zoom, inject liquid cocaine into your eyeballs to make you go faster, just don't listen to this square"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Aphrodite posted:

You watched the garbage first ~5 episodes of this Flash season. You'll live.

Yeah, but I doubt it will reconvert me to Arrow again.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

zoux posted:

thaw the relationships

I'm on to you.

Episode was great. I debated waiting to watch it until tonight so I could see the whole thing in one long piece but I had no willpower and was compelled to last night. Did not disappoint. These shows are having a lot of goofy fun this season and I absolutely love it.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

My Q-Face posted:

Yeah, but I doubt it will reconvert me to Arrow again.

It might not win you back, but it might get some viewers back. Last year's crossover took a declining Arrow and gave it a ratings boost that lasted throughout the season.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Never watched Arrow but can someone explain why is son is like 11 years old?

In the recap sequence that woman was talking about a miscarriage so was that like a really old flashback because I was expecting a baby.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Bedshaped posted:

In the recap sequence that woman was talking about a miscarriage so was that like a really old flashback because I was expecting a baby.

Moira paid the woman to tell oliver that well before Oliver was stranded on the island.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

It was a flashback to like a year before Ollie went to the Island. So 10-11 years ago.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Bedshaped posted:

That flashback takes place before Oliver left on his dad's boat and ended up on the island. He was away for 5 years, and has been back for 3.5 years, so the kid would be ~10.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CW shows are so bad about spoiling episodes with preroll recaps. I purposely skip Supernatural ones because they always tip off what the eventual monster is gonna be.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Bedshaped posted:

11? He looked like he was 7-8 to me. And the flashback happened while he was dating Laurel, didn't it?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's from roughly when he was in college and dating Laurel, maybe a year or two before he went to the island, so 9 or 10 years ago.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I found it neat that Savage stole Slade's move from the comics but it was altered enough to give the proper "he's just that good" reaction instead of "why would Flash walk into a sword?"

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - I thought it was fair, as well, but was still somewhat annoyed by Flash's wild disparities of powerlevel.

Why exactly did Barry think Savage was mystical in nature when he was talking to Cisco? Was it just *plot* or did I miss something he did? He literally just threw a knife and then vanished, right?

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I hope Barrowman and the league show up like that in whatever show they want.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Drifter posted:

Why exactly did Barry think Savage was mystical in nature when he was talking to Cisco? Was it just *plot* or did I miss something he did? He literally just threw a knife and then vanished, right?

Barry could be working on the assertion that most if not all metahumans came from the accelerator accident, and this guy just came on a boat.

If you discount Not-Cyclops and his laser eyes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Digital Jedi posted:

I hope Barrowman and the league show up like that in whatever show they want.

Better avoid the 100. Not even the League could handle Genghis Clarke.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Drifter posted:

^^^ - I thought it was fair, as well, but was still somewhat annoyed by Flash's wild disparities of powerlevel.

It really felt like a plot contrivance out of thin air because Arrow is dealing in Mystical poo poo this season.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Man, that was comic booky as Hell and I love it. I hope tonight continues the trend. Love the new League entrances.

Ollie: Where should we eat? I think Tricotto's has 35% off all their pasta right now.
Merlyn: *stepping from shadows* ACTUALLY it's 40% and it doesn't start until Wednesday.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

My Q-Face posted:

It really felt like a plot contrivance out of thin air because Arrow is dealing in Mystical poo poo this season.

Yeah, it really was odd how little effort Barry put into fighting that guy before he just gives up and calls for help. Savage didn't even seem like much of a threat to him until he got the staff.

Also:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

hawkpeople are lame as gently caress and the only thing worse than 1 is 2 of them.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Axel Serenity posted:

Man, that was comic booky as Hell and I love it. I hope tonight continues the trend. Love the new League entrances.

The other half of this is Barry getting disappointed while walking inside the church: "I just like speeding into a room"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Vandal is fast enough to push Barry when he's running, and we know Barry can only actually fight at regular speed.

Going to Ollie was the smart call. If this was a self contained episode he would have tried to fight, lose, then need to technobabble up some solution.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Yet another episode I didn't like. But unlike almost this entire thread, I don't much care for the Justice League stuff.

Also was the central theme of the episode supposed to be some kind of "you can mix faith/spirituality and science" or something what with Wells proving to Jay that his whining about the Speedforce just being a gift was wrong, and Hawkgirl or whoever having to make a leap of faith to let go of the material world or whatever ? Because it came off super awkward, not that I expect these comic book shows to try and portray any kind of deeper meaning or something.

libertao
Jun 23, 2006
Doofus
Tried to binge Arrow the past couple weeks but only made it to 3/4ths of the way through Season 2 -- Thea can shoot arrows now?!

By the way, is it worth actually skipping Season 3, or is it not quite that bad?

And is there a comic book explanation for why going Mach 2 (~1,500 mph) allows Flash to go back in time? Something to do with speedforce?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's always the Speed Force.

Though in the comics Mach 2 is not nearly fast enough to time travel.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

libertao posted:

Tried to binge Arrow the past couple weeks but only made it to 3/4ths of the way through Season 2 -- Thea can shoot arrows now?!

Thea could always shoot arrows, they established her as being on the high school archery (or something like that) team back in pilot.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

It's always the Speed Force.

Though in the comics Mach 2 is not nearly fast enough to time travel.

Nor in real life.

mythicknight posted:

drat that staff has naquada

twistedmentat posted:

Michael Shanks was the superior Carter Hall.

Indeed. :smugjones:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Not to spoil it, but as far as you are you can make an educated guess where she gets her further fighting training, given you know they identity of her father and you know from last nights episode she knows who he is.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Chubby Michael Shanks was incredibly bad.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

libertao posted:

By the way, is it worth actually skipping Season 3, or is it not quite that bad?

And is there a comic book explanation for why going Mach 2 (~1,500 mph) allows Flash to go back in time? Something to do with speedforce?

Season 3 Arrow was below par by it's own standards, but not as bad as people make out (as you probably know most Goons have a binary scale of "awesome" and "dog poo poo").
As with any TV show I really think you should watch it and form your own opinions - if you find yourself not liking an episode and you really think that time is best spent doing something else, read the Wikipedia episode summary and watch the next one. Quality has picked up again for this season.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is reincarnated Egyptian priests one of the many, many official comics origins for the Hawkpeoples?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Chubby Michael Shanks was incredibly bad.

Ben Browder. Shanks hasn't been on this show, but I agree that that episode was just kinda sad.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

libertao posted:

*scrubbed* I thought you'd stopped so I was free with spoilers, not still working through it. Sorry.

"We know the Flash? Did I know we knew the Flash?" I like to think that came from someone in the writers' room trying to get the plot straight.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 2, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

zoux posted:

Is reincarnated Egyptian priests one of the many, many official comics origins for the Hawkpeoples?

I think it's been the only one up until the past few years. They were also thanagarian, like the alien hawkpeople in Flash Gordon, living on a different planet.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

libertao posted:

It's really not that bad and everyone is being a giant baby about it. Like most things, bingeing it makes it better.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

zoux posted:

At least in the cartoon it is, there Hawkgirl got reincarnated on Thanagar and Hawkman was reincarnating as a human. Though it's up to debate whether it's reincarnation or Hawkman just accidentally accessed a broken Thanagarian data disk that overwrote his brain with "memories of a past life".

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Drifter posted:

I think it's been the only one up until the past few years. They were also thanagarian, like the alien hawkpeople in Flash Gordon, living on a different planet.

In the Justice League cartoons it was both at the same time :)

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Warmachine posted:

Ben Browder. Shanks hasn't been on this show, but I agree that that episode was just kinda sad.

Pretty sure he was talking about Shanks as hawkman on smallville, although that was awesome, not sad.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

Pretty sure he was talking about Shanks as hawkman on smallville, although that was awesome, not sad.

Oh. That's what I get for not watching Smallville I guess.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Warmachine posted:

Oh. That's what I get for not watching Smallville I guess.

He was channeling christian bale's batman voice. The last 3, maybe 4 seasons of smallville were actually pretty good, finale notwithstanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

So Savage kills Olivers son tonight and hes the one in the grave from the first Arrow episode right? Its been almost 6 months now so it would fit.

• Locked thread