Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Accidentally had the Church estate gain too much influence and had to take the decision to break their control which cost me -3 stability and -100 church power. Good thing the Coptic church has no real religious mechanics!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

PittTheElder posted:

The Sabaton pack is nice, but god drat is it ever jarring to switch between it and the normal music selection.

I love me some Sabaton but I'm kinda regretting getting the DLC really. It's literally just tracks from Art of War (at least, that's all I've heard so far). It would be different if maybe they were instrumental versions or special versions specifically for EU4, but as it is it's kinda meh to me. I could just turn off the EU4 music and keep Spotify running instead.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

TTBF posted:

There's a setting in options where you can change how often those fantasy elements occur.

Yes, I have it set to the max that it can go, and it's still just Vinland with occasional chinese and hindu enclaves, and occasionally the mesoamerican empires.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Can mods add new random new world tiles/regions without disabling ironman?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Castille gets the Iberian wedding at 1455 and I swear. 5 years later, Aragon and Naples are free.

Thanks Castille you're the best.

EDIT: This Milan run is going great expansionwise, but I've been hit by 4 -stab events already and another -1 stab from going Ambrosian Republic. I've boosted stab twice from pope and I'm still at -2

EDIT2: Make that 5 -1 stab events. Sitting here at -3 stab woop.

EDIT3: :unsmith: Got an event to trade 1 stab for 20 RT and since I was at -3 already it was free.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Dec 2, 2015

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Okay I messed up my Prester John run so I need some tips. What's the best way to set up trade as Ethiopia? I snaked my way to Alexandria but I had half of the trade node split between me and the Ottomans and splitting the take gave me less dukes than just leaving my trade port in Ethiopia. If I snagged Cape should I be clearing out all of Zanzibar so I can properly route everything there instead?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Eej posted:

Okay I messed up my Prester John run so I need some tips. What's the best way to set up trade as Ethiopia? I snaked my way to Alexandria but I had half of the trade node split between me and the Ottomans and splitting the take gave me less dukes than just leaving my trade port in Ethiopia. If I snagged Cape should I be clearing out all of Zanzibar so I can properly route everything there instead?

The important part is monopolizing the provinces in the Alexandria node before the Ottomans get there. It should take the Ottomans at least three wars to get there, and you should jump on the Mamluks each time they go to war. Once you have Alexandria under your control, you can take control of Zanzibar and Hormuz and steer them to Alexandria. You definitely don't want Ethiopia's node as your primary trade node, you're not going to do well there. You won't need a merchant steering there either, since it can only travel one way, and you will own every single province in it.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

That's really loving annoying. I'm playing on Ironman but my game crashed about 35 years in and my save disappeared?

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Roadie posted:

Can mods add new random new world tiles/regions without disabling ironman?

No.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
You prooobably shouldn't be able to get events forcibly assigning an estate to a colony-in-progress... First run at ideas guy hosed because I got it literally 2 months into colonising my first province, instantly giving the nobility 85% influence, 4% disaster gain per month, and no way to revoke the province from them because the UI isn't available for it until it's a fully-fledged province :(

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Zeron posted:

I really wish a dev would take some time to sit down and actually make the default message settings not absolute crap. It should not be a complete surprise to me to look down and notice that I've somehow gained a half a dozen provinces because of the Ming exploding.

Playing a game as the Manchu, it's real fun I like most of the new features a lot...Horde Unity seems ridiculously hard to manage once you get to a decent size. It goes down ridiculously fast, and if it drops down low enough it's a very hard death spiral to escape because the only way to escape is to either get lucky with events or conquer territory to raze...except you have no manpower due to constantly fighting rebels and ugh.

I am on my second Nogai game now and don't really have problems with unity, I even got rid of the tribes estate around 1500 and I am fine. Just play really really aggressive, always take as many provinces from a peace deal as you can, raze them all, then return them. Make sure to not pick the same "raze" provinces twice because there's a 15 years or so cooldown on it. It is really fun to just burn everything to the ground.

For hordes the estates seem really bad, I can't keep their loyalty high enough and they get too much influence making them seize the country, their net gain is almost nothing given you lose base manpower due to low autonomy. The AI hordes utterly fail at managing them and their horde unity as well, I've not seen any horde survive the first 30 years and not all of that was my doing. In my first game where I went for Rags and Riches I realized that removing all tribes estates is a net gain, you have a lot more income to afford more mercs and infantry to bully everyone around you. Not to mention you can spawn rebels at will while you're in the process of dismantling them (I was in a war against the Uzbek when the Ottos DoW'd me and I cost them 35k manpower by removing estates to spawn rebels under their armies path).

Basically the estate system seems to be like the parliament system, a very nice idea with really lovely balancing once you get above 20 provinces. But then who cares when you can just raze everything. (Where's the achievement to raze Rome?)

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I really like the new changes so far. The favors mechanic is excellent in stopping people calling you into every stupid war they get in, and makes maintaining alliances pretty meaningful, sucks not being able to immediately call Austria/Poland/whoever into your first war unless you promise them spoils, but it makes sense, and I can see it forcing you to make better use of more, smaller allies (faster favors gain, less painful to give them a province or two) rather than "go for alliance with the biggest power you can", and also gives you reason to use the "renounce claims in <Ally>" and similar options in peace deals to gain more favors with your buddies.

Didn't really bother with Estates yet, I guess you can micromanage them to get great bonuses, but just the every-20-years actions give you some nice extra perks (the +50/100 monarch points especially look pretty useful if you need to grab a tech / idea / core a province ASAP)

Don't know about hordes because I finally started an Ironman game with France where everything went fine and I'm singlehandedly steamrolling everyone around me :getin:

A little bug that bothers me a lot, don't know if anybody else had it: sometimes armies will get stuck in a loop where two stacks endlessly swap places in two adjacent provinces instead of attacking or sieging stuff, so far it hosed me over once (two 20k stacks from my ally Hungary were doing this little dance while Burgundy was sieging Paris 2 provinces over :argh: ) and helped me once (two Savoyard armies doing the same while I was sieging Savoy)

now, question time : it's 1470 and I annihilated Provence, grabbed Avignon from the Pope and kicked England out so I'm pretty well on my way to greatness, I also got an event that granted me claims to all of Naples, sadly I had just signed a peace with Aragon and had Naples released so I have a truce with them that expires in 1478, but the claims should last until 1483. Don't know if I'll manage to grab all that juicy land in only one war though :smith:

I had a coalition form against me obviously, AE is a real pain in the beginning, but with the help of Austria and Hungary I've beaten the crap out of Burgundy, England and a bunch of HRE / Italian minors, so the coalition dissolved. It will reform as soon as I grab as much as a single province from anybody around but I feel confident I can take them on again, and I just got started on influence ideas that should help a lot with AE (next up, quantity :getin: and then exploration to colonize the random new world, having the french assimilation idea + new assimilation policy from Cossacks should mean ultra-fast colonies, at least I hope so).

One thing - apparently everybody makes vassals all the time, but I can't seem for the life of me to get any. Force vassalizing is usually impossible to do unless it's a one-two province minor, and even then it incurs almost as much AE as straight up annexing, and diplo vassalizing is brutally difficult unless it's an OPM - and even then there's the relation slot occupied for 10 years, useless alliance, diplomat tied up on improving relations to 190, etc etc which sucks. I'd always rather annex, am I missing something here?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The most reliable method is to annex a bunch of provinces and then release a nation as a vassal but this requires you to know what that releasable nation's cores are and to make sure you don't already own those cores beforehand (or you can go ahead anyway if you're okay with it). They don't hate you unlike force vassalization and it's way easier than diplo.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

Kagon posted:

Had a really good game going as a custom nation in Central America until my monarch died. I was wondering why I had a regency council until I found out my heir mysteriously never aged past 0, and I'm apparently going to have this regency for the next 22 years for some reason. Heir's still not aging, so I uh, guess I'm done here.

Pfft, only 22 years.

quote:

One thing - apparently everybody makes vassals all the time, but I can't seem for the life of me to get any. Force vassalizing is usually impossible to do unless it's a one-two province minor, and even then it incurs almost as much AE as straight up annexing, and diplo vassalizing is brutally difficult unless it's an OPM - and even then there's the relation slot occupied for 10 years, useless alliance, diplomat tied up on improving relations to 190, etc etc which sucks. I'd always rather annex, am I missing something here?

There are some advantages to force vassalizing: you're using comparatively less useful dip points to expand instead of admin, you can feed them their claims/cores to make them larger, and they still have an army that can eat casualties/attrition for you.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I wish there was more options for the fantasy new world tiles, like the ability to force certain ones to spawn/stop certain others from spawning.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Yes, I have it set to the max that it can go, and it's still just Vinland with occasional chinese and hindu enclaves, and occasionally the mesoamerican empires.
It's pretty easy to check what the possible fantasy elements are - just look for fantasy = yes in the RNWScenarios.txt file. The ones tagged as such are (spoilers!)

scenario_high_american_empire_nahuatl
scenario_high_american_empire_inti
scenario_high_american_empire_maya
scenario_high_american_republic (This one's an Iroquois Totemist republic)
scenario_lost_balkans (!!) Lost Serbia and Lost Bosnia - Serbian culture, Animist, with High American tech but Eastern graphics
scenario_vinland Norwegian Norse rulers of Animist land, if I'm reading this correctly.
scenario_secret_denmark A Zoroastrian Danish Oligarchic Republic.
scenario_order_st_joseph Reformed English monastic order.
scenario_chinese_colony
scenario_lemuria (The Hindu enclave)
scenario_heyerdahl_was_right Animist Egyptians
scenario_lost_templar_fleet French...Tengri? There's a note about "Cult of Baphomet"
scenario_columbus_was_right_1
scenario_columbus_was_right_2
scenario_columbus_was_right_3 More India, looks like
scenario_lost_tribe A tribal kingdom of Syrian jews.

Odd, though. The columbus was right scenarios have a fantastically higher 'chance' set than all the others. Not sure what to make of that.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I am sad though, that there's no chance of lost Celts, Carthaginians, Romans or basques included.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
It'd be pretty swank if there was a possibility of replacing whatever exists in Liqian with an Italian (or Greek) state of lost soldiers.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Dec 2, 2015

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I've conquered all the provinces but the game isn't recognizing my conuest of Malay Peninsula and Borneo for the Form Malaya.

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Dec 2, 2015

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
How much of the RNW changes are patches to the existing DLC and how much is in the Cossacks?

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Enjoy posted:

How much of the RNW changes are patches to the existing DLC and how much is in the Cossacks?

IIRC it's all Conquest of Paradise stuff.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Tendronai posted:

Pfft, only 22 years.

Well I take back my complaint then. I think I may try again and just go republic this time, and if I have any similar issues wait for a patch.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

This game, holy poo poo!

Terrain mode:

Vichan fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Dec 2, 2015

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Still can't tab out on a Mac. :downsbravo:

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I'm getting a CTD on 1 Sept 1624 every single time and I have no idea why :( happens with and without mods (in Ironman so even with mods the checksum's unchanged anyway). Anyone else gotten that far in and had any issues? I *think* an Ironman autosave tries to go off on that date, but not certain. (The previous savedate was certainly at 1 June before the first CTD, but I've manually saved on 1 July and played from there and still crashes on 1 Sept, even though that's only 2 months later.)

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Vichan posted:

This game, holy poo poo!

Terrain mode:

Whoa, I so rarely use terrain mode that I never thought to switch over and check how the RNW continents look in it. drat nice, at least from someone with only a layman's knowledge of how meteorology would work in those worlds.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Vichan posted:

This game, holy poo poo!

See, this is why we need seeds.

Allyn posted:

I'm getting a CTD on 1 Sept 1624 every single time and I have no idea why :( happens with and without mods (in Ironman so even with mods the checksum's unchanged anyway). Anyone else gotten that far in and had any issues? I *think* an Ironman autosave tries to go off on that date, but not certain. (The previous savedate was certainly at 1 June before the first CTD, but I've manually saved on 1 July and played from there and still crashes on 1 Sept, even though that's only 2 months later.)

Nah, I could only get to 1502 before the CTDs forced me to quit :v:. Fix seems to be a clean reinstall, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Nice to see this problem back again, I haven't seen it around since Rome. Makes me all nostalgic. :shepicide:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Tahirovic posted:

Basically the estate system seems to be like the parliament system, a very nice idea with really lovely balancing once you get above 20 provinces. But then who cares when you can just raze everything. (Where's the achievement to raze Rome?)

They have bonuses that more than make up for the autonomy on each province, just only in one area, so you have to put them all on the right provinces. I haven't tried a horde yet though so maybe the tribes are just bad. I don't think it really gets harder when you get bigger though; the only annoying part is that you inherit estates in conquered land, so sometimes you find you suddenly jumped up an estate's influence past 80% because the AI stuck 10 noble provinces in a cluster like an rear end in a top hat.

It definitely needs some more balancing but the more I play with the estate system the more I like it, it simulates internal scheming and instability really well for the kind of game EU4 is.

Another complaint with the patch though (aside from the bugs, which are many, but that was expected), the new development map seems the better part of useless. Why can they not give it more than 4 colours?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

So Theodoro has it's own unit sets now. What a world.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
I don't know what they did, but EU4 runs a lot more smoothly on my old computer now. Speed 5 is actually pretty fast now, and I also haven't yet seen any of the minor graphical glitches that usually crop up.

Thanks, Paradox, for throwing a bone to those of us with inferior hardware.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Autonomous Monster posted:

See, this is why we need seeds.

Nah, I could only get to 1502 before the CTDs forced me to quit :v:. Fix seems to be a clean reinstall, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Nice to see this problem back again, I haven't seen it around since Rome. Makes me all nostalgic. :shepicide:

Followed all that advice and nope, it still dies. Think this save might be completely dead :(

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

GreyPowerVan posted:

That's really loving annoying. I'm playing on Ironman but my game crashed about 35 years in and my save disappeared?

Same thing happened to me. Holding off on ironman till there's a patch or solution.

Vicar
Oct 20, 2007

TorakFade posted:

A little bug that bothers me a lot, don't know if anybody else had it: sometimes armies will get stuck in a loop where two stacks endlessly swap places in two adjacent provinces instead of attacking or sieging stuff, so far it hosed me over once (two 20k stacks from my ally Hungary were doing this little dance while Burgundy was sieging Paris 2 provinces over :argh: ) and helped me once (two Savoyard armies doing the same while I was sieging

I've had this happen as well, pretty annoying. Hopefully it'll be fixed soon as it can be pretty devastating when it happens to your ally's armies

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

It is pretty much a rule that new expansion releases are going to have completely gamebreaking bugs on release. Usually not as big as a complete loss of a save file, but still.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Why isn't this good enough to form Malaya? http://imgur.com/Bucjc0C

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
It looks like you don't own Sumatra or enough of the Malay Peninsula (which realistically extends a lot farther up, not sure how far in EU4 terms though) so neither of the three conditions are met.

Edit: Palawan! You're missing Palawan.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Dec 2, 2015

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Baron Porkface posted:

You need the uncolonised bits in your chosen area as well.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Oh my. You guys should really check out the possible tradegoods on the big strip RNW. There is a 10-20% chance of gold on every province that borders a mountain wasteland for me. That is a lotta fucken gold.

e; and wow, none of the trade there goes back to Europe. It all goes to China.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 2, 2015

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Baron Porkface posted:

EDIT: I was wrong. Are you lacking cores on any of the needed provinces, by chance?

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Another Person posted:

Oh my. You guys should really check out the possible tradegoods on the big strip RNW. There is a 10-20% chance of gold on every province that borders a mountain wasteland for me. That is a lotta fucken gold.

I really like the setups that pose the what-if of "What if the new world was really as lucrative as Europeans thought / didn't exist and lead straight to India / second India exists in the middle of the Atlantic halfway to first India". They're really fun to play.

And now, a non-sequitur bug report walkthrough!
  • Be Yingzhou.
  • Find that you can culture-convert all of your original provinces to "noculture".
  • Find that you can see all land provinces in your trade node, even ones that are a dozen sea tiles away.
  • Find that you cannot see the sea provinces between your home islands and the other land provinces you can see.
  • Find that you randomly lose TI over parts of Malaysia in 1494.
  • Find that it's not reciprocal.
  • Find that merchant guilds' demands for provinces are not met by any of your starting provinces.
  • Find that the sea zones are large enough that each one needs to be explored multiple times as you colonize your way through them.

All in all, though, I like it. It's just got some bugs.

• Locked thread