Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
You guys forgot about GM Jail in FFXI. It was the Yaghuto(probably wrong spelling) grotto tile set. And you would get teleported there if you were doing something wrong like mpking people or saying bad things.

I got sent to GM jail twice. Once for mouthing off to someone and another time fighting pots on top of bird camps in sky with my BST. The pots would do an aoe to anyone nearby and it would hurt/kill them.

I also woudn't say hitting cap was hard more so you just needed lots of time on your hands. I was able to get Brd/Pld/Bst to 75 before I quit right before ToA came out. And that was solo bst getting 1k-2k exp/hr at 30k till next level for the 70+, not counting when I would die sometimes and lose exp. Sadly I never got attuned to SEA because I had a work schedule that would change all the time and that level synced bull poo poo was awful and you kind of needed a static for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Yeah exp just took loving forever to get in ffxi

it's way way way easier now which lets you access stuff like new jobs and story content way faster, and all the trusts you can get help a lot too

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Holyshoot posted:

You guys forgot about GM Jail in FFXI. It was the Yaghuto(probably wrong spelling) grotto tile set. And you would get teleported there if you were doing something wrong like mpking people or saying bad things.

I got sent to GM jail twice. Once for mouthing off to someone and another time fighting pots on top of bird camps in sky with my BST. The pots would do an aoe to anyone nearby and it would hurt/kill them.

I also woudn't say hitting cap was hard more so you just needed lots of time on your hands. I was able to get Brd/Pld/Bst to 75 before I quit right before ToA came out. And that was solo bst getting 1k-2k exp/hr at 30k till next level for the 70+, not counting when I would die sometimes and lose exp. Sadly I never got attuned to SEA because I had a work schedule that would change all the time and that level synced bull poo poo was awful and you kind of needed a static for it.

Abyssea was what killed that game for me. It was a real kick in the face, the devs pretty much went "welp what's the most boring stupid way we can just dump shitloads of XP on players?"

They made the 75-99 grind take less than the 1-75 grind overall by far, but that 75-99 grind was about a thousand times more mindless and stupid. IIRC there was a bunch of dumb item-driven stuff (Atma maybe?) that made it even more convoluted and annoying somehow.

Like the standard Dunes/Qufim grinding was equally mindless and boring but for some reason Abyssea seemed super lazy and shoehorned in

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Abyssea was what killed that game for me. It was a real kick in the face, the devs pretty much went "welp what's the most boring stupid way we can just dump shitloads of XP on players?"

They made the 75-99 grind take less than the 1-75 grind overall by far, but that 75-99 grind was about a thousand times more mindless and stupid. IIRC there was a bunch of dumb item-driven stuff (Atma maybe?) that made it even more convoluted and annoying somehow.

Yea atma is dumb but it's probably the way they had to do it because of what they had to work with. Giving temporary zone super buffs and hidden buffs to see specific monsters.

I think abysea coming sooner would have been better for the game. Leveling was awful in that game and I bet turned more people away then it should have. Granted once they hit cap then they had to learn how to use gear swapper or be useless on some jobs. But that's another story.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

When I played and got to 99 earlier this year I pretty much just meandered around going to a bunch of places i hadn't seen to grind on enemies, and i enjoyed just exploring and seeing all the places I never had the chance to see and fighting a bunch of neat enemies instead of just slapping crabs in tree

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Another harsh reality for me was the fact that the first (and only) 3 Dynamis runs I ever did averaged 5-10 FPS the entire time and were so laggy I still don't know if I contributed even in the slightest

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Another harsh reality for me was the fact that the first (and only) 3 Dynamis runs I ever did averaged 5-10 FPS the entire time and were so laggy I still don't know if I contributed even in the slightest

You really really really didn't miss out on any fun.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv EDIT: nice to meet you :)

Die Sexmonster! fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 2, 2015

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

i know people that fell asleep for hours at a time during dynamis runs

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

I fell asleep at Kirin.

Sylvyfish
Feb 16, 2012

We can't get hung up on real world morality.
Shamelessly dropping a recruitment code: F7E68C9Z

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
Is it just me or is the EXDR queue just hosed. I eventually just had to get a full 4 man group because it would never queue with 1, 2, or 3 man even if the 1 was a tank, the 2 were a healer and a tank, or the 3 were a healer, a tank, and a dps.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

goldjas posted:

Is it just me or is the EXDR queue just hosed. I eventually just had to get a full 4 man group because it would never queue with 1, 2, or 3 man even if the 1 was a tank, the 2 were a healer and a tank, or the 3 were a healer, a tank, and a dps.

i was actually able to find groups for 50DR, 60DR, and levelling DR within 10 min as a dps tonight

first time in forever

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

goldjas posted:

Is it just me or is Duty Finder just hosed.

Yes.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The worst part when I did Dynamis was that it was right before people caught on to using voice coms. Wrangling all those people with their spam chat macros for every ability in that awful text box was rough.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon
Macroing all of your abilitys together with anime quotes was the best bit of 11.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

ultimateboostmacro.jpg

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Just a random thought that occurred to me for the crazies that do Wolf's Den PvP. To be truly optimal, would it be the case that you'd want to meld a crapton of Int/Mind Vs into the PvP gear in order to take full advantage of having access to both healing and damaging spells?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
There's like three people globally who do Wolves Den unless something changed

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Like the standard Dunes/Qufim grinding was equally mindless and boring but for some reason Abyssea seemed super lazy and shoehorned in

Abyssea was super great for the year it was fresh for exactly the same reason the game crashed the second it tried to move past it - it was a total Hail Mary trying to keep people playing because of XIV1.0's crash. They needed reliable MMO income while they got their poo poo together for 2.0 and to desperately keep all the FFXI players who were planning to stop playing and move to the new FF mmo which didn't, at the moment, function.

So it was 3 updates, split over a year, giving players everything they could possibly think of. New level caps! New ways to level! (it's boring now but when we were exploring the Abyssea zones and still giddy over cap raises 18 people in a leveling alliance tended to be lively and hilarious), Atma buffs! Atmas were totally different - they were permanent buff effects (in Abyssea only) you could earn by killing bosses in a specific way, and they were nuts: like +50 to primary stats, +50% crit rate/crit damage, always on permanent reraise, stuff like that. New gear sets for all classes and the gear was vastly more powerful than everything else. It invalidated all the content before, you say? No one cared at the time. We were rampaging hell gods of destruction carving our way through new unexplored lands.

The key thing for me was that the massive boosts to the power curve was that it let you do basically everything in the game with a party of 6 or smaller. With FFXI being a much quiet, older game, it was a hell of a lot easier to grab 4-6 friends and then do anything you want then it was to try and shout-fill an alliance of 18 for FFXI's versions of raids. My small group had a loving blast for that year as mechanics were figured out and we triumphed over the 30+ major bosses they added (including Shinryu, which XIV hasn't gotten around to yet) and loaded up on amazing new gear for our characters.

Then they tried to do new stuff after Abyssea which wasn't so generous with power and loot and party requirements, and everyone hated it. Maybe the game bounced back but I was gone by then.

It was a hell of a year though. My best time playing the game since the early ToAU expansions. A lot of really cool monster designs, too; I am still waiting patiently for them to bring Caturae models into XIV when they decide to pull resources from FFXI to fill dungeons.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Meiteron posted:

Abyssea was super great for the year it was fresh for exactly the same reason the game crashed the second it tried to move past it - it was a total Hail Mary trying to keep people playing because of XIV1.0's crash. They needed reliable MMO income while they got their poo poo together for 2.0 and to desperately keep all the FFXI players who were planning to stop playing and move to the new FF mmo which didn't, at the moment, function.

The first two abyssea add-ons were released before FFXIV 1.0, and S-E sure as gently caress didn't know their game was rear end until it was retail released.

The real headscratcher was why they decided to create Abyssea instead of finishing the WotG missions first, but I guess it ended up being easier to make Abyssea on the lowered crew they had thanks to FFXIV.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Belzac posted:

The difference is I have the sense to click ignore user.

What kind of person uses ignore? Like seriously though, I have never ignored a single person on the forums and my life is no worse for it.

Plus, if you ignore people, you might miss out on the good stuff.

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer
I use ignore sometimes, solely based on some people's borderline NSFW avs

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

lol look at this person not using SALR

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
this was probably my favorite climax to any of the beast tribe quests. make the jokes you want

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Eight-Six posted:

The first two abyssea add-ons were released before FFXIV 1.0, and S-E sure as gently caress didn't know their game was rear end until it was retail released.

Considering how they tried to keep their mess in the closet before it all bursted out by begging reviewers to give them a few days, I'm pretty sure they knew XIV 1.0 was garbage before retail

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
If you ignore posters in this thread you'll miss moments like when the op of the tera thread revealed he was a pedophile. Do you really want to be missing moments?

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

ArtIsResistance posted:

If you ignore posters in this thread you'll miss moments like when the op of the tera thread revealed he was a pedophile. Do you really want to be missing moments?

Other people will generally comment if something is outrageous and not just annoying. And people will quote them half the time even if they are.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
People always quote the good or really bad posts unfortunately, so ignore list doesn't help as much as I'd like

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Velthice posted:

this was probably my favorite climax to any of the beast tribe quests. make the jokes you want

I won't make a joke. I will, however, make you feel bad for spoiling it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ArtIsResistance posted:

:stare: What did he say?

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

ArtIsResistance posted:

Considering the KaneTW hater crew brings it up weekly in every MMO thread, it's pretty impossible to miss.

E:

Zaphod42 posted:

Please just stick to reminiscing about FFXI

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

I think it was something to the effect of "these small impish characters designed to look like little girls aren't little girls, you weirdos, so it's totally okay to dress them in s&m gear".

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

I think it was something to the effect of "these small impish characters designed to look like little girls aren't little girls, you weirdos, so it's totally okay to dress them in s&m gear".

yeaaaaaah that's pretty drat creepy.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008
SIIIIIGH

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
this will end well

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

So why does everybody poo poo on void ark? Is it just super easy and there's no higher difficulty for it?

Sounds like some things have multiple difficulties and others don't? I gotta do some research on the end-game here.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

It has some bosses with mechanics that don't broadcast clearly with giant glowing red shapes so bad players die horribly.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

24man content is part of the cycle for completely braindead casual play, which is every odd-numbered patch (x.1, x.3, etc)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The things you have to do in Void Ark are insanely easy on an individual level. The problem, like all the other casual raids, is that the challenge lies in depending on 23 other players of wildly varying levels of competence to not gently caress up.

• Locked thread