Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I vote crapcar, but also that craplane should be pooplane instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Ensign Expendable posted:

I vote crapcar, but also that craplane should be pooplane instead.

Duly noted.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

lilljonas posted:

Polling is done by quoting this and bolding one, or adding a new type if you feel I missed something. One vote per poster.

- Miniatures/diorama

- Crapcar

- Pooplane

- Shitship

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

lilljonas posted:

- Miniatures/diorama

- Crapcar

- Pooplane

- Shitship

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Since I never finished the Hi-Mock, and I'm sort of itching to get on to my next ship, I'm not going to vote for the next crap-kit since I don't think I'll be participating, other than to maybe finish the Hi-Mock at some point. Looking forward to seeing what everyone else comes up with in crap/poo though.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

lilljonas posted:

Polling is done by quoting this and bolding one, or adding a new type if you feel I missed something. One vote per poster.

- Miniatures/diorama

- Crapcar

- Pooplane

- Shitship

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Poo plane

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

lilljonas posted:

- Miniatures/diorama

- Crapcar

- Pooplane

- Shitship

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Whoops I'm illiterate, let me vote properly

lilljonas posted:

- Miniatures/diorama

- Crapcar

- Pooplane

- Shitship

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

lilljonas posted:

- Miniatures/diorama

- Crapcar

- Pooplane

- Shitship

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

lilljonas posted:

- Miniatures/diorama

- Crapcar

- Pooplane

- Shitship

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Don't you mean Diarrhama

Edit: this is not a vote

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

lilljonas posted:

- Miniatures/diorama

- Crapcar

- Pooplane

- Shitship

Sounds good?

Although I'd be more tempted to pick say 3 different kits in the same theme and have people choose one of them(or more if they so desire)

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Ensign Expendable posted:

Whoops I'm illiterate, let me vote properly
That makes 2 of us. Let's form a club.

lilljonas posted:

- Miniatures/diorama

- Crapcar

- Pooplane

- Shitship

Sounds good?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

lilljonas posted:

- Miniatures/diorama

- Crapcar

- Pooplane

- Shitship

Sounds good?

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
I vote crapcar. The Revell "import tuner" kits would work well

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

lilljonas posted:

- Miniatures/diorama

- Crapcar

- Pooplane

- Shitship

Sounds good?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

secretly a baby posted:

Don't you mean Diarrhama

We do it for the poop jokes - Scale modeling thread

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

lilljonas posted:

How about this: a poll for type of kit. It's open until midnight GMT on Sunday. On Monday morning, I will randomly draw one of the people that voted for the winning type. That person has one week to choose a kit, with the caveat that it must be generally available and under 20 buck on Amazon ("The Spirit of Crapkit"). Rest of the thread can give tips, but the drawn poster get's to decide.

- Miniatures/diorama

- Crapcar

- Pooplane

- Shitship

Sounds good?

Don't ask me to pick one, though

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My wife decided she now likes my parade of buildings so I added some more and we took a lovely panorama.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

My wife decided she now likes my parade of buildings so I added some more and we took a lovely panorama.

Nice. Put a white sheet underneath and some cotton on top, and you have a seasonal Christmas decoration. :)

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

lilljonas posted:

- Miniatures/diorama

- Crapcar

- Pooplane

- Shitship

First time posting in this thread, but I'd like to get in on this. Don't select me for picking though please!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Brovine posted:

First time posting in this thread, but I'd like to get in on this. Don't select me for picking though please!

I'll try to keep track of the posters that opted out of choosing. Looks like it's a pretty even race between crapcar and pooplane this far!

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

lilljonas posted:

- Miniatures/diorama

- Crapcar

- Pooplane

- Shitship

Sounds good?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Oh poo poo, I missed that. Count me out of picking too - I have little experience outside of wargaming stuff.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

lilljonas posted:

- Miniatures/diorama

- Crapcar

- Pooplane

- Shitship

Sounds good?
Happy to pick a lovely kit for us all.

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012

lilljonas posted:

- Miniatures/diorama

- Crapcar :rice:

- Pooplane

- Shitship

My HiMock is finished up and I'm just waiting for the varnish to dry before I get some pictures. So hopefully tomorrow, only a few days late.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Well I have finally finished my Hi-Mock. I even made the goofy backstory for it below

In 1942 there was growing concern about the ability of Japanese armor to counter American armor in a defensive situation. While the island nature of the Pacific Theater made tanks less useful in the minds of the IJA brass, it was decided that a more suitable antitank weapon be developed. After several prototypes were developed, in late 1943 production was started on the Type 3 Aru-Ni. (Following Imperial Tank naming conventions: Type 3= accepted for use in 1943, Aru= short for Aruku: to walk, Ni= 4th iteration) The Aru-Ni was a single man, armored walker armed with two Type 99, 88mm antiaircraft cannons specifically modified as antitank cannons for the Aru-Ni, a coaxial Type 96 25mm cannon, and a wrist mounted flame thrower on the other arm. The Type 99 cannons were equipped with an auto-loading mechanism and special drum magazines that allowed each gun to carry 6 rounds of APHE ammo. The coaxial 25mm cannon was a modified Type 96 anti-aircraft cannon armed with incendiary tracers. As the guns were not easily aim able from the head mounted view port, the main purpose of the Type 96 was to sight the main guns with tracer fire, and as such, the depression angle of the gun was adjustable in relation to the cannons.

The walker configuration was seen as a more useful design for island fighting, but the design team soon ran into issues of weight. As such, in order to save on weight, the armor thickness was thinner than originally specified. It was also given an outer skin of duralumin as a weight saving measure, as well as an anti-rust measure, though the need for this alloy for the aircraft manufacture eventually ended up causing the later models of the Aru-Ni to forgo this added armor. The back mounted power pack also suffered from the fuel tank placement, as the two large tanks were thinly armored.

In combat, the Aru-Ni fared better than the contemporary IJA tanks of the time, and the 88mm guns were able to penetrate the Sherman's armor with more reliability, though frontally the armor would still probe troublesome if on an angle. The high profile, tracer aimed main guns, and low speeds proved costly for the Aru-Ni though, and even a small American force armed with Anti tank weaponry, or more than one tank, could quickly overwhelm the Aru-Ni. The complicated nature of the engine, and systems also proved to be difficult to maintain in an island environment, and breakdowns and weapon jams were common.

(forgive my poo poo photography skills)

Disclaimer: It was a bit too humid out today when I put the clear coat on. I will have to spray it again when it gets better. Thankfully it didn't get too cloudy, but there is a bit of fog on the exhaust stacks.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
That's incredible, great job!

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
Hello scale modelling thread! I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask (if there's somewhere better please tell me and I'll take my question there buuuut... my father has always been a bit of a model kit aficionado, always buying kits for my brothers and I for Christmas when we were young and enthusiastically "helping" us assemble them (basically doing it himself hahaha), but never buying them for himself - I suspect he felt like it was a childish use of money just buying them for himself.
This inspired me to buy him this diorama sort of kit of the dambusters plane flying over the dam for Christmas last year. It was a big hit, so this year I was thinking about buying him another diorama sort of kit. My question is, should I just try and find another diorama from Airfix? Do other companies do it better?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

willus posted:

My question is, should I just try and find another diorama from Airfix? Do other companies do it better?

I can't actually think of another company that does it at all.
http://www.airfix.com/us-en/shop/dioramas-buildings/d-day-the-air-assault-gift-set-1-72.html looks OK to me, I think the typhoon is a good kit.

edit: hey, I didn't do this yet!

lilljonas posted:

- Miniatures/diorama

- Crapcar

- Pooplane

- Shitship

Unkempt fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 3, 2015

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

willus posted:

diorama sets

Italeri does some diorama sets in 1/72. Things like D-Day, Battle of the Bulge, Berlin, Kursk etc.
In a set you get some tanks or other vehicles, figures, ruined buildings/bunkers and other stuff like barbed wire etc

http://www.italeri.com/categoria.asp?idSottocategoria=29

I believe revell does some as well but I couldnt find it online quickly.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I bought the Italeri Battle of Kursk set a few years ago. The actual diorama part was pretty flimsy, but detailed. The kits that came with it were pretty nice. I'd recommend it.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

lilljonas posted:

- Miniatures/diorama

- Crapcar

- Pooplane

- Shitship

:colbert:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

This came out looking great.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I am really happy with how the engine and gun conversions came out. Took quite a bit of slicing and dicing, and I wasn't sure if it would actually make a believable gun/engine. Originally I was going to have the gun mounted to the forearm piece, but that looked really dumb. I am happy with where I placed it instead.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

secretly a baby posted:

Don't you mean Diarrhama

Miniturds/Diarrhama

:colbert:

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
Thanks for the advice on companies earlier today guys! I'll try and remember to let you know what I end up buying and how well it goes down. I can also post a picture of the dambusters diorama on the weekend, if people are curious as to what the kit ends up looking like?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

willus posted:

Hello scale modelling thread! I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask (if there's somewhere better please tell me and I'll take my question there buuuut... my father has always been a bit of a model kit aficionado, always buying kits for my brothers and I for Christmas when we were young and enthusiastically "helping" us assemble them (basically doing it himself hahaha), but never buying them for himself - I suspect he felt like it was a childish use of money just buying them for himself.
This inspired me to buy him this diorama sort of kit of the dambusters plane flying over the dam for Christmas last year. It was a big hit, so this year I was thinking about buying him another diorama sort of kit. My question is, should I just try and find another diorama from Airfix? Do other companies do it better?

Good for you (and him). My first question is if he has paints and brushes and stuff already? If he does, I think it is a bit of a waste to spend the money on a box with mediocre paints and brushes, and a mediocre kit, if you could just get a better kit without the paints and brushes.

Does he have a preference for some certain thing, such as planes, ships or tanks? Personally, I'd be pretty stoked if I got a nice 1:35 scale tank, and a 1:35 scale diorama backdrop. For example, MiniArt do a ton of nice street dioramas to put a tank or something on, with everything from just a lamppost and a curb to a bombed out shopping street. Then you could get a 1:35 tank kit, and combine them into a pretty nifty present.

http://miniart-models.com/

For example, one of my first kits a bunch of years ago was a 1:35 kit of a T-34 made by Dragon, that I combined with a diorama base from MiniArt. Add a bunch of beginner mistakes and snow, and you got this:

(I didn't know how to take photos either, and I gave it to my dad so I can't take new ones. Sorry for the crap quality)

To me, that was more fun than an Airfix box, and probably in the same ballpark when it comes to cost.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Dec 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Dog
Dec 27, 2005

lilljonas posted:

- Miniatures/diorama

- Crapcar

- Pooplane

- Shitship

Sounds good?